Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

buffalo all day posted:

my only complaint is that I didn’t notice that the dang returning pike didn’t return to me and now I don’t know where it is!!

I had to reload a couple times because of that in my first playthrough, and even in this playthrough sometimes it won't return if she is the one that starts a fight. With the Gith Patrol fight I did that with her up on the bridge and she had to climb down and run over to it to pick it up although thankfully I had another few weapons that I could throw on my way. The Sussur Dagger disappearing when thrown also seemed to be a consistent bug, not sure if they fixed that. I was frustrated because being able to chuck a knife to silence a single target *should* be super good but nope, you can only do it once. It also seems like at the final boss you lose anything you throw since it just falls down a bottomless pit after hitting the boss, which sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

The portraits aren't in the way for me at 1080p. Perhaps something to do with resolution or the UI scaling setting? Or is this a thing on XBOX and not PC?

Yeah it's cause I was playing on my laptop which is 16:10 aspect ratio(2560x1600), might be able to fix it with a mod or something, dunno. Looks fine on my desktop

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

buffalo all day posted:

my only complaint is that I didn’t notice that the dang returning pike didn’t return to me and now I don’t know where it is!!

Previous run I lost mine in the Moonlight prison and later found it on a guard.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Moonrise Towers is a prime spot to lose it because any "you were seen committing murder, that's very naughty" cutscene can interrupt its return trajectory.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

https://i.imgur.com/qDs2jj5.mp4
Frost Sorc build is going well so far.

Got the ice patch ring from Last Light Inn, now I just need to rush over to Moonrise for the stylish Coldbrim Hat and save the tieflings for the Potent Robe.

One of my ideas is to make a Dragon Disciple Poison Sorc at some point but I don't know how well it would work as there unfortunately aren't a ton of poison spells in the game, and lots of enemies resist it.

But I always thought it would be cool to use some of that poisoner gear on a Sorc built for that and see how it goes. I'm sure it would be viable even if not great.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

exquisite tea posted:

Moonrise Towers is a prime spot to lose it because any "you were seen committing murder, that's very naughty" cutscene can interrupt its return trajectory.

I use invisible shovel to initiate all fights because of this

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I had to reload a couple times because of that in my first playthrough, and even in this playthrough sometimes it won't return if she is the one that starts a fight. With the Gith Patrol fight I did that with her up on the bridge and she had to climb down and run over to it to pick it up although thankfully I had another few weapons that I could throw on my way. The Sussur Dagger disappearing when thrown also seemed to be a consistent bug, not sure if they fixed that. I was frustrated because being able to chuck a knife to silence a single target *should* be super good but nope, you can only do it once. It also seems like at the final boss you lose anything you throw since it just falls down a bottomless pit after hitting the boss, which sucks.

I think it's that the pike won't return if the character who throws it either joins a fight in progress or starts a fight and once it goes to turn-based mode some other character has higher initiative and control switches to them.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 27, 2024

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I noticed that the pike also just takes longer to return in moonrise and if you end turn before it comes back, it won't.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mozi posted:

I think it's that the pike won't return if the character who throws it either joins a fight in progress or starts a fight and once it goes to turn-based mode some other character has higher initiative and control switches to them.

Yeah, this happens. Plus, as I very unfortunately learned when fighting Gortash in act 3, the spear of nyurna or whatever tends to disappear out of the game if you throw it at him. Scoured Wyrm's Rock to see if it had gone up or down through a floor but nope, just blinked out of existence. Probably happens with other weapons but I stopped throwing stuff at him after that.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I had the owner of Danthelons Dancing Axe just vanish from the game and I didn’t even throw him :gonk:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I use invisible shovel to initiate all fights because of this

That's a weird way of spelling basket

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
this game has the highest concentration of condescending haughty british women ever

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Eau de MacGowan posted:

this game has the highest concentration of condescending haughty british women ever

It has some rare subtypes of this type of person. I can't think of the last time I was exposed to a butch haughty British woman.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

f o r k

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Eau de MacGowan posted:

