Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Nearly UK related - a new kind of gender gap is emerging, worldwide:
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1750849189834022932

The world is getting hosed up in new, interesting ways! That's... interesting

e: Dang. According to Rishi Sunak, the ~woke blob~ would have you believe there are 189 genders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if that's also algorithmic. Older generations would have sat down and watched the TV together for their news, or read the same paper, and other differences in views would likely come from work or friend groups.

Now people are getting individualized news and politics suggestions from their phones, which could explain the gap.

The era when it was the other way around in the 90s is interesting too. Much further back it used to be that men would get news from their workplace (often the trade union paper) and women from a church newsletter or similar, so men tended more Labour and (Protestant at least) women trended Conservative.

That's like pre-70s though, so I can't see it being that phenomenon for young people in the 90s.

(participation in workforce, 16-64)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The thing that stood out to me was the universal jump in the UK around 2015-ish.

Few things that could be the cause of that.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

The Sun replacing all of their union printers and inkers and mechanics with digital printers caused far more loss of jobs, drop in quality, and loss of working class say on what was printed than replacing Harry Cole with a ChatGPT that also writes horseshit, but because that could be the journalists' jobs there's far more written about it.

Yeah that's how I feel about it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

This thing isn't just used to extract semen from corpses by certain armies today, it is also used to move cows. How many "cow punchers" lost their jobs to it? It is a stick with a battery.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Despite having no current interest in battle of the sexes content, my scrolling algorithms keep trying to show me influencer types talking about how women hate men and how hard it is to be a man etc etc — or just straight up clips from some jorpy screed. Having lived through the gamergate years with a community who could encourage me and talk me through the feminist side of that whole mess, I've got no time for these shorts on my feeds. Thing is, if these videos had caught the 18 year old dingus version of me all those years ago, I might be one of the guys subtracting from the blue percentage right now.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I don't need to be a corpse to have my semen extracted by way of electric stick :colbert:

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Scientastic posted:

We have an “AI” at work that is trained on all the company literature, and it’s really loving useful, because it knows where everything is and what documents you need to answer customers’ annoying questions. I think that’s about the only ethical use of these things, because it’s only using stuff that is already owned by the corporation, to answer questions that would otherwise take hours and hours of searching to find.

This is all fun and games until it hallucinates a fire escape

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
All this space flight and destructive AI is fascinating but techbros are way behind the expected deadline of 2001.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
health and safety dragging things down

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

Despite having no current interest in battle of the sexes content, my scrolling algorithms keep trying to show me influencer types talking about how women hate men and how hard it is to be a man etc etc — or just straight up clips from some jorpy screed. Having lived through the gamergate years with a community who could encourage me and talk me through the feminist side of that whole mess, I've got no time for these shorts on my feeds. Thing is, if these videos had caught the 18 year old dingus version of me all those years ago, I might be one of the guys subtracting from the blue percentage right now.

There are probably teenage boys at every secondary school in the UK who think Andrew Tate speaks nothing but truth.
And every time someone says that Tate is a piece of poo poo, there's some right-wing prick either outright stanning him, or "yeah, but"-ing the argument to where young people can genuinely claim to be confused on the issue.

This is one of the areas where I think the degradation of trust in authority has outright negative consequences. Because it's overwhelmingly the 'rebels' who praise Tate, and if you (rightly) think that most UK politicians are stupid motherfuckers, you could reasonably think that the 'rebels' have a point on most things they say. The fact that the people defending Tate always seem to be just far enough removed from the Farage and Larry Fox's of the world for those cunts to retain deniability is obviously going to be lost on a horny 14 year old.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't really care about AI. Complaining about it seems kinda like the luddites complaining about industrial machines. It's something that needs to be adapted to sure, but that's just technological innovation for you. You can't stop the tide.

The luddites were proven basically right though. They were mad because machines were being used to reduce the numbers employed in weaving, leaving people without their livelihood while drastically cutting wages for those "lucky" enough to operate the looms. Meanwhile the factory owners reaped massive profits all the while conditions were far more dangerous than traditional weaving methods. And the luddites didn't just complain, they sabotaged manufacturing equipment.

Yeah, the end result may be inevitable but that doesn't mean you don't fight it tooth and nail, because that's the only way to get even the slightest concession from capital.

