Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

Fangio feels like basically the only one who can pull it off and all the others are pale imitations. The Belichick of defensive coordinating
Wouldn’t Bill Belichick be the Bill Belichick of defensive coordinating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

indigi posted:

Brandon Staley seems like a bad hire for a lot of teams, feels like you need a strong "culture" type HC to keep that egghead working at optimum efficiency or he'll just revert to being a little loser

He seems too smart for his own good and focuses on scheme above all else, including his personnel. IIRC I read in one of these threads that he had the perfect defensive scheme, it's just that it's way too complicated to actually function as intended.

Staley and his ilk can master Madden, but they fail to realize that they're slotting real loving people in these schemes. Schemes only go as far as the people running them, and if you fail to adjust accordingly then your scheme is useless. You're never going to have the perfect personnel to run the scheme effectively 100% of the time, and it's idiotic to even assume so. That's why the best coaches know how to adjust and how to fit schemes around the players and their strengths.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Packers also looking at the Cowboys DL coach

https://twitter.com/toddarcher/status/1750959472225259786

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

He seems too smart for his own good and focuses on scheme above all else, including his personnel. IIRC I read in one of these threads that he had the perfect defensive scheme, it's just that it's way too complicated to actually function as intended.

Staley and his ilk can master Madden, but they fail to realize that they're slotting real loving people in these schemes. Schemes only go as far as the people running them, and if you fail to adjust accordingly then your scheme is useless. You're never going to have the perfect personnel to run the scheme effectively 100% of the time, and it's idiotic to even assume so. That's why the best coaches know how to adjust and how to fit schemes around the players and their strengths.

This, loving this.

Staley is an arrogant dork who always needs to be kept in check by a head coach with a real personality that the players respect. Anything less than that and he just might be the sort of rear end in a top hat who will get into a power struggle because he himself was a HC and still thinks he can do that job. Honestly, I don’t think he learned a loving thing from being fired midseason, and getting his GM fired too. If he did, great. But I’ll believe it when I see it.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

SKULL.GIF posted:

From looking around, Bills fans seem very upset by the idea of losing Babich and have been calling for the Bills to promote him to prevent that outcome.

He was safeties coach (Hyde/Poyer hit All-Pro) then became LB coach (Milano hit All-Pro). Playcalling aside he seems like an excellent coach for player development.

He's good. While he doesn't have experience calling plays that doesn't mean he'd be bad at it, and that could be attractive to him because McDermott won't give up play calling even if they promote him to DC.

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Playcalling aside he seems like an excellent coach for player development.

Are you implying that a team can... coach and develop?.... defensive players to do things like, tackle properly? I mean this isn't a QB's throwing mechanics that we are talking about here.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Benjamin Disraeli posted:

Are you implying that a team can... coach and develop?.... defensive players to do things like, tackle properly?

man Joe Barry did a number on yall

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Speaking of whom...

https://twitter.com/DMRussini/status/1750890297389625800

lol lmao

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

AndrewP posted:

man Bob Sanders, Dom Capers, Mike Pettine, and Joe Barry did a number on yall

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I want the Bills LB Coach.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Lurie just needs that security blanket of having absolute defensive poison as a backup option, I guess.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

SKULL.GIF posted:

From looking around, Bills fans seem very upset by the idea of losing Babich and have been calling for the Bills to promote him to prevent that outcome.

He was safeties coach (Hyde/Poyer hit All-Pro) then became LB coach (Milano hit All-Pro). Playcalling aside he seems like an excellent coach for player development.
Don't forget Terrel Bernard.

Beane drafts him in the 3rd last year. Everyone goes who? Only plays 10% of snaps his rookie year, mostly early on and doesn't impress. The public consensus is harsh on Beane for the draft pick. They let Edmunds walk off to Chicago last off-season, and don't sign anyone. Everyone is making GBS threads bricks that the team has no MLB. Bernard get's to be the starting MLB and wearing of the green dot. He ends having an insanely good year nobody was expecting (leads the team in tackles, has 6.5 sacks, 3 INTS, 3 FRs).

Also we lost Milano week 4, so he had to turn Tyrel Dodson in to a something that wasn't a car crash. I know it's PFF, but Dodson went from a career high of 57.9 over 2022-2022, to 89.5.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 26, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1751031835616792739?s=20

Done deal. Now to see if he keeps the DC and S&C coach.

A Sneaker Broker fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 27, 2024

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1751018789943062649?t=ascSzUtMYfvjkH6ov16tyw&s=19

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

A Sneaker Broker posted:

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1751031835616792739?s=20

Done deal. Now to see if he keeps the DC and S&C coach.

