Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SacrificialGoat posted:

Speaking of Brain Tape, they drop one episode of a new season and then radio silence for what's it been, a month now?

It's an Achewood podcast, so pretty on-point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Deathlove posted:

Really hated that new font.

I think it's the same font just rendered differently, probably due to Onstad using a different image editor/workflow. I can get Blue Highway to look preeeeeetty close to how it does in classic Achewood using Photoshop 2024 but sometimes the kerning is just a tad off, and I can't get the italics to slant exactly right.

I was fiddling around with that a bit to try to upscale some panels to much higher resolution, since I kind of want to get canvas prints of the "drat, this is a thing, isn't it? / our every move is the new tradition" panels as I am sorely lacking in esoteric nerd wall art.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
At least its not Comic Sans

Dunny
Jul 11, 2022

On that secret Taco Bell menu since small times

(Thanks for the Achewood collection, dude)
iirc the Blue Highway that is available online isn't quite the same as the original that Chris used - it's been tweaked by the creator of the font, who has now lost the original.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

World War Mammories posted:

that segment includes todd yelling "BALLS" so loud that he autodecapitates and I will defend that pair of strips to the death

"With the same sonic footprint as a tomato falling diseased from the vine" rules, and I do not apologize to you or any other.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

drrockso20 posted:

At least its not Comic Sans

He wants to taste the curb! He wants to taste the loving curb!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

:thanks:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I had to.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Teodor don't you know that's the last person with whom you should ever enter into a deal

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

This feels like a re-hash of the SoftBoys arc except Circus Penis is now Elon. Or him blowing a guy in a danger van.

It's almost a trope seeing Teodor constantly give up his dignity at this point. Credit where it's due, I have zero clue where this is going. It's turning into a SickAnimation clip.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I'm going to go with this is Ray finding a way to pay Teodor a stipend without letting him know it's him paying.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

It's also a little awkward that instead of fun alt-text we see Onstad desperately trying to sell his house in Portland. I guess fiction slightly matches the situation of the author.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I don't think he is actually trying to sell his house on patreon and I doubt he would have any difficulty selling a house in Portland of all places

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I do not think Ray would do this.

I could see Beef doing it with Ray's money, and perhaps his blessing.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Meh if Twitter or any Elon venture where he has an active role is any indication, this will all be a colossal blunder for everyone involved

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
Im keeping my fingers crossed that it’s Lie Bot. Haven’t seen him around in a time.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

C'mon Onstad, I already feel like I have to barf every time I see that corny douchebag's face out in the world, don't make me have to deal with him in my ding-dang comics

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Don't think I've ever seen these Serializer strips before, looking forward to the rest of the archive being released.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

MisterBear posted:

Im keeping my fingers crossed that it’s Lie Bot. Haven’t seen him around in a time.

Off the top rope with a chair!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Weird, I distinctly remember the Rockford Fosgate storyarc and yet I have no memory of this strip of Showbiz wanting to start a business with Roast Beef teaching people how to rob banks. Oh well, I'll count it as being new to me!

The follow-up strip is a delight too.

Roast Beef: He uh he is partying down in Cozumel the chicks there are uh they are just insane this time of year
Ray: Huh, that's weird! I've always heard that the chicks in Cozumel are pretty conservative this time of year!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That strip always sticks out to me for the "I thought that poo poo was just old mayo!" "That don't exactly explain why you tried to eat it" exchange.

Dunny
Jul 11, 2022

On that secret Taco Bell menu since small times

(Thanks for the Achewood collection, dude)

moot the hopple posted:

Don't think I've ever seen these Serializer strips before, looking forward to the rest of the archive being released.

I have collected as many as I could find: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1o67BcrIKLU15-hejy0amKly1YeXOWiP3?usp=sharing

They're mostly in the early years' appendices at the end of each book.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

I do not think Ray would do this.

I could see Beef doing it with Ray's money, and perhaps his blessing.