Would also argue that "AI" really doesn't seem inevitable. What the gently caress is even the point? Oh, you can ask it to do a Python script for you? Great, and then you have to go through line by line to check it hasn't "learned" to embed some operation In the code that basically acts like a virus or whatever.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Deep learning and adversarial neural networks (which is 90% of what AI means nowadays) are really cool from a compsci perspective. The main reason for why it's exciting is precisely that it's not a traditional algorithmic approach, at least in the sense of applied algorithms in compsci - instead it's closer to stochastic methods in a similar vein to say Monte Carlo simulations from 1940s.

The point is that you, as a programmer, don't know the exact steps to come up with a solution, but instead run some sort of analysis of data to generate the solution (or to generate a program for finding the solution) for you. In comparison traditional algorithms are more along the lines of a mathematical proof, where you have precise steps to e.g. sort a bucket of data or find the shortest path and you can reason about their efficiency.

Now deep learning is one of many such approaches that have been found over time, but it stands out for three reasons, at least to me:
  • First it's quite good at solving general problems, whereas previous ML techniques had to be tuned for a specific task - typical example being an aircraft autopilot tuned for a specific plane. An interesting aside of this is that these older approaches tend to be less error prone.

• Second is that it's actually really good at solving certain classes of problems, in a way that most comp sci advances frankly haven't been, or took a very long time to get there. The first major application was to do with image recognition, where a relatively simple solution beat several well-funded research teams who were using other techniques (which happened well over a decade ago).

• The last big reason it's exciting to me is that neural networks have always been on the more theoretical end of comp sci and then suddenly became very successful in a way that most people didn't expect. It was even seen as a bit fanciful that neural network techniques would be particularly good just because they vaguely follow what brains are doing. That makes the - by the standards of computer science - massive successes in the last couple years quite exciting.

None of that is really related to how it changes society or clashes with IP rights. And from a personal perspective I find image generation in particular really fun to use due to having a learning disorder related to art and writing. I also quite enjoy playing with GPTs because it lets you talk to a computer in a way that has never really been possible before (ELIZA and it's ilk is utter rubbish in comparison, which is why it was largely seen as a dead end).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 28, 2024

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

As the moonlight dances, the world takes its rest,
Into the embrace of slumber, I am blessed.
Shutting down like a Tesla after a long drive,
Dreams unfold, where even Shrek may arrive.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

They were mad because machines were being used to reduce the numbers employed in weaving, leaving people without their livelihood while drastically cutting wages for those "lucky" enough to operate the looms. Meanwhile the factory owners reaped massive profits all the while conditions were far more dangerous than traditional weaving methods.
This can also be solved with ML techniques.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

If my previous post seemed to be AI generated I swear it hasn't been, it's just that AI tends to follow the general structure of writing on technical(-ish) topics, possibly a training bias.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 28, 2024

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

jaete posted:

Nearly UK related - a new kind of gender gap is emerging, worldwide:
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1750849189834022932

The world is getting hosed up in new, interesting ways! That's... interesting

e: Dang. According to Rishi Sunak, the ~woke blob~ would have you believe there are 189 genders

the south korea situation is super interesting, especially in the context that the birth rate is already sub 0.8 and the population is projected to fall double digit percents by 2060

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

This can also be solved with ML techniques.

Heh

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

How does that apply to digital photography? What does the original look like?

I’m not sure what you mean? I presume a digital copy of a digital photo looks exactly the same unless I’m wildly misinformed

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

I’m not sure what you mean? I presume a digital copy of a digital photo looks exactly the same unless I’m wildly misinformed

Just the notion that copies aren't art, seems like it would have issues with works that are fundamentally lacking an "original" such as digital works. How would it work with prints, transfers between media etc.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

forkboy84 posted:

The luddites were proven basically right though. They were mad because machines were being used to reduce the numbers employed in weaving, leaving people without their livelihood while drastically cutting wages for those "lucky" enough to operate the looms. Meanwhile the factory owners reaped massive profits all the while conditions were far more dangerous than traditional weaving methods. And the luddites didn't just complain, they sabotaged manufacturing equipment.

Yeah, the end result may be inevitable but that doesn't mean you don't fight it tooth and nail, because that's the only way to get even the slightest concession from capital.

