Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rinkles posted:

it's more that it's a hassle when sometimes I just want to go out and explore and not think about another form of inventory management

Yeah I take it back. I was condensing things now and then and thought I was being dutiful enough, but shortly after your post I was out leveling and exploring and got the limit anyway. I only noticed because like 10 weird lights showed up behind me when I finally stopped cruise catching. It was annoying to go back to base to merge and then sell off 5 pages to my nearby black market guy. I need more room for breeding/4 starting. And since kicking up my.breeding factory/coal base I'll be needing the space even more.

So def agree on raising box limit. Also set up a breeding factory, wild catching is annoying when you want something specific en masse. Too many ways for it to go wrong or the ball just keeps failing. Plus some later pals don't have more than one spawn spot. Plus if you do both it speeds it up on two ends. I wish it were easier to assign them though, the coal base one is nice because there's nothing for them to do so it's easier to wrangle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Also I love my base location except that it doesn't get raids at all, like just doesn't even spawn em despite there being two good roads leading in.

150,150 if you want a safe flat area for a main base. Has a dungeon right on the same spike that has a black market guy and an egg spawn. Has a good view or launching point for three big zones.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't understand how the breeding center works. Am I seriously supposed to manually assign these fuckers by throwing them in the pen? This lovely penguin just keeps sprinting away before I can put a second pet in.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Oxyclean posted:

I don't understand how the breeding center works. Am I seriously supposed to manually assign these fuckers by throwing them in the pen? This lovely penguin just keeps sprinting away before I can put a second pet in.

yeah trying to throw big pals at the breeding center in a cramped base has been my first real frustration with this game

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Oxyclean posted:

breeding is a job, you need to have them assigned to the base in the base slots if your havent done that. just from your party isnt enough. then a cake in the breeding box.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
sometimes they refuse to join the farm and instantly fall asleep. i have no idea what causes it because the same pairs would work at different times and/or locations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Oxyclean posted:

Two things: first you have to throw them deeper in than it seems like, like right near the back, and also even if they run away immediately they still might be assigned to it and will return once you thrown in a second one, check the male/female symbols and make sure it's at 1/1

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I don't care if I eventually find more efficient pals for cooking and smelting, I already have my base MVP :kimchi:

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

IT'S DONE, THIS TOOK WAY TOO LONG TO DO BUT IT'S FINALLY DONE.

haven't noticed it pick up anything higher then green balls yet but here's hoping.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Piell posted:

Two things: first you have to throw them deeper in than it seems like, like right near the back, and also even if they run away immediately they still might be assigned to it and will return once you thrown in a second one, check the male/female symbols and make sure it's at 1/1

And even then they'll sometimes gently caress off and do literally anything else. I've found a few times that I've had to stand there with my shotgun while the progress bar fills just to make sure the little bastards actually make an egg.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Dirk the Average posted:

And even then they'll sometimes gently caress off and do literally anything else. I've found a few times that I've had to stand there with my shotgun while the progress bar fills just to make sure the little bastards actually make an egg.

Some of us can only perform under pressure

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I got rid of my mining camp because my anubises would rather hit rocks than make eggs. If I stayed in base it was fine, but if I left they'd both be at the rocks. And you can't take them off, the game won't let you. All in service of almighty rock.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Khanstant posted:

I got rid of my mining camp because my anubises would rather hit rocks than make eggs. If I stayed in base it was fine, but if I left they'd both be at the rocks. And you can't take them off, the game won't let you. All in service of almighty rock.

you can only blame yourself when you just told them they needed to get their rocks off

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

I don't think I'm supposed to be up there....

Clipped through the ceiling of a boss arena during Mossanda's charging punch animation into an "outdoors" area. Went into a hole there and fell on an invisible ceiling above the boss.

I can't hurt him, he can't hurt me.

I will have to starve to death. Apparently standing still does NOT reduce hunger, so I have to run and jump.

Edit: it was faster to suicide b flying up and falling a couple times

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 28, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's a respawn button in the menu.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
In regards to box space, I wish you could partially level up a Pal with the condenser.
Having to stuff 64 in there ALL AT THE SAME TIME feels utterly overwhelming so I just don't set out to catch them. But if I could just slowly chip away at them it'll feel nicer.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The bees have exploded and shoved me into the walls multiple times.
Chucking down a flyer and getting on will pull you right out.

Found a decently flat spot for a coal base right next to the Anubis boss.
Has like 5 coal and 1 ore.
Unsafe territory though.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 28, 2024

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Driving me nuts that even with a base that's perfectly flat (no foundations) and with stuff fairly spaced out, I'm still dealing with Pals randomly going missing (presumably falling through the world.)

Pretty much any time I see a Pal hungry I just cycle them in and out.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

So I bought into the Stanley cup of games and bought this recently, I played Rust like all the way back in the day but haven't touched it in years, that's like the extent of my survival game experience, is this something I want to start and play in multiplayer but is everyone here just doing single player? Is there pvp where someone can just come up and kill me randomly in multiplayer?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
PVP doesn't exist yet, and might never be added.

Deciding whether or not to include PvP is the biggest fork in the road in development, as it changes your list of priorities entirely. For example, in PvP games, fast travel is usually severely restricted, but I don’t think the average user nowadays would be able to tolerate an open-world game without fast travel. These kinds of things make it really difficult to combine PvP and PvE in the same map, and it wasn’t until I tried doing it that I realized, “Oh, so that’s why other games don’t do that.” Trying to make PvP and PvE work with each other means developing a game with significant limitations in terms of game design – it’s a hard path to take.

With Palworld, we made the mistake of thinking we can “just casually add PvP later on.” However, in the middle of trying to do this, we realized how problematic it was going to be. From that point on, we rushed to make last-minute adjustments so that nothing goes against the game design’s basic premises. Even now, some inconsistencies remain in the game design, and we have to resolve them if we want a PvP mode release.

from an interview with the ceo

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
PVP is going to be hard, they said they want some kind of arena where you send your pals in to do battle and data mining found a file for a theft ball that let's you steal other people's pals.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

boofhead posted:

i havent tried it but this article says there's a particular way to glitch it:

https://www.pcgamer.com/palworld-catch-tower-bosses/

This works on all the tower bosses btw, though I haven't managed to get it to work on the ones that fly, because they're real bastards.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rinkles posted:

PVP doesn't exist yet, and might never be added.

Deciding whether or not to include PvP is the biggest fork in the road in development, as it changes your list of priorities entirely. For example, in PvP games, fast travel is usually severely restricted, but I don’t think the average user nowadays would be able to tolerate an open-world game without fast travel. These kinds of things make it really difficult to combine PvP and PvE in the same map, and it wasn’t until I tried doing it that I realized, “Oh, so that’s why other games don’t do that.” Trying to make PvP and PvE work with each other means developing a game with significant limitations in terms of game design – it’s a hard path to take.

With Palworld, we made the mistake of thinking we can “just casually add PvP later on.” However, in the middle of trying to do this, we realized how problematic it was going to be. From that point on, we rushed to make last-minute adjustments so that nothing goes against the game design’s basic premises. Even now, some inconsistencies remain in the game design, and we have to resolve them if we want a PvP mode release.

from an interview with the ceo

Never seem pessimistic, but will be the last thing they implement and will focus on making a good single player or cooperative game first. Then sort out how to do a PvP mode. They're still working on Craftopia final release So it'll be years either way.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Bred 5 Lunarii to have mining foreman so I can carry nearly an extra 500 weight and and the mining goes 125% faster!

Now working on getting a bunch of Loupmoon with Artisan/Serious/Work Slave since other work pals have other tasks they get distracted by, and Loupmoon only has Handiwork

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 28, 2024

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Are the defensive walls really needed? They're so tall and ugly and ruin my view...

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are the defensive walls really needed? They're so tall and ugly and ruin my view...

youll be singing a different tune soon when they come for you bearing flame

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Accidentally aggro'd a mammoth during a raid. My standard procedure during raids is just to hurl balls into the melee and pray. Caught the mammoth on some RNG benevolent god luck.

I brought him up to that area full of the Dumuds and bowser turtles and he's just annihilating everything and getting me googobs of pal oil.

Caught Incineram the same way and that Pal fucks hard.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Lt. Cock posted:

Caught Incineram the same way and that Pal fucks hard.

Is this some mod or something?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

rkd_ posted:

Is this some mod or something?

Must be, only pal that fucks I know in the base game is the sexpest lizard

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I really hope they don't add PVP, and it sounds like the CEO is aware of the problems invited when you start to touch the PVP poop.

I really hope they don't dedicate resources to it, because adding PVP means that you are committing to locking away half of your focus and attention for the rest of the life of the game

PVP is great and I play it where it's available but it doesn't need to be in every game

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Isn't PVP one of the worst parts of ARK, Rust, and basically every other game from that side of Palworld's family tree?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It'd be great if I could pit my guys against my friends guys in a controlled environment. A "stadium", perhaps. That'd be a better approach than turning Palworld into yet another grief-fest.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I think there's a place for open world PvP servers, I just wouldn't want it to be the default. Stadium or arena is a proven style from the Pokemon heritage, even though we don''t think of those games as PvP they have that PvP feature.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I gained 3 levels trying to breed Swift and Lucky onto things. I had a Sheepball and another random who had lucky and swift and got those onto other things eventually but not before making a bunch of arbitrary swift and lucky pals. I think they do sell for more if nothing else.

When you hatch Lucky onto a new pal, it loses the sparkle icon and isn't mega huge. The hugeness would be cool if pathing were better and if you didn't get stuck in smaller cave passages riding.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

It'd be great if I could pit my guys against my friends guys in a controlled environment. A "stadium", perhaps. That'd be a better approach than turning Palworld into yet another grief-fest.

Make it so you're permanently glued to a rideable pal and have only 10 minutes to fight an opponent on foot with 6 pals.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

SCheeseman posted:

that is one of their plans

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
PvP stadium battles with no player involvement would sure be something. Multiple save-edited monsters running around with stats set to maximum and so many yellow traits that you can't see them all. It all comes down to the wire in a five hour battle of starvation between one pal who clipped through the floor and another who clipped through the stands. When a victor is finally announced the crowd t-poses.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
For single player content Id like to see places that need to be defended. The part of raids people hate is when their bases get destroyed. So just have some tower defensey areas where they give you X resources to setup the various defense things you never get to use, pick a handful of defense pals, and set them about the location or defense placements. Then send in the raids.

That way they can have pathfinding that works so you don't get a cluster of doofuses stuck in a corner doing nothing, have a set piece building to defend and lose if it's destroyed. Higher level waves can send in stronger humans and paps or even the bosses.

The world could also use some swarms suddenly spawn to harangue you or if you got a "hive" of pals or something. There's a scatter pal sphere launcher that eats like 20 balls in one shot but even against a Sweepa and swee pod, it's useless. I hit 2 and caught 1.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 28, 2024

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Raid burned down my house and I absolutely refuse to deal with the bullshit construction in this game to rebuild it.

Turns out I never sleep at night anyways so it didn't matter at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

there's already pvp in this game. you can drop a high-value item (like honey) on a hard-to-teach area and gathering pals will go absolutely loving wild trying to get to it, then starve to death.