And I want to romance them all

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've been thinking about doing a heavy armour, str-based ranger. And idk what weapon type to go for

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Jay Rust posted:

I've been thinking about doing a heavy armour, str-based ranger. And idk what weapon type to go for

Club of Hill Giant Strength and Titanstring Bow?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Mr. Lobe posted:

It has some rare subtypes of this type of person. I can't think of the last time I was exposed to a butch haughty British woman.

are you talking about karlach? karlach’s not haughty or condescending which is why she rules

the only other two women ive encountered who arent haughty, condescending, and british is jaheira, who is haughty and condescending but not british, and nine-fingers, who is condescending and british but not haughty

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Trevor Hale posted:

And I want to romance them all

if minsc and jaheira are back, then theres always hope the og haughty condescending british woman viconia is back too :allears:

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Yo Orin mimicking Durge was sick. She doesn't do that to Tav right? I think I'd remember if she did.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Yo Orin mimicking Durge was sick. She doesn't do that to Tav right? I think I'd remember if she did.

That entire segment made me pretty desperately want a handful of voiced monolouges where it would make sense.
Honestly its pretty good at least for voice 5.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Don’t think so; but I also took the back way into the fight so she was utterly failing to hide how tilted she was.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Lawman 0 posted:

That entire segment made me pretty desperately want a handful of voiced monolouges where it would make sense.
Honestly its pretty good at least for voice 5.

Yeah that was the best bit, it's like oh poo poo that's my voice! Stop using that!!

I know people rave about Durge being the real game and I think not making it the default was the correct call, but... yeah it is the real game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Making Dark Urge optional was 100% correct, imagine the bellyaching over Fallout 4 forcing the player to have a specific backstory but a million times worse. That said I can't imagine without it, the connection to the Act 3 villains is huge alone. They must be just Some Assholes otherwise, right?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Ditching the original framing for the tadpole and not going Maximum Psychosexual was the real narrative mistake.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I actually greatly appreciate the Dark Urge not being the default story, as much as I greatly enjoy it.

The simple reason for that is that not everyone is here to buy in with that from the jump. It takes, I would say, I fair amount of trust to engage with a game putting the stuff Dark Urge gets up to front and center in good faith, and isn't pure Bloober Team-tier shlock/shock factor about it. And for how good BG3 is, that's a bar that Larian does not always clear, though they clear it enough to call it a good faith effort.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

mycot posted:

Making Dark Urge optional was 100% correct, imagine the bellyaching over Fallout 4 forcing the player to have a specific backstory but a million times worse. That said I can't imagine without it, the connection to the Act 3 villains is huge alone. They must be just Some Assholes otherwise, right?

I hate Gortash because he's such a dickhead to Karlach, and he comes up more in other ways as well I feel. Orin only really has a connection with Minthara, which makes how unfinished she is even more disappointing. I really wanna include her but she has even less to say about most of what's going on than the others. Her "Nobody would have remembered me." line is so good though.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Durge feels more like Vampire Bloodlines’ Malkavian where the player gets a lot more out of it having played once or twice already.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't think I would have enjoyed durge on my first run because the story is very specific and I wanted to play my own guy (basically elf Jack Bauer). As a second run it's great.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Cavelcade posted:

I hate Gortash because he's such a dickhead to Karlach, and he comes up more in other ways as well I feel. Orin only really has a connection with Minthara, which makes how unfinished she is even more disappointing. I really wanna include her but she has even less to say about most of what's going on than the others. Her "Nobody would have remembered me." line is so good though.

Oh yeah that's true, Gortash is actually involved in a lot of the plots in Baldur's Gate the city, including Wyll's, the gnomes, and even a small part in The Emperor's backstory. Orin lives in a cave, kinda difficult to network that way.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Durge feels more like Vampire Bloodlines’ Malkavian where the player gets a lot more out of it having played once or twice already.

