Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
And destroying the British Empire in the process?

Sign me up, I'll act in that poo poo for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont know who needs to hear this but Empire at War got a new patch today updating both it and Forces of Corruption to run on 64bit rather than 32bit.

So if you want to play Lucius Malfoy in Space going on a merry adventure across the galaxy hitting as many EU staples as possible now I guess you can do it with fewer memory crashes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A sudden official patch for a 17 year old game is not something I was expecting. I kind of had no clue Petroglyph was still around, even though the Command & Conquer remasters were on my radar.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It’s insane that Empire at War is 17 years old. Yikes… the C&C remasters were pretty good, though.

Also, game with the most use of the existing EU? Though obviously KOTOR, Jedi Academy, and Galaxies are up there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
By far the game with the most existing EU lore, mostly by virtue of its place in the timeline and because it was pulling from over 15 years of built up EU material. Off the top of my head Forces of Corruption features:

Thrawn
Dathomiri Nightsisters
Dark Troopers
Tie Phantoms
The Eclipse
Kuat Drive Yards
Dozens of EU planets
Victory 2 destroyers
Prince Xizor

And a ton of other bits and pieces across its story mode and custom scenario campaigns.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Thrawn's Revenge mod is a must-play for any reader of this thread, imo. It's pretty insane what they've managed to wring out of this old-rear end engine, and equally cool that Petroglyph still cares enough to help them out after almost 20 years

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Casimir Radon posted:

A sudden official patch for a 17 year old game is not something I was expecting. I kind of had no clue Petroglyph was still around, even though the Command & Conquer remasters were on my radar.

Didn't they do that ww1 RTS that came out a few months ago?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

It would be like a cross between Pentagon Wars and the really terrible Docudrama about the Avrow Arrow that ends with some of the designers successfully fleeing with one of the prototypes.

EC Henry on youtube made a video that tells a story like this, as a way to explain how a Colin Cantwell X-Wing model seems to have made its way into Return of the Jedi as a random background ship.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Didn't they do that ww1 RTS that came out a few months ago?
It was on their wiki page. I’m not too up on what’s new with RTS’s as it dawned on me at some point that I’m not great at them. I did go on a monthlong spree a couple years ago, but I don’t run out and buy them new anymore.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Started in on The Eye of Darkness -- it's really nice to be back with the phase 1 High Republic crew -- I've missed these characters so much

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Steven Barnes, author of The Cestus Deception, is going to be writing a Mace Windu novel set just after TPM:

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-glass-abyss

Interesting that this is the second old-EU author announced in the last few months who's coming back to write a Jedi-centric novel in between TPM and AOTC.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Missed opportunity to write a book called The Kestis Deception, imo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Both Survivor’s Quest and Outbound Flight are being rereleased tomorrow. The old EU rereleases had dried up for a while so it’s nice that they’re restarting them. Then in about a month The Courtship of Princess Leia gets rereleased. I’m looking for to some of the less good books getting unabridged audiobooks. It’s a chance to revisit them without putting too much effort in.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Has anyone read through Phase 2 of the High Republic? I enjoyed the first phase but backed off when I found out the timeline was jumping back 150 years.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I fell off the series after the second adult book. It was kind of a struggle to get through when they went and showed every single character’s perspective of the attack on the fair. poo poo like that slows everything to a crawl. I’m going to try and get the third book going again at some point and build up some momentum.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of High Republic, The Acolyte is confirmed for next year (officially just for 2024, but the buzz is for spring) along with Skeleton Crew (likely fall) and Tales of the Jedi/Bad Batch. No Andor, Ahsoka, or Mandalorian.

Frankly of those shows, Acolyte is the only one I'm really looking forward to (outside of Andor of course). Only one without Filoni's involvement, while also having a strong creative voice at the center who comes from outside of Star Wars fandom, an actual writing room, and an interesting place in the timeline.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

VaultAggie posted:

Has anyone read through Phase 2 of the High Republic? I enjoyed the first phase but backed off when I found out the timeline was jumping back 150 years.

