Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The System Shock remake is 50% off on Steam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Convex posted:

The System Shock remake is 50% off on Steam!

https://youtu.be/f-pgcX9yTGM?si=TrtU-ojH62vY38DO

Monty Zander just released a critique of it, good timing on his part. I've not played that far through it myself but I liked what I played.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
A two hour long video critique. Surely you can just play the game on Steam for two hours to make up your own mind? It's not as if it's one of those games that takes 10+ hours before you get to the bottom of it to discover it's poo poo or anything, the back half is very much following what the first bit did.
edit:

Serephina fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 27, 2024

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

https://youtu.be/f-pgcX9yTGM?si=TrtU-ojH62vY38DO

Monty Zander just released a critique of it, good timing on his part. I've not played that far through it myself but I liked what I played.

There's a big patch coming in the near future as well. Incredible game and price tbh

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Convex posted:

There's a big patch coming in the near future as well. Incredible game and price tbh

Any notes about that patch? I'm really tempted on picking it up so I can finally start the series properly (I tried System Shock 2 years ago but got distracted).

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Any notes about that patch? I'm really tempted on picking it up so I can finally start the series properly (I tried System Shock 2 years ago but got distracted).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3891664

quote:

ANNOUNCEMENT #2: Where is Patch 1.2?

You’re right, from our last update, patch 1.2 didn’t actually get pushed out. This is because we wanted absolute feature parity with the console versions. What this effectively means is that our players on PC will be getting the best version of the game, and will enjoy the same experience as our console friends. The PC patch is slated to go live early in 2024.

So including the patch notes found in the last update (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3875483) we can add this list to the total patch list that are incoming:

*Warning Story Spoilers Ahead*

Major

============

Female Hacker added as a playable character — Select the Hacker’s appearance from the New Game Configuration screen.
Reworked the entire final fight with new mechanics and a unique flow
Major optimizations across the entire game — Steam Deck users rejoice!
Alpha Strain enemies have a new attack
Avian Mutant enemies have a new attack
Cyborg Diego has new movement options
Some first person Hacker animations have been corrected
Continued refining enemy AI and behaviors
General combat and speed balance adjustments across enemies and weapons
Credits added to the Title Screen
Better Gamepad handling and implementation
Achievements are properly awarded when completing the requirements

Minor

============

Easier to see total counts of collected Media items
Added a button to the entrance of the Security level to ensure you can backtrack to the rest of the Station
General FX improvements and tweaks
New artwork on monitors across Citadel Station
Enemy callouts and vocals are less frequent now
Better text sizing for all languages
Jump Jet behavior improved
The color of some projectiles were tweaked
Sped up animations of using Dermal Patches
Enemies who are near Restoration Bays will be teleported to their spawn location to ensure the Hacker doesn’t get softlocked by being killed repeatedly.
Save files are now counted incrementally.
Fix ups of various Cyberspace levels and enemy placements within
Better handling of Hacker death in unlikely scenarios
Tons of other smaller bug fixes.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Get it while it's on sale and then wait for the new patch to drop. Not that the game is currently broken or not worth your time at this very moment, but those additions are gonna make it better, especially the revamped final confrontation (and lady hacker :allears: )

Edit: I would like to clarify that even on launch I thought the game was loving awesome and one of the best remakes ever.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 27, 2024

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Yeah the launch version definitely wasn't bad by any stretch. The final boss battle was super anti climactic tho.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Delta Particles was a pretty good Half-Life mod. Nothing spectacular, but some good ideas, solid gameplay, and the arsenal was pretty fun to use. However, once it hit Xen, the quality took a pretty steep dive (as is the case with anything related to Xen). It pretty much turned into a bad Doom WAD with enemies constantly teleporting in, and heavy use of stuff like the flying brainlets that were a pain to hit. Still, I'd recommend a playthrough. And if I want to play around with Half-Life's arsenal there's always the Lambda mod for Doom.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Serephina posted:

A two hour long video critique. Surely you can just play the game on Steam for two hours to make up your own mind? It's not as if it's one of those games that takes 10+ hours before you get to the bottom of it to discover it's poo poo or anything, the back half is very much following what the first bit did.
edit:

It's not a review. It goes into things like the themes of the game, tangents on things like transhumanism, its history and development, behind the scenes stuff, etc. It's really not a video you'd watch to see if you want to buy a game, it's one you watch after you play the poo poo out of one.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 27, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's not a review, it's a critique. It goes into things like the themes of the game, its history and development, etc. It's really not a video you'd watch to see if you want to buy a game, it's one you watch after you play the poo poo out of one.

