Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

We thought about getting into overanalyzing adult German culture too, but that jobs was already taken by the Dutch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Hmm, die Geister die ich rief werden mir langsam unheimlich?
Was tun?

Ach, eigentlich sind es GRÜNE geister. Ja macht Sinn!

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Hello again, Germany Thread!

Turns out I'm going to be back in Berlin this summer, and found out Polyphia is playing on June 17th. I don't have as free ticket or anything this time, not yet anyhow, but if y'all aren't tuned into them yet and like some awesome prog rock, check it out.

Polyphia Berlin, Columbiahalle, 17 Jun 2024

So, this is apparently just going to be my thing... going to concerts in Berlin and trying to get some of you people to show up.

Anyhow, here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zEU8qqumSA

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Bel Shazar posted:

Hello again, Germany Thread!

Turns out I'm going to be back in Berlin this summer, and found out Polyphia is playing on June 17th. I don't have as free ticket or anything this time, not yet anyhow, but if y'all aren't tuned into them yet and like some awesome prog rock, check it out.

Polyphia Berlin, Columbiahalle, 17 Jun 2024

So, this is apparently just going to be my thing... going to concerts in Berlin and trying to get some of you people to show up.

Anyhow, here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zEU8qqumSA

hello to you too, Bel Shazar from the band Polyphia :D

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Odd way to do promotion of your (favorite) band, you might get 2 or 3 people to come if you're lucky? I know a prog rock enjoyer who frequently goes to Berlin though (my monitor is on) so I'll pass it along to him. So maybe this promotion isn't terrible idea anyway. 😅

InappropriateJazz
Aug 3, 2013

Nektu posted:

Was tun?

Jesus fick, mittlerweile lese ich lieber den Cursed Images Thread als den hier. Diese Scheiße ist wahrlich beängstigend :smithicide:

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Nektu posted:

Was tun?

Worte sind bedeutungslos geworden.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

hello to you too, Bel Shazar from the band Polyphia :D

I wish I could play, loool

No, I do it for free, because I'm an idiot who doesn't do capitalism right.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Odd way to do promotion of your (favorite) band, you might get 2 or 3 people to come if you're lucky? I know a prog rock enjoyer who frequently goes to Berlin though (my monitor is on) so I'll pass it along to him. So maybe this promotion isn't terrible idea anyway. 😅

So last time I did this I had this extra ticket for Cory and the Wong Notes, and would rather give it to someone than sell it, so I was putting the word out here and in some of my company distribution lists (we're a German company) and so now that I'm going back again it's just become a thing I do... notify the Germany thread about a cool concert I think some might want to come to :)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
How about a positive trip report:

Today I went to the local Stadtbibliothek with my goddaughter. For the first time in over 30 years.
I have never seen a public institution this well organized.

Automatic Ausleihe, automatic return, service desk from 10:00 to 19:00 but open until 22:00 and accessible by Ausweis after 19:00 witht he abilty to ausleih or return, including the option to return stuff around the clock.

Apart from books, you can get boardgames, Tonie figurines, PS4, PS5, Switch and 3DS games, DVD and Blurays. They also have multiple computers for research and learning, a PS4 "gaming room", a coffee machine etc. They have an onlineleihe for audiobooks and ebooks as well.

And all that for a yearly fee of 20€ for an adult.

I immediately got my own Leihausweis, simply because I felt an institution like this must be supported even if I may never use it.

Go check out your local library you may be surprised how good they are.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
My experience with the local Stadtbibliothek is a very nice one as well. I spend some afternoons with my kids there from time to time.

They branch out to dvds, board games, tonis (this is a huge money saver), etc.

The Ausleihe is modern, simple, and practical. The employees are extremely kind and understanding.

It even comes with a streaming service included! Filmfriend. It has a surprisingly good selection of American and European cinema. One can find some gems there.

One cannot forget about the Fahrbibliothek, the library bus. Visiting it weekly is a fixture of our routine.

All for 10€ a month! It is really a public service treasure.

I am writing from the point of view of a parent. However even for adults it is completely worth it. If you are in a big city, why buy a book, if you can rent it almost for free?