The first book of Phase 2 was really good. That's as far as I got in the series, need to pick it back up now that Phase 3 has kicked off.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bad Batch s2 was unironically better than Mando or Ahsoka, though maybe I'm just blanking out the memory of the run of filler episodes in the first third

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Courtship of Princess Leia and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous got rereleased today. Started on the former. Man, this dumber than I remembered. So thankful it’s an audiobook I don’t have to put any effort into.

Wolverton sure does enjoy inventing dumb pageantry poo poo. Blah blah blah everyone from Hapes is beautiful, and they’re incredibly rich, and how about an arranged marriage. Mon Mothma is all for Leia getting married to a stranger so they have more money to fight warlords. I could never forget the Gun of Command though. I feel like it wouldn’t be so bad if Wolverton had given it a more Sci-Fi sounding name instead of it being a dumb thing with a blatantly dumb name that will stick in your mind for the rest of your life.

It’s all really dumb but I am enjoying it in a way. Was Wolverton this much of a hack in general? The only other thing I read from him was the first Jedi Apprentice book. The rest of the series got handed over to Jude Watson. I know he was a Mormon which probably figures into this.

Edit: Also thinking about picking up a copy of Rogue Planet since the search for Vergere came up several times in Outbound Flight, which I just finished. I remember being interested in it back in the day because it was the first adult prequel novel following TPM’s release. But I didn’t have the allowance for it at the time, and later forgot about it. Then the book was kind of forgotten in general.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 24, 2024

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the first jedi apprentice book is pretty good imo. very YA obviously but it (and the rest of the series) do a lot to flesh out obi-wan and show you how he got to the point he was at in phantom menace. which sounds like the usual tie-in drivel but somehow it works

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When Xanatos takes over Telos with an addictive gambling system called Katharsis.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Didn’t remember them outright stealing the name of a Gargoyles villain/character. Then again I hadn’t watched the show back then.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I would have been at the perfect age for those books and I devoured Young Jedi Knights/Junior Jedi Knights so I don't know why I never jumped on those. I know I read the first one because I remember teen Obi-Wan getting drummed out of the academy and sent to a planet to use the Force to make corn grow better, but that's as far as I got.

Arc Hammer posted:

When Xanatos takes over Telos with an addictive gambling system called Katharsis.

Huh, that is in fact the Telos from KOTOR 2. Glad everything worked out for them until... that, apparently.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I own and read 16 of 18 normal Jedi Apprentice books. I also read 1 of 2 of the “special editions”. Borrowed that one from some kid, never owned it. I own and read 4 of 10 Jedi Quest books, and neither or the special editions. I was almost 14 when the last one I read came out so I was aging out pretty quick.

Haven’t touched much SW YA since then. I read the YJK Galaxy of Fear books I missed as a kid within the last few years. I also grabbed the first YA High Republic tie-in on accident.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I reread a good chunk of the Jedi Apprentice books a while ago

Very kiddy, but also surprisingly deep and dark given the age range it's written for

The Jedi also have an informant, and he's the owner of Dexter's Diner prior to him selling it to Dex and hightailing it when things got dicey

Highly recommend them if you have a few hours to kill

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Casimir Radon posted:

Edit: Also thinking about picking up a copy of Rogue Planet since the search for Vergere came up several times in Outbound Flight, which I just finished. I remember being interested in it back in the day because it was the first adult prequel novel following TPM’s release. But I didn’t have the allowance for it at the time, and later forgot about it. Then the book was kind of forgotten in general.

Well, if you'd rather just hear about it, it's Expounded Universe's most recent finished book.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

It’s all really dumb but I am enjoying it in a way. Was Wolverton this much of a hack in general?

Apparently he was a mentor to Stephenie Meyer, so take that as you will.

