Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

SplitSoul posted:

Tell your mom I said hi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mila kunis posted:

I've long held that the standards of living in america's vassal states in europe are too high. They need to start getting the latin america treatment, that they've walked into the beginning of this process willingly by cutting themselves off from cheap energy supplies is pretty funny

that's stupid, do you really think america is just going to hang europe out to dry :laugh:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

owned

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

reads like they're pausing regulatory approval on the expansion or creation of new LNG export facilities, not limiting existing export operations

quote:

The U.S. is already the number one exporter of LNG worldwide – with U.S. LNG exports expected to double by the end of this decade. At the same time, the U.S. remains unwavering in our commitment to supporting our allies around the world. Today’s announcement will not impact our ability to continue supplying LNG to our allies in the near-term. Last year, roughly half of U.S. LNG exports went to Europe, and the U.S. has worked with the E.U. to successfully economize consumption and manage its storage to ensure that unprovoked acts of aggression cannot threaten its supply. Furthermore, in 2022, the E.U and U.S. pledged to work toward the goal of ensuring additional LNG volumes for the E.U. market – with the U.S. exceeding our annual delivery targets to the E.U. in each of the past two years. Through existing LNG production and export infrastructure, the U.S. has – and will continue – to deliver for our allies.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

webcams for christ posted:

reads like they're pausing regulatory approval on the expansion or creation of new LNG export facilities, not limiting existing export operations

lol, reads like a pointed reminder that they hold the dagger floating over their heads. i know i definitely wouldn't be accelerating any plans i may have had to move my factory out of europe!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

they do mention the nordstream pipelines in danish media once in a while

here's an article from jan 4 that says we might get fined by the EU for having super high emissions lol (the leaked methane is something like a fifth of our regular annual output)
https://politiken.dk/klima/art9697467/Sabotage-bankede-klimaaftryk-i-vejret-og-kan-udl%F8se-milliardb%F8de

last year there was a lot of talk about it being the ukrainians who did it, according to supposed german intel. heres a wapo article i didnt read:
https://archive.vn/uxZA5

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

SplitSoul posted:

Danish Ministry of Defense sat on classified reports for 13 years showing that its bombing missions killed civilians in Libya.

Chiming in a bit late to say that, from what I heard repeatedly through the rumour mill, the Danish got up to some pretty serious war crimes in Afghanistan also.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Honest Thief posted:

https://www.project-syndicate.org/o...fevlSEb6nyuY%3d

Varoufakis new article on the shaping of the Eu was really interesting with some insight how this poo poo show got up

idk enough about the EU or finance but i had a sad lol @ the conclusion:

quote:

Today, both Delors’ and Schäuble’s visions lay in ruins, as if in a Greek tragedy. The way the euro crisis was managed put paid to Delors’ vision of a Europe in the image of a social-democratic Greater France, and it ruined Schäuble’s attempt to safeguard the postwar model at the heart of a fiscally sovereign Germany that continues to lose itself in a mercantilist Europe.

Back when the euro was still on the drawing board, neither Delors nor Schäuble could have imagined, or would condone, Europe’s inane response to the euro’s inevitable crisis. The combination of massive austerity and monetary largesse that preserved the eurozone in its original format, which both Delors and Schäuble correctly deemed unviable, is the reason why Europe is now politically fragmented and in secular decline. History, once more, proved a cruel master of noteworthy Europeans who refused to see that Europe’s interests are in direct opposition to the interests of its ruling classes.

crepeface has issued a correction as of 16:58 on Jan 26, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Frosted Flake posted:

Chiming in a bit late to say that, from what I heard repeatedly through the rumour mill, the Danish got up to some pretty serious war crimes in Afghanistan also.

as in separately from the proven handing off pows to be tortured?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Carthag Tuek posted:

as in separately from the proven handing off pows to be tortured?

Yes, they knowingly collaborated with a pedophile police chief who raped children within earshot and also murdered a bunch of civilians, but they paid some blood money after the fact, so it's alright.

https://www.information.dk/databloggen/2015/05/undskyld-afghanistan-prisen-paa-civiles-liv

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SplitSoul posted:

Yes, they knowingly collaborated with a pedophile police chief who raped children within earshot and also murdered a bunch of civilians, but they paid some blood money after the fact, so it's alright.

https://www.information.dk/databloggen/2015/05/undskyld-afghanistan-prisen-paa-civiles-liv

ugh forgot that one but i meant like if it was a "rumor" as in something that wasnt one of the multiple documented warcrimes, as in are we gonna see some new poo poo surface

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

I prefer the funny war crimes

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Weka posted:

I prefer the funny war crimes

what's your favorite

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

speng31b posted:

what's your favorite

poison gas popularized the toothbrush mustache, widely considered hilarious (e.g., Chaplin, Hitler), and yet its use was a war crime. without it, would the world be as funny?

quote:

Poison gas was introduced by Imperial Germany, and was subsequently used by all major belligerents in the war, in violation of the 1899 Hague Declaration Concerning Asphyxiating Gases and the 1907 Hague Convention on Land Warfare.[41][42]

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

poison gas popularized the toothbrush mustache, widely considered hilarious (e.g., Chaplin, Hitler), and yet its use was a war crime. without it, would the world be as funny?

lol forever that it is illegal to use poison gas on enemy soliders but entirely okay and legal to use on your own population

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It’s because tear gas would be banned as well, as it is in conventional war, and no state wants to give that up.

The US created all sorts of pretexts for their use of tear gas in Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq, but the general consensus is that where two signatories are at war, it’s way too dangerous to use CS gas.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s because tear gas would be banned as well, as it is in conventional war, and no state wants to give that up.