100%

Monathin posted:

I actually greatly appreciate the Dark Urge not being the default story, as much as I greatly enjoy it.

The simple reason for that is that not everyone is here to buy in with that from the jump. It takes, I would say, I fair amount of trust to engage with a game putting the stuff Dark Urge gets up to front and center in good faith, and isn't pure Bloober Team-tier shlock/shock factor about it. And for how good BG3 is, that's a bar that Larian does not always clear, though they clear it enough to call it a good faith effort.

Also agree with this because the content in the first act honestly almost made me give up on it because the over the top edginess of it.
Frankly the dark urge is in general in pretty obvious need of some script/scene editing and sprucing up to things like companion reactivity especially which is a bit of a mess.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 28, 2024

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've played through as Tav on PC and have a second Tav in Act 2 making some different choices and playing on Tactician, and I'm halfway through Act 3 on my first PS5 playthrough as Tav... I like making characters.

But I started a Durge playthrough today so I can stop avoiding all the spoiler tags about the differences in the stories. I don't really enjoy playing evil in RPGs so I'm probably going to be resisting. It's also my first guy character and also my first dragonborn! :shobon:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

I've played through as Tav on PC and have a second Tav in Act 2 making some different choices and playing on Tactician, and I'm halfway through Act 3 on my first PS5 playthrough as Tav... I like making characters.

But I started a Durge playthrough today so I can stop avoiding all the spoiler tags about the differences in the stories. I don't really enjoy playing evil in RPGs so I'm probably going to be resisting. It's also my first guy character and also my first dragonborn! :shobon:

I really, really like the default look of the dark urge when I actually started up as him on a lark and got a good look at it. Very striking with all the coloring and the red eyes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Default Durge is indeed a great-looking design and Dragonborn really runs away with the Rip and Tear look. I want to make a custom Durge but it's hard to improve on.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I did change default Durge a little bit, mostly different head frills and slightly different coloring but it is a cool look. I've also never played a sorcerer which seems like it will be fun!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Shumagorath posted:

Default Durge is indeed a great-looking design and Dragonborn really runs away with the Rip and Tear look. I want to make a custom Durge but it's hard to improve on.

Human old jerk with a big moustache for me.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Eau de MacGowan posted:

are you talking about karlach? karlach’s not haughty or condescending which is why she rules

the only other two women ive encountered who arent haughty, condescending, and british is jaheira, who is haughty and condescending but not british, and nine-fingers, who is condescending and british but not haughty

Laezel is pretty butch, real insistent on being the strongest and toughest

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Lawman 0 posted:

100%

Also agree with this because the content in the first act honestly almost made me give up on it because the over the top edginess of it.
Frankly the dark urge is in general in pretty obvious need of some script/scene editing and sprucing up to things like companion reactivity especially which is a bit of a mess.

Re: Companion reactivity, it is extremely funny to me how (early Durge spoilers) After you kill The Bard, if you try to go "hey, guys I uhhhh might be a serial killer? I literally came to mid post-death mutilation of the body" every one of your companions go 'ehhhh it's probably a tadpole thing, let's not worry about it', especially because it's obvious that Larian doesn't account for you trying to spill the beans that early.

You're right though that it's more than a bit of a mess.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 28, 2024

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Monathin posted:

Re: Companion reactivity, it is extremely funny to me how (early Durge spoilers) After you kill The Bard, if you try to go "hey, guys I uhhhh might be a serial killer? I literally came to mid post-death mutilation of the body" every one of your companions go 'ehhhh it's probably a tadpole thing, let's not worry about it', especially because it's obvious that Larian doesn't account for you trying to spill the beans that early.

The main ones I got on my mind that need improvement are the following.
1:moonrise towers entrance
2: mind flayer colony revelations
3: Bhaalspawn revelation
4: meeting gortash
5: reactions to rejecting Bhaal especially from romanced companions.

The script is so overstuffed though that I don't think they need to go too crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Monathin posted:

The correct option is to blame Astarion