None of that makes the Luddites correct in their analysis or strategy, however much we prefer them to the capitalists and do-nothings. They lost, and who knows how much better things might be if they had attacked the actual enemy.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I have just seen the new shiny keir starmer policy

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1750932675756519672

Respect Orders! this sounds like he's just given ASBOs a new name while being even more patronising. i assume they will be about as effective at dealing with the root causes

oh yeah he's really going in on bringing Respect

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1750951816269832357

Angepain fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 28, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Zero-Tolerance Zones in hotpot areas
Looking to lose Lancashire then.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm just glad someone is finally dealing with those hotpot areas.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I had a bunch of Chinese friends at uni and having a hotpot was always great.

Now they all went back to China and I don't get to have it anymore.

Therefore in the full spirit of FYGM I support banning of all hotpot places in London.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 28, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

We'll soon be longing for the calmness and sanity of the Tory years when Keith finally takes control

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

forkboy84 posted:

I disagree. Any technological innovation that reduces the amount of human labour necessary to produce X is a desirable thing, whether that's a spinning jenny or an AI model.* Despite all the (understandable) complaints from creative types etc, AI can still do some very cool things that are actually useful.

Dismantle the bosses and the capitalist economic framework, not the technology. I want to be sitting under a tree by the river with a book, some cheese and crackers, and a nice pint of cider while the AI powered drone workforce deals with all the productivity nonsense, not chucking a bunch of those drones into a trash compactor so me and my pals can unclog the sewers ourselves for a few quid.

*Yes, I'm oversimplifying by not taking into account the environmental impact etc

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

I disagree. Any technological innovation that reduces the amount of human labour necessary to produce X is a desirable thing, whether that's a spinning jenny or an AI model.* [...] Dismantle the bosses and the capitalist economic framework, not the technology.
Great! We can bring back AI and plan out all the extra leisure time we're going to enjoy after capitalism is dismantled; because until it is, any 'labour saving' innovations are only ever going to be used to put workers on the streets and break unions. It can't be done the other way round.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Great! We can bring back AI and plan out all the extra leisure time we're going to enjoy after capitalism is dismantled; because until it is, any 'labour saving' innovations are only ever going to be used to put workers on the streets and break unions. It can't be done the other way round.

OK but my point is more that you can't stop technological progress and it makes no sense being Canute. It's pretty implausible to imagine that we should just oppose any labour saving tech outright at all times until we have an equitable economic system because if we did that we'd still be a bunch of subsistence farmers. You just have to accept developments and organise around them. How exactly we do that is another question of course, but I feel like crude Luddism is a bit of a dead end.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Scientastic posted:

We have an “AI” at work that is trained on all the company literature, and it’s really loving useful, because it knows where everything is and what documents you need to answer customers’ annoying questions. I think that’s about the only ethical use of these things, because it’s only using stuff that is already owned by the corporation, to answer questions that would otherwise take hours and hours of searching to find.

I am really looking forward to all the copyright breaking AIs drowning in litigation.

Ah: my works looking to implement similar & it would save me a ton of time if we did: could you share more info on what solution you've used? Either here or over PMs?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ThomasPaine posted:

It's pretty implausible to imagine that we should just oppose any labour saving tech outright at all times until we have an equitable economic system because if we did that we'd still be a bunch of subsistence farmers. You just have to accept developments and organise around them. How exactly we do that is another question of course, but I feel like crude Luddism is a bit of a dead end.

I think you're misrepresenting the "crude" Luddites a bit. They understood this perfectly well, since they themselves were often skilled artisans turned skilled machine operators - the issue wasn't the technology but who controlled it. Wrecking machines wasn't just random vandalism, it was an organised campaign of specifically targeted attacks that aimed to force factory owners to negotiate with their workers.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Fair enough then, that sounds grand. 19th C British history bores me to tears so I'm not exactly up with the nuances of the movement. I blame being forced to study the bloody chartists in high school.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 28, 2024

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah we have our own ChatGPT instance at work and it's bloody useful as you can feed in the doc you've written and it'll tell you xyz person has already covered this but you might want to consider these other points etc.

I also use ai art for design docs a lot because it's a drat sight safer than trawling all the virus ridden "free png" sites when you just want a picture of a rock without a background for your rock design PowerPoint that is due on Tuesday to be shown to the networking team so they can tell you that your rock design is too complicated and will take 18 months to build.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

Yeah we have our own ChatGPT instance at work and it's bloody useful as you can feed in the doc you've written and it'll tell you xyz person has already covered this but you might want to consider these other points etc.

