Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

incogneato posted:

Are you sure a 65" would be too large? It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks to me like a distance and space that you wouldn't regret going larger if your budget allows.

A 65 would physically fit in the space, but because of where the alcove is it would be shifted too far over to the right from where you view it. Also it would upset my girlfriend who is a bit anti-massive-TVs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kingtheninja posted:

Oh boy, I'm going to stir the pot here.

In my defense, it's the only good place for the tv to go in this room. Measures about 62 inches off the ground and the couch is 12.5 feet away. Not ideal but my basement setup is much better (and darker, and where the 4k player is).

I want to scream

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So my C2 is coming on Weds. I am super excited. The only problem is that it doesn't support DTS. What are my options? Should I get some kind of splitter thingy? Or will the difference versus whatever will actually end up coming out be negligible enough to not worth fussing over? I do have a nice audio setup - Yamaha RX-V4A and Bowers & Wilkins 706 S2.

I am only ever going to watch Blu Ray remuxes played back through an Apple TV, so maybe the ATV will decode the DTS or something?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 21, 2024

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Oh boy, I'm going to stir the pot here.

In my defense, it's the only good place for the tv to go in this room. Measures about 62 inches off the ground and the couch is 12.5 feet away. Not ideal but my basement setup is much better (and darker, and where the 4k player is).

Is this like the TV version of that subreddit where people post their intentionally lovely meme cooking?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
mantlemount.com

Gotta get the mantlemount if its gonna be too high. My TV goes over the fireplace too, but it can be adjusted to go so far down that I can still get the eyeballs aligned with the middle of the screen. Not really a subjective aesthetic thing so much, but rather the fact that neck pain generally reflects actual physical damage being done to the body.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

So my C2 is coming on Weds. I am super excited. The only problem is that it doesn't support DTS. What are my options? Should I get some kind of splitter thingy? Or will the difference versus whatever will actually end up coming out be negligible enough to not worth fussing over? I do have a nice audio setup - Yamaha RX-V4A and Bowers & Wilkins 706 S2.

I am only ever going to watch Blu Ray remuxes played back through an Apple TV, so maybe the ATV will decode the DTS or something?

Connect an HDMI from the eARC port and hook it up to the Yamaha since it's able to decode the DTS:X track. Basically you're going to set everything to passthrough the sound and let the receiver do it's job.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Quixzlizx posted:

Is this like the TV version of that subreddit where people post their intentionally lovely meme cooking?

No this is like the subreddit where people post TVs that are too high

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is this TV too high?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Is this TV too high?

I hope it falls into the bath

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

KillHour posted:

Is that a dog? Post pictures of your dog and I'll give you an official thread indulgence to overlook your fireplace TV.

Edit: The bigger sin is that sad sound bar.

Alright fine, here's the dog:

The chair in that Pic is for a toddler so it's only about two feet off the ground. And yeah the sound bar needs to be replaced, that'll be this year some time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Alright fine, here's the dog:

The chair in that Pic is for a toddler so it's only about two feet off the ground. And yeah the sound bar needs to be replaced, that'll be this year some time.

Very cute dog. My dog forgives your terrible TV placement.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

kri kri posted:

I hope it falls into the bath

My TV couldn't even fit into