Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Y'all giving me terrible flashbacks with all the water leak chat. I still haven't repaired my sidewalk/driveway lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mortgage companies gently caress up escrow withholding all the time, which is why after the second time they double billed for insurance without telling me I just opted out. If you can't due to mortgage requirements that sucks and I'm sorry, otherwise honestly just stick that money in a HYSA and pay those bills yourself. Escrow was absolutely not worth the hassle for me.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Water chat:.My basement has an ejector pit to overhead sewer that grey water and toilets go into. The PO capped the floor drains and swore it never flooded in 50 years. We've had 2 floods from rain (no idea where it got in) and 2 from failed equipment (burst water heater, laundry water hookup hose that broke while we were out of town), plus water backups from the condensate drain before that was repaired. We do have a shower drain (goes to ejector) but that's it.

I don't even know where to locate a sump or install a new floor drain because of the random slopes in the floor. It's exhausting trying to think of how to deal with this. Our back yard is a sunken patio our neighbors yards drain into and my spring/summer project is going to be trying to tile that out to the front yard, I'm hoping that solves rain issues and that repairing equipment solves the rest.

On the plus side I got a huge insurance payout last flood for a bunch of old stuff my wife kept, like fencing gear from high school that was valuable but never going to be used again.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Mortgage companies gently caress up escrow withholding all the time, which is why after the second time they double billed for insurance without telling me I just opted out. If you can't due to mortgage requirements that sucks and I'm sorry, otherwise honestly just stick that money in a HYSA and pay those bills yourself. Escrow was absolutely not worth the hassle for me.

This is where I’m leaning if they mess with my payments again. The main hurdle is setting up automatic transfers to safeguard against self-harm via expense creep after the monthly mortgage payment drops considerably.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I got my first mortgage in 2016 and there was not a single year my mortgage company successfully predicted how much my escrow needed in it, it was always short until the day I paid the mortgage off and just started handling my property taxes and insurance myself

I have a new house now with a new mortgage company and I'm just expecting it'll be the same deal forever.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Mortgage companies really are the dumbest. They estimated my taxes for next year to be -$600 what I paid this year for some reason, which is undoubtedly going to give me an escrow shortfall next year

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
In California for a while it was awesome when they way overshot it. 2% statutory interest on escrowed money so I would lump sum true it up. Then interest rates went from like 0.5% to >2% and I let them deal with it.

Thankfully it's only once a year you need to adjust things if you are isolating money to prevent impulse overspending.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys, do mortgage companies ever either purposely or accidentally gently caress your escrow analysis up? Mr Cooper has claimed that my payment is going from 677 to 941, claiming there is a 2k shortgage. And the information I see on the website doesn't make any sense at all.

I tried to copy and paste but it messed it up so I'll just retype the information.

Projections
County Tax - Last 12 months: 977 Next 12 months: 977. 0 difference
Hazard Insurance - Last 12 months: 1759 Next 12 months: 1759 0 difference
Mortgage Insurance Last 12 months: 674.05 Next 12 months: 622.20 51.85 in the green

So that looks good. And under that is says

Analysis Result: Shortgage
Minimum Required Balance456.12
Lowest Projected Balance(1,560.94)
SHORTAGE TOTAL

And I have no idea how that math even maths. It's the weekend, so I can't call them. And I'm having a hard time getting the actual escrow analysis document from their website. I found it earlier, but it didn't have 2024 available when I looked, and now I can't find it again at all. It's the weekend, so I can't call them.

Mr Cooper in particular sucks balls. They have hosed up our billing multiple times and are extremely hard to get through on the phone to. They don't publish the actual number you need to call for a lot of things. In our case specifically they keep claiming we're under-insured with our homeowner's policy, which we aren't. The last time I talked to them the lady said that apparently there is a box in their system (I presume some database entry) that they need to be able to fill out but can't because it's grayed out so she just appended a note to my file. She said with as very likely we'd get the same "you're under insured and we're going to call your mortgage due" nasty gram again next year and that I would likely have to call back and go through all the motions. It takes multiple hours to get this straightened out every time.

They're an absolute clown show. They used to be Nationstar Holdings, and if you google that you'll find all manner of people complaining about the same poo poo.

