Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I love me vampire lore, but I never understood the insane bloodlust. I mean, we as humans are surrounded by food almost all the time, and few of us go into frothing screaming rages and tearing into live animals/Twinkie boxes/eating fistfuls of raw cookie dough until we puke.

Are vampires supposed to be like those skullcrusher things on Skull Island, that never get full? Because at some point you gotta take a breather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I think I mentioned dumb vampire movie Daybreakers before.

they apparently have been harvesting human blood for years, but the human farms are failing and Peak Blood is approaching and reports of "ferals" are increasing. Near the end of the movie a bunch of very thirsty vampire cops go crazy for some of the remain humans.

oh and the 2nd cure is cured human blood so its like the infection in reverse, and the main baddie gets cured and then thrown to his own guards.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cowslips Warren posted:

In blade, I was always curious about how vampires were born. Do they need to drink blood as soon as they're born?

Cord blood keeps them going for a while.

Also the Ali/Dorff interplay in True Detective S3 was so good that when Ali signed on to be Blade I really wanted them to bring Dorff back somehow. Of course the whole thing probably isn’t happening anymore.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 03:58 on Jan 26, 2024

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I love me vampire lore, but I never understood the insane bloodlust. I mean, we as humans are surrounded by food almost all the time, and few of us go into frothing screaming rages and tearing into live animals/Twinkie boxes/eating fistfuls of raw cookie dough until we puke.

Are vampires supposed to be like those skullcrusher things on Skull Island, that never get full? Because at some point you gotta take a breather.

It's a curse from God based on some ancient jewish (and eventually christian) traditions that left him drinking or ravenous for blood. It showed back up in the 90's RPG Vampire: the Masquerade, but there's just a certain specific myth type of vampires that are eternally lusting for blood.

The Apocalypse of Moses posted:

And after this, Adam and Eve were with one another and while they were sleeping, Eve said to Adam her lord: 'My lord, Adam, behold, I have seen in a dream this night the blood of my son Amilabes who is styled Abel being poured into the mouth of Cain his brother and he went on drinking it without pity. But he begged him to leave him a little of it. Yet he hearkened not to him, but gulped down the whole; nor did it stay in his stomach, but came out of his mouth. And Adam said, 'Let us arise and go and see what has happened to them. (I fear) lest the adversary may be assailing them somewhere.'

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cowslips Warren posted:

They are always hungry because they are very sloppy eaters.

Come on, you've been alive how many centuries and still dribbling food out of your mouth.

Many are shockingly incompetent at extracting blood. Cut humans anywhere and they'll bleed, but nick their juggler and you're trying to drink from a fire hose. Ridiculous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_VWGV6_N9o&t=54s
Good job, pal. You just wasted 90% of the food value from that one. No wonder you're still hungry.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Reminder that Stoker's Dracula is canonically stupid:

Keromaru5 posted:

One detail I always found interesting from the original Dracula is Van Helsing saying in chapter 23 that the Count isn't actually all that intelligent, referring to him as having a "child-brain."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Have you never been to a Golden Corral??

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Keromaru5 posted:

The only interesting thing in Steven Moffats godawful Dracula adaptation was the idea that he absorbs memories and knowledge from the people he drains. He styles himself as a connoisseur of humanity, only drinking the best and most interesting people to enrich his life. Because of course a vampiric nobleman is gonna be a snooty classiest rear end in a top hat.

And there's a great bit of comedy where he's trying to seduce a German lady, but he hasn't had to speak German in about 500 years, so he quicky nips outside to eat a German cabin boy to give himself a refresher.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

I think I mentioned dumb vampire movie Daybreakers before.

they apparently have been harvesting human blood for years, but the human farms are failing and Peak Blood is approaching and reports of "ferals" are increasing. Near the end of the movie a bunch of very thirsty vampire cops go crazy for some of the remain humans.

oh and the 2nd cure is cured human blood so its like the infection in reverse, and the main baddie gets cured and then thrown to his own guards.

It's almost a competent critique of capitalism before it goes off the rails. It's a great scene for example where some vampires are selling blood but can't afford to buy it for themselves.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Have you never been to a Golden Corral??

i did say few of us.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

Keromaru5 posted:

That sure is a take on Van Helsing's statements that Dracula is the cleverest and most cunning, lol.

