Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

just hire Dan Quinn dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
We have to win now. We must.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

AndrewP posted:

just hire Dan Quinn dammit

No

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

c'monnnnn

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/RapSheet/status/1751416747767349398?s=20

Great hire

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i was hoping zac taylor could get zac robinson but zac robinson is probably better than zac taylor and might dislike him and find him annoying

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cavauro posted:

i was hoping zac taylor could get zac robinson but zac robinson is probably better than zac taylor and might dislike him and find him annoying

zac is BY FAR the worst way to spell that name

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I don't want to see Brandon Staley get a job as a coordinator this year and I'm happy the Packers weren't dumb enough to do that.

Oh wait. He can take the Cowboys job if Quinn leaves. I need a good laugh this offseason.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mcmagic posted:

zac is BY FAR the worst way to spell that name

it's short for zacian. "zakk" is the worst way. it's made up

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

I hear that because of the timing of Pete "stepping back" NFL rules gave the team a very short window to request an interview of MacDonald. I guess since it's just them and Washington left they can slow walk this and get their pick of candidates. I wonder if they'll wait until after the Super Bowl.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Allen trust gonna drop da bank truck up to Ben Johnson - I feel it in these old bones

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I thought Johnson was basically a lock for the Commanders. If the Lions and Ravens both win we could be waiting for a while.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
If Washington isn't still interviewing hell even if they are it feels like Johnson has the commies job

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

shirts and skins posted:

I thought Johnson was basically a lock for the Commanders. If the Lions and Ravens both win we could be waiting for a while.

You are correct. Almost every piece of reporting believes that BJ to the commanders is a complete lock.

However, through the power of American gumption and sports fan delusion, I feel it in my bones that Johnson will be the next head coach of THE Seattle Seahawks.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sorry but Ben Johnson will continue in his role with the Lions, leading the league in OC compensation by $10mil

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/howardeskin/status/1751440042587754504?s=46

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

there can't be a mcdaniel, mcdaniels, and mcdonald all being in a coaching search, it is really loving me up!!!!!!!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Yeah, Ben Johnson is a lock. He is like -400 to be the next coach. I wonder who he takes as his OC. I think EB is gone.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eagles ending up with Fangio and Moore is one hell of a salvage job

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i was hoping zac taylor could get kellen moore but kellen moore is probably better than zac taylor and might dislike him and find him annoying

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Cavauro posted:

it's short for zacian. "zakk" is the worst way. it's made up

Zacians everywhere but nobody naming their kid Zamazenta anymore

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mina Kimes made a good point that Mike Macdonald is a great fit for Seattle since he's found himself proficient at beating Shanahan and McVay on defense this year..

If Pete gets fired on Black Monday he's probably hired. But since he was let go on Tuesday the window to request the interview closed.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
imo they should hire Dan Quinn now, just to be safe

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I actually think discounting Staley's ability as a defensive coordinator is a bit of a mistake. He was great as DC with the Rams - first overall in points and yards before he got hired away. Sucked a fat one as a head coach, but it's not like he'd be a bad fi for the packers.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

seiferguy posted:

Mina Kimes made a good point that Mike Macdonald is a great fit for Seattle since he's found himself proficient at beating Shanahan and McVay on defense this year..

If Pete gets fired on Black Monday he's probably hired. But since he was let go on Tuesday the window to request the interview closed.

We got torched by McVay and the Rams.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Sure enough:

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1751563319343796557?s=46

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I actually think discounting Staley's ability as a defensive coordinator is a bit of a mistake. He was great as DC with the Rams - first overall in points and yards before he got hired away. Sucked a fat one as a head coach, but it's not like he'd be a bad fi for the packers.
Just have him recreate the magic with prime Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey.

Great defenses have great talent not schemes.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

Just have him recreate the magic with prime Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey.

Great defenses have great talent not schemes.

or both

Ravens defense has talent but they also led the league in sacks without a single true star edge rusher

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 28, 2024

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

AndrewP posted:

or both

Ravens defense has talent but they also led the league in sacks without a single true star edge rusher

Yeah I think a good coordinator can really maximize their talent. I wouldn't characterize Ravens as the most talented defense in the NFL but they play hard, smart, and with discipline.

Or like Morris took a team with a lot of rookies and spare parts and made them look respectable. That's a real skill.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

AndrewP posted:

or both

Some podcast said that the Ravens have also had some of the best injury luck (on defense), which is obviously a huge factor in any team’s success.

I will not be fact checking this podcast, namaste 🙏

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Zacians everywhere but nobody naming their kid Zamazenta anymore

That's more a name for DCs.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

seiferguy posted:

That take has been popping up in the Twitterverse / podcast sphere as a justification for McD and it makes no sense.

First, McD has been Baltimore’s DC for only 2 seasons. In that time he’s played the niners and rams a grand total of 1 time each. That’s not a sample size.

Second, as Kawa notes:

Kawalimus posted:

We got torched by McVay and the Rams.
The Rams scored 31 points against the ravens which was the Rams third best offensive performance of the regular season. That was also the Ravens second worst defensive performance of the regular season.

Third, one of the main reasons that McVay and Shanahan are so freaking good is because they evolve. McVay and Shanahan don’t just stubbornly stick to one approach, they learn and attack weaknesses. Ex/ the shift in personnel usage by McVay and the increase in duo blocking usage. So even if McD has “solved” them now (which he hasn’t) it doesn’t mean he will in the future.

Fourth, just by nature of the NFL, it’s really hard for defenses to be consistently superior to good offenses. So McD doesn’t need to be as good of a DC as Shanahan/McVay are as OC’s, but rather McD would have to be noticeably better to actually have a consistent edge. That seems unlikely.

TLDR;
There’s no substantive evidence that McD would actually shut down two of the best offensive minds in football.

Which is to say nothing of all the other reasons why hiring a defensive head coach is a poopy idea.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

BlindSite posted:

It isn’t exactly uncommon for a lovely head coach to not deliver a particularly good performance on his side of the ball, but I think it’s hard to be fully confidant in Staley because it was just one year as DC.

I do think Staley does get some credit for properly modifying his scheme for talent- guys like Bosa, Donald, and James aren’t perfect fits for that Fangio scheme, and he changed it appropriately. He came up with really good stuff for Jalen Ramsey, too.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Some podcast said that the Ravens have also had some of the best injury luck (on defense), which is obviously a huge factor in any team’s success.

definitely much much better injury luck this year. but they lost Ojabo and then replaced him with... Kyle Van Noy off the couch? who finished third on the team in sacks. like yeah we're lucky he's stayed healthy but still.. it's Kyle Van Noy, anyone could have had him

my current non-researched half-assed defense hypothesis is that by investing heavily in "non-premium" positions - off ball linebacker, safety - they were not as weak in what's usually the soft middle of the field and it forced offenses, particularly Shanahan guys, to work in ways they were less comfortable. that extra beat allows good but not great pass rushers to get home.

also of course they do tons of scheme poo poo - sim pressure, well timed corner blitzes, post-snap rotations and overall it's just a hard defense to play against

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 28, 2024

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah the fact that all the Ravens fans are going "nooooooo!!!" at the news that Seattle wants to interview MacDonald tells me they at least need to take a look haha

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

The niners put up 429 yards against the ravens. If there were not some unpredictable deflections that game could have been different. Still not sold on defensive coach. Back up the brinks truck for johnson

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1751627100757332479?t=rtTLM34Hg2FfYHS85cHu9w&s=19

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/tylerjschoon/status/1751631290309447974?t=t2mSjb_kMuHT4FubO-eTzg&s=19

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1751678680957378705?t=Gp10jZlr_Z1re2zy3LbuzA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

that makes a lot of sense.