Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I like Marley’s music but it is a shame how dumb white college stoners tarnished his image in a way.

Also you mentioned RLM. Yeah I can’t stand them. What a bunch of joyless grognards. Is Jack Packard still hanging out with them? He’s the only one I liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
RLM is really only super cynical towards the mega nerd IPs (Star Wars obv, Marvel, DC, etc), one because that's what they became famous for, and two the people super obsessed with those franchises could use a reality check. Even then they still manage to find a few positive things to say about those films. With everything else they're usually pretty positive with minor constructive criticism. That said I can see how their tone rubs some people the wrong way.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If I want to consume hot takes from fat ugly people then me and my friends just hang out and do that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Should add Calvin and Hobbes to the list. Goons will fight you for talking poo poo about Calvin and Hobbes.

And by proxy Bill Waterson (the person) for integrity.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ive never met anyone who hates calvin and hobbes. however, while i've never seen or heard him mention it publicly, i have a sneaking suspicion that scott adams really hates calvin and hobbes.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Nabokov was wrong about Dostoyevsky.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
RLM was mostly positive on Marvel through GotG 3, but they were always pretty down on DC and who can blame them?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah I gotta say every comic synopsis sounds like the dumbest poo poo for pubescent boys

That's what I think about video games^

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I secretly don't like Harry Potter stuff but I never say anything about it, because good for the folks who like it. It's just not for me.

But through general internet osmosis I know enough. Muggle bloods.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
The rolling Stones have a lot of material, and just by virtue of that they have a lot of turds. But their catalog of good stuff is much higher than the average band. However, like almost every band ever, there is a time period where they're good and after that it was just poo poo. They're absolutely not unique in that regard.

Get your ya yas out is one of the best live albums of all time. I challenge you to listen to this album loud as gently caress while driving and not at least appreciate it. Unless you're a hardcore hater, you will probably change your opinion.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL44kuYYS8ym_LoqEBpKXrUNEp9V4N36x&si=dVEN2oXfBRen1Yav

The Beatles are great and if you don't like them you've only listened to top 40 radio beatles. They have a lot of really deep cuts that are super innovative and ahead of their time. Three of the greatest songwriters of all time were in the Beatles.

Every one of them went on to have a solo career with lots of excellent songs. Even Ringo had a couple good songs post-beatles.

They could have been complete sell outs if they wanted, but they still pushed the envelope and made really weird sounding tracks while being the biggest selling band in the world. You don't see Taylor Swift release a comedy jam record as a single.

https://youtu.be/iZndVv-jl-U?si=zENht6p3TGQo_21c

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 28, 2024

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Spinz posted:

I don't know, some of them are quite abstract. I've spent far too much time in Civilization, and the synopsis there is "You make high-level choices for a country from the stone age forward; try to be good at that I guess". It's like trying to critique the plot of a board game. :)

There's absolutely a big chunk of games it does apply to, though; Call of Duty and God of War are basically interactive movies.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Bro, even Lennon hated Paul's songs.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Oldstench posted:

Yea John sucked the most.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Spinz posted:

Say a video game synopsis you’ve heard

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Earwicker posted:

ive never met anyone who hates calvin and hobbes. however, while i've never seen or heard him mention it publicly, i have a sneaking suspicion that scott adams really hates calvin and hobbes.
I don't hate Calvin & Hobbes but everyone has some kind-of twee poo poo that they just can't stand, and that's mine.

It's absolutely because of the fans diluting the appeal, and I made peace with it once I learned that Calvin's Dad is Watterson down to appearance.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That's the second time I've seen someone use "twee" to describe Calvin and Hobbes and I'm wondering if I've mistaken the meaning of that word or if people haven't read the strip more than a couple times back when it was in newspapers. It's anything but cute and sappy.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

It's absolutely because of the fans diluting the appeal,

Lol what does that even mean? Popular thing bad?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I mean I can get that, fans of something like C and H can get pretty evangelical.