(My wife had to talk me into it 10 years ago, I would have never considered it by myself)

AndreTheGiantBoned fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 10, 2024

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yea library is also the place to go when hanging out downtown with my daughter and her friends when its not spielplatzweather. They have a hot cocoa automat.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Libraries rule. My local library also lets you borrow tools. You can get a GoPro, soldering iron, or the most Alman device possible: A laminator.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

Libraries rule. My local library also lets you borrow tools. You can get a GoPro, soldering iron, or the most Alman device possible: A laminator.

Laminator isn't very Alman if you like print & play boardgames

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Some Berlin libraries have cookware and art to loan out. Borrow a painting or a statue!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I like the library it has many books

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Hopper posted:

Laminator isn't very Alman if you like print & play boardgames

https://www.reddit.com/r/aberBitteLaminiert/

If you don't laminier can you even be considered to exist

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

The recent music discussion gives a flimsy pretext to post this as another followup to the earlier punk discussion,

KAOS - Kein Abend Ohne Schnaps: https://kaoskeinabendohneschnaps.bandcamp.com/album/kein-abend-ohne-schnaps

Been enjoying this quite a bit and they also have a bunch of shows coming up, the list is at the bottom of the page linked above.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 28, 2024

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

aphid_licker posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/aberBitteLaminiert/

If you don't laminier can you even be considered to exist

I've never laminated anything in my life.

I am dead inside.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'll admit that I still had a an extremely small, but still statistically-not-insignificant sentiment of "if we keep broad-pinseling the entire Osten as just lol-Nazis after decades of political and economic neglect, we'll just solidify the grasp the AfD has there, so we need to try to pull the neglected-feeling folks back from the brink while simultaneously ausmerzing the actual Neonazi-loving shitstains", but with Umfrageergebnise like these I don't know how anyone can still pretend that "yeah, well, not all AfD-Wähler there are Nazis, you know?"

"Hey, life is pretty good here."

"BUT THE AUSLÄNDERS!"

https://www.mdr.de/nachrichten/sachsen/politik/sachsenmonitor-stimmung-medien-gesellschaft-wirtschaft-100%7Eamp.html

Surely, the MDR only highlighted the worst-results of the SACHSEN-MONITOR, yes?

https://www.staatsregierung.sachsen.de/sachsen-monitor-2023-8897.html

:ohno:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I love our Zentralbibliothek but a while ago they made the absolutely boneheaded decision to set up a Nintendo Wii in their Kinderabteilung. For a while there, the two elder Grendels would be glued to that screen instead of browsing the Regale. We are currently on a break from going there.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Never too early to learn that reading books is lame

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Antifaschistischer Schutzwall when??

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah they do have a PS4 and Switch here in ours as well (1 screen, only though) and you can ask for a controller.

I get it, it makes sense if you want to provide this boption for kids who may not have one at home or parents who want to see what game their kids want to ausleih.

But it is in a separate alcove between the cookbooks and travel literature, nowhere near the kids books.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'll admit that I still had a an extremely small, but still statistically-not-insignificant sentiment of "if we keep broad-pinseling the entire Osten as just lol-Nazis after decades of political and economic neglect, we'll just solidify the grasp the AfD has there, so we need to try to pull the neglected-feeling folks back from the brink while simultaneously ausmerzing the actual Neonazi-loving shitstains", but with Umfrageergebnise like these I don't know how anyone can still pretend that "yeah, well, not all AfD-Wähler there are Nazis, you know?"

"Hey, life is pretty good here."

"BUT THE AUSLÄNDERS!"

https://www.staatsregierung.sachsen.de/sachsen-monitor-2023-8897.html

:ohno:

This is pretty depressing, especially since some of the sentiments had slowly started to improve. Having that ~15% of hardcore-Nazis openly spewing their bullshit in public makes saying all this poo poo extremely salonfaehig.

If only the small number of actual fascists had been getting any meaningful pushback from the government or justice system or any other part of established power structures (or even just older generations) over the last 35 years they might not have grown quite so bold.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

librarian checking in, yes please stop by any time you want (unless closed), we all literally took this job out of Helfersyndrom and will bend over backwards to make you comfortable.

Actually now I wonder if I should just donate my old PS4 to the public library, if they don't already have one.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

elbkaida posted:

This is pretty depressing, especially since some of the sentiments had slowly started to improve. Having that ~15% of hardcore-Nazis openly spewing their bullshit in public makes saying all this poo poo extremely salonfaehig.