I listened to the older (abridged) audiobook a while back, and one of the things that stuck out to me was the pronunciation of Hapes. I don't know if it's that way in the newer version, but the older pronunciation was "hay-pees", while I think other later sources pronounced it "hayps". I don't know if it was intentionally done to rhyme the planet with Hades, but it definitely works thematically. Wolverton also said he was inspired by the movie Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, which traces itself back to an event from Roman history.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not just Stephanie Meyer, basically every current major Mormon genre author (OSC excluded) went through his writing course at BYU.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It occurs to me that at least two of the most prominent Sad Puppies from the Hugo debacle a few years back are Mormons.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Robot Style posted:

Apparently he was a mentor to Stephenie Meyer, so take that as you will.

I listened to the older (abridged) audiobook a while back, and one of the things that stuck out to me was the pronunciation of Hapes. I don't know if it's that way in the newer version, but the older pronunciation was "hay-pees", while I think other later sources pronounced it "hayps". I don't know if it was intentionally done to rhyme the planet with Hades, but it definitely works thematically. Wolverton also said he was inspired by the movie Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, which traces itself back to an event from Roman history.
They’re pronouncing it ‘Hapes’ in the new audiobook. They’re also still pronouncing Zsinj ‘Jin-ja’, which is something they started with the new X-Wing audiobooks. Don’t really care for that much.

Got a bit further and the level of romantic writing makes it feel like a high school love triangle. Despite Han being 37, Leia being 27, and Isolder being 25.

Brandon Sanderson was also a Wolverton student. I’ve only read Mistborn so I’m not super in the know but people seem to like him. The first trilogy felt a bit amateurish at times but kept me interested. I think he improved a ton with The Alloy of Law and the second trilogy. I still haven’t touched the third book of it because I forgot just about everything outside of the broad strokes and kind of need to reread it all to remember what was going on.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

They’re pronouncing it ‘Hapes’ in the new audiobook. They’re also still pronouncing Zsinj ‘Jin-ja’, which is something they started with the new X-Wing audiobooks. Don’t really care for that much.

Got a bit further and the level of romantic writing makes it feel like a high school love triangle. Despite Han being 37, Leia being 27, and Isolder being 25.

Brandon Sanderson was also a Wolverton student. I’ve only read Mistborn so I’m not super in the know but people seem to like him. The first trilogy felt a bit amateurish at times but kept me interested. I think he improved a ton with The Alloy of Law and the second trilogy. I still haven’t touched the third book of it because I forgot just about everything outside of the broad strokes and kind of need to reread it all to remember what was going on.

Sanderson did an amazing job finishing out The Wheel of Time book series after Robert Jordan died. There were some warts here and there, but on the whole it was better than most people were really hoping.

On his own, he's mostly known as the "magical system of rules" guy. Like, he makes very well thought out, complicated systems for magic that he can then use. "The rule of cool" will never fly by him. Which is both good and bad. There were some things in the finale of the Wheel of Time TV show finale that apparently really pissed him off, because it was basically, "Eh, doesn't make much sense, but who cares?" and he was all, "But my name is on this show, and I AM THE GUY WHO MAKES MAGIC MAKE SENSE!"

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 25, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pronounce it as Zinjsh

Chaos mode is pronouncing Tycho's last name as Kel-Chew

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Sanderson did an amazing job finishing out The Wheel of Time book series after Robert Jordan died. There were some warts here and there, but on the whole it was better than most people were really hoping.

On his own, he's mostly known as the "magical system of rules" guy. Like, he makes very well thought out, complicated systems for magic that he can then use. "The rule of cool" will never fly by him. Which is both good and bad. There were some thing in the finale of the Wheel of Time TV show finale that apparently really pissed him off, because it was basically, "Eh, doesn't make much sense, but who cares?" and he was all, "But my name is on this show, and I AM THE GUY WHO MAKES MAGIC MAKE SENSE!"