Aren’t both going with Harbaugh?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Adun posted:

Aren’t both going with Harbaugh?

I'd be shocked if the DC doesn't come with.

S&C coach is more up in the air

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

There was the extra wrinkle in another thread that tepper had blocked him from interviewing for the giants special teams coach, which has since been filled, cause tepper speed racing the snyder replacement

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

It's such a bullshit "rule" that coaches can be blocked by their team for interviewing the same position/job on a different team. Hard to imagine what that would be like as an everyday practice in the real world.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

EmbryoSteve posted:

It's such a bullshit "rule" that coaches can be blocked by their team for interviewing the same position/job on a different team. Hard to imagine what that would be like as an everyday practice in the real world.

Don't sign multi year contracts then?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
That’s true to a point, still lovely to not let a guy interview for an equivalent position, and fire him weeks after when a lot of those positions have been filled

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Pontius Pilate posted:

That’s true to a point, still lovely to not let a guy interview for an equivalent position, and fire him weeks after when a lot of those positions have been filled

Not only that, it's stupid if there is offset language in the contract.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Ayudo posted:

Someone announce Dan Quinn to the Seahawks! Cowboys fans are owed that much!

https://x.com/JaimeEisner/status/1750900909511479788?s=20

Carroll getting fired because his defenses kept getting shoved in a locker by McVay and Shanahan four times a year despite tons of high draft picks and FA contracts is funny enough, but if they turn around and hire Dan Quinn of all people to solve the problem?

:pray:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

EmbryoSteve posted:

Non-competes aren't that unusual (until recently on the West Coast anyway)

Pontius Pilate posted:

It's very lovely and I'm starting to wonder if the other owners are thinking Tepper's giving them a bad name only months after they got Snyder out.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Grozz Nuy posted:

Carroll getting fired because his defenses kept getting shoved in a locker by McVay and Shanahan four times a year despite tons of high draft picks and FA contracts is funny enough, but if they turn around and hire Dan Quinn of all people to solve the problem?

:pray:

It’s such malarkey! I don’t want it!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Did Bieniemy even get an interview outside of Washington this year?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Flikken posted:

Not only that, it's stupid if there is offset language in the contract.

Offset language in general is stupid

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Seahawks snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

https://x.com/josephperson/status/1751260411649814824?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Hawks should 100% lock him down.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Would be wild and awesome if the number of black head coaches in the NFL doubled next season.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ross Tucker says it's dumb we're letting coaches interview before the season actually ends: https://www.the33rdteam.com/ben-johnson-mike-macdonald-show-nfls-hiring-process-is-flawed/

quote:

The NFL's hiring process is still not good enough.

Despite new rules that were implemented beginning this year, the process for hiring head coaches in the NFL is still flawed.

Look no further than the fact that Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson had four interviews the two days before Detroit’s most important football game in over 30 years on Sunday.

Think about that for a second. One of the five to 10 people most responsible and integral to the success the Lions have had this season had the biggest interviews of his life the two days before the biggest game of his life.

If you don’t see how that's a major problem, I can’t help you.

Truthfully, it really isn’t about the interviews themselves — although Johnson having to allocate that kind of time and change whatever his normal routine would be on a Friday and Saturday of a game week is less than ideal. It’s more about the preparation both of those events demand for Johnson to be able to put his best foot forward in each instance.

For those unfamiliar with a typical NFL work week, the heavy lifting for coaches is done Monday and Tuesday preparing for their next opponent. That's when they develop the game plan they present to the players Wednesday. And there's more work to be done Wednesday and Thursday as the coaches tweak things based on how the team looks in practice, while also focusing on blitz periods on Thursday, red zone and short yardage situations on Friday, etc.

The point is: The hay was in the barn for the most part on Friday afternoon when the first two of Johnson’s four interviews took place.

We will never know the answer, but I'd love to know how time was invested into his duties for Detroit as opposed to preparing for the type of potentially life-altering interviews that could bring with it a contract for five-plus years at over $10 million per season. No matter how much Johnson loves working for the Lions, you have to assume he loves his family and his shot at his dream job even more.

And, frankly, even if he was able to properly prepare for both, he was burning the midnight oil at both ends.

That’s why I don’t think there should be any head coaching interviews until after the conference championship games that take place this weekend. The two teams that will play in the Super Bowl then have two weeks to prepare, so a virtual interview seems a lot more reasonable. For everyone else, their season will be over, so there will be no such conflict as the one that Johnson had to endure.

The league, to its credit, pushed back any in-person interviews for anybody still under contract with another club until this week, the week after the Divisional Round. Combining that with the mandatory two in-person interview minimum for minorities has certainly slowed down the process, which I think everyone will agree is a positive.

