Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Saw this on the Godzilla reddit and he captures the motions and cinematography perfectly. I'm glad this little relic from 1991 is still around. I'd call it "Godzilla: One(Man Show)" if it was made today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0NQX6bSp4A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

seeing it tomorrow, pumped!

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Haven't seen it yet and can't decide between color or no.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Amechwarrior posted:

Saw this on the Godzilla reddit and he captures the motions and cinematography perfectly. I'm glad this little relic from 1991 is still around. I'd call it "Godzilla: One(Man Show)" if it was made today.

Speaking of fanmade relics, someone uploaded a new version of Legendary Beast Wolfman vs. Godzilla recently which had a few minutes of new footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DH6hJG0HOg

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Wolfman_vs._Godzilla

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Amechwarrior posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0NQX6bSp4A

lmao I haven't seen this in so long I completely forgot about King Gidorah showing up and just saying "nope" and flying away :xd:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Outside of a few standout scenes like that, I thought the new version actually looked fairly muddled. That could just be the projection, of course (how many theaters would optimize settings for a black and white screening, or really do anything requiring effort any more?) but I think it is just as likely the nature of converting from color. I'm looking at the Criterion original Godzilla right now, and its B&W presentation is definitely superior to what I saw with -1 today. It wasn't awful or anything, and I'm still glad I saw it, but I was slightly disappointed by the presentation.

I saw the color version on an IMAX screen, and I think I missed the amazing sound from that theater more than the picture differences. It really adds a lot to the showing when you can feel every step Godzilla takes.

I enjoyed the movie itself just as much the second time, or maybe even more. The two hours absolutely flew by. It was also nice that the B&W version and the Oscar nomination seemed to draw in more people. It was in a large theater and it was about half full, and people were raving about the movie on the way out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Aw man that sucks

I procrastinated too much and now there are no color showings of Godzilla near me

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MagDaVeloRaptr/status/1749533928405250062

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

doesn't really look accurate to the movie or to any version of godzilla, really.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Mantis42 posted:

doesn't really look accurate to the movie or to any version of godzilla, really.

idk, I think it accurately conveys how weird the puppet looks compared to the suit

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mantis42 posted:

Apparently the colors for the figure are based on what people have said the actual suit looked like

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s weird, I feel like Shin Ultraman came out pretty quick on blu

How is Shin Ultraman and Kamen ridee for the person who hasn't seen anything from either franchises?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Speaking of fanmade relics, someone uploaded a new version of Legendary Beast Wolfman vs. Godzilla recently which had a few minutes of new footage

thanks for posting this. i bought a bootleg once that padded the wolfman footage with scenes from noroi (2005) to make a feature length film, very bizarre

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Kamen ridee

Not another CU!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

This owns I want it

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Wow. I never knew about that. Sad that it wasn't able to be completed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shageletic posted:

How is Shin Ultraman and Kamen ridee for the person who hasn't seen anything from either franchises?

Shin Kamen Rider rules but it's very much a super hero movie. Don't go into it expecting Shin Godzilla 2.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
shin kamen rider is also basically several episodes of a show condensed into one movie with clean breaks in between. i really loved it and I've seen very little kamen over the years

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Shin Ultraman I absolutely loved, but I’ve also seen lots of the Ultra shows and enjoyed all the references.

Shin Kamen Rider I was pretty bored by until the back half when I started to really enjoy it, but I’ve only ever seen a handful of clips of the original show that a friend sent me.

So ymmv pretty greatly on both depending on your exposure to the two shows.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I was the opposite and was really into the start of SKR and then was bored by the end. I’ve never really been a huge Rider fan and I was hoping it would convert me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm no longer going to rewatch Minus One tonight. My reason to go canceled.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The sofubi community is going loving ape poo poo over this one and if it is an Anraku Ansaku sculpt as I suspect it is then it is going to be a bloodbath trying to get one. I figure it will show up on second hand markets for $1000+ almost immediately afterwards.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm no longer going to rewatch Minus One tonight. My reason to go canceled.

