Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

\The fact that it overtook Spy x Family's already impressive first day is honestly kind of amazing. SEEDmentum certainly doesn't seem to have died down.

What I'm curious about is if it's going to be more frontloaded than Spy. It seems plausible for things to play out that way, since SEED is appealing to a more hardcore audience while Spy X Family is a whole family thing, but SEED more than doubling Hathaway's already impressive- opening day suggests that it's tapping into a pretty wide enthusiasm.

Of course, at this point, the question is mostly academic. FREEDOM's great opening and word of mouth means that its legacy is secure, getting it (at minimum) the highest Gundam box office since the original trilogy, and quite possibly the highest box office Gundam's ever had.

I'd read plenty about how big SEED was at its height, but it's one thing to just hear about it in retrospect. Another to see it as it's happening. (It also seems like the film goes back to flawed, limited, but driven Kira instead of invincible superman Kira, so that's nice.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Seemlar posted:

Pretty funny reading "haha sounds so bad, can't wait to watch it ironically!" posts

Yeah that's why Japanese twitter has been gushing about how much they liked the movie for two days

Japanese and western audiences have been divided on SEED's main plot for a long time now. None of this is new.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

What I'm curious about is if it's going to be more frontloaded than Spy. It seems plausible for things to play out that way, since SEED is appealing to a more hardcore audience while Spy X Family is a whole family thing, but SEED more than doubling Hathaway's already impressive- opening day suggests that it's tapping into a pretty wide enthusiasm.

Of course, at this point, the question is mostly academic. FREEDOM's great opening and word of mouth means that its legacy is secure, getting it (at minimum) the highest Gundam box office since the original trilogy, and quite possibly the highest box office Gundam's ever had.

I'd read plenty about how big SEED was at its height, but it's one thing to just hear about it in retrospect. Another to see it as it's happening. (It also seems like the film goes back to flawed, limited, but driven Kira instead of invincible superman Kira, so that's nice.)

The plot boiling down to "Kira feels worthless and like the only thing he is good at is fighting, but fighting doesn't actually seem to be solving the problem and he feels like being an extremely efficient killing machine means he has nothing to offer to Lacus as a person, while also feeling like he needs her support" is honestly more than I expected them to go into his character, so that's good for him.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Seed popularity in Japan felt like it faded after Destiny and it felt like it wasn't at the level of the popular Gundam's but the time between Destiny and Freedom and the movie being a bit closer to Seed's strengths is probably helping here

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Seed popularity in Japan felt like it faded after Destiny and it felt like it wasn't at the level of the popular Gundam's but the time between Destiny and Freedom and the movie being a bit closer to Seed's strengths is probably helping here

SEED's popularity faded in that there wasn't new SEED material for a long time, but the characters (or at least Kira/Lacus/Athrun) remained absurdly popular for a long time past their prime. You could see this kind of stuff in video games where Amuro and Kira were always the two put on 'equal billing' with whoever the newest entry in the franchise was.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Warmachine posted:

Japanese and western audiences have been divided on SEED's main plot for a long time now. None of this is new.

Destiny ultimately sold more than the original SEED despite its bad reputation in the West, so the news that SEED Freedom was being well received is unsurprising.

Even after reading the spoilers and their rather insane bits, the movie is probably still better than Destiny in purely technical terms. I wouldn't have expected much more than that.

Let SEED fans have their day, that is my stance.

wielder fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 28, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Let SEED have its day if it means financial success that gets other Gundam series made. But I'll still laugh at it because woof the movie sounds like a hot mess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not super excited about it but I have to admit that going over forums looking for info and seeing the just sort of raw joy and happiness from SEED fans makes it hard for me to not be happy for them. I don't get it, but it is apparently the movie people really wanted (and this is on a lot of English-speaking forums, let alone Japan) and so it's hard to get upset about that.

