Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Khanstant posted:

I caught one last night on some island and he works for me?

Maybe it's just an issue with the boss version then. Guess I'll try catching or breeding a normal sized one and see if that fixes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SettingSun posted:

I'm kinda feeling burned out now that the second weekend is here. Pal management is way, way too cumbersome right now and you can't make too intricate of a base because pals get stuck everywhere. Exploring is whatever since half the world is barren. Along with a host of other small/medium annoyances I'm about at the 'watch the thread/news' part of the EA cycle.

:same:

I played with player experience cranked up and when I reached the late 40s I started to realize that there's not much to this game beyond leveling up and unlocking techs. Still had fun with it but I'll come back when they have more interesting dungeons or boss fights that actually encourage building and using a diverse team or something like that. I have a hard time motivating myself to do the pal breeding/condensing/etc grind knowing that there's not anything to use those minmaxed pals for yet.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Mounts that apply elemental damage to your attacks directly buff your attack stat. My 1 star Ragnahawk gives +55% and my 2 star Univolt gives +65%. Pretty nice. With all my other buffs (Vanguard, Gobfin, Attack Pendant) I get +90% attack. Working on breeding a better Gobfin, ideally with Vanguard for a natural +20%, and then condensing it for even more.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I was also starting to get that feeling but I still have some bosses and the lance knight desert bosses who wiped my whole team. Dont know if I'll need to minmax to beat those final max level bosses and stuff, just get closer to that level.

It is underwhelming there aren't any fights against an enemy who summons up to 6 creatures, even swapping em to dodge attacks and such. If they made the AI robust enough that could be fun with another human shooting at you and needing to attack back to distract them from dodging your attacks with swaps.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I've only done one boss and explored maybe 60% of the map with 70 hours in. That's how much time I've spent doing loving base management. :smith:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kith posted:

I've only done one boss and explored maybe 60% of the map with 70 hours in. That's how much time I've spent doing loving base management. :smith:

Same, only tower I've done is the tutorial one and I've maybe done 5+ dungeons. Now I have the best production lines up but I'm constantly out of High quality pal oil to make Polymer. Anyone have a good source or am I just gonna have to search the map for some Mammorests?

It's likely that I will burn out in a few days, but it's been quite fun so far and I can't wait to see what they add.

Wumbo doesn't care even if his butt warms up a bit.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I'm playing on a server with default settings, and close to level 42 it's awesome rolling through a level 20-30 zone with 300 Hyper Spheres and getting 10k xp per catch. Looking at my remaining Paldex I'm pretty sure I can just keep catching my way through to 50.

My end goal is catching one of each pal and killing each tower boss, and that seems like it's taking good effort in base building, mon catching/breeding, and exploring. I imagine I might get there by next week or so, which is still more gameplay I've managed to wring out of a Pokemon title in like 15 years.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Nails sell for insane cash and things like HQ pal oil and bone are sold on merchants you can cap and put in your base.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Atoramos posted:

Nails sell for insane cash and things like HQ pal oil and bone are sold on merchants you can cap and put in your base.

They’re even thankful for the privilege (because their canned dialog doesn’t change).

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

has anyone found a pal that looks similar to Snorunt. little guy's my favorite

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

Talorat posted:

Is there an easier way to cure Depression than making the expensive rear end Pal SSRIs which cost 5 ingots per? That seems pretty steep! I left them in the box overnight and it didn't help

My uncle says try going outside and exercising

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Do eggs from breeding hatch quicker than ones found in the wild?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MacheteZombie posted:

Do eggs from breeding hatch quicker than ones found in the wild?

i think it depends on the egg/species. ive had wild and bred eggs take 5 minutes, and ive had both take over an hour

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Countblanc posted:

i think it depends on the egg/species. ive had wild and bred eggs take 5 minutes, and ive had both take over an hour

Is that with altered egg timers? I've never had any that low

I'm playing on default and these wild huge eggs taking 48 hours is making me lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

cumpantry posted:

has anyone found a pal that looks similar to Snorunt. little guy's my favorite

Unfortunately no, they kind of skimped on the cool weirdos. Swee or Sweepa might be closest options and don't cut the mustard for Snorunt.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm playing on default and these wild huge eggs taking 48 hours is making me lol

If the eggs are taking 48 hours, you're playing with hardmode egg timers. Just turn them down in the world settings, the hardmode timers are insane.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

MacheteZombie posted:

There is no reason to do this to yourself

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

2 hours is max on normal

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah im playing on normal

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ah I see. Guess I'll practice patience.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

please increase the pal box count, pocket pair. i'm fusing pals just to make space.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Dedicated servers default eggtimers to hardmode for whatever reason and need to be set by an admin to the actual defaults you get when playing on your own.

Apparently the cap rate you see when you hold Q doesn't take into account your Effigy improvements, which is why the number jumps higher when they're in the ball.

When you cancel a job all the mats pop out, so you can make a crusher near your Palbox, set it to make max Paladium and cancel the job to get all that base's stone teleported right to you.

