Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kirios posted:

He immediately becomes your closer yeah?

I'd think so, with Adbert as setup. Not sure if they start out reversed, but Adbert wasn't really closing by the end of the season.

I missed that Merryweather avoided arb, that's a pretty good 7-8-9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
these are the kind of signings Cubs fans crave, and it's only more evident now that Jed is whetting the appetites of Wrigleyville before announcing they're bringing back our boy Belli

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Cubs bullpen was a mess last year as we never really had a reliable closer, Neris is a nice pick up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Considering that report saying that Neris wanted 50+ mil, getting him for 9 plus incentives seems like a major win

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It looks like Nerris punched way above his peripherals last year and otherwise has been a mostly good-to-very-good but not exactly elite reliever prior? I'm not seeing anything in his pitch usage after coming to the Astros that would point to why he suddenly became unhittable, particularly as he posted his worst K rate since 2015 and the second worst BB rate of his career. This combined with age is presumably why he could only swing a one year, $9M deal despite being one of the more dominant relievers in baseball last year.

idk I guess it's fine, he probably slots in as the closer at least initially but I hope that if he regresses the Cubs are quick to adjust him into lower leverage role.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

It looks like Nerris punched way above his peripherals last year and otherwise has been a mostly good-to-very-good but not exactly elite reliever prior? I'm not seeing anything in his pitch usage after coming to the Astros that would point to why he suddenly became unhittable, particularly as he posted his worst K rate since 2015 and the second worst BB rate of his career. This combined with age is presumably why he could only swing a one year, $9M deal despite being one of the more dominant relievers in baseball last year.

idk I guess it's fine, he probably slots in as the closer at least initially but I hope that if he regresses the Cubs are quick to adjust him into lower leverage role.

If he can keep up his reverse splits from the past couple seasons, he'll more than fulfill on this contract. There's def some potential downside but at this price, it feels very low-risk, high-reward.

Hoping that Counsell as manager fixes the potential issue in your last sentence. He seems smart enough to be able to separate the guy from the Guy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

FlamingLiberal posted:

Considering that report saying that Neris wanted 50+ mil, getting him for 9 plus incentives seems like a major win

A 34 year old career setup man couldn't gert 50+ million?

I assume Cubs fans hate this signing because of his supposed use of a slur

Poque posted:

If he can keep up his reverse splits from the past couple seasons, he'll more than fulfill on this contract. There's def some potential downside but at this price, it feels very low-risk, high-reward.

Hoping that Counsell as manager fixes the potential issue in your last sentence. He seems smart enough to be able to separate the guy from the Guy.

9 million on a one year deal during the Dodgers era of dominance? Very little downside

If he's poo poo he's not going to make his 60 appearances

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 27, 2024

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Posting the gif one last time in honor of Dr James Andrews who is retiring.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

General Bullshit posted:

Can someone add him to the end of his own gif?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

General Bullshit posted:

He should absolutely be elected to the MLB Hall of Fame in the Contributors wing. He has changed baseball medicine in so many different ways.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I enjoyed Dirk Hayhurst's account of how Andrews bullied the gently caress out of him and many others by whaling on their heads as hard as he could with one of his championship rings

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What if it turns out he's the only one who knows how to do TJ and it's a career ender from now on

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My friend who's an orthopedic surgeon (and despicable Braves fan) says that Dr Andrews hasn't really performed any surgeries in years, instead he watches his associates do it remotely and tells them when they're screwing up. He says Dr ElAttrache is the TJ surgeon who's actually banging them out himself these days.

Intruder posted:

What if it turns out he's the only one who knows how to do TJ and it's a career ender from now on
Andrews is just prolific, he didn't perform the first TJS, that was Dr Frank Jobe who was also in the 101st Airborne during WW2, the division that Band of Brothers is about.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 28, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They need to put Jobe in the Hall first

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So the Yankees said they were priced out of Nerris and he got 1x9? lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's actually apparently $9M with another 2025 club option for $9M that automatically vests if he has 60 or more appearances this year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BenVerlander/status/1751428561892999562

I've never heard him speak english, he sounds good

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This Adam Ottavino situation is weird. He had a $6.75 mil player option that he declined with the Mets, but he ended up going back to the Mets for less money.

Guy needs to fire his agent

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Don't know the full details of the new deal but the old option had $4 million of the $6.75 million deferred, so if this is all paid this season its probably even.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Supposedly the deferred money in his option was not the reason he declined it. He was (rightly) concerned about the team competing in 2024 after trading away a bunch of vets

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bawfuls posted:

My friend who's an orthopedic surgeon (and despicable Braves fan) says that Dr Andrews hasn't really performed any surgeries in years, instead he watches his associates do it remotely and tells them when they're screwing up. He says Dr ElAttrache is the TJ surgeon who's actually banging them out himself these days.

Makes sense. Dude's 81. GOAT or not, I don't think I'd want a 75+ guy holding the actual knife.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

when it comes to cadaver ligaments, he's more like Doctor El Attache

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

wwe just set a tropicana field attendance record cause lord knows the rays weren't gonna :v:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jesus
https://x.com/RyanCohen24/status/1751337200086626553?s=20

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

no, that's Clayton Kershaw

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

seems like a totally normal and not weird at all thing to have in a New York establishment

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Especially for New York baseball fans, who have experienced a ton of historical success over the last 15 years!

Surely they know all about not choking against, say, the Astros 4-0 in the ALCS. Just an example.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 28, 2024

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Maybe it was made by someone who’s still really mad about the Dodgers moving to LA

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

They need to put Jobe in the Hall first

Insane that him and Tommy John aren't in.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Kirios posted:

Especially for New York baseball fans, who have experienced a ton of historical success over the last 15 years!

Surely they know all about not choking against, say, the Astros 4-0 in the ALCS. Just an example.

I feel like you need to actually be in the competition to choke. If you just show up and roll over it’s not choking, it’s sucking.

Choking is when Aroldis Chapman throws a second get me over slider in a row to give up the ALCS on a walk off home run in game 6.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well Played Mauer posted:

I feel like you need to actually be in the competition to choke. If you just show up and roll over it’s not choking, it’s sucking.

Choking is when Aroldis Chapman throws a second get me over slider in a row to give up the ALCS on a walk off home run in game 6.

As long as the guy buzzing the buzzer did his job there it didn't mater if Chapman coked or not.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Buzzer wasn’t necessary but was still present, obviously. Chapman always throws poo poo sliders in the zone when he can’t locate his fastball. After the first one bent in like a high school curve everyone watching that game knew what was coming next.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Maybe it was made by someone who’s still really mad about the Dodgers moving to LA
Bernie Sanders and Larry King putting up spite posters all over Brooklyn

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Buzzer wasn’t necessary but was still present, obviously. Chapman always throws poo poo sliders in the zone when he can’t locate his fastball. After the first one bent in like a high school curve everyone watching that game knew what was coming next.

Impossible to hit a belt high hanging slider out obviously

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Interesting...

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1751641316792885691?s=20

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Maybe "leaving money on the table" if he turns out to be a star but I think it’s easy to forget how many paths to failure at the Major League level there are. Under the existing CBA deals like that are sensible for players and for teams

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

If Aroldis Chapman is directly responsible for the greatest locker room speech of all time.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

We don't even know if he's going to be able to stick at second base because of his defense, but sure I guess.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Knowing that it's a slider coming and not 103 is likely helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Canada/status/1751261285163958759

Why am i being gaslit by Canada