Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

How are the other 3 out of curiosity?

If you like Yodonna or slightly risque fanservice, it's fine. That's basically the bread and butter with TTFC stuff. Episode 3 definitely baits the viewer with yuri fan service though and the ending is kinda dumb to my recollection. I'd say give 1 and 2 a shot to see if it's interesting and if it isn't then 3 and probably 4 won't be either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New BoomBoonger poster:

https://twitter.com/BoonBoom_toei/status/1751440161546842333

It’s also been confirmed that the show’s OP will be performed by veteran toku singer Masaaki Endoh

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
is it gonna as cgi heavy as King

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GateOfD posted:

is it gonna as cgi heavy as King

Doesn’t look like it (or at the very least they’re going back to having it be set on Earth with actual sets and location shots again)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The presser is gonna be on the 18th, so we'll see then

We do know at least that location shooting has been done

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Spindash54/status/1752045469327327350?s=20

Shout is announcing W on the 14th.

Okay they're trying to keep it a mystery but come on.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I love the distinctly OT Fourze footage in the trailer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think that's the Heisei Generations movie they did. I was confused too at first.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

We don't use Trebuchet MS either

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I will say kudos to them for recognizing It's Space Time as the superior translation

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

First BoonBoomger trailer:

https://twitter.com/GaidenKarun/status/1752851446826254394

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 1, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
those helmets are something else

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

A very mecha forward first look.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ujFDtEoEYs

IDENTIFAIZ

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought the last orphenoch died in the 2010s

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm excited to watch Paradise Regain but the more I look at them the more I think the new suits are a downgrade.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think it speaks to the change in design aesthetics. The early heisei armors were more functional in design whereas the phase 2 heisei and reiwa stuff is a lot more bulky and gaudy. As much as I love the Build armor designs they look like absolute suck if you fall off a bike.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/SentaiFive/status/1753982969675723133

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I see we’re back to actual sets and on site locations again, which is good and probably less expensive for Toei then the excessive green screen work they’ve been doing for the current show

Also the megazord finisher seems reminiscent of Carranger to me

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

I see we’re back to actual sets and on site locations again, which is good and probably less expensive for Toei then the excessive green screen work they’ve been doing for the current show

We'll see how long that lasts insofar as this is probably footage from the first few episodes where the budget is a lot higher. Kingohger uses sets for its mecha fights. It's the ground stuff that's mostly on Green Screen and since there's not a hint of green on the main cast again, I expect that they'll still use a bunch of it for this series.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2rd43s

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This whole Spanner arc was a bit of an improvement over the series insofar as it actually allowed someone other than the main character to have the spotlight and engage in character conflict that didn't just go his way. Notably though, despite Valvarad not technically being the Secondary by branding, he is, for all intents and purposes, the Secondary based on how he's treated in the story and the amount of character focus he gets, particularly when compared to the actual secondary whose first appearance was in a movie and got their fist appearance in the series an episode before the last rider of the main trio got revealed.

Yes, I'm still watching it because it's still not as bad as Ghost or Saber.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Why is getting debuted in a movie bad, though?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's not, inherently, but it left the uncomfortable sensation that Rinne was being made extra useless for a few weeks between the movie and that episode because seeing Majade was meant to draw kids to the theaters. It probably didn't nerf her that much though because the bar was already pretty low and it turned out she could still use Chemies, she just wasn't doing so a lot of the time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's hard to think Rinne has any role in this show, much less that of the secondary Rider, when Spanner gets a two-episode arc focused entirely on himself that greatly expands on his character, and it ends not only in him becoming a Kamen Rider, but in him getting several forms, and he'll get even more in later episodes as shown in the preview. Meanwhile Majade's arc was half-Hotaro's, including him getting a new form during it, and she has a single form and nothing else, a situation that's unlikely to change since she has the cards for more forms programmed in the Alchemis Unit but she has used none of them. Also Spanner gets to beat his biggest enemy (Dread, regardless of user) in a one-sided fight where he doesn't even get to transform, as well as take revenge for his parents on the Angel Malgam, while Rinne fights...a random Malgam that's half-comic relief. Impressive.