What's meant by child-brain is closer to what would later be called neurodivergence, though in Dracula's case it's a change caused by death. The Stoker vampire isn't just a human with a bulleted list of physical pros & cons, they have fundamental differences in thinking and processing information. It's pointed out in the novel that if he'd just accumulated resources over the centuries he'd be unstoppable by now, but some stuff that seems obvious to us only occurs to him slowly.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

not irritating, but i like when they say it like "vampir". it sounds more slavic to my scandinavian ears i guess?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Stonehouse Beach posted:

What's meant by child-brain is closer to what would later be called neurodivergence, though in Dracula's case it's a change caused by death. The Stoker vampire isn't just a human with a bulleted list of physical pros & cons, they have fundamental differences in thinking and processing information. It's pointed out in the novel that if he'd just accumulated resources over the centuries he'd be unstoppable by now, but some stuff that seems obvious to us only occurs to him slowly.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Yes, but what happens when Dracula tries to invade Earth?

E: It all ends well for him, though

Marcade has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Jan 26, 2024

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

Just stay away from the garlic bread.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
My IIMM is any vampire movie when they pick like ONE vampire lore fact and scoff at it like "oh duh you believe we have to be invited in, you've seen too many movies". Motherfucker, make up your own vampire lore all you want but don't pretend you're smarter than other vampire movies because in your universe crosses don't do poo poo or whatever. 99% of vampire movies are ridiculous in one way or another, don't pretend you're not.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its also strange that a succesful company that could finance an entire high rise in los angeles couldnt afford A3 paper, even in the 1980s

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Fil5000 posted:

My IIMM is any vampire movie when they pick like ONE vampire lore fact and scoff at it like "oh duh you believe we have to be invited in, you've seen too many movies". Motherfucker, make up your own vampire lore all you want but don't pretend you're smarter than other vampire movies because in your universe crosses don't do poo poo or whatever. 99% of vampire movies are ridiculous in one way or another, don't pretend you're not.

On that note, what are some movies that give vampires the full treatment? I'm talking about vampires that have to be invited in, get distracted by rice, can't cross running water, that sort of thing. The only example I can think of at all is an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Carthag Tuek posted:

its also strange that a succesful company that could finance an entire high rise in los angeles couldnt afford A3 paper, even in the 1980s

Do they even use A3 paper in the US?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

credburn posted:

On that note, what are some movies that give vampires the full treatment? I'm talking about vampires that have to be invited in, get distracted by rice, can't cross running water, that sort of thing. The only example I can think of at all is an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark?

That's raising the interesting point that Fil5000's IMM is I because nobody pays full attention to the lore. And the lore itself isn't consistent from place to place anyway. Terry Pratchett highlighted this in Carpe Jugulum, where someone asks a vampire where they come from before digging into a big sack for the regionally appropriate repellent.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I genuinely don't mind that noone pays attention to all the lore, it's literally just the smug "tch, why did you think a CROSS would stop me" writing that annoys me. I can't think of a single thing that uses all the lore, the old Hammer films are probably closest but most ignore stuff like counting grains of rice. I don't think "can't cross running water" comes up especially often either

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

credburn posted:

What's the "distracted by rice" one from? But other than that one, I think Renfield ticks all the vampire trait boxes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I think the rice one is a folkloric thing rather than from any specific story

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Randalor posted:

What's the "distracted by rice" one from? But other than that one, I think Renfield ticks all the vampire trait boxes.

It's where you leave a copy of Interview With the Vampire in a place where they might come upon it. They just can't help themselves.

For reals though, I can't find a specific story or source but old timey vampire folklore had them as being easily distracted by seeds or grains of rice. They'd be compelled to stop and count every single one. I believe that's the reason why the Muppet The Count loves counting.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Megillah Gorilla posted:

no their paper sizes are in 16ths of a football field but its a japanese company, and a very slick one. they would have used A3 irl.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Carthag Tuek posted:

no their paper sizes are in 16ths of a football field

US equivalent of tatami mats.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Fil5000 posted:

I think the rice one is a folkloric thing rather than from any specific story
I've always heard it was mustard seeds rather than rice but yeah, you could bury people with a bunch of them in the coffin and, if they were going to rise as a vampire, they would wake up and be compelled to count and sort all the seeds in the coffin before they could get out which would take up the whole night so...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
What We Do In The Shadows does most of the pop culture Hollywood lore except the running water thing, I think, since the vampires in the TV show *are* able to get off Staten Island.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re able to get of Staten Island because “water doesn’t have legs, of course it can’t run. Don’t be an idiot, Guillermo.”

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re able to get of Staten Island because “water doesn’t have legs, of course it can’t run. Don’t be an idiot, Guillermo.”

God bless those wonderful idiots :3:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Our closest equivalent is ledger paper (11"x17", compared to A3's ?11.5"x16"? I think approximates the dimensions), which is the equivalent of two letter sheets joined along a long edge. More common 'large' paper is legal (8.5"x14", compared to 11" long). Sorry, I'm not clicking back to my iPad's calculator to convert out of Freedom Units.

