Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Broken teams is best teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It worked fine for us (on EU west) :shrug:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lol it's still not working

e: https://twitter.com/MSFT365Status/status/1750982144057352391

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Hi, it’s Teams! I’m the problem it’s Teams.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i had to send out an email because it was that or get 10 billion tickets about it

anyway sure would be a pity if outlook went down next

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

friday is 1/7 of the week but seems to compose 80% of outages

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

It's been a fun week for sure. We use Intermedia/SecuriSync and on Tuesday they released a client update that simultaneously deleted massive amounts of files (like, thousands upon thousands from every directory) AND broke the restore function. It's only just now working again today and I've spent the last ~5 hours clicking "Restore" on folders because the bulk restore isn't reliable :shepface:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Two jobs ago we worked 4 days a week so invariably Thursday was when all the network problems would happen

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Oh, also, Intermedia decided this was the best week to have a massive in-person company-wide meeting, so our account reps and stuff were unreachable lol

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Friday gets most of the outages because everyone who put everything off all week are all suddenly rushing to do the poo poo they should have done earlier.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not this IT drone, last time of the week where I push anything that could break stuff is 4pm on Thursday.

Friday is read only, maybe fix stuff someone else broke. Or queue up commits for Monday.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My company has had a lot of turmoil, but my job has been pretty solid. I hands-on manage IT at a company people have actually heard of. The last three people I've reported to (chief people/tech/people) have just completely left me alone to do my thing, and everyone loves me and my staff. People I thought disliked me have gone to bat for me when we've had some stress with the enormous company that owns us.

It might be nothing, but I'm a bit alarmed that several prospective new CTO candidates have expressed a "strong interest in IT". Ideally everything just stays the same and I'm trusted to do my thing. Not looking forward to someone "having interest" and wanting things done their way (unless they're actually great and know what they're talking about...?)

But I lost my last two jobs because new CTOs came in and just brought in their own people. I feel like C-levels/leaders here wouldn't let that happen immediately, but who knows how long any of them will stick around. Anyway, meh.

Also lol I'm approaching two years which seems to bang on be when things go wrong.

edit: at least this time I'm shacked up with someone who loves me and would support me. Last time I got laid off it was literally two days before my ex-wife moved out, and I'd been supporting her unemployment through covid for a year lol

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 26, 2024

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

teethgrinder posted:

The "done" column on Jira's Kanban automatically hides the task after two weeks and there's literally no way to disable or alter that functionality. But support will point you to feature requests you can +1.

Jira is the weirdest product I've ever had to work with. It's simultaneously so powerful and asinine.

You just get used to it, eventually. I've seen worse, I'll take JIRA most days over the other weird bug tracking systems I've used in the past at little companies.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I feel like I might be jinxing it but yesterday I talked to the recruiter for the position I interviewed for on Wednesday. He said that feedback was very positive but they wanted at least one other person to interview (they had delayed the process over the holidays so long that most of the previous candidates dropped out) so the recruiter is setting them up with a candidate that he says doesn't seem as good as me but A) he might be lying on that front and B) maybe the guy interviews way better than his resume would suggest. I'm supposed to hear Monday or Tuesday so I'm basically on the edge of my seat because I did the math wrong and it would actually be $110k per year equivalent (it's hourly) vs the 95k salary I was making at my last place.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Inside you there are two wolves one that complains that the job market is awful l another that mentions there were only two serious candidates for a six figure position

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah it's bizarre to me given that Linkedin shows hundreds if not thousands of applicants for anything I apply for. I have to assume it's because I got the call about it in early December and then got ghosted until last week so maybe the other people that were called found jobs in the interim.

Or maybe like 99% of applicants are a bad fit shotgunning applications to everything (hi, it's me).

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Or maybe like 99% of applicants are a bad fit shotgunning applications to everything (hi, it's me).

I think this is it. I can only imagine the obscene number of unqualified applicants that a remote-only 'Easy Apply' position attracts.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

The LinkedIn apply counter also includes window shoppers, so don’t get discouraged if you see “15 applied” because all that means is 15 people hit the link to go to the external application. To my knowledge, they don’t have any way of knowing when someone actually completes the process.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
They drop a little banner asking if you applied, but I think it counts anyone who clicks and un-counts if you click no later on

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
I need to stop asking my co-workers how things work.

I've been told for the entire month and a week that I've been here, that there was no way for us to unlock AD reference accounts, as apparently it was one of the *many* powers that were taken away from us as a result of the security breach at the MSP.

So I discovered looking at an ancient KB they'd just issue reference account unlocks with a password change in the ADAC, decided to try it on a person who got locked out due to her Liaison telling her to log in too many times and lo.. loving reference account unlocks too. I could've been doing this the entire time.

:negative:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What the hell is a reference account

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Susat
May 31, 2011

GreenNight posted:

I think it's just the main AD account that LDAP checks credentials against in our SSO?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that's not how it works

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

*in a sane environment

Susat
May 31, 2011

The Fool posted:

*in a sane environment

I may not have the full understanding of how it works directly yet, but basically when a user fails 5 password attempts on a single account under that umbrella that *entire* AD Account locks across the system. This means that if a user fails to log in to something like VMWare 5 times they're basically locked out of NT windows log in if they log out for either an hour or until a password reset is granted.

