Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Ok was wondering if it was worth anything. I saw Matt Riddle signed with the MLW promotion after being let go from the wwe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok was wondering if it was worth anything. I saw Matt Riddle signed with the MLW promotion after being let go from the wwe.

MLW is the same now as it was during its first iteration: a roster of talented guys completely half-assing it and a handful of toxic dickheads who've burned all their other bridges.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

How is Major League Wrestling? Or is it too big to be an indy? I get it pushed on youtube all the time.

MLW is basically the biggest joke in wrestling. They pay really poorly and wrestlers would do it for "TV exposure" but they don't really have TV. So wrestlers just half rear end their shows leading to MLW being the most boring product to watch. It's not really too big to be an indie since there are indies bigger than MLW. At least the NWA is weird bad, MLW is just boring bad.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/WCProOfficial/status/1748457806062359021?s=20

In 2024 I am going to watch more West Coast Pro.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I saw Bad Boy Joey Janela smack a guy in a wheelchair last night it was a work ya marks but still really something I did not expect to see at the indies

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2Suvvfrd93/

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That was obviously self defense on Joey's part. The other dude was about to rush him

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

There's a great payoff later where Ricky uses the wheelchair to put Joey through a door.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:siren: A reminder that you have until midnight on January 24th to get in your Top Ten Lists for this year's Top Ten Favorite Wrestlers of the Year Thread. :siren:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/defyNW/status/1749492589043044427

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hey all, I extended the deadline for submissions for The Top Ten Active Wrestlers of 2023 Thread, please pop by and add in a Top Ten before midnight Eastern of Friday, January 26th!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.instagram.com/luchaxlucha/p/C2GKG45PBHv/

Super stoked to see a bunch of fun indie lucha at my hometown's oldest movie theater and support some local pro wrestling.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

You know you're too tired from work when you read this and think "I thought Daniels that he was never going to the Curry Man gimmick again", before looking at the picture, re-reading the text and realising "Oh wait, it's Daniels VS Curry Man".

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

hello indie goons, here is a thing that is happening in a couple weeks for anyone in the DC area:

https://twitter.com/FlyingVTheatre/status/1729962516761972931

this is the second time super art fight (a wrestling-esque drawing competition) and flying v (a local indie in silver spring, md) have teamed up for an event, this time it's a two-night deal with art fights on night one and pro wrestling on night two

https://twitter.com/SuperArtFight/status/1736916353821339823

here is the night one main event where two artists (including my dumb rear end) team up with two real actual pro wrestlers in a drawing competition. insane that this is happening lol

if you've got time to kill on january 26-27 come check it out ok!! thank you god bless

hey this went well

https://twitter.com/JayLeeAC/status/1751101063308972174?t=H1ZV7_mHM06-XkLoUC8Z7g&s=19

night two tomorrow!

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004
Just went to my second Pro-Wrestling Revolver show. Long story as short as possible: My wife's ex has a step-grandson who's father is totally out of the picture and mother is mostly out of the picture. So his aunt, who is mid-20's, has a huge part in raising the boy who is 9. The aunt and my wife are close and we don't have any kids (currently trying) so we've been going to his basketball games to support him and to try and be supportive people in his life. We learned he likes wrestling (WWE) although he's not a superfan or anything.

Anyway, we had talked about taking him (his name is Roman lol) to a wrestling show and I figured we would just wait til WWE came to town. She ended up buying tickets to PWR without my knowledge. We've been to one PWR show before and had a really fun time. This is a Dayton show, she had never been to an indie level show before and loved the atmosphere. When I found out it was PWR I was a little aghast and told her she should make sure Roman's aunt knows there will be ton's of f bombs and possibly blood. The aunt was non-plussed but I was still worried because she had also told us that when "the wrestlers get too intense he gets pretty upset" and given he watches WWE I don't even know what too intense would be. All this to say I was extremely nervous about the show.

The place was packed, way moreso than our previous visit a year prior. I'm not sure if it was Mox having a match (last time he was there but just cut a promo) or just the wrestling scene but there was almost nowhere to stand inside the little gymnasium. I don't like crowds so I hung out right by the exit while my wife, Roman, his aunt and her boyfriend went in and got a halfway decent spot.

To my dismay the first match was Masha Slamovich vs. Jake Something. I think intergender matches can be cool but a minute into the match Jake Something just wallops Masha in the face, something he did over and over again during the match. I could see Roman covering his eyes and looking distressed. Later I heard it was because he thought it was too loud but I question that because even I felt a little uncomfortable. That said, it was a good match, Masha won which everybody loved, the boy went wild.