The process just unfortunately hasn't gone far enough.

Take the Tennessee Titans, for example. As soon as they were able to interview head coaching candidates in person this week, they hired former Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan on the same day they interviewed both him and Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Thomas Brown.

Perhaps Callahan was the best person for the job. But doesn’t it seem wrong for a team to hire a coach before the organization even has the ability to meet in-person with coaches such as Johnson or star Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Mike MacDonald?

Johnson and MacDonald are still off limits for in-person interviews, like all the coaches whose teams have made it to the Conference Championship games, until after Sunday’s games. Clearly, those candidates shouldn’t be asked to do in-person interviews this week. But is it fair that it seems like it might hurt them, at least in terms of the Tennessee job?

Why the sense of urgency for the Titans or other teams like them? Several reasons. For one, any team that has an opening is coming off a disappointing season and thus wants to turn the page both publicly and inside the building as soon as possible to get that taste out of their mouth and create some hope and promise for the fans. It’s understandable.

Teams also, at least in Tennessee's situation, were aware Callahan was scheduled for in-person interviews with two other teams and thus didn’t want to let him leave the building for fear he would strike a deal elsewhere.

Lastly — and importantly — there is a race among teams to get as good of a coaching staff as possible for the 2024 season. The sooner you hire a head coach, the sooner he can put his staff together, and sought-after assistants can lock in a job instead of waiting to see what could possibly happen somewhere else. Assistant coaches know that the NFL is a finicky business and that uncertainty is not their friend.

That’s why the Chicago Bears were smart to hire Shane Waldron as their new offensive coordinator in Chicago. Waldron likely would’ve had options elsewhere after the good work he did with Geno Smith the last couple of seasons, but the guaranteed job in Chicago was better than potentially getting left out in the cold later on this month depending on who gets hired as head coaches elsewhere.

The answer, in my mind, is simple, and I think the NFL realizes it, which is why the league took the significant steps it did this year to push all interviews of coaches still involved in the playoffs to the Divisional Round and all in-person interviews to after that.

Unfortunately, these moves still fall at least a week short in my mind.

As long as candidates such as Johnson have to juggle things the way he did last week or teams such as the Titans hire head coaches before they can even interview high-level candidates such as Johnson and MacDonald in-person, the system is flawed.

Hitting the pause button until after the conference championship games on all interviews and coaching hires would solve these issues.

NFL combine is 2/27-3/04 so if the NFL freezes interviews until after the SB they'd likely need to bump back the combine and free agency a couple weeks.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Senior defensive assistant/defensive line at the Bills goes to Chigaco
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1751261255841530122
I'm sure it'll be seen as a big loss inside the building, but probably less so by the fan base. There's been a lot of investment in the DL and it's never lived up to it. Went completely AWOL in the loss to the Chiefs. He hasn't always been given the right tools by Beane signing/drafting the right guys but he's had less of the midas touch than the other hot Bills name, Bobby Babich.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 27, 2024

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

As per Randy Mueller today no he didn’t. I am a Black Jamaican Canadian so I get the real racism inherent in the process but I’m starting to think he might have a Josh McDaniels personality. And he has to work on that

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Isentropy posted:

As per Randy Mueller today no he didn’t. I am a Black Jamaican Canadian so I get the real racism inherent in the process but I’m starting to think he might have a Josh McDaniels personality. And he has to work on that

This year was supposed to be his audition away from KC and Reid where he proved it wasn’t all Andy and unfortunately for him the Washington offense was kinda rear end, especially down the stretch.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

washington had a quarterback who basically was trying to commit suicide via sack

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Bills interviewing Bucs QB coach Thad Lewis for offensive coordinator.
...yes, it is *that* Thad Lewis.

Man, you make Baker Mayfield look decent and all of a sudden you're a hot commodity!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://x.com/JakeTHefner/status/1751273708189274119?s=20

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

R.D. Mangles posted:

washington had a quarterback who basically was trying to commit suicide via sack

Yea, I’m not saying Bienemy is to blame, but no matter the reason his standalone audition flopped.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Diva Cupcake posted:

No because it turns out he isn't actually a good coach and more importantly players loving hate him cause he does the Tom Coughlin hardass bulllshit with practices.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Man, you make Baker Mayfield look decent and all of a sudden you're a hot commodity!

What the gently caress why didn't anyone tell me that Rad Thad is a coach now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kurgarra Queen posted:

He's been getting hype for a couple seasons with the Bucs now. He will be the Bucs OC or someone else's this year or next I'd imagine.