Yeah this. There's a plot summary and opinions of mechanics in there but woven around the central thesis of what the game has to say about transhumanism.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
When I'm in charge, every video essayist will be rounded up and put in jail.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Here on PRISON EARTH, where everyone is a sicko video essayist or reaction artist,

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Serephina posted:

edit:

not all video game videos are about convincing you to buy something or not. Many people love engaging with their chosen hobby on a level beyond consumerism, and talking about the themes a game's presents and how they relate to its mechanics, other games around them and wider human history and culture is part of that. They're the equivalent of a jon bois video about a sporting event.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

Inshallah

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
If you don't use the Guard Dog character model in Dusk multiplayer you are a fool

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mordja posted:

That's what happened to civvie

verbal enema posted:

If you don't use the Guard Dog character model in Dusk multiplayer you are a fool

I use the wendigo actually

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The System Shock remake is incredible and I'm jealous of anyone who hasn't played it yet.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Found out today from Twitter that there's not only a sequel to the Citadel but also a demo for it so I'm looking forward to another round of weird posting about it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Groovelord Neato posted:

The System Shock remake is incredible and I'm jealous of anyone who hasn't played it yet.

The demo runs like a slideshow due to modern Unreal Engine not liking how proton/WINE works on my system. It's upsetting, as if I tank the settings enough (and reboot when the fps goes single-digit) I can experience Medical in a stamp-sized window, and it's so loving good that it's killing me arggh

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Serephina posted:

The demo runs like a slideshow due to modern Unreal Engine not liking how proton/WINE works on my system. It's upsetting, as if I tank the settings enough (and reboot when the fps goes single-digit) I can experience Medical in a stamp-sized window, and it's so loving good that it's killing me arggh

I'm surprised to hear that honestly, i played 5-6 hours of it on Steam Deck and was staggered by how well it ran.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Oh man, I ctrl-f the last few pages and saw no one type "Graven".

So...has anyone tried it out since it hit 1.0? It's been sitting on my wishlist for years now, but the reviews on Steam seem pretty mixed.

Did they just kick it out the door and say "1.0"! because of how long it was taking & all the trouble over at 3D Realms/Slipgate Ironworks?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mordja posted:

Thank you, KING

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Oh man, I ctrl-f the last few pages and saw no one type "Graven".

So...has anyone tried it out since it hit 1.0? It's been sitting on my wishlist for years now, but the reviews on Steam seem pretty mixed.

Did they just kick it out the door and say "1.0"! because of how long it was taking & all the trouble over at 3D Realms/Slipgate Ironworks?

Sounds like it was just kicked out the door and that'll be it. Steam reviews are awful for it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Voodoo Cafe posted:

I'm surprised to hear that honestly, i played 5-6 hours of it on Steam Deck and was staggered by how well it ran.

It's absolutely a 'me' problem. Well, me and like two other guys on the internet. Something is just not quite right with my hardware/driver/software setup, and/or proton is really niggly and doesn't like installing newer versions of itself without an OS wipe. As a result UE games are a performance mess, while Unity3d is totally unusable - like .3fps in a 640x480 window. Year of Linux Gaming and all that, just some of us got left behind.

It's actually kinda funny, as it makes gaming easier in certain regards - a lot of titles simply don't work, so my genre selections can get pretty narrow and purchasing decisions are made for me, lol.

---

Edit: Yea Graven is weird. It's been on my wishlist, but I can't really remember how I mentally classified it. It's not 'Deux Ex' - that's Core Decay. It's not 'Thief' - that's GloomWood. Was it 'UltimaUnderworld / Arx Fatalis'? Was it that at some point and it just migrated slightly, or am I thinking of some other title? So I'm looking at it now with a kind of puzzled expression.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 28, 2024

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Serephina posted:

Edit: Yea Graven is weird. It's been on my wishlist, but I can't really remember how I mentally classified it. It's not 'Deux Ex' - that's Core Decay. It's not 'Thief' - that's GloomWood. Was it 'UltimaUnderworld / Arx Fatalis'? Was it that at some point and it just migrated slightly, or am I thinking of some other title? So I'm looking at it now with a kind of puzzled expression.

Heretic, plus some Heretic 2 I think.

It's a shame to hear about it, I was really hoping it'd be good.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I've only played an hour or so of Graven since 1.0, but it seems fine. I like the feel and look of it. There's definitely signs that it could have done with longer in the oven; the main thing that stuck out to me was exploding barrels being completely silent.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I keep getting graven and gloomhaven and gloomwood mixed up

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

UnknownMercenary posted:

Found out today from Twitter that there's not only a sequel to the Citadel but also a demo for it so I'm looking forward to another round of weird posting about it.