Ask if you can convert one of the tickets to the next showtime so you can watch it twice.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I read that Ultraman Orb is the best series to start with for newcomers. Is that true?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I didn't need to see it in black and white but I'm glad I did

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Just got back from Minus One, Minus Color (my second viewing overall, my son's third). It was great, I'm glad I saw it, but if you miss this version, I wouldn't feel like you missed out on anything dramatically better or different from a standard showing. I more or less forgot about it not too long into it.

I am genuinely surprised that no one has mentioned the extra scene with the fourth wall-breaking shot. When The Kid talks about how upset he is that he missed out on the war, Shikishima says, slowly turning his head to look into the camera, "In war, not everything is...black and white."

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dangerous Person posted:

I didn't need to see it in black and white but I'm glad I did

Do you think watching Godzilla for the first time in black-and-white will be a good experience, or should I watch it in color first

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'd go with color if it's an option because that's what it was originally shot for but if black and white is the only option it's still very much worth seeing in a theater

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Saw (color) minus one today, it owns. Just 100% sincerity, a welcome approach from the rest of the Film industry.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Same. I think that was the case with -1, shodai, and shin.

When Shin first comes on land, that whole sequence very effectively conveys that Godzilla isn't happy about this either.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

I read that Ultraman Orb is the best series to start with for newcomers. Is that true?

Orb is very good. It's also non-standard for an Ultraman series, with the crew being just some randos with a website intead of super science cops, a strong romance, and the lead character not being Ultraman.

It's an excellent show in general and a good entry, if you're ok with the fact if you watch another Ultraman show after, whatever it is, it will be different.

I actually recommend Orb as the best entry point to the franchise for Tokusatsu fans especially, because it cranks up to 11 what Ultraman does differently from other Toku shows.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

holefoods posted:

I was the opposite and was really into the start of SKR and then was bored by the end. I’ve never really been a huge Rider fan and I was hoping it would convert me

Same for me. I'm not sure what people got out of it. The fight choreo got worse every fight after the superspeed lady, and while that may have been on purpose I just didn't care for it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Gripweed posted:

Orb is very good. It's also non-standard for an Ultraman series, with the crew being just some randos with a website intead of super science cops, a strong romance, and the lead character not being Ultraman.

It's an excellent show in general and a good entry, if you're ok with the fact if you watch another Ultraman show after, whatever it is, it will be different.

I actually recommend Orb as the best entry point to the franchise for Tokusatsu fans especially, because it cranks up to 11 what Ultraman does differently from other Toku shows.

Thanks. So far it is pretty wild. Also Tubi has tons of Ultraman stuff.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Managed to see Minus Color tonight with a bunch of people who hadn't seen it before.

Nothing quite like seeing kids at their first Godzilla movie.

And yeah, the neck bit is much more obvious in black and white.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

everyone should start with the first Ultraman series, just because it's amazing seeing 60s kaiju suits being beaten to absolute death by that giant psychopath. just utterly brutalized. stop Ultraman, stop, you'll say, he's already dead

this one https://a.co/d/8ffBGfu

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

that dude would give an awakened eva a run for their money

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If you’re starting with the classics you might as well start with Ultra Q. What if The Twilight Zone mainly dealt with giant monsters?

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

good point. ultraQ is very weird

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Don’t know if this thread is aware of this site, but they have a ton of Kaiju (esp ‘zilla) stuff and jusy about every weekend they have been doing free international shipping on orders of any size: https://www.suruga-ya.com

I’ve made.. many orders with them and they all come to the U.S. within about a week. Everything I have bought has been in great shape.

The only qualm I have with the site is its using machine learning for JP -> ENG translations and that can really end up funky/break things like search queries on there.

Its awesome to buy a hard to find DVD for like $3 with 0 shipping cost and then rip it with something like MakeMKV to watch on any device.

Thinking of picking up some UltraQ stuff from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

everyone should start with the first Ultraman series, just because it's amazing seeing 60s kaiju suits being beaten to absolute death by that giant psychopath. just utterly brutalized. stop Ultraman, stop, you'll say, he's already dead

this one https://a.co/d/8ffBGfu

My favorite episode of this is the one about Seabozu, the sad monster that fell from space and is crying cause it wants to go back to space and iirc Ultraman beats him up for good measure anyway