He's improved a lot over the years, it's been interesting watching his prose improve year by year. It helps he's humble and realizes he still has room to improve despite being a millionaire.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Casimir Radon posted:

hot take but one of the things i genuinly weirdly like about the disney canon is the marriage between han and leia didnt work out. I am usually not a big fan of "marriage on the rocks" or "couple implosion" tropes but like that kinda works. han doesnt strike me as a guy who could just settle down fully and the most chemestry that have is going through a ton of traumatic poo poo together and presumbly loving in ewok tree house and then producing kylo. i think han would try to be a good dad and leia would try to be a good mom but like yeah, look what happened. like they clearly still care about each other but when ben went full darth school shooter, it ended everything working out. han went off to work for psychos because its the only way he could cope and leia leads the space sandinestas.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think it was clear that the relationship wasn't over though. They were going through a rough patch and just both kind of tried to fall back into their old patterns while giving each other space after something bad happened. Like I bet Chewie was sending weekly holo-messages to Leia keeping her posted and making sure Han had clean underwear or whatever.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

I think it was clear that the relationship wasn't over though. They were going through a rough patch and just both kind of tried to fall back into their old patterns while giving each other space after something bad happened. Like I bet Chewie was sending weekly holo-messages to Leia keeping her posted and making sure Han had clean underwear or whatever.

I don't think that was clear.

I believe the canon is Han didn't like being tied down to Coruscant and he was insecure about growing older so he was always going on weekend trips with Chewbacca. Leia started to resent him from being absent all the time and also he was rapidly gaining weight on his weekend binges, so that just added to the mutual resentment. When Kylo was born it just got worse because Han couldn't handle the responsibility and also felt emasculated because he was a stay at home dad while Leia was working in the new senate. On the guise of it being best for all of them, they sent Kylo to the Jedi Academy but it was basically boarding school while mom and dad tried to rekindle their relationship. At this point Leia was no longer that attracted to Han plus he was suffering from ED, so she started to encourage him to go on longer trips with Chewie just to get him out of house. It wasn't long before she began having an affair with Admiral Ackbar. They had been having an emotional affair for a while it was only a matter of time before it got physical between her and the fishman that always listens. One day Han got home early from one of his trips and found them in bed together and that was it - Han could never forgive her for having an affair with a hideous squid-man and he would never not feel embarrassed or insecure about it. It wasn't long before Leia realized she wasn't that into Ackbar and he got weird and clingy. She ditched him pretty quickly and for months he wouldn't stop calling her, but then the First Order blew up Coruscant and she was filled with guilt.

Anyway I'm pretty sure that's canon.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

when will disney make the ewok tree fuckhouse experience available to the public??

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I don't think that was clear.

I believe the canon is Han didn't like being tied down to Coruscant and he was insecure about growing older so he was always going on weekend trips with Chewbacca. Leia started to resent him from being absent all the time and also he was rapidly gaining weight on his weekend binges, so that just added to the mutual resentment. When Kylo was born it just got worse because Han couldn't handle the responsibility and also felt emasculated because he was a stay at home dad while Leia was working in the new senate. On the guise of it being best for all of them, they sent Kylo to the Jedi Academy but it was basically boarding school while mom and dad tried to rekindle their relationship. At this point Leia was no longer that attracted to Han plus he was suffering from ED, so she started to encourage him to go on longer trips with Chewie just to get him out of house. It wasn't long before she began having an affair with Admiral Ackbar. They had been having an emotional affair for a while it was only a matter of time before it got physical between her and the fishman that always listens. One day Han got home early from one of his trips and found them in bed together and that was it - Han could never forgive her for having an affair with a hideous squid-man and he would never not feel embarrassed or insecure about it. It wasn't long before Leia realized she wasn't that into Ackbar and he got weird and clingy. She ditched him pretty quickly and for months he wouldn't stop calling her, but then the First Order blew up Coruscant and she was filled with guilt.

Anyway I'm pretty sure that's canon.

Had me in the first half, not gonna lie

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

I mean, Bloodline establishes that even years before TFA, Han is basically never around to the point that it's explicitly stated that even some of her senator friends don't realize that Leia is even married. And that was before their son was a school shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's early enough that Leia is still running around getting into laser fights too though.