Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gucci Loafers posted:

Any ideas on availability for newer Intel processors? Is it just basically Q1 2024 or do we know more than that?

It's a paper launch, they're all officially out and available now.

In the real world it looks like this one is going to be a slow roll. I wouldn't be surprised if Intel is giving big manufacturers some incentives to keep 13th gen products going for a while and Meteor Lake is low volume for the next few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
And laptops tend to lag behind a bit to. Typically 6-8 weeks on anything that isn't over priced flagship. The 14th Gen looks like a pretty small upgrade. Performance looks marginally better, the best updates are going to be optional TB5(which would still need to be gimped) and WiFi 7, which I don't think we'll see a lot of for a while

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Mental Hospitality posted:

My Asus strix g16 goes to sleep reliably every night after the required time of inactivity as evident by its pulsing power light, whether on AC or Batt power, but I've never tried to ascertain what, if any, power drain happens when unplugged. It is certainly powered down though but will wake to desktop in maybe 2 seconds after smashing the keyboard or power button.

That's how it's supposed to behave. The problem may occur if you put the laptop to sleep and then unplug it from the power source. The simple solution is to unplug it first and then put it to sleep, if you can't keep it plugged in. My new work laptop drained the battery few times over weekend, and when I started using that routine it hasn't happened again.

Linus Tech Tips did a video about this issue with some possible remedies.

Microsoft is Forcing me to Buy MacBooks - Windows Modern Standby

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm in the market for a laptop and it's been 4 years since the OP has been updated. Would somebody mind linking me whatever general infodump / decision tree the thread might be using these days if that exists? Or would it be more appropriate to just describe what I want to use it for and the thread will make recommendations on the fly?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I mean yeah the "general" recommendation is usually like a recent Thinkpad or M* Macbook, there's nothing more detailed as far as I know. If you describe your budget, intended use case, and any other preferences folks will be happy to get more specific.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Looking for a laptop to play Street Fighter 6, Elden Ring (and maybe other souls likes time to time), and Stellaris Nexus (and similar digital board game sorts).

Eyeballing the Legion with a 4060 / 32gb RAM for $1250 through B&H.

Pretty sure this’ll run everything I care for and do so well at a solid price and build quality? Am I off my rocker? Missing anything?

Walked fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 20, 2024

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Walked posted:

Looking for a laptop to play Street Fighter 6, Elden Ring (and maybe other souls likes time to time), and Stellaris Nexus (and similar digital board game sorts).

Pretty sure this’ll run everything I care for and do so well at a solid price and build quality? Am I off my rocker? Missing anything?

I picked up the 4070 version(i9-13900hx, 32GB ram, 1TB ssd) on sale at B&H recently and it's been running well. Replace the lenovo vantage software with legion toolkit and use throttlestop to undervolt/underclock and you should be good. I like how it doesn't really look like a "gaming" laptop, no dumb logos or neon colors.

One thing to note is if you need more gpu performance I think it's worth going for the 4080 since the 4070 mobile is kinda gimped but that would be a huge price jump.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Slider posted:

I picked up the 4070 version(i9-13900hx, 32GB ram, 1TB ssd) on sale at B&H recently and it's been running well. Replace the lenovo vantage software with legion toolkit and use throttlestop to undervolt/underclock and you should be good. I like how it doesn't really look like a "gaming" laptop, no dumb logos or neon colors.

One thing to note is if you need more gpu performance I think it's worth going for the 4080 since the 4070 mobile is kinda gimped but that would be a huge price jump.

Yeah I have a 4090 in my desktop so I just want something to carry the above games (mostly just couch board gaming and occasionally heavier stuff like SF6/Souls when I have extra downtime).

I actually ordered the 4080 and canceled it because I know it’s more beef than I likely need for the use case

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Walked posted:

Yeah, that's pretty solid. There are options with 16GB for more like 1000, or there is the OLED 14" Lenovo slim for about that price
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/911161

But the B&H option is solid.

GreatGreen posted:

I'm in the market for a laptop and it's been 4 years since the OP has been updated. Would somebody mind linking me whatever general infodump / decision tree the thread might be using these days if that exists? Or would it be more appropriate to just describe what I want to use it for and the thread will make recommendations on the fly?

What do you want to use it for and what's your budget?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Lockback posted:

What do you want to use it for and what's your budget?

Thinking about it, I've come up with some tangible things I'm looking for.

- 4K youtube videos will be the heaviest workload this thing is going to need to do graphically. Generally I'm looking for a good web browsing / email machine
- USB ports
- headphone/mic combo jack
- compatible with a docking station
- I don't think I'll need more than a single 512 GB primary drive.
- durable, not made out of cheap tupperware plastic (I don't need some super rugged outdoor camping computer or anything, just something that won't flex if I sneeze with it in my hands or whatever)
- relatively light. I'll be traveling with it.