So, condolences on your mortgage getting bought by those pricks. It sucks.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Mr cooper sent me a letter earlier this year letting me know that my information (ssn, address, phone number, etc) had been compromised. Very cool.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Mr Cooper story: I used the COVID mortgage pause it offered for a year, then did some payments during the pause. This made their system think I was simultaneously in default (as I didn't make monthly payments) and in the pause, and I would get letters telling me foreclosures were about to start, then another letter saying all is well, etc. At one point I realized the letters were crossing each other in the mail and i'd sometimes get the latest sent one before the prior sent one. Caused a huge amount of anxiety.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

During the recession in 2007/2008 I did a HAMP/HARP (forget which) refinance and my mortgage also got brought by Wells Fargo. Had a bunch of things done through mortgage escrow.

Fast forward 10 years and I get letters from the state that I no longer live in that I have unclaimed assets. To the tune of $16k. Apparently Wells Fargo had messed up the calculations and never reached out to me. I had already sold the house 5 years previous.

So I got my $16k 10 years later. Pretty wild.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cancel escrow imo

This post is directed at everyone with escrow for paying taxes and insurance, just handle that poo poo yourself if you're allowed to

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Internet Explorer posted:

During the recession in 2007/2008 I did a HAMP/HARP (forget which) refinance and my mortgage also got brought by Wells Fargo. Had a bunch of things done through mortgage escrow.

Fast forward 10 years and I get letters from the state that I no longer live in that I have unclaimed assets. To the tune of $16k. Apparently Wells Fargo had messed up the calculations and never reached out to me. I had already sold the house 5 years previous.

So I got my $16k 10 years later. Pretty wild.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Cancel escrow imo

This post is directed at everyone with escrow for paying taxes and insurance, just handle that poo poo yourself if you're allowed to

We're doing this at our new place and I am terrified. I loved escrow. Plus, someone to sue (lol who am I kidding arbitrate funny joke they disclaim all responsibility despite holding your money.) if they gently caress it up enough that it causes you a real problem.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

We're doing this at our new place and I am terrified. I loved escrow. Plus, someone to sue (lol who am I kidding arbitrate funny joke they disclaim all responsibility despite holding your money.) if they gently caress it up enough that it causes you a real problem.

You like weird things but that's ok

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

You like weird things but that's ok

True story. I also haven't had any actual problems so it's super convenient to know that as long as that 1 check clears every month I keep the house. I imagine if it ever had an actual problem I would rapidly change my mind.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Right? Exactly.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Finally started work on the sink.

Went very badly, will not have a working kitchen sink for at least a week I think. Need to buy more parts and tools, and the project has expanded to disassembling several pipes in the basement. Some unavoidable water down the back of the cupboard, but when the s traps drain is less than an inch from the ground thats nearly unavoidable.

I did find out the main pipe clogs thats been consistently causing me trouble is mostly made of metal though - pins, nails, staples, screws, nuts, which explains why its been so hard to dislodge long term. What the gently caress were the previous owners using this sink for?

Unfortunately will be a bit before I can get stuff because when I went to get them I discovered my car had died, so that had to be towed to the mechanic. Also when I gave up on fixing it I went to sit down and my chair broke.

So you know, its not been a great attempt but could have gone worse. Honestly went better than I was worried about.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Do you live in a cartoon? Do you hear whimsical music and a laugh track going in the background?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Finally started work on the sink.

Went very badly, will not have a working kitchen sink for at least a week I think. Need to buy more parts and tools, and the project has expanded to disassembling several pipes in the basement. Some unavoidable water down the back of the cupboard, but when the s traps drain is less than an inch from the ground thats nearly unavoidable.

I did find out the main pipe clogs thats been consistently causing me trouble is mostly made of metal though - pins, nails, staples, screws, nuts, which explains why its been so hard to dislodge long term. What the gently caress were the previous owners using this sink for?

Unfortunately will be a bit before I can get stuff because when I went to get them I discovered my car had died, so that had to be towed to the mechanic. Also when I gave up on fixing it I went to sit down and my chair broke.

So you know, its not been a great attempt but could have gone worse. Honestly went better than I was worried about.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

They're an absolute clown show. They used to be Nationstar Holdings, and if you google that you'll find all manner of people complaining about the same poo poo.

So, condolences on your mortgage getting bought by those pricks. It sucks.