Branding concerns aside, this was actually a good arc. Probably the second best the show has had after Dread's first appearance. My only real issue with it (which is a big one though) are just that it cashes in on a bunch of things that it never actually set up. Spanner has super powers which were never mentioned before, he has a soft and terrified personality below his aloofness after his parents got killed, none of this was even remotely hinted at before. Spanner is just a complete character now instead of a generic mean rival, which is great, but they should've built up to it considering Spanner has been here for nearly the entire series, even if it was in the background after a point because no one but Hotaro gets to do poo poo most of the time.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It was a good couple of episodes. I'd go so far as to say it was good for reasons that particularly highlight the contrast with the plotting around both Hotaro and Rinne, despite Rinne having been burning for most of the show and Spanner's stuff mostly coming into being in the last two weeks. Like:

Spanner owns his own breakthrough. I disagree with that arc being half-Hotaro; I'd describe it more as half baked. Hotaro didn't have his own moment there; he didn't learn anything about Rinne or have to understand her position because there's nothing to understand. Rinne's development on paper is simple, but solid - she has principles that she's suppressing, and needs to understand that she's letting society's judgments hold her back. She could have drawn this from her memories of her dad, or an actual developing relationship with Atropos, but instead, Hotaro has to nullify it by dropping a factoid left over from the Gotchard Fire arc, which essentially just confirms for her that the alchemists are corrupt and easily subverted, which we all already knew. She's been spinning wheels against Atropos all show until Hotaro just gives her permission to have agency.

(Honestly, it reminds me of that time when everyone was yelling for Yua to get off the pot with her arc, until she "developed" by Fuwa screaming the moral directly into her face while carrying the better part of Valkyrie's fight scene. She had "tools," Rinne had "rules.")

I was actually expecting Hotaro to run in screaming platitudes at Spanner during his fight with Minato. I am sincerely impressed that didn't happen. Instead, Spanner pays off his own setup with his own supporting characters - including Madwheel, somehow - to overcome his own demons. It's sudden, but it exists!

Spanner retains his individuality. It's only been one arc, but Rinne becoming Majade hasn't really given her any more to do - it's just shuffled the roles within Hotaro's party who are all joined at the hip to his whims. It was actually very funny at the end when Hotaro asked Spanner if he was joining The Squad, only for Spanner to remind him that he's got his own thing going on and his own methods.

It seems like the writer thought that a "second protagonist" just means a second suit standing next to Gotchard, when in fact it's the opposite. Spanner is a character because he has separate goals and a separate journey that intersects with Hotaro's. He even follows classic second Rider themes about isolation and revenge, and he's growing out of those on his own terms.

Oh yeah, and while we're giving this episode props: the villains have an actual dynamic. Heck, the villains' relationships are better developed than the protagonists' one-class hivemind at this point! Lachesis was established as the most empathetic of the sisters, so it makes sense that her sense of wrongness makes friction with Atropos, who is doubling down on her patterns out of spite for Rinne's gestures. Lachesis' burgeoning independence forms an interesting chemistry with Minato, now outed as an outright double agent. You could even argue that as the sister with the strongest passions and the instinct to act on them, she's the Hotaro of the squad against Atropos' retreat into protocol mirroring Rinne. (And Clotho with season 1 Spanner, but we'll see how that develops, I guess.)

Finally, one thing that's up in the air is the fact that Spanner sort of has a dynamic with his own Chemies. The ones he resonates with and the way he does manage to say something about what makes him different from Hotaro. Meanwhile, of course, we don't know anything about Sun or Unicorn, but that's one I will allow might have been a thing in the movie that introduced them.

The show's finally made some interesting moves. It's just too bad none of them have involved the alleged deuteragonist!

Caphi fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 6, 2024

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

You could even argue that as the sister with the strongest passions and the instinct to act on them, she's the Hotaro of the squad against Atropos' retreat into protocol mirroring Rinne. (And Clotho with season 1 Spanner, but we'll see how that develops, I guess.)

I like your post overall but I disagree with this. Atropos is definitely the Rinne, obsessed with following the "rules" of her side even as she fully realizes that they're doing nothing but hurting her and those she loves, as well as with a close relationship with a parental figure that's the best of their lot alchemy-wise (Fuga/Geryon).

Lachesis, however, I'd argue is Spanner. Beyond having a direct rivalry with Spanner who hasn't really interacted with Clotho, they're both the rebels, the ones that refuse to just follow their side. They both have significant traumas the series has put focus on, in both cases fully due to Geryon, and both of them forcefully became Gold Malgams.

Clotho is Hotaro by default. There's no real connecting tissue between them beyond her only facing Hotaro as Dread. I guess you could put as a connecting point that they're the least interesting of their respective teams but I doubt that's on purpouse.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
You got me, Lachesis is Spanner because they're the ones in their trios with personalities.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so Henshin! a Sentai RPG is doing a kickstarter for an expansion and is in their final two days and I thought it looked neat enough to bring up here, especially since they have a cheap bundle on offer for not only Henshin and the new expansion but also two of their other Toku inspired systems Rider Konchu(obviously based on Kamen Rider) and 3 Minutes(an Ultraman inspired one)

also after putting a pledge on that one I also discovered this one that is just a really funny premise; Sentai and Sensibility: Regency Roleplaying of Rangers and Romance

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Sentai, here’s the new theme song:

https://twitter.com/KRSentai/status/1755177253741142367

Also they might be doing something for the upcoming 30th anniversary of Kakuranger

https://twitter.com/sentai_official/status/1755184637444231330

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 7, 2024

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Sentai, here’s the new theme song:

https://twitter.com/KRSentai/status/1755177253741142367

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Caphi posted:

It's not, inherently, but it left the uncomfortable sensation that Rinne was being made extra useless for a few weeks between the movie and that episode because seeing Majade was meant to draw kids to the theaters. It probably didn't nerf her that much though because the bar was already pretty low and it turned out she could still use Chemies, she just wasn't doing so a lot of the time.

what really hurt is that the movie hit at the same time as hotaro's power up. she either had to wait after the power up arc or be instantly outclassed and they chose the former.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
GodDAMN, Kingohger.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New teaser showing off the grunts for the next season

https://twitter.com/BoonBoom_toei/status/1756483315241263162

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Barring a truly terrible, awful last-minute faceplant, I think Kingohger is probably flat out an all-timer.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This finale basically writes itself, you would need to actively be trying to screw up at this point.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Justin_Brett posted:

This finale basically writes itself, you would need to actively be trying to screw up at this point.
Its kind of an interesting end. The show ends as how it begins. defying the kings.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Either this is a up charge tax for this specific store or Toei is charging more for this set.

(Spoilering and breaking the link in case you want to be surprised for Shout’s next Blu-ray announcement that Barnes and Noble leaked)

[url]https://[/url] https://www.barnesandnoble.com/ w/ dvd-kamen-rider-geats-the-complete-series-kamen-rider-geats-the-complete-series-8pc/ 1144843733?ean=0826663245066

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I'm leaning more towards the licensing fees being super high and Shout trying to make the cost up because a Japanese company over-inflating the worth of their IP in another market seems kind of on brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

MadScientistWorking posted:

Its kind of an interesting end. The show ends as how it begins. defying the kings.

I was expecting a semi-downer ending where the people did run away, and where 2000 years later a new team finally takes down Dugded, but in hindsight this is more thematically appropriate.

Early on I wasn't too keen on King Ohger merely because it wasn't DonBrothers, but it very quickly became one of my favorite sentai series, and I think it might perhaps be the best sentai series, period. It's just so good.

It's all right, it's all right! You're King!