Where is this a plot point in Die Hard? (I assume this is what everyone's talking about.) I can see not having access to ledger if you're not in an actual print shop.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HopperUK posted:

What We Do In The Shadows does most of the pop culture Hollywood lore except the running water thing, I think, since the vampires in the TV show *are* able to get off Staten Island.

If vampires were vulnerable to running water it would present problems in modern environments because of plumbing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Once modern plumbing happened all vampires just starved to death because they could no longer live in cities.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

*matt berry voice*

HopperUK posted:

we are able to get off Staten Island

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Admiralty Flag posted:

Where is this a plot point in Die Hard? (I assume this is what everyone's talking about.) I can see not having access to ledger if you're not in an actual print shop.

when they blow up the accounting floor, all the paper flies out the windows, drifts down for the remainder of the movie

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

*matt berry voice*

My favourite discovery from the show was that they have, if anything, toned down Matt Berry's real-life level of creativity for Laszlo (who is an idiot but a very creatively accomplished idiot)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is more of a book complaint but it has always kind of bugged me in Dune how Dr Yueh's betrayal is supposed to blindside everyone because he has Imperial Suk conditioning which is considered unbreakable. Except the Baron is able to defeat it through the nefarious and circuitous plan of "telling Yueh that he is holding Yueh's wife hostage and will return her if he betrays Leto."

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

muscles like this! posted:

This is more of a book complaint but it has always kind of bugged me in Dune how Dr Yueh's betrayal is supposed to blindside everyone because he has Imperial Suk conditioning which is considered unbreakable. Except the Baron is able to defeat it through the nefarious and circuitous plan of "telling Yueh that he is holding Yueh's wife hostage and will return her if he betrays Leto."

There's a lot of things in Dune that are obvious that everybody in the books treats as extremely creative never before thought of genius plans.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Stonehouse Beach posted:

That sure is a take on Van Helsing's statements that Dracula is the cleverest and most cunning, lol.

I think another note has Stoker say Dracula lives entirely by instinct, though that's also not quite the way to put it given he's capable of long term planning. More that, yeah, he has a very different kind of intelligence, and being aware of his weaknesses and working around them, like his whole plan to be able to operate in England by installing caskets of his native soil, makes him a genius by vampire standards, especially compared to his 'brides' that represent other vampires in the story. Then there's the whole bit where he's single-handedly catering to his guest Jonathan Harker at the start doing the cooking and cleaning personally, which is treated as weird for someone who should have servants to do this kind of thing- and comes off interesting given he hasn't had to worry about those physical needs for a long time. (One movie had some fun with this) A lot of his behaviour is very predictable once you figure him out, with a lot of details in the story being about that, getting dismissed because the characters don't know what's going on, and even Van Helsing might never figure some things out that the reader can.

Fil5000 posted:

I genuinely don't mind that noone pays attention to all the lore, it's literally just the smug "tch, why did you think a CROSS would stop me" writing that annoys me. I can't think of a single thing that uses all the lore, the old Hammer films are probably closest but most ignore stuff like counting grains of rice. I don't think "can't cross running water" comes up especially often either

There's at least one movie where they toss a bag of rice in front of Dracula, who just immediately states the exact sum of them all and moves on, to general amazement.

Anime has a tendency to acknowledge a lot of traditional vampire weaknesses but have especially powerful vampires simply train to resist or ignore them. (Carpe Jugulum also comes to mind for playing with this) Vampire Hunter D has a fun bit where a sufficiently powerful vampire instead causes crosses to bend out of shape just by passing through the area, and on the other hand even he starts to catch figure in sunlight. And the hybrid D prefers to stay in the shade and even buries himself at one point to handle the day, though remaining conscious for part of it, treating it as more like a nap.

To be fair said wife was a Bene Gesserit who has implicitly used their signature pussy magic on him that makes his loyalty to her override his conditioning. That said, yeah, it's a common theme. Funny thing is 'The Beast' Rabban is treated like an idiot especially by the Baron, but he frequently raises entirely sensible issues that his uncle brushes off. (Of course, not helped that said uncle entirely intends to use him as a pawn to be disposed of)

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Jan 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea its a bit of a weak blackmail. its only his wife

perhaps suk conditioning is not effective at all, rather its a decent grift. you get to palpate nobles in the face and probably a good office, tasty meals

i think may be the idea that it suk conditioning is worth anything at all, is a bene gesserit falsehood