I love how "buy your mortgage and make it impossible to pay" has somehow become a viable business strategy. :smith:

So much of what goes on in the current state of the mortgage industry should be illegal.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Chase administers my mortgage and has done a good job with escrow.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I worked for Nationstar Mortgage a little over a decade ago, and now my mortgage is with Mr.Cooper :v:

I haven't had any problems yet, but from my time working there I know we had a lot of issues with peoples escrows not being right. I don't know if that's out of the ordinary though because when my mortgage was with Wells Fargo, my escrow was always less than it needed to be come tax time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Mr Cooper ......They used to be Nationstar Holdings

I've seen multiple people here post about Mr Cooper and I'm like "weird name, never heard of them" but all of the horror show posts now make perfect sense.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

I've seen multiple people here post about Mr Cooper and I'm like "weird name, never heard of them" but all of the horror show posts now make perfect sense.

I get an email every month warning me they are going to mail me my statement. It's hilarious. "Thanks for the heads up?" I just hit report spam on it. If there is an important notice they can mail it to me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

With property taxes capped in California, seems like it would hard to gently caress up escrow

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hadlock posted:

With property taxes capped in California, seems like it would hard to gently caress up escrow

Something so easy that it can't possibly get hosed up? The real estate industry finds a way.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I pay my own mortgage, trash, electricity, gas, water, sewer, phone, internet, car insurance, and car registration, so since my escrow company has hosed up more than once when it comes to doing their only job I feel pretty confident that I'd be better at this than them. But they didn't respond to my request so I guess they're too incompetent to even respond to a letter.

Mine wasn't Mr. Cooper, it was Select Portfolio Servicing which is some outfit from Utah with a dogshit website.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Hanlon's razor doesn't apply when "whoops we held more of your money than we had to." Because there is always profit in that.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Best lubricant for squeaky interior door hinges?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Lithium grease spray works wonders on metal to metal contact stuff (like hinges)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

brugroffil posted:

Salmon grease.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

brugroffil posted:

I’ve had luck for four years now with WD40. I’d either tap the pin out, scotchbirght and reinstall or spray it down the crevices and work it in.

No squeaks returned.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Lithium grease. Alternatively, if you have any of the spray for garage door tracks, that works well too.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CarForumPoster posted:

I’ve had luck for four years now with WD40. I’d either tap the pin out, scotchbirght and reinstall or spray it down the crevices and work it in.

No squeaks returned.

WD40 is a lovely lubricant and don’t stay put on the surface.

Unless your hinges need water displaced to avoid rust you would be better served with a differently product.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cyrano4747 posted:

WD40 is a lovely lubricant and don’t stay put on the surface.

Unless your hinges need water displaced to avoid rust you would be better served with a differently product.

I was into trib(ology) in an earlier life. You’re correct, but it still has worked for 4 years. A squeak gone right now is often better than a squeak gone tomorrow if you remember to stop by autozone.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

CongoJack posted:

Mr cooper sent me a letter earlier this year letting me know that my information (ssn, address, phone number, etc) had been compromised. Very cool.

I got this letter and I've never had escrow!

I was like "who the gently caress is mr cooper and why did they have my data???" But it's like the fifth company to confess to losing my info in the last couple years, including my goddamn health insurance company. So whatever I guess. Got so many of those "complimentary year of credit monitoring" stacked up now.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Baddog posted:

Got so many of those "complimentary year of credit monitoring" stacked up now.

Those are fun, especially when they're offered because Equifax let your info be compromised.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Baddog posted:

I got this letter and I've never had escrow!

I was like "who the gently caress is mr cooper and why did they have my data???" But it's like the fifth company to confess to losing my info in the last couple years, including my goddamn health insurance company. So whatever I guess. Got so many of those "complimentary year of credit monitoring" stacked up now.

This is why I keep our credit frozen at all times unless we’re doing a major purpose. I wouldn’t trust them to be good at credit monitoring anyway.

I dealt with insane amounts of fraud daily at my work for 14+ years (not so much now), most fraudsters are pretty bad and obvious (hi I want to buy 4 iPhone Pro Maxes, all new phone numbers), but they get by on volume alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

I was into trib(ology) in an earlier life. You’re correct, but it still has worked for 4 years. A squeak gone right now is often better than a squeak gone tomorrow if you remember to stop by autozone.

This is a wildly differnt take than your first post on the topic. Way to move the goalposts/pretend you didn't get called out on giving bad advice.