Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

This sounds pretty familiar. They will generally sleep/ignore each other, can eat near each other (treats or wet food, he eats dry food too fast for us to feed them that together), etc... and there's only an occasional hiss and slowly backing off. But it's specifically his behavior wanting to play with her, starting with running directly at her or jumping on her from behind that kicks things off.

fwiw this was exactly the behavior we saw as well. Even playing was fine so long as it went slow and wasn't too rough, but once and awhile Pavarotti would get too excited and run over and full on tackle Sage, or Sage would push him a little too hard in a wrestle and Pavarotti would decide to show Sage how to really wrestle and it would get pretty intense.

In our case, they did work it out. It's pretty funny watching them because Pavarotti has seemingly learned how to play better so they do the world's slowest wrestling, and when there's a chase generally it's they chase each other to one end, then there's a pause, then they swap roles and chase back the way they came. Periodically Pavarotti will get a little too intense for our dumb orange boy and there's some hissing and bad cat noises but it usually ends there. The one a few weeks back was a bit of an exception, and once they both calmed down it was totally fine again.

Always hard to say though, but it's definitely worth a little more time I think so long as no one is really getting hurt

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Holy poo poo thanks for your advice, they got my girl into surgery ASAP because she swallowed something metal. They said it's luckily just chilling in her stomach and not her intestines so she should be out tonight or tomorrow! I'm worried as hell but they're working on her right now so I'm sitting tight

So glad you were able to get her in right away! As soon as you mentioned eating changes like that my first thought was get to a vet ASAP and thank goodness you did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yeah this is the difficult question. She's generally OK, but she's no longer playful at all unless he's locked away. She used to actually love me to chase her around (she'd run around a bit and then lead me to her brush), and would chirp at me all the time when she wanted to play. All that behavior has completely stopped, which is upsetting. She'll tolerate me brushing her, and will occasionally play with a toy sort of halfheartedly, that's it. When he's locked away for the night I open the bedroom she and I sleep in, and she's very relaxed/comfortable on the bed in there. But there's no way to really give her a safe space during the day where she can get away from him, other than manually putting one of them in a bedroom and trapping them in there.

This sounds pretty familiar. They will generally sleep/ignore each other, can eat near each other (treats or wet food, he eats dry food too fast for us to feed them that together), etc... and there's only an occasional hiss and slowly backing off. But it's specifically his behavior wanting to play with her, starting with running directly at her or jumping on her from behind that kicks things off.

So she's still doing all her normal behaviours just with less enthusiasm than normal? That's like, amazing for one month in to a stranger invading her home. I really think you're way too worried about this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've had 2 cats stop eating and change personality suddenly. One of them turned out to be very, very sick with bleeding in his intensities and needed to be put down. I really wish we had taken him in sooner instead of ignoring the signs.

Yeah. It sucks, hard, and needs immediate attention.

quote:

Anyway, yeah, if your cat stops eating and/or suddenly changes its personality, get to the vet ASAP.

Quod erat demonstrandum. Lieutenant Dan, I’m glad they got to help her in time.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 24, 2024

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Thank you all again SO MUCH, I'm so glad I got her checked out!! She's back home now and zonked out but perfectly happy and healing great :3: everyone say Hi to the bravest little warrior

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hello dumbass, we’re glad you’re okay :cabot:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What kind of procedure was it to get the metal out? Are they able to bring it back up through the throat? Or cut into the stomach?

Hope I never have to go through with that but I am curious what they're able to do for that stuff.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

xzzy posted:

What kind of procedure was it to get the metal out? Are they able to bring it back up through the throat? Or cut into the stomach?

Hope I never have to go through with that but I am curious what they're able to do for that stuff.

Basically they gave me two options, either bring it up by the throat (but I was worried the metal might be jagged) or do an incision on her stomach to get it out, luckily it was super clear on the x-ray so they were able to get in and out incision-wise no problem. They gave her IV hydration and she's gotta have 3 different kinds of medicine for the next 10 days, but basically I'm just making sure there's no complications (especially about 3-5 days from now!)

Also, turns out the metal object she ate was an entire dime, which I'm kicking myself for somehow not noticing (when did my cat eat a whole entire coin?!), so let this be a PSA if you have any scrooge mcduck-esque cats of your own :shobon:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I think you have a maneki neko.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Thank you all again SO MUCH, I'm so glad I got her checked out!! She's back home now and zonked out but perfectly happy and healing great :3: everyone say Hi to the bravest little warrior

Awwww, so glad she's back home and healthy! :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Basically they gave me two options, either bring it up by the throat (but I was worried the metal might be jagged) or do an incision on her stomach to get it out, luckily it was super clear on the x-ray so they were able to get in and out incision-wise no problem. They gave her IV hydration and she's gotta have 3 different kinds of medicine for the next 10 days, but basically I'm just making sure there's no complications (especially about 3-5 days from now!)