Hopefully there's more story in the sequel. I want to know more about that weirdass world.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cheers thank you!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

UnknownMercenary posted:

I liked the Citadel until the dev started posting Shota on their twitter and then I was all the way out

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
goddamn turbo overkill fuckin rips :hellyeah:

just finished episode 1! glad I played doom eternal first as this game is a fundamental improvement on that gameplay style imo

:hmmyes:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't think TO feels like Doom Eternal much at all which isn't a bad thing because you don't want your games to all feel the same so that in 5 years time we're all pining for call of duty 46. That's something I can say for the whole throwback genre, the best games feel pretty different from one another even if they're all gravitating from the same templates

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't think TO feels like Doom Eternal much at all which isn't a bad thing because you don't want your games to all feel the same so that in 5 years time we're all pining for call of duty 46. That's something I can say for the whole throwback genre, the best games feel pretty different from one another even if they're all gravitating from the same templates

Specifically, the moveset (ie having two dodges which recharge, a double jump, the chainsaw as an 'aaaaaahhh gently caress this' option, the ladders and platforming) reminds me of doom eternal, as well as the enormous scale of the level design, which I also felt D:E did well at.

I love the aesthetics and sound design of both games. Both love throwing loads of enemies at you, but I don't feel restricted to a particular intended approach in TO which bugged me about D:E with its low ammo limits. Also you don't have to do lots of short cutscenes for chainsaw/melee kills which got excessive and annoying in D:E.

Also Turbo Overkill is almost entirely made by one person and that blows my mind

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I completely forgot Half-Life MMod was a thing until I just checked my Steam store page. Honestly, between that, Quake II, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar Redux and classic Doom I'm set for all my FPS needs for a while.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I keep telling myself this, and then there's a super secret I managed to miss that's like an entire hidden level.

Playing Dwell for quake rn and there's a particularly harshly hidden secret level in the first episode that requires you not to have used the gold key on the normal exit door, I had to restart the whole level when I realized.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Spent money on SS-Remake. Runs terribly for me, but is playable and great fun.

-Interesting choice to backport Recycling crap off of the floor. (You apparently woke up naked with a portable recycler smuggled up yer bum, too.) It's added a small bit of tedium to the game, but I think its worth it for the amount of medpatches you can buy - takes a lot of the phobia of using my consumables away. Ammo's not repeatably purchasable, which is interesting.
-THERE IS A JOKE CHEMICAL CLOSET, I LOVE IT. Also a few other distinctly SS2 doodads got backported
-As per the first point, the consumable balance feels good.
-I have no idea why they rearranged bits of Medical away from the classic layout, which they already had in the demo. What's the benefit of the tweaks?
-When searching for absolutely anything about the game, the amount of crap that these faux gaming sites (IGN etc) poo poo out is astounding. Like a few years ago all you'd get are very beautifully curated guides and lots of nerd talk of weapon companions. Now the first page of hits are all fake articles parroting the ingame UI back at you. I just wanted to know the energy-shield-implant numbers, gently caress me man.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Stupid loving AI generated articles makes me want to ignite a Butlerian Jihad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serephina posted:

Spent money on SS-Remake. Runs terribly for me, but is playable and great fun.

-Interesting choice to backport Recycling crap off of the floor. (You apparently woke up naked with a portable recycler smuggled up yer bum, too.) It's added a small bit of tedium to the game, but I think its worth it for the amount of medpatches you can buy - takes a lot of the phobia of using my consumables away. Ammo's not repeatably purchasable, which is interesting.
-THERE IS A JOKE CHEMICAL CLOSET, I LOVE IT. Also a few other distinctly SS2 doodads got backported
-As per the first point, the consumable balance feels good.
-I have no idea why they rearranged bits of Medical away from the classic layout, which they already had in the demo. What's the benefit of the tweaks?
-When searching for absolutely anything about the game, the amount of crap that these faux gaming sites (IGN etc) poo poo out is astounding. Like a few years ago all you'd get are very beautifully curated guides and lots of nerd talk of weapon companions. Now the first page of hits are all fake articles parroting the ingame UI back at you. I just wanted to know the energy-shield-implant numbers, gently caress me man.

The last one is AI generated articles. Nobody knows poo poo and are all using the same source to make content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Everything about Turbo Overkill makes me feel like I should absolutely love it but the awful sound mixing and the big open levels that you can fall off of and have to climb all the way back up just put me off of it real bad.

My sense of direction is trash so there being no map to use is a big hindrance! :negative: