Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

How's enshrouded controller support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

lordfrikk posted:

Now that makes me interested - which survival games went through EA, were finished, and were better at the end than before? I think most that are considered good are eternally in EA.

Part answering your question, part PSA: Sons of the Forest is leaving early access on February 22nd and I definitely think it fits the bill.

https://www.ign.com/articles/sons-of-the-forest-to-leave-early-access-and-launch-v10-in-february-2024

I only checked out the first few updates but they've added a ton of good stuff. I'm eager to go back and play it at 1.0, I loved it in EA.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Google Butt posted:

Fine for the limited time that I tried it. Xbox and PS5 pads, iirc the PS5 one didn't show the right buttons though I may be confusing it with one of the other fuckloads of games atm.
It was fine switching between controller and keyboard too.
I eventually changed over to kb/m but more as a preference thing as I find that beyond the actual character based movement/interacting bstuff most games get a bit head-fucky in the menus/tabs/ui etc. That's probably just my decrepit brain though as most others seem to be fine with stuff that bakes my noodle (Diablo 4 on console was a recent problem for me. So many sub menus, tabs, modifiers for me sadly)

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Best part of enshrouded so far is climbing a big rear end mountain in the distance and killing some orcs 12 levels above me and getting a nice level 20 bow as a reward.

Those big beast enemies there are quite easy to kill, and they don't even one-shot you.

Genix
Apr 11, 2008
Will Enshrouded be getting its own thread ?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Google Butt posted:

Works great with my XBox controller. The only quirk I’ve encountered is when building the cursor likes to skip two or three spaces when trying to select the build piece, which is frustrating. Not sure if it’s my controller or the game, but I’ll test it with another when I get home.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

^^ I think that's the game. I find it is, like, dropping things a couple of clicks into the ground if that makes sense.. Not that I've done a great amount of building. I'll have to get a screenshot of my, erm, rudimentary ncp shelter.

Genix posted:

I certainly hope so. I think it has the legs to "deserve" it imo. I'm kind of surprised that it hasn't got one already, I'd been thinking that maybe I was just overly enamoured by the game as it was new and shiny, but it seems to be getting great feedback elsewhere, just a bit more slowly here. Also, gently caress, there's no shortage of new and shiny atm.

I was kind of pleased when the Once Human beta ended after ploughing 200 hours into it in 40odd days, then idk, 3 survival games, as well as a dozen other things all released in one form or another.
I'm definitely not the person to do an OP though lol no

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

RandomBlue posted:

That's Enshrouded.

where's the water, then

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Putting another "very good" vote in for Enshrouded. Me and a buddy started a co-op game yesterday and (5 hours later) I can honestly say it plays REALLY well multiplayer.

Two particular points to highlight:

1. Super early we only had enough resources for one grapple but went exploring. We cleared an entire tower gifting it back and forth when needed as well as sharing supplies.

2. It's probably overlooked, but the ability to see what it is other players are about to mine/build is a HUGE quality of life upgrade. Our initial base got built without the usual "Oh poo poo, you were doing that sorry." nonsense.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Seems like a good year for survival games!

They just announced that Abiotic Factor, the survival game set in (a legally distinct version of) HL1's Black Mesa Facility, will be coming out on May 2nd! Way sooner than anticipated.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Seems like a good year for survival games!

They just announced that Abiotic Factor, the survival game set in (a legally distinct version of) HL1's Black Mesa Facility, will be coming out on May 2nd! Way sooner than anticipated.

Oh hell yeah happy birthday to me

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Genix posted:

I found the discussion in this thread by searching for an Enshrouded thread and was pretty surprised that it doesn't have it's own thread.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

The Locator posted:

I found the discussion in this thread by searching for an Enshrouded thread and was pretty surprised that it doesn't have it's own thread.

Same. Everyone busy playing palworld probably.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The only rough thing about Enshrouded is the sparse nature of waypoints.

I only have two altars, so it's hard to zoom around the map with any real speed, which gets very annoying when you keep dying at the same camp and get spawned 600m away.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Survival Simulation Megathread: How do you joust joist a bear? I'm trying to build a bear base

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

After having the luxury of switching off drop on death in Palworld, I'm hating (repeatedly) losing poo poo when I stumble/slide/squirrel-glide into the "too hot to handle shroud". I really wish it was better marker so could have a chance of avoiding it. Having my stuff land there just a few feet too deep in, so I can't even retrieve it is a real pisser.

Other than that, it's only minor poo poo that is bugging me. Oh and the performance tanking for no reason.
Can see myself switching between this and Palworld for a while when either one bugs me too much with it's rough edges.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

The only rough thing about Enshrouded is the sparse nature of waypoints.

I only have two altars, so it's hard to zoom around the map with any real speed, which gets very annoying when you keep dying at the same camp and get spawned 600m away.

Since altars are only 5 stone, I make one, plop it down near a new exploration area and then when I'm done with that area, I fast travel back to that altar and extinguish it before fast travelling home. Between this and gliding from the super tall towers, I'm finding it pretty quick to get back to my death spots now.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Where can you see the limit on how many flame altars you can build? I upgraded my starter base and it said "now you can build more bases" but I don't see "1/2" anywhere.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, you sold me on Enshrouded.

What games let you build from storage? I first encountered it in Grounded and Palworld has it.

There's not much activity in the 7 Days thread, but I've been playing a no creative mode game and i'm really enjoying it. I figured out wiring and got over my hated of mouse driving. Though I did have to turn on creative mode for 2 reasons; the dog poo poo exchange rate for making seeds, 4 fruit per 1 seed? Wtf is that crap? And also the skill book distribution is really silly. I had a 92 in tools but only 17 in forge, so i just creative moded me some seeds and enough magazines to make forged steel.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 28, 2024

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Anyone played sunkenland? The wife it for both of us and we've had a fun 5 hours or so but it doesn't seem to have too much meat on the bones tbh.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

Where can you see the limit on how many flame altars you can build? I upgraded my starter base and it said "now you can build more bases" but I don't see "1/2" anywhere.

It shows it in the upgrade menu on the flame alter I believe.

Edit: It's shown in the "Strengthen the Flame" screen (screenshot from a YouTube video):

The Locator fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 28, 2024

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
The hardest Enshrouded boss: Not falling into inescapable lava pits while fighting the Elixir Well boss

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Locator posted:

Since altars are only 5 stone, I make one, plop it down near a new exploration area and then when I'm done with that area, I fast travel back to that altar and extinguish it before fast travelling home. Between this and gliding from the super tall towers, I'm finding it pretty quick to get back to my death spots now.

Yeah after I posted I realized that I could drop an additional 6 altars and have been doing so since.
Wish it was a little bit clearer but it's more likely my fault.

I scrapped my house and am remaking it like an ancient Roman estate. Gonna need A LOT of clay, though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
is there any server options? I can't respawn, so i have to quit the game and it always starts me back at my first alter so I need to run back to where i died. I'd like to set it so I don't loose all my stuff when i die.

Okay, not enjoying Enshrouded at all. I hate Survival games that force you to do some long rear end quest to before you can do the sandbox stuff. Why do I have to find an NPC before I can progress? Also the NPC seemed to be behind a bunch of super tough enemies and bees? This is insanely dumb, why would you tell your players to go off and fight enemies before you explained about weapons and armor and all that? It would be like after you learn how to make a axe in conan exiles it tells you to go fight the end of all things. Thats a big spider boss.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 28, 2024

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Are you guys playing in private games? How does progress work between private and public servers?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Google Butt posted:

Are you guys playing in private games? How does progress work between private and public servers?

According to PC Gamer the progress is all server side, if you jump into a friends game the progress won't be there when go somewhere else.

I haven't played online but i made three single player PCs and can confirm that's how it worked there.

Game is great btw; it solves the one big problem Valhiem had, which was the pointlessness of exploring any iteration of a biome once you had visited any example of them. This game has unique points of interest scattered everywhere, unlike Valhiem where "we have black forest biome at home" was a huge deterrent for actually exploring.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

twistedmentat posted:

is there any server options? I can't respawn, so i have to quit the game and it always starts me back at my first alter so I need to run back to where i died. I'd like to set it so I don't loose all my stuff when i die.

Okay, not enjoying Enshrouded at all. I hate Survival games that force you to do some long rear end quest to before you can do the sandbox stuff. Why do I have to find an NPC before I can progress? Also the NPC seemed to be behind a bunch of super tough enemies and bees? This is insanely dumb, why would you tell your players to go off and fight enemies before you explained about weapons and armor and all that? It would be like after you learn how to make a axe in conan exiles it tells you to go fight the end of all things. Thats a big spider boss.

FWIW, I noted that there's a glitch where the respawn key won't show the visible effect of filling up as you hold the respawn key but it actually is filling; hold the key long enough and you will respawn. The respawning back at your base is intentional, although there are respawn shrines in the world, usually near dungeons, which you will respawn at if you activate them before dying. They are the big glowing rock spheres on little shrines; the first Elixir Well the tutorial sends you to has one right at the entrance. Pretty early on you get the ability to place a second flame somewhere, which is another base and respawn point.

The NPCs are just how Enshrouded gates progression, more or less. In terms of difficulty you can grab the Blacksmith right away, the Hunter and Alchemist usually at low levels, and the Farmer after you've been playing for a few hours. The Carpenter is the most difficult one to access and I would probably recommend being able to hang with level 9 enemies without any difficulty before you try. As you play these NPCs will give you quests to visit specific locations and get unique items needed to make new crafting benches and whatnot for better gear.

They leave progression mostly open ended but the idea is that you beeline the Blacksmith immediately, which lets you get a basic armor set and some basic weapons. Progression then becomes grabbing metal shards to get those things, and then you push out to get the alchemist and hunter and start working on what they offer. In general, if you're geared up and play carefully it's no problem to fight enemies 3ish levels above you and even higher than that if you know what you're doing. Gear drops in the world are the same level as the enemies in that area, which can let you leapfrog power a bit if you get lucky.

Google Butt posted:

All quest progress is saved to the world you are playing in. If you complete a quest, it's only for that world, and if you join another server or start a world of your own for solo play, you'll have to do it again. Furthermore, I believe all enemies respawn and all chests reload when a world is restarted (I don't know about shroud roots, I think those stay dead).

Your character carries over between worlds - whatever they are carrying, their level, and their skill point allocation.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Roots stay dead since they give out skill points.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Meiteron posted:

FWIW, I noted that there's a glitch where the respawn key won't show the visible effect of filling up as you hold the respawn key but it actually is filling; hold the key long enough and you will respawn. The respawning back at your base is intentional, although there are respawn shrines in the world, usually near dungeons, which you will respawn at if you activate them before dying. They are the big glowing rock spheres on little shrines; the first Elixir Well the tutorial sends you to has one right at the entrance. Pretty early on you get the ability to place a second flame somewhere, which is another base and respawn point.

The NPCs are just how Enshrouded gates progression, more or less. In terms of difficulty you can grab the Blacksmith right away, the Hunter and Alchemist usually at low levels, and the Farmer after you've been playing for a few hours. The Carpenter is the most difficult one to access and I would probably recommend being able to hang with level 9 enemies without any difficulty before you try. As you play these NPCs will give you quests to visit specific locations and get unique items needed to make new crafting benches and whatnot for better gear.

They leave progression mostly open ended but the idea is that you beeline the Blacksmith immediately, which lets you get a basic armor set and some basic weapons. Progression then becomes grabbing metal shards to get those things, and then you push out to get the alchemist and hunter and start working on what they offer. In general, if you're geared up and play carefully it's no problem to fight enemies 3ish levels above you and even higher than that if you know what you're doing. Gear drops in the world are the same level as the enemies in that area, which can let you leapfrog power a bit if you get lucky.

Aaah okay. That worked, and I was able to get through the enemies and get the blacksmith, and now i have fur armor. I need to find some more metal scraps to make a better weapon. What does it mean sheltered to be able to make the metal armor? He's inside my house.

Also I kinda hate the building? I need to make blocks and then use those blocks to build the parts, and roof parts are a different selection from the walls, its very silly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

With Palworld's success I thought I'd check what Chimeraland was up to. It's superficially similar to Palworld, you've got monsters you can tame as pals, and you can build a base, but it's an MMO.

Sadly the game's decided it couldnt hack it and is closing in march this year lmao.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
So like 30ish hours into Enshrouded with my friend, we thought we mostly had the exploration gameplay of this game figured out. Open world, sometimes there's caves, sometimes there's towns, sometimes there's crypts. We figured that's it.

Then the blacksmith pointed us towards the Capital and we discovered we were loving wrong, this place was the Enshrouded equivalent of an Elden Ring Legacy Dungeon. A massive ruined city that you have to work your way through by moving through parts of ruined buildings and around shroud-blocked routes. It culminates in fighting a motherfucking Dragon in the front court of a ruined castle. It was wild. It took us like three hours. We were severely underleveled and had a blast.

If they have more areas of that complexity and challenge then this game is gonna have legs for certain.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Meiteron posted:

So like 30ish hours into Enshrouded with my friend, we thought we mostly had the exploration gameplay of this game figured out. Open world, sometimes there's caves, sometimes there's towns, sometimes there's crypts. We figured that's it.

Then the blacksmith pointed us towards the Capital and we discovered we were loving wrong, this place was the Enshrouded equivalent of an Elden Ring Legacy Dungeon. A massive ruined city that you have to work your way through by moving through parts of ruined buildings and around shroud-blocked routes. It culminates in fighting a motherfucking Dragon in the front court of a ruined castle. It was wild. It took us like three hours. We were severely underleveled and had a blast.

If they have more areas of that complexity and challenge then this game is gonna have legs for certain.

That boss was not fun to encounter after going through the back with a pickaxe. Good fight though once you figure out the gimmick.

Any tips for finding amber? Only seen a few in chests so far

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Jusupov posted:

That boss was not fun to encounter after going through the back with a pickaxe. Good fight though once you figure out the gimmick.

I've been getting amber sometimes from chopping the big tall trees that give hard wood.

e: Oh no poo poo you said amber, and I was thinking resin. lol sorry.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Survival Simulation Megathread: the big tall trees that give hard wood

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I spent like 4 hours just building a house with some minimal character progression. Surprisingly fun and easy. I like that you can get pretty creative with turning snap mode on/off and then leaning on the auto fill thing it does to resolve little inconsistencies.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

With Palworld's success I thought I'd check what Chimeraland was up to. It's superficially similar to Palworld, you've got monsters you can tame as pals, and you can build a base, but it's an MMO.

Sadly the game's decided it couldnt hack it and is closing in march this year lmao.

If there's one thing I hope Palworld steals from Chimeraland, it's flying so high that you go into space, complete with space biome pals.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Jusupov posted:

Apparently it's a mineable rock. If you google it there are a couple guides with maps and screenshots of the rocks. They are in shroud areas that will be red/deadly until you strengthen your flame a couple of times.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

The Locator posted:

Apparently it's a mineable rock. If you google it there are a couple guides with maps and screenshots of the rocks. They are in shroud areas that will be red/deadly until you strengthen your flame a couple of times.

Yeah I found some. Now I'm trekking in the desert area. Those towers sure are farther away than they first look like

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why does my glider suck, I can barely traverse that far. It's almost as if I'm a rock dropping through the air, I get barely any hang time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
An enshrouded tip for folks building that want to make something underground: Building a block and then deleting it will remove the terrain that it clips into. So you can build/remove a bunch of foundations to get the desired depth, build out how you want, and then use the terrain block feature to put a cap on it. Much, much, much easier than manually digging out everything with a pickaxe.

Realized this about halfway through my lovely underground hobbit hole base I made.