From there everyone had a great time. We did not stay for the main event as Dayton is over an hour away from us and it was well after 10 pm. But at intermission Roman checked in and was over the moon. His aunt had given him earplugs. He loved Myron Reed (who is amazing) and really enjoyed when they brought doors out and were going through those. Sami Callahan had a really fun match with a guy I don't know (maybe JT Dunn?) and bit a lemon and squirted it in the guys eyes and papercuts he had administered. There were legos too. I had never see Alpha Sigma Sigma, but the crowd loved them. Maclin was there and was great. Mance Warner too, although he also hit a woman which seems like a weird thing for a good guy to do. To be fair when he first played it up like he was going to hit her he instead poked her eyes, but then he did the Dusty bionic elbow to her head. There was a really fun tag match with the Rascals and the Grizzled Young Vets as well as RED (Ricky Shane Page and another guy).

Anyway, PWR is a really fun time although they do not at all enforce the seating. We had tickets for third row and when we showed up all the seats were taken and the staff was clearly on our side but did not/could not do anything to remedy it. I enjoy standing so no big deal. It s a fun atmosphere, an astounding amount of f-bombs dropped despite tons of kids, but it is very cool to see a thriving small-time wrestling promotion. Crowd was into every match, there was a chubby kid running around in a Sting mask cracking me up, and Jessica Havok, Sami Callahan and Crash Jackson all were milling around lots of the time. I'd recommend going but unsure if bringing a 9 year old is the move. We'll be taking him to a WWE show and he'll probably be bored out of his mind. He was super pumped about the show though and it's heart warming to think he might become a real wrestling fan someday (although I'm not a basketball fan, his games are enthralling for the kid drama and I am becoming a basketball fan).

Anyway, PWR is cool, I would recommend going if it's nearby. So far I haven't seen a ton of technical wrestling but there's always several really fun gimmick matches on the card and being 40 feet from a wrestling ring (in the last row) is a fun time. Five stars

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Dayton was such a hotbed before the pandemic, loss of venue, and a lot of unfortunate incidents shut down the local promotion. I was thinking of going to that PWR show myself but I'm not ready yet and it wasn't at a good time. Really glad you had a fun time. I'll always have a soft spot for Sami and Revolver, and a lot of those talents are great ones that wrestle in Ohio often. Depending on where you're at I can also recommend Unsanctioned Pro in Columbus, as well as when GCW stops by there.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

This is awesome I wish I could attend. Congrats!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

inconsequential posted:

It s a fun atmosphere, an astounding amount of f-bombs dropped despite tons of kids, but it is very cool to see a thriving small-time wrestling promotion.

At the Saturday night Deadlock show last week, the dad in front of me was encouraging his kid (maybe kindergarten age) to chant cusses. Kinda weird, but I'm not a parent and hey, if you're going to do it, that's the place.

Also this Bobby Hill-looking kid sitting right by the ramp was screeching "gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" at every heel all night,` but especially at Alec Price and Adam Priest. They deserved it - perfectly detestable - but it was cracking me up.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

At the Saturday night Deadlock show last week, the dad in front of me was encouraging his kid (maybe kindergarten age) to chant cusses. Kinda weird, but I'm not a parent and hey, if you're going to do it, that's the place.

that wasn't a dad and his kid, that was Pulse and Johnny

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Dayton was such a hotbed before the pandemic, loss of venue, and a lot of unfortunate incidents shut down the local promotion. I was thinking of going to that PWR show myself but I'm not ready yet and it wasn't at a good time. Really glad you had a fun time. I'll always have a soft spot for Sami and Revolver, and a lot of those talents are great ones that wrestle in Ohio often. Depending on where you're at I can also recommend Unsanctioned Pro in Columbus, as well as when GCW stops by there.

I’m actually in Cincinnati, I think we have a very small indie here but I’ve never checked it out, that’s next on my list. Would definitely trek to Cbus for GCW sometime

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just wanna give a heads up to check out AAPW’s stream tonight at 8 central. They’re a wrestling school here in Austin where a lot of really good talent is and has come from. But tonight they’re doing one of their drag wrestling shows. They usually do it 2 to 3 times a year. They got drag queens they got wrestling it’s a really fun show and my buddy Eric has started doing commentary for them.

https://twitch.tv/officialaapw

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The_Rob posted:

I just wanna give a heads up to check out AAPW’s stream tonight at 8 central. They’re a wrestling school here in Austin where a lot of really good talent is and has come from. But tonight they’re doing one of their drag wrestling shows. They usually do it 2 to 3 times a year. They got drag queens they got wrestling it’s a really fun show and my buddy Eric has started doing commentary for them.

https://twitch.tv/officialaapw

Hey, that’s my old school! Can’t say enough good about them. I trained for a bit with VertVixen and Jazmine Allure who are the most successful from that batch of students, and also just the nicest people. I miss that place a ton and dream daily of putting a ring in my garage so I can just do drills and stuff because of it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

Hey, that’s my old school! Can’t say enough good about them. I trained for a bit with VertVixen and Jazmine Allure who are the most successful from that batch of students, and also just the nicest people. I miss that place a ton and dream daily of putting a ring in my garage so I can just do drills and stuff because of it.