Also, turns out the metal object she ate was an entire dime, which I'm kicking myself for somehow not noticing (when did my cat eat a whole entire coin?!), so let this be a PSA if you have any scrooge mcduck-esque cats of your own :shobon:

You probably need to periodically pick her up and, gently, shake her to see if she jingles with loose change :v:.

Glad your little gremlin is okay and healing :unsmith:.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

take her to the beach and let her find rare metals and coins for you

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Is there an easy way to repair/replace the rope part of a vertical scratcher? The cats have ripped off the rope from the top part of the scratcher which is their favorite part. They're starting to rip up the post itself now.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

pairofdimes posted:

Is there an easy way to repair/replace the rope part of a vertical scratcher? The cats have ripped off the rope from the top part of the scratcher which is their favorite part. They're starting to rip up the post itself now.

Hot glue it back on. If the rope itself is gone, buy some more at Home Depot.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Forgot the photo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Deteriorata posted:

Hot glue it back on. If the rope itself is gone, buy some more at Home Depot.

Thanks, I guess that hot-glue gun I bought and used once will come in handy once more.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I'm moving to a smaller apartment with only one bathroom so I think we are going to have to put the litterbox in part of the living room :w00t: I am now giving actual thought to the litter robot. Worth it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

I'm moving to a smaller apartment with only one bathroom so I think we are going to have to put the litterbox in part of the living room :w00t: I am now giving actual thought to the litter robot. Worth it?

What's your monthly income etc, hard to say if something is worth it for someone else. I have one and would buy another immediately if it broke. If it was in my living room I would get a divider kinda thing or some bigger cat safe plants so it's not something your eye goes to as you enter the room.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

VelociBacon posted:

What's your monthly income etc, hard to say if something is worth it for someone else. I have one and would buy another immediately if it broke. If it was in my living room I would get a divider kinda thing or some bigger cat safe plants so it's not something your eye goes to as you enter the room.
I make less than the median income in my area. one of the factors in my mind though is that the base price is at least 80% of the amount we would probably pay every month for a place with a second bathroom.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pairofdimes posted:

Thanks, I guess that hot-glue gun I bought and used once will come in handy once more.

Also if you want to replace that rope, you can get 100 feet of sisal rope from home depot for like $15.

I attach with a staple gun but I guess a glue gun works too.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

mawarannahr posted:

If you have to have the litterbox out in the open, yeah, a litter robot is a very worthwhile investment.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

Worth it. Also since it's front facing and enclosed, that makes it really easy to hide as part of the furniture.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I don’t want to argue one way or another but I do want to post a dissenting opinion on it being a no-brainer purchase you should stretch your budget to reach.

We have our wide open, non-automatic litter boxes all in plain sight living spaces and no one can stop me. :sickos: Both pine and walnut litter do a great job with controlling smell. We vacuum and scoop frequently so there’s nothing gross to look at. I care less about aesthetics than I do about cleanliness, and I won’t risk our cats being scared of an expensive purchase and not using it.

No one should feel like not buying this is a “worse” option, it feels like a choice that has to be based a lot on personal circumstances and preferences of you and your cat(s). I’m the wrong person to answer since I don’t own one, but what problem are you hoping it would solve?

For whatever it’s worth to those of you who put stock in Jackson Galaxy’s opinion as a cat behaviourist, he straight up recommends against it. Vet opinions I’ve seen are split. If you have one and it’s working for you and your cats then great IMO, I’m not here to convince anyone to stop using one. But I don’t think it’s so cut and dried as the clear winner everyone should strive for.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You're right, if you don't have one you don't know how good they are. I do and for that situation, I think it's worth it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

No I think it's a valid point that if you're stretching your budget for one it's probably not worth it. It's something that benefits the owners and not really the cat, I would argue. This person is probably not entertaining distinguished guests in that living room.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

VelociBacon posted:

No I think it's a valid point that if you're stretching your budget for one it's probably not worth it. It's something that benefits the owners and not really the cat, I would argue. This person is probably not entertaining distinguished guests in that living room.

You never know, it is an election year after all

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

rofl

I mean I could be off here too, if the question is as simple as “does the litter robot work as well as advertised” it sounds like a resounding yes!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

VelociBacon posted:

This person is probably not entertaining distinguished guests in that living room.
Maybe true, but still unkind for you to say about your mom

Coolness Averted posted:

You never know, it is an election year after all

lol

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I have a thing that looks like a chest/bench and has an opening in the side and the top is actually a hinged lid, and inside is the litter tray. It just looks like a piece of furniture and people have literally sat on it without knowing it’s a litter box. I scoop it every day (we’ll every other day now that I have a second box), but it was right by the kitchen table for a while and it blends in perfectly. Not as cool as the robot, but a fraction of the price (about 175) and better camouflage.

Not my pic but it basically looks like this except the door is offset from another door on the inside to increase privacy and also force the cat to take a couple extra steps, which helps shake off litter stuck to their paws.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Litter robot works as well as advertised. For multi-cat, it means every one of the fuzzy jerks gets a clean place to take a dump every time. For the human, it means you're never scooping and don't need to worry about torn bags.