XP gained for the first 10 caps increases per level so you can ride around lower level zones finishing things up for tons of xp.

As mentioned higher up, Nails sell for a ton and merchants can be capped and used in your base for most mats and ammo. Quartz/Sulfur don't seem to be needed in quantities that deserve dedicating a base to them.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 27, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Khanstant posted:

Unfortunately no, they kind of skimped on the cool weirdos. Swee or Sweepa might be closest options and don't cut the mustard for Snorunt.

you know me well, i got a swee sweepin' up around the ore farm and i love the lil man. hope i can find a big one somewhere

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Countblanc posted:

It's a set time based on size, normal-large-huge, the egg timer should default to 2 hours for huge.

Incubation time is also modified by temperature, the egg incubator will say "the egg is cold/warm" and you place coolers or heaters by them to speed it up.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Or you can play with actual good server settings and put that poo poo to 0 so eggs hatch instantly.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

bird food bathtub posted:

Or you can play with actual good server settings and put that poo poo to 0 so eggs hatch instantly.

I have been doing this and it rules.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Are there very few dungeons near the volcano? I've found zero. Very few outside the starter island, in general.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I reccomend breeding an Anubis and Vanwyrm ASAP. The resulting giant rooster is the fastest flying thing I've found, plus it looks cool and has good attacks.

Rinkles posted:

please increase the pal box count, pocket pair. i'm fusing pals just to make space.

I think you're meant to? No reason to have a dozen sitting around especially with bad traits, even your workers benefit from it. I do wish the capture bonus stopped at 20 or the second tier of merging was lower. Or even allow star stacking somehow since you need 21 to make a 2 star cleanly.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Rinkles posted:

Are there very few dungeons near the volcano? I've found zero. Very few outside the starter island, in general.

There's a few, but they're mostly spread out

Here's a quick Map with the ones I've found.
Though I think there's probably some I've missed.

2 of the ones in the middle area are mineshafts though

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

cumpantry posted:

you know me well, i got a swee sweepin' up around the ore farm and i love the lil man. hope i can find a big one somewhere
There's a boss version, it's like 11 or so? Not sure if the level matters to you.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Heads up to those that have reached endgame.

There is a hidden (or overlooked) pal that you can currently only get through breeding. It doesn't even have an entry in the dex until you get it, so it's hard to know it exists.
It's an Alternate version of one of the legendary pals, and you can get it by breeding Frostallion with a Helzephyr.

Kinda neat.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

bird food bathtub posted:

i like when they take a little bit because it builds anticipation

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Early-ish
set up an orebase, there is a good location near the chillet world boss, get some things mining/smelting to make green and yellow balls, or spam blue ones, im not your dad.
get cake ingredients
catch a Bushi and a Penking from the boss arenas at the starter islands, breed Anubis from the pair.
get some hot clothing and t-shirt
go west to the volcano with a flier, vanwyrm spawns near the Bushi arena, pick up large flame eggs and hatch the giant fire lizards

you now have t4 crafters, a t3 logger, t3 miners, t3 burners, vanwyrm are t3 haulers. you should be able to get this about level 25 or so.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Countblanc posted:

i like when they take a little bit because it builds anticipation

Yeah i don't mind the waiting. I'd probably lower it to the two hour timer but the buds I play with prefer the default hard settings.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

im glad my bros respect how the game's intended. even if it sucks to retrieve stuff, i deal. it's a tough world out there, us and our mons stick together. and meanwhile i wont tell them my singleplayer save has tools kept on death :D

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i love waiting on egg. go out and hunt, come home to baby

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Condensing this Swift Runner Ragnahawk to level three is going to take a lot of time and pal spheres. Even with the Red spheres I only get a ~33% capture chance (and it feels worse).

Broken Cog posted:

There's a few, but they're mostly spread out

Here's a quick Map with the ones I've found.
Though I think there's probably some I've missed.

2 of the ones in the middle area are mineshafts though

thanks

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I think you're meant to? No reason to have a dozen sitting around especially with bad traits, even your workers benefit from it. I do wish the capture bonus stopped at 20 or the second tier of merging was lower. Or even allow star stacking somehow since you need 21 to make a 2 star cleanly.

it's more that it's a hassle when sometimes I just want to go out and explore and not think about another form of inventory management

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Rinkles posted:

Condensing this Swift Runner Ragnahawk to level three is going to take a lot of time and pal spheres. Even with the Red spheres I only get a ~33% capture chance (and it feels worse).

thanks

Set up a breeding ranch to pump out Ragnahawk eggs. I'm trying to breed a Swift Runner Ragnahawk using an Elphidran and a Beakon atm, I'm probably gonna get a shitton of dud eggs before I pass those traits down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rinkles posted:

thanks

It probably is worse, as far as I can tell the Capture Rate % is not your percentage chance to capture the target, it's just how far the meter is filled when you first throw. At higher levels you can have near-100% capture rate against things that list ~20% or less on the throw preview, and you can also totally have extremely low chances to capture a weakened pal that lists 80% on the throw preview.