It's one of my favorite works of art but fans are kind of like fans of weed

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have definitely never encountered anyone being remotely "evangelical" about calvin and hobbes

those silly bumper stickers with calvin pissing on a ford or chevy logo or whatever are kind of dumb, because car brand rivalry poo poo is dumb, but i dont think thats really a typical c&h fan thing

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The best part about music opinions is that if you don't like, love or at least appreciate an artist or band you "don't understand it" or "just haven't gotten it". Comes up the most with the Beatles, Grateful Dead, Clapton, etc but you get it with Phish, or noise bands or bleep bloops or acoustic guitar sad guy singers. All of them. Just discount the reality that music is one of the most subjective possible things in existence. Nah, we polled some dudes, you need to just like get it maaaaan.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wtf weed is fun! :mad:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Earwicker posted:

i have definitely never encountered anyone being remotely "evangelical" about calvin and hobbes

I dunno maybe it's just the types of people I was around in jr high through college, but I've met a lot of people who just would not shut up about how brilliant it is.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Even Lennon hated Lennon's songs!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Wtf weed is fun! :mad:

Oh yeah, agreed, I'm a little stoned right now. But if you tell a Weed Person you don't like it, they'll just start pestering you with "well you just haven't tried the right strain bro"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

The best part about music opinions is that if you don't like, love or at least appreciate an artist or band you "don't understand it" or "just haven't gotten it". Comes up the most with the Beatles, Grateful Dead, Clapton, etc but you get it with Phish, or noise bands or bleep bloops or acoustic guitar sad guy singers. All of them. Just discount the reality that music is one of the most subjective possible things in existence. Nah, we polled some dudes, you need to just like get it maaaaan.

i get this but at the same time, i think it's actually quite true that a lot of people are very dismissive of artists they don't understand. in music and in many other art forms. there's a lot of music that i don't particularly like and would not listen to for enjoyment, but i can understand what the artist is going for and appreciate the amount of work that went into it. which is a bit different than calling stuff "garbage" or "crap" which is how a lot of people describe the music they dislike, often without giving it much of a chance.

also i know from personal experience that sometimes people dislike something initially and then start to like it when they hear it in a different context or mood. or phase of life.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh yeah, agreed, I'm a little stoned right now. But if you tell a Weed Person you don't like it, they'll just start pestering you with "well you just haven't tried the right strain bro"

Cut wooks entirely from your life and you won’t encounter this anymore.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

I've said this before: I quit getting into pointless arguments over music taste in middle school and learned to live with the idea that people didn't like the same things I do. I hope people who do this are finally able to grow up past middle school age and do the same.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think it’s true that putting some work into any form of art that may present itself as “difficult” can be incredibly rewarding but that idea does not invalidate the joy you get from anything else that doesn’t take this same commitment. That’s beyond absurd.

Edit: Also, not liking art is fine. I hate non-Jamaican Ska. loving hate it. I still consider myself cool even though this opinion may be irrational.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 28, 2024

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Monstaland posted:

I don't care much about the Rolling Stones with the exception of a couple of really excellent songs like paint it black and sympathy but recently I saw them doing a show on telly as old as they are and they actually blew me away with how well they still act, sound and play. It made me consider plowing through their discography.

Deep Tracks on SiriusXM was pushing Hackney Diamonds and I also heard one of its cuts in a record shop. The mixing sounded real bad to my ears.

Beatles Chat:

I've probably heard half their albums, a mix of early and later. Nothing hateable, but very little of their stuff clicks for me. Yesterday, yes. Eleanor Rigby, yes. Everything not named The Fool on the Hill and Blue Jay Way on Magical Mystery Tour? No.

Which is weird, considering I love lots of the Beach Boys catalog. (99% of everything after Love You is dire trash.)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Edit: I hate non-Jamaican Ska. loving hate it. I still consider myself cool even though this opinion may be irrational.

Agreeeeeed

Early Jamaican ska is some of the coolest music ever made, but almost all of the rest has been a disaster

Ska is truly a land of contrasts

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

syntaxfunction posted:

one of the things i enjoy most about being a fan of gurgle cookie monster ridiculous meathead death metal is that it's true that people don't like it because they legitimately don't *get* it, and in a way that's almost part of the appeal for me. but i don't blame anyone for not liking it or not getting it, it's difficult to digest and you can't really teach someone how to like it nor would you really wanna try.

this is why i get confused and frustrated when people try to convince me to like something like the beatles or whatever else i may not enjoy. just bc it's more popular or palatable than unga bunga blast beats doesn't mean i automatically am missing out on something bc it doesn't speak to me on a visceral level. leave me the hell alone about electric wizard gizzard lizard or whatever the gently caress it is. i don't like it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Snowy posted:

Agreeeeeed

Early Jamaican ska is some of the coolest music ever made, but almost all of the rest has been a disaster

Ska is truly a land of contrasts

Thank you I feel seen.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Earwicker posted:

i get this but at the same time, i think it's actually quite true that a lot of people are very dismissive of artists they don't understand. in music and in many other art forms. there's a lot of music that i don't particularly like and would not listen to for enjoyment, but i can understand what the artist is going for and appreciate the amount of work that went into it. which is a bit different than calling stuff "garbage" or "crap" which is how a lot of people describe the music they dislike, often without giving it much of a chance.

also i know from personal experience that sometimes people dislike something initially and then start to like it when they hear it in a different context or mood. or phase of life.

Absolutely. There are so many people who are happy to just dismiss a work without even trying to engage with it as it's meant to be approached. I've seen too many people compare bands to other bands that aren't even close to the same genre or vibe and go "this sucks." Like some stuffy old suit trying to listen to metal in his hoity toity lounge going, "no no no, this is awful, it's nothing like Liszt." It's so close-minded

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It means you don't like me but don't have anything better to say. Which is cool, but like, c'mon don't play dense there's nothing to work with there.

C&H fans, as has been said, can be evangelical weirdoes who think that their corny dad sentimentalism is the best because it's their corny dad sentimentalism.

Earwicker posted:

You're either lucky or one of the weirdoes.

Earwicker posted:

It's just like food-- there's nothing wrong with dino chicken nuggets being your favorite food, but if it's the only thing you'll ever eat and you won't even try to expand outwards, eventually your personality reflects that.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

mind the walrus posted:

It means you don't like me but don't have anything better to say. Which is cool, but like, c'mon don't play dense there's nothing to work with there.

C&H fans, as has been said, can be evangelical weirdoes who think that their corny dad sentimentalism is the best because it's their corny dad sentimentalism.

You're either lucky or one of the weirdoes.

It's just like food-- there's nothing wrong with dino chicken nuggets being your favorite food, but if it's the only thing you'll ever eat and you won't even try to expand outwards, eventually your personality reflects that.

What are the personality traits that manifest over time due to only eating dino chicken nuggets?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Worf posted:

Say a video game synopsis you’ve heard

Jump

Bang shoot shoot
Run

Jump
Shoot
Run
Shoot
Run jump

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kit Walker posted:

Absolutely. There are so many people who are happy to just dismiss a work without even trying to engage with it as it's meant to be approached. I've seen too many people compare bands to other bands that aren't even close to the same genre or vibe and go "this sucks." Like some stuffy old suit trying to listen to metal in his hoity toity lounge going, "no no no, this is awful, it's nothing like Liszt." It's so close-minded

The problem is that just about everybody has the been burned by bad recs before. If something doesn't click for you right away it's hard to tell without spending time getting into it whether it's good but tough to get, good but just not for you, or actually just mediocre. It's still lame to bash on stuff you haven't experienced properly but it also gets frustrating having people try to push it on you.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

the holy poopacy posted:

The problem is that just about everybody has the been burned by bad recs before. If something doesn't click for you right away it's hard to tell without spending time getting into it whether it's good but tough to get, good but just not for you, or actually just mediocre. It's still lame to bash on stuff you haven't experienced properly but it also gets frustrating having people try to push it on you.

Just do what everyone else does: say “oh yeah, drat, that sounds cool, I’ll check it out for sure” and then don’t ever follow through

Well, at this point I have a pretty good sense of what I’m going to really enjoy, and I’ll still check out stuff my friends are into so I can talk about it with them even if I’m pretty sure I’ll find it mediocre. I can afford to burn a couple hours here and there for friends

Kit Walker fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 28, 2024

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Spinz posted:

Jump

Bang shoot shoot
Run

Jump
Shoot
Run
Shoot
Run jump

And chess is just picking up pieces of wood and putting them down again. Ludicrous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kit Walker posted:

Not everybody has to like everything, and being able to anticipate the things you are not going to like is important if you value your time. Overall if something looks like it's going to be poo poo on a first glance, it's better to go along with that first impression until there is some overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 28, 2024