I'm pretty sure it's just teodor having hallucinogenic introspection due to a head injury.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Seldom Posts posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just teodor having hallucinogenic introspection due to a head injury.
Teodor's brain ionization has forced him into south african magical realism

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Weird, I distinctly remember the Rockford Fosgate storyarc and yet I have no memory of this strip of Showbiz wanting to start a business with Roast Beef teaching people how to rob banks. Oh well, I'll count it as being new to me!

The follow-up strip is a delight too.

Roast Beef: He uh he is partying down in Cozumel the chicks there are uh they are just insane this time of year
Ray: Huh, that's weird! I've always heard that the chicks in Cozumel are pretty conservative this time of year!

God dammit that strip is so close to the GOF I ended up just going and reading the whole thing accidentally.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

God dammit that strip is so close to the GOF I ended up just going and reading the whole thing accidentally.

Likewise...

I totally forgot the whole lead in with Ray plying his mum with wine to get the goss on Ramses

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Great Outdoor Fight starts with Ray trying to help Todd with his phone testicle startup

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Can't get on the phone, I'm triballin'

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

RocketMermaid posted:

C'mon Onstad, I already feel like I have to barf every time I see that corny douchebag's face out in the world, don't make me have to deal with him in my ding-dang comics

I just rewatched Silicon Valley and man they did a lot of "Elon Musk is an altruistic genius" references that aged swiftly and poorly.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
He was doing a big PR push around that time to sanitize his image and all those weird cameo were dumb dogshit

Hope that's not the case with the last strip and his appearance is just some fakeout or something

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Larry Cum Free posted:

I just rewatched Silicon Valley and man they did a lot of "Elon Musk is an altruistic genius" references that aged swiftly and poorly.

people often say that Mike Judge is some kind of visionary genius and I honestly don’t get it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh no, not the briar patch!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Larry Cum Free posted:

yeah IIRC this was right about the time when his public image was "cool rocket genius" and not "incompetent Nazi"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

trilobite terror posted:

people often say that Mike Judge is some kind of visionary genius and I honestly don’t get it

Yeah same with Idiocracy, funny movie but absolutely tone deaf garbage politics

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

MikeCrotch posted:

Idiocracy is the film embodiment of superiority complex

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MikeCrotch posted:

everybody memory-holed the Goode Family, and rightly so, but I recently rewatched all of KoTH and IDK how people still insist that it doesn’t have a right-of-center worldview at the best of times and one openly contemptuous of/hostile to women’s/minority/environment/etc issues at the worst

like for every episode that has an incisive take on neolib hypocrisy and team politics there’s one where the villain of the week is just the flimsiest excuse to poo poo on social workers or climate activists or whatever

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

trilobite terror posted:

everybody memory-holed the Goode Family, and rightly so, but I recently rewatched all of KoTH and IDK how people still insist that it doesn’t have a right-of-center worldview at the best of times and one openly contemptuous of/hostile to women’s/minority/environment/etc issues at the worst

like for every episode that has an incisive take on neolib hypocrisy and team politics there’s one where the villain of the week is just the flimsiest excuse to poo poo on social workers or climate activists or whatever

It was fine family sitcom that didn't lean too far in either direction for the majority of its run, but in those final seasons (which means like a third of the series) it moved into "topical" territory and you're absolutely right, every other episode was "Virtuous Hank triumphs over a Pompous Liberal Strawman thanks to Common Sense."

I don't think it's a coincidence that those seasons were produced at the same time that Greg Daniels was focused on getting The Office up and running - it seems he was the one keeping Judge's dipshit libertarian tendencies in-check.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

People realized late in its run that Beavis and Butt-head wasn't just about the antics of two antisocial idiot teenagers but that there was a seed of a point in there about how society was failing kids and of course these two are what you get when that happens, and Judge has been coasting on that seed for nearly thirty years.

(and obviously it's no coincidence that most of the ways "society was failing kids" sprung out of the Reagan years, but that people didn't take notice until the Clinton years)

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

I want to drunk cook with Ray and Teodor. I would gently caress with that whole spread and I get the logic behind cooking oil, lavender and rosemary in the espresso machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Remember to stick around for Philippe and the Transfer Station.