When acclimating my cats, they learned to queue up to use it and/or receive treats afterwards.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I built a little cubby for my main litter box and it rolls out from under the booze shelf for cleaning. The secondary litter box is in a side closet and is just a normal litter box. The robot ones ive seen demand a lot more space and in a form factor that integrates with literally nothing else, all dead space. I dont like them much aesthetically as a result.

My problem is that any litter box anywhere will make a massive mess, because my cats want it it to, and I dont know how to fix that part. Seriously right now they are dragging it out through miltiple flaps.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 28, 2024

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

kaom posted:

rofl

I mean I could be off here too, if the question is as simple as “does the litter robot work as well as advertised” it sounds like a resounding yes!

Yeah, the question was just space, not budget.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I have a litter robot and it’s great but my cats tear up the liner inside about one time per month

So once warranty runs out it’ll be more expensive than just a one time purchase

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Have two litter robots (5 cats) and a tray for the one cat who refuses to use a robot because well he's got issues, works fantastic except for the one older cat who will poop on the little step on the front sometimes because she will get her front half in and forget to keep going.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Cat training question:

I have been training mine for a bit now, and its going pretty well. They know some basics - they know their individual names, they know getting up onto and down off of things, spinning, and getting onto my shoulders - basically the commands that can easily by done as target commands.

I still want to keep reinforcing those for a bit, but I'm also looking forward to moving on to some more complex commands and have a few questions, if anyone has pointers.

When should I start reducing the frequency of food rewards, and should it only be for firmly known commands or should it be for all commands at the same time? The sooner I do it the longer they will stay motivated, I figure, since they are done with training after three or four full treats (I currently break them into quarters)

How the hell do you actually teach a cat to "stay"? For target commands, you click as soon as they do it, but obviously for extended commands that wont work.

How can I best encourage "promptness" even outside training sessions? Some of the commands, like the shoulder command, I really need them to do quickly since theres usually a pressing reason for it. So far my plan of "switch to training the other cat if one stops responding in a timely manner" has been working pretty well, and obviously there is going to be a cap on the speed and realiability here since they are cats, but advice on improvement in both areas would still be appreciated.

Edit: I know the absolute best thing I could do is probably to switch to scheduled feedings instead of food always being out but I am absolutely never going to be able to do that, I cant even feed myself on a set schedule

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 28, 2024

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'll be interested to see if anyone has answers for you. I tried to clicker train one of my cats, but all progress with him dissappears when the treats go away.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Offer another reward e.g., praise. Do this at the start of the training session, escalating to treats at the end so they’re motivated to keep going for that bigger reward. I’d just phase it in very gradually, like maybe one trick without a treat to start if they’re used to getting it every time.

I have no good ideas on “stay” or promptness though. It’s amazing how many tricks your cats already know, we’re still working on our basics! (This is because we’re bad at doing it frequently, not because our cats aren’t game.)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Anyone tried this?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I dated someone whose family did that a long time ago. It works, but two big flaws: cats gently caress up toilet seats with their claws and would also sometimes miss and make a mess of the seat. So unless like you have a bathroom to dedicate to it and/or uniquely hate cleaning cat boxes but are okay cleaning cat waste off of your bathroom floor and toilet I don't see a big benefit.

On the topic of litterboxes and cats having quirks, I had a covered box a while ago, complete with a little staircase to collect sand, and one of my cats would just poo poo on the staircase and refused to enter the enclosed space, so we eventually removed the lid and had a weird form factor litterbox with a side staircase the cats wouldn't use.

I also still have a big dummy who insists on putting his paws on the rim of whatever box he uses and peeing on the side of the box. Normally that's fine. However, it means any box needs more than his weight in sand lest he tip it over and if he ever scoots enough sand towards the side he's deciding to pee on he might stand at an angle where he's pissing out the box.
It also meant that when I kept the small box I got for my new kitten in the bathroom the kitten lived in for his first week at my house, I got to come down one morning to find my large adult son catapulted the litterbox across the bathroom floor and then pissed on the floor.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So glad I wasted hundreds of dollars on a Litter Robot. Of my two cats, one is afraid of everything so won't use it. It got to the point where she poo poo and pissed in the bedroom rather than use it. So we brought out the older litter box. Now the other cat, that was using the Litter Robot fine, is using the older litter box so the Robot goes unused. loving awesome.

JuSt TrAiN yOuR cAtS bY rEwArDiNg GoOd BeHaViOr!

Yeah but how the gently caress do you get them to do the good thing in the first place?

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Our scaredy boy uses the litter robot just fine, but he also learned to watch it rotating from our senior girl that he grew up with so maybe that helped?

Out of curiosity, did the scaredy cat use it if you left it off? Maybe getting used to it not moving and just manually running it when they're not around would help?