This will not be my primary computer. I already have a gaming desktop and don't really care about laptop gaming so I've got the high performance thing covered with another machine.
As for budget, I really don't know. I'd like to find something under $1,000 but I might be able to go over that if it's got crazy good value.

vvv Thanks!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 21, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
You can get a T14 with a current gen i5, 16GB RAM/512GB storage, a couple of TB4 ports, and a weight right around 3lb for under $750 right now: https://www.lenovo.com/us/outletus/en/p/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpadt/thinkpad-t14-gen-4-(14-inch-intel)/21hdx007us

Presumably you already have a docking station if you're mentioning it, but if not I see used Lenovo TB3 ones on eBay for $20.

e: If you'd prefer a 2-in-1, Lenovo is selling the X1 Yoga with similar specs (just one generation older) for even a bit less - curiously enough, through eBay as well: https://www.ebay.com/itm/166541297084

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 21, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

4k YouTube decoding (h.263? 264?) is a hardware function pretty much every (all?) laptop will offer it at 60fps these days

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
H.264 (AVC) is standard for HD content. H.265 (HEVC) is more common for 4K but from a bit of searching it seems like YouTube in particular uses VP9 for 1440/4K (makes sense, as VP9 is a Google-developed codec and I'm pretty sure HEVC has licensing costs).

In any case, you're right that recent hardware should be able to decode all of them no problem.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 21, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah my codec info is probably at least a decade out of date

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah Yoga/T14 is the best bet. You may fine a Vivobook for a little less but I think the T14 is better for the money. It's a smaller screen but especially if you have a gaming rig at home I think you'll appreciate the portability more than the bigger screen.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

DildenAnders posted:

If you want, you can easily set up mint on a flash drive to test drive the GUI without much commitment.

I have successfully installed Mint on the Dell and it was a very pleasant experience! I think the hardest part was remembering how to get into the BIOS to get it to boot from the USB, but after that it was super simple and installed very fast. Everything worked out of the box except the fingerprint reader, which I read is a common thing. It sees the reader on the internal bus, but I guess has no driver.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Mental Hospitality posted:

I have successfully installed Mint on the Dell and it was a very pleasant experience! I think the hardest part was remembering how to get into the BIOS to get it to boot from the USB, but after that it was super simple and installed very fast. Everything worked out of the box except the fingerprint reader, which I read is a common thing. It sees the reader on the internal bus, but I guess has no driver.
I just did a fingerprint thing recently, it was pretty easy (ubuntu), it just involved adding an additional repo then doing a driver scan again and it pretty much just magically started working.
code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libfprint-tod1-group/ppa
sudo apt update
Then I guess for you whatever the mint way is of checking for drivers.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a recommendation for a USB-C/Thunderbolt dock, and I'm not sure that there's anything that will work for all devices in my scenario. I'm connecting a few different laptops to a 1440p 144hz monitor - a Thinkpad X1 Carbon gen 9, a new 15in MacBook Air, a 2020 Zephyrus G14, and a 2022 Flow X16. The Thinkpad and MacBook Air are my wife's, and as long as there's an image on the monitor, she couldn't care less if it's in HDR or 144hz, or not. I would like the other two laptops to take full advantage of the monitor. I know pretty much any hub that puts out 65-100 watts USB PD will work great for her use - I have one of the small hubs with the stubby cable connected now which works fine for her.

I think the G14 is the main issue, because if I'm not mistaken it has a flaw where it can't have USB PD connected at the same time as the barrel plug or it will fry itself. I don't think the X16 has the same issue. The G14 also only utilizes up to 65 watts of USB PD, which isn't near enough to run it full tilt. I would want to use the 240 watt barrel plug at the desk for either of my laptops 90% of the time.

Are there any hubs that will pass through 1440p HDR + 144hz over HDMI or DisplayPort and will still work without wall power (ie I can unplug the hub when I want to use the G14)? I'm resigned to just plugging in 3 things to my laptops otherwise.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

I think the G14 is the main issue, because if I'm not mistaken it has a flaw where it can't have USB PD connected at the same time as the barrel plug or it will fry itself.

Do you have a link to this? That's a pretty big claim

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hadlock posted:

It's true, I think it was only the 2020 version but make absolutely sure it's fixed before trying. And it's not a 100% thing but it happens enough that you don't want to try it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

https://x.com/PCMag/status/1745052973347045755?s=20

It starts at $2,199 which isn't bad but drat it's disappointing to see Thunderbolt continually behind. On the other hand is my math right you'd need an interface that supports 256gigabits per second? That seems way too high...

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 22, 2024

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Why would I want proprietary oculink over regular oculink?

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

I'm surprised we still haven't seen GPU Enclosure (the kind you stick your own GPU in) using Asus' XG connection yet.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Lockback posted:

It's true, I think it was only the 2020 version but make absolutely sure it's fixed before trying. And it's not a 100% thing but it happens enough that you don't want to try it.