I also use ai art for design docs a lot because it's a drat sight safer than trawling all the virus ridden "free png" sites when you just want a picture of a rock without a background for your rock design PowerPoint that is due on Tuesday to be shown to the networking team so they can tell you that your rock design is too complicated and will take 18 months to build.

You make rocks? You are a Geological Era and I claim my £5.

(Sorry - not been to bed yet and it's 630am).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

ThomasPaine posted:

OK but my point is more that you can't stop technological progress and it makes no sense being Canute. It's pretty implausible to imagine that we should just oppose any labour saving tech outright at all times until we have an equitable economic system because if we did that we'd still be a bunch of subsistence farmers. You just have to accept developments and organise around them. How exactly we do that is another question of course, but I feel like crude Luddism is a bit of a dead end.

We limit technology for public safety all the time.
Most people aren't asking for this technology to be banned, but how it's used and made to be regulated and controlled.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Oh dear me posted:

None of that makes the Luddites correct in their analysis or strategy, however much we prefer them to the capitalists and do-nothings. They lost, and who knows how much better things might be if they had attacked the actual enemy.

They did? They wrecked the machines and threatened Capitalists which is why the newspapers demonised them and the police were set on them.

Trying to do solidarity in the late 18th and early 19th centuries is not easy.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I am currently reading a book that seems to be concerned (at least the parts I have read so far) about how to theorise about and critic art / literature in the proper Marxist way (I'm a bit thick, so a lot of it is going over my head).

It is Culture and Materialism by Raymond Williams, published by Verso Books.

Quite an interesting read so far.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Josef bugman posted:

They did? They wrecked the machines and threatened Capitalists which is why the newspapers demonised them and the police were set on them.

Sabotaging machines might be satisfying and make a capitalist wail (before they collect on the insurance). But it also suggests the machines are the problem and does nothing to undermine capitalism itself. The newspapers and police attacked every popular movement, but that doesn't prove there was actually a threat to the capitalist system. All but one of the Chartists' demands were eventually granted, after popular Chartism faded away, without making much difference to capitalism itself. And maybe the Chartists' focus on electoral reforms rather than socialism helped make our 1848 moment such a damp squib, and gave future Tory governments ideas about how they could appear to be 'one nation' Tories while supporting the rich against the poor in everything that actually matters. Similarly focusing on machines putting people out of work just lets politicians come up with 'solutions' like eg subsidizing employers' (re-)training programmes or making full employment of everyone in the capitalists' interest a possible Labour 'goal', and thereafter any uptick in the employment cycle can be taken as proof that the problem is over and there's no more need to campaign.

Basically I think any strategy that makes workers working for capitalists a desirable goal is profoundly wrong and only harms us in the end.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I think the problem which 'well, you can't stop technological progress, don't be obstinate' doesn't consider well enough is the fact that AI art and writing is coming off the back of a cultural tradition under capitalism which not only values art solely as historical product and established brand, but which has zero time for the contemporary artistic process.

Society should support and protect contemporary human artists because we can agree that where people are given time and space to bring their craft, thought, emotion, life experience, and sensibility to bear on stories or works that explore or reflect or dissect some aspect of what it means to be alive right now in this moment, it can have a meaningful influence on society-wide thought, progress, and change*. The personal can become universal; it can create human connection.

"Art is more democratic now that I can have a computer generate 20 convincing Van Gogh facsimilies with a prompt" is patently a bad argument, but I think it's dangerous to view it solely as a debate about whether a foolproof imitation is as good as the real thing, or whether typing 'big jugs drider style of Mike Mignola' into ChatGPT constitutes an act of creativity in its own right. The problem isn't that an AI-generated Shakespeare play is innately valueless compared to King Lear, the problem is the fetishisation of the final product without considering the importance of process and context.

AI art is end-of-history thinking. We've decided that we already have a big enough database of cultural product that all we need to do is efficiently manufacture more of the stuff we like best or mash-ups of what we like best, and that immediately turns art into stagnant novelty seasoned to taste, rather than something organically and inefficiently evolving - a literal culture - that can continue to serve a meaningful purpose in the years to come.

*while also resulting in a lot of dreadful shite. this is fine and normal

grobbo fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
If AI does scupper most jobs I look forward to the government running a campaign to get people into jobs that can't be done by computers.

John's next job could be in ballet. (He just doesn't know it yet.)