If only the small number of actual fascists had been getting any meaningful pushback from the government or justice system or any other part of established power structures (or even just older generations) over the last 35 years they might not have grown quite so bold.

Honestly, when the Bauernproteste were announced here in the ländliche Gebiet in Südwest Germany it was eye opening how even people who had always talked about how the afd was too extreme only needed a mainstream Bauern cover to go full mask off. Suddenly everyone was willing to talk about how you needed to have dark skin and a syrian passport to get anywhere in Germany, how "they" are not just killing our poor Bauern by forcing us to buy cheap Egyptian potatoes at Aldi, but also ruin everyone else in Germany only to throw money at every foreigner. If we do not end 50 years of Rot Grün Schreckensregierung soon we only have ourselves to blame when we get a real racewar etc...

I know that Neo Nazis in the east have been able to organize much more openly, but I think the sentiments exist in very similar ways everywhere, it is just that in other parts of Germany the good Germans want to see the Ausländer punished in a more sanitized for TV way. And as long as our politics are entirely driven by appeasing those sentiments with the differences only ranging from doing it with glee to doing it with self pity and Bauchschmerzen, we're in for a bad time

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
In Hamburg we don't say Bibliothek, we say Bücherhalle and for some reason its the most expensive library in Germany at 40€ per year. Still worth it though, I enjoy getting audiobooks and Reiseführer at zero marginal cost.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
I hear in Berlin they call it Büchi

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Serendipitaet posted:

In Hamburg we don't say Bibliothek, we say Bücherhalle and for some reason its the most expensive library in Germany at 40€ per year.

Just be thankful they don't call it Elbphilobiblos.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Serendipitaet posted:

In Hamburg we don't say Bibliothek, we say Bücherhalle and for some reason its the most expensive library in Germany at 40€ per year. Still worth it though, I enjoy getting audiobooks and Reiseführer at zero marginal cost.

The Zentralbücherhalle always was worth that price alone, place owned.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Murmelmurmel Wählerwille klar erkennbar etc

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Antigravitas posted:

Murmelmurmel Wählerwille klar erkennbar etc

If you use Hakenkreuze to vote AfD the vote counts double. Pass it on!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Not sure if it's Wählerwille klar erkennbar, like if I draw a poop where the Kreuzchen should go, am I voting for that party or am I making a negative comment? Unclear imho (this is why I'm not a Wahlhelfer)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Serendipitaet posted:

Last time I checked, our library in Hannover demanded 56 24 EUR a year. But this included ALL libraries in Hannover, including the university libraries. No idea how Hamburg deals with those things.

Edit:

Oops, turns out my memories were wrong. We're a lot cheaper actually, my bad

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 30, 2024

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yup, 20/year buys you aceess to all of Munich's Stadtbibliotheken. You can order stuff for free from one to pick up in another or go to whichever one you want, all you have to do is return stuff where you got it.

Side note: I browsed their online catalog and saw they are already lending out Suicide Squad and Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth for PS5, both of which where just released a few days ago. It almost seems like black magic.

Libraries are kommunal managed so the city decides the prices. But Bücherhalle seems awesome, a friend just told me they even have a music room where you can play instruments.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 31, 2024

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I think like 10-20 € for a library pass is best. Affordable for almost anyone, worth it if you read even one book from there, but just expensive enough that you won't get the "if it's free it's worthless" effect.

The local library isn't too fancy although it does have a bunch of musical instruments to practice on which I think is super nice. Like, people should have access to instruments. They're electronic versions with headphones, so you won't bother the other patrons.

No vidya games though as far as I've seen.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

lol at the idea of getting a brand new LAD game from the library with a 2 week Ausleihfrist

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
No chance, it is already out the door and 8 people reserved it. Which means the minimum wait as of today is about 4 months.
All these peole need to poopsock very hard, too, as you can't verlänger something that has been reserved by the next person.

I'll probably grab Jedi Survivor on Friday, thats just sitting there and should be easy to finish in 14 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Certain sections of any library's Medienabteilung are like Amazon Prime's category of cheap trashy horror movies you can watch for free. You might have to dig a little (a lot) but there are many more gems there than you'd ever imagine.