Me and my friends have been going almost every week since we learned about them. It’s like a ten minute drive from my house, but yeah it’s insane how much top tier talent comes from them and how well done their weekly show is.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The_Rob posted:

Me and my friends have been going almost every week since we learned about them. It’s like a ten minute drive from my house, but yeah it’s insane how much top tier talent comes from them and how well done their weekly show is.

Before I left I gifted them some semi-professional headsets for the commentary team and I was happy to hear they still used them a couple years on. Much better than sharing one mic on a table-top mic stand like we were doing before.

Really love that they moved to some cameras on the floor too because it used to just be a single hard cam.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

Before I left I gifted them some semi-professional headsets for the commentary team and I was happy to hear they still used them a couple years on. Much better than sharing one mic on a table-top mic stand like we were doing before.

Really love that they moved to some cameras on the floor too because it used to just be a single hard cam.

There’s a smoke machine now too.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The_Rob posted:

There’s a smoke machine now too.

Hell yeah. I love that for them.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

inconsequential posted:

I’m actually in Cincinnati, I think we have a very small indie here but I’ve never checked it out, that’s next on my list. Would definitely trek to Cbus for GCW sometime
My non wrestling fan friends live in Covington so I dragged them to a flophouse show at the rhinegheist when they ran Cincinnati and they had a blast so now they hit up nwf every month. Nwf is very very much not a super indie like revolver, you're not gonna see TV stars there, but my friends have nothing but good things to say about the experience and it sounds a good deal more kid friendly than a super indie or gcw would be.

E: forgot the link
https://www.facebook.com/nwfwrestling/

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Promoters need to stop with this having talent fly over without a visa poo poo.

https://twitter.com/RighteousReg/status/1751446026576429413

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
that's doubly lovely because it no doubt affects her future ability to enter the country to work

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Aw man, not VENY. That sucks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

that's doubly lovely because it no doubt affects her future ability to enter the country to work

100% a 5 year ban.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Tweet was deleted. What happened?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Dango Bango posted:

Tweet was deleted. What happened?

This:

quote:

Veny the freelance Japanese women’s wrestler was supposed to appear on this west coast pro show tonight but she arrived in America earlier this week, was immediately detained, held for a few days and DEPORTED back to Japan.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Wow that loving sucks. Was wondering why she got to the US and then just left.

I really hope this doesn't gently caress things up for her.

She hasn't had the greatest track record for US experiences.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 28, 2024

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

:stare:

Wasn't VENY the one who had to stay with the creep too?

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Dango Bango posted:

:stare:

Wasn't VENY the one who had to stay with the creep too?

Yeah Wrestle Queerdom was a bad time for her. IIRC she was straight up like "don't ask me about it" when she got back to Japan.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

MassRafTer posted:

100% a 5 year ban.

fuuuuuuuuuuuck that sucks

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I had an inkling that the sudden burst of Joshi in the country was not on the up and up in terms of visas

Although West Coast Pro should have known and protected her better

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
If I had to guess 90% of imports working the US Indies are trying it on a tourist visa - and that includes Indies like WCP or GCW that are bigger and so have that higher perceived legitimacy. Some places do it but like there's a reason why Sukeban telling people low key 'we are getting visas for wrestlers' was a big story. This is primarily because US immigration law is very bad on this - to get a visa you basically have to prove why the person you are bringing in is going a job that you cannot give an American and unsurprisingly 'Japanese wrestlers are uniquely good' is not an argument you can make.

What appears to have happened here (I know nothing specific; this is informed speculation) is the guy behind Kitsune is trying to do things properly so has applied for visas for everyone on that show; but that means that until a visa is given they are sort of suspicious about anyone coming in on a tourist visa that also has an application for a work visa and that might have triggered here. That guy has done a lot of very silly things but you 100% cannot fault someone for trying to do things properly; the issue is the promotions that don't do that but rely on imports will cause issues. The promotion is telling people that she told them she had a work visa but didn't - but that means nothing; because the promotion will not say anything that implies they encouraged someone to travel illegally to the US for legal reasons. Kitsune are apparently announcing card changes for their March show because of this - they've announced like two matches so that probably means they are facing some big problems; and its another example of why a promotion based on 'we fly in foreign wrestlers' is not a viable formula unless you are based in that country and the US is a secondary market.

Netsky
Jun 24, 2004
I AM THE STREET

poo poo that sucks I was really looking forward to Veny v Takumi Iroha tonight. I hope its not West Coast Pro loving up because they're doing a full-on Marvelous show when they come back to SF in March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Considering how much joshi wrestling is kinda popping off in the States, that really, really sucks for her.