That's funny, I think this same exchange happened like 3 years ago when I was trying to buy a monitor with the same concern.

I can't find anything concrete, are they replacing boards under any kind of warranty extension if this happens?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

No program that I was aware of. I don't think it was widespread enough, it wasn't a RRoD level thing. And it had to do with how the power relays switched. Basically when you first plugged it in there was a chance it wouldn't switch fast enough and both power inputs were lit up at the same time. So you had to plug both in, AND THEN the relay would have to be too slow AND THEN that would need to burn out a component before the relay kicked in (which also wasn't a guarantee). So the actual number of impacted laptops I think was relatively small.

OPs use case is a problem though.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lockback posted:

No program that I was aware of. I don't think it was widespread enough, it wasn't a RRoD level thing. And it had to do with how the power relays switched. Basically when you first plugged it in there was a chance it wouldn't switch fast enough and both power inputs were lit up at the same time. So you had to plug both in, AND THEN the relay would have to be too slow AND THEN that would need to burn out a component before the relay kicked in (which also wasn't a guarantee). So the actual number of impacted laptops I think was relatively small.

OPs use case is a problem though.

is there a male-female adapter that would pass through the video etc but not the power bc it wasnt rated for power?

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I'm getting cash for switching over to the VA and am thinking about getting a gaming laptop. Any recs?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Milosh posted:

I'm getting cash for switching over to the VA and am thinking about getting a gaming laptop. Any recs?

What is your budget?
What games do you play?
Is this going to be mostly sitting on a desk, mostly on the move, or a bit of both?

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

Lockback posted:

What is your budget?
What games do you play?
Is this going to be mostly sitting on a desk, mostly on the move, or a bit of both?

Budget 1-2k

I'd like to play Destiny and some newer FPS's

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Milosh posted:

Budget 1-2k

I'd like to play Destiny and some newer FPS's

Ideally a 4080 laptop but I'm not seeing any particularly good deals on those right now.

I'd probably suggest this guy (see there are some steps when you configure and use a coupon code) for $1349
https://slickdeals.net/f/17247442-lenovo-legion-pro-5-16-qhd-165hz-ips-ryzen-7-7745hx-rtx-4070-32gb-ddr5-1tb-gen4-ssd-win11h-1348-99-f-s

Or you'd probably be ok with a 4060 too (which is only slightly below a 4070, laptop GPUs are totally different than PC GPUs), so you can save some money with this at $849:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-L...=9383&sharedid=

Or for an inbetween pricewise the G14 is the king of portability, smaller form factor but really easy to bring around and has a pretty low power overhead at 1,049
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...ID=0&mpid=10451

This one can also be picked up at best buy to satisfy that impulse monster.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I've been scouring for a 4080 laptop for a while and they haven't dropped much in price ~$2k but there are great deals on 4060s or older 3000s for around ~$1.2k. What's really annoying is how so many sites don't let you search by the exact graphics card model.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gucci Loafers posted:

I've been scouring for a 4080 laptop for a while and they haven't dropped much in price ~$2k but there are great deals on 4060s or older 3000s for around ~$1.2k. What's really annoying is how so many sites don't let you search by the exact graphics card model.

Happens with GPUs too, you can search Amazon for a 4080 or a 4080 laptop and it’ll give you either GPUs or laptops but it won’t get more specific than that most of the time.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
What is the durability of the Lenovo slim pro line like? Primary use is games on long flights and it will live in my backpack next to my thicc work laptop.

Best Buy has an open box with a ryzen 7/3050/16gb ram and I need to replace my thinkpad by next weekend. I'd like a 2 in 1 with a graphics card again but getting one soon and cheap but still durable is higher priority.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Pretty durable, they're solid machines. Depending on your backpack a sleeve might not be a bad idea, or even one of those zip up protectors.

The 3050 is a low end GPU though, worse than most xx50s. The 3050ti is really the "real" GPU at that line. So depending on what your at playing I'd check benchmarks first.

The g14 is also on sale at great guy I think.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Better than what I had, I'm worried it will be like a cheap one where the hinges fall apart in a few months. Its replacing a 8 year old 2 in 1 Thinkpad with a 940m in it that died last July on the last hour of a transatlantic flight, it served me well. :patriot:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

No, build quality is very solid. The AGPU can run probably better than the 940m so for lots of stuff you may not even want to use the GPU and you can get like 5-6+ hours gaming on battery.

full point
Jan 21, 2006

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

lol, autocorrect mistake but I like it better

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It's the bastard child of Best Buy and Aussie store The Good Guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Did AMD just peace out from the mobile market or something? They had a whole rollout for their mobile 7000 GPU series last January and a pretty limp showing. The 7900m benches pretty well but it's in a lovely, overpriced Alienware, and so far none of the 2024 refreshes even have an AMD GPU.