The US created all sorts of pretexts for their use of tear gas in Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq, but the general consensus is that where two signatories are at war, it’s way too dangerous to use CS gas.

power respects only power. I'm sure we used the poo poo out of it in Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq since there was no one on the other side to gas our soliders right back.

Really brings lie to the "Iraq had chemical weapons" claim

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

bedpan posted:

power respects only power. I'm sure we used the poo poo out of it in Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq since there was no one on the other side to gas our soliders right back.

Really brings lie to the "Iraq had chemical weapons" claim

Yeah exactly.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Saddam LOVED lentils

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://x.com/birgitc/status/1750805223583498399

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

oh gently caress off

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:hmmrona:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

economic collapse WITH covid.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

germans are sick fucks

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Lostconfused posted:

economic collapse WITH covid.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

w00t
Report about Erdoğan-affiliate party in Germany leads to alarm

www.turkishminute.com - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 posted:

A report by the German Bild am Sonntag newspaper about the establishment of a Turkish-Islamist party in Germany close to President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan that will run in the upcoming European elections has led to alarm in the country, with many interpreting it as an attempt by Erdoğan to expand his influence on the Turkish population there, several German media outlets reported.

Bild am Sonntag reported on Sunday that Erdoğan is seeking the establishment of a Turkish-Islamist political party called Demokratische Allianz für Vielfalt und Aufbruch (Democratic Alliance for Diversity and Awakening, or DAVA) with the expectation that the party will run in the European elections scheduled for June 9.

“Dava” is also a Turkish word frequently used by Erdoğan meaning “cause” or something he is fighting for.

Politicians from several parties in Germany have expressed concerns about the possible establishment of a “branch” of Erdoğan’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) in the country.

The Social Democratic Party (SPD) of Germany chairwoman Saskia Esken told Welt-TV that it was important to make it clear to German citizens of Turkish origin that Germany belongs together and that they are one people.

She said “neither should the right-wing extremists who want to deport migrants be allowed to get close to the power nor should the divisive tendencies of Recep Tayyip Erdogan” play a role in Germany.

According to Bild am Sonntag, four men who previously worked for organizations close to Erdoğan or his AKP are named as the top candidates for the European elections.

Germany’s Agriculture Minister Cem Özdemir from the Greens Party, who is of Turkish origin, also reacted to the news about the possible establishment of an Erdoğan-affiliate party in Germany, saying on X, “An Erdogan offshoot running for elections here is the last thing we need.”

Jens Spahn, a member of the German parliament from the Christian Democratic Union of Germany (CDU), warned on X that an Erdoğan-AKP offshoot in Germany “would be another extreme party in the country,” in an implicit reference to the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party.

Christoph de Vries, another CDU lawmaker in the German parliament, told Bild am Sonntag that the German government should never make the establishment of an Erdoğan-affiliate party in the country easy.

“It is urgent that the security authorities closely monitor all activities of this party and its connections to the Turkish government and intervene if the Turkish government exerts direct influence,” he said.

De Vries also warned that with the foundation of a Turkish-Islamist party in Germany, Erdoğan will have another lever in his hand along with the Turkish-Islamic Union for Religious Affairs (DİTİB) to exert political influence in Germany and “will try to use this new instrument of power.”

​DİTİB, which runs more than 900 mosques in Germany, has been accused of acting as the long arm of the Turkish government following a 2016 coup attempt against Erdoğan.

Some imams are alleged to have acted on the orders of Turkish diplomatic posts to spy on followers of the Gülen movement, which Ankara blames for the failed coup despite its denial.

Critics say Erdoğan uses DİTİB to promote his agenda among the Turks in Germany and get their support in the elections.

Erdoğan enjoys widespread support among almost 3 million people in the country who are Turkish or have Turkish roots.

Germany has the largest Turkish community abroad with its 1.5 million voters.

Erdoğa received an overwhelming 65.4 percent support among Turkish voters residing in Germany in the presidential election held in May.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/MaMoMVPY/status/1752432402595545440

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I'm pretty sure I started seeing those years ago. Perhaps I am just more attuned to the world of specters.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

can confirm that poo poo has been popping up all over where i live, i think i started seeing them about a year ago

i’ve just quietly been assuming it’s either an op or some dumbass trot bullshit (but i repeat myself).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've seen those same stickers in NYC. They are indeed trots, the IMT which is a splinter of a splinter of a splinter or something

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

but to answer the question, yes i am

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

It's funny how the these people think exactly like every other conspiracy theorist. Some dudes are putting stickers on lampposts? Must be the Russian government masterminding it!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
bich, du kommunist? dann organisier dich!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
think I mentioned it before but this weekend the nazi march in downtown lisbon is going happen despite being deemed illegal, ofc that always mattered little and even less to people who bemoaned left marches

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Did you see the large forehead lady on Publico trying to argue for it. Not even JMT squeezed his neck for it!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

wow, hard to believe that the Trots are that powerful

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Kunster posted:

Did you see the large forehead lady on Publico trying to argue for it. Not even JMT squeezed his neck for it!

maria marques or that old fashy husk?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Venomous posted:

wow, hard to believe that the Trots are that powerful

Is he saying the USSR was funding trots in the 70ies?

genericnick has issued a correction as of 16:06 on Feb 1, 2024

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

International economist, "Money Doctor", sports analytics nerd, research associate Copenhagen Business School

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

genericnick posted:

Is he saying the USSR was funding trots in the 70ies?

that famous Trotskyist, Leonid Brezhnev