From what I understand we've been hiding certain resources behind LDAP because of this function, however it sometimes causes issues where LDAP will fail to authenticate and then we either have to issue the user a new password in order to get them to log in again or manually set a new password for the user (Thing I can, but I'm not supposed to do)

e: It also causes a bunch of weird windows issues that I have to advise remote users on, for example if they connect to the network remotely the system will only use the stored password, so if they update their password they have to physically connect to the network again (and log in) in order to update the stored credentials on that system. Even more frustrating is users can change their password with their phones... which can cause the same problem if they log in with a temporary password, set a new permanent password, then the stored credential issue happens again.

The more I type about this the less sane that seems, huh.

Susat fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 28, 2024

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sounds like you have a poorly configured hybrid environment

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Susat posted:

but basically when a user fails 5 password attempts on a single account under that umbrella that *entire* AD Account locks across the system. This means that if a user fails to log in to something like VMWare 5 times they're basically locked out of NT windows log in if they log out for either an hour or until a password reset is granted.

this is an old school way of handling incorrect password entries and hasn't been the recommended practice for nearly a decade

quote:

From what I understand we've been hiding certain resources behind LDAP because of this function, however it sometimes causes issues where LDAP will fail to authenticate and then we either have to issue the user a new password in order to get them to log in again or manually set a new password for the user (Thing I can, but I'm not supposed to do)

you should be able to unlock their account instead, it's a single checkbox

you should avoid manually changing a users password directly for a number of reasons

quote:

e: It also causes a bunch of weird windows issues that I have to advise remote users on, for example if they connect to the network remotely the system will only use the stored password, so if they update their password they have to physically connect to the network again (and log in) in order to update the stored credentials on that system.

this happens if a password is changed administratively while the user is longed into their computer and/or has active o365 sessions

windows handles it poorly and is one reason why you should avoid changing a users password directly and should have them reset it themselves

quote:

Even more frustrating is users can change their password with their phones... which can cause the same problem if they log in with a temporary password, set a new permanent password, then the stored credential issue happens again.
it's likely this is either the aad or adfs password reset flow, either way it works on all devices not just phones and should be the only way a users password is changed

quote:

welcome to it

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Susat posted:

e: It also causes a bunch of weird windows issues that I have to advise remote users on, for example if they connect to the network remotely the system will only use the stored password, so if they update their password they have to physically connect to the network again (and log in) in order to update the stored credentials on that system. Even more frustrating is users can change their password with their phones... which can cause the same problem if they log in with a temporary password, set a new permanent password, then the stored credential issue happens again.

Not 100% sure I’m reading this right, but if a user resets their password through helpdesk or other password recovery, before they disconnect from any network/vpn or whatever, they just need to lock their workstation and then unlock it with the new password for stored credentials to get updated.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

Not 100% sure I’m reading this right, but if a user resets their password through helpdesk or other password recovery, before they disconnect from any network/vpn or whatever, they just need to lock their workstation and then unlock it with the new password for stored credentials to get updated.

This is dependent on how many crusty layers of IDPs are in the environment. Greenfield situation where folks log into windows with an entra account? Let them reset it from the desktop, it doesn't matter. If the password has to be replicated to 8 different places, it's best to force users to your primary IDP's portal.

Susat
May 31, 2011

The Fool posted:

this is an old school way of handling incorrect password entries and hasn't been the recommended practice for nearly a decade

you should be able to unlock their account instead, it's a single checkbox

you should avoid manually changing a users password directly for a number of reasons

this happens if a password is changed administratively while the user is longed into their computer and/or has active o365 sessions

windows handles it poorly and is one reason why you should avoid changing a users password directly and should have them reset it themselves

it's likely this is either the aad or adfs password reset flow, either way it works on all devices not just phones and should be the only way a users password is changed

welcome to it

I'll have to take a look into some of this stuff tomorrow mostly just for my own understanding of things. I have no power to really change them except how I guide users but I'm curious now with what you've posted, so thanks for that tbh.

I literally finished all of the tickets I can actually configure today despite being left alone with nobody else to help me out with support work, sunday is always the slowest day which means I'll probably be sitting around reading otherwise.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Once you confirm it was the user themselves meeting up password entry (and not some malicious actor) you should be unlocking the account in active directory, not changing their password. You get a ton of weird password issues if you change it manually (Windows tries their cached password, fails, locked out again). Just unlock the account and have them type in their password correctly.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
YOTJ here. Got a huge offer which caused my current contracting company to panic and offer a 13/hr raise which still isn't quite as much as the new offer. New one is hybrid, though. Choices choices...

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Prescription Combs posted:

YOTJ here. Got a huge offer which caused my current contracting company to panic and offer a 13/hr raise which still isn't quite as much as the new offer. New one is hybrid, though. Choices choices...

Is the new offer a contract as well?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

New company willfully underpaid you and only caved because you leaving makes their life more difficult in the short term.

Consider that there’s a chance they’ll start hiring/training your replacement for less money than they’re offering you just so they can get rid of you.

The usual advice is “never take the counter offer”, but there are cases where it worked for goons itt.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Generally you don't want to stay after forcing a company to pay you more. They coulda been paying you more the whole time, they'll be salty etc. gently caress that, just take the new role. Congrats.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Staying temporarily while shopping around at a higher wage is also an acceptable option. It helps if you can wrangle a title upgrade with the counteroffer.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Do not take the counter offer

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

jaegerx posted:

Do not take the counter offer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Wait till they beg you back and then get some boat money