Like people who like Kira and Lacus or Athrun and Cagalli or Shin and Lunamaria just seem immensely pleased so :shrug: I admit Lunamaria getting to complete her plot arc of "actually becomes very accurate" does make me smile.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
If anything, Bandai has to be pretty thrilled that they had Witch from Mercury and now Seed Freedom be back-to-back hits in a lot of ways, it’s a drat good sign for Gundam overall

MechaX fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 28, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Can't wait for Requiem to be a hit too despite everything

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Seed to normies is like how the internet reacted to Avatar 2 and ask "who is for this" before normies payed with their wallet

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SEED was my entry to Gundam so ill check it out but years later its all very mediocre vs original UC

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

Seed to normies is like how the internet reacted to Avatar 2 and ask "who is for this" before normies payed with their wallet

Nah. SEED has a big pop culture footprint, even when people hate it. Avatar is more of a ghost that pops out of nowhere, makes billions at the box office, and then it vanishes without the merch selling.

Different profiles.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Seed has better writing than anything Cameron ever wrote

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

He still wrote Aliens and T2, so this is false

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MechaX posted:

He still wrote Aliens and T2, so this is false

He was only one of the writers on T2, so it's entirely possible everything he wrote was garbage and got tentpoled by the other guy.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Alright shut it down we are done here.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Anime fans will say anything, huh?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
James Cameron's Abyss was good enough to be mentioned in Bravern so it's good, sans trying to drown Ed Harris.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i can't believe Gaius Marius posted a dismissive opinion that is moderately incendiary

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

He wrote (along with others) Strange Days!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, something I'll say for FREEDOM?

It resolves an issue I've had with SEED from near the start.

SEED has always had a weird conflict between horny, horny visuals and chaste relationships, especially Kira and Lacus.

This film, meanwhile, is just as horny, if not hornier, but it also puts it in context that makes sense. That is, there's lots of horny imagery around characters because those characters want to have sex. It all fits together into a coherent whole, rather than forming an awkward contrast.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

One gimmick the villains have that I do like is just basically a turret that launches thousands of small rounded spears designed explicitly to overwhelm and overload anything that has phase shift armor, even nuclear powered units because it pushes the energy drain past the point where the reactor can keep up. Not necessarily super logical but it's nice to see a specific anti-PS weapon.

Double edit: Lol, Ramias has an emergency escape pod installed in the Archangel's bridge specifically for the 'someone flies up to the bridge and aims a gun right at it' moment.

I see that Ramius has followed in Unicorn Brught's footsteps as the genre aware captain.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
seed leaned into being garish and ugly and stupid in a way that only people in the early 2000s could fully understand

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1752168585085239696?t=XwSzR9OhkkisjN0kLBr2ww&s=19

Look at dat purple.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Which demon is that?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Darth Walrus posted:

Which demon is that?

That's the Schwarzette from WfM, except it's Neon Purple according to the tweet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Huh, that pic makes it look very much like the IBO Gundam Frames.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean it does have some demonic elements with the legs and hoofs looking like a goat's ala Baphomet.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I mean, it's an Ippei Gyoubu design.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 30, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God I forgot how much I like the Mack Knife.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unrelated but this translated description of the Proud Defender makes me laugh at how over the top it gets

quote:

MDE262S PROUD DEFENDER (Mighty Strike Freedom Gundam backpack)

A new wing developed by Kira and the Compass development section, led by Albert. It is equipped with the actual sword "Futsunomitama" wielded by Strike Freedom Type 2, in addition to spewing infinite amounts of nanoparticles and high-voltage lightning controlled by the mind.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish it was the one that looked like an X-Wing in flight mode. Spewing Force Lightning would work better with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quick question:

Which of this is NOT a Gundam.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Quick question:

Which of this is NOT a Gundam.

Look, the poor Huckebein tries, all right? No need to get hurtful here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Papy_Channel/status/1752322554398974294?t=CuDDhi9b_XdXQaaLLDq5tg&s=19

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I remember when SRW 2nd OG (I think) made a big deal about blowing up every Huckebein and some people on old forums thought “looks like sunrise is finally suing banpresto!” (I do not believe this was accurate at all)

But then someone gets a Super Huckebein-like mech, everything is under the Bandai umbrella now, and Huckebeins are just back and no one explains why it looks so much like a gundam even in game lmfao

It was a very interesting to watch the story of this legally-distinct gundam over the years

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When Katoki draws something it always looks like a Gundam.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Playing SRW-T I did wish that those knock off gundams showed up for more than a random mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The correct answer:

You fools.

The correct answer is that it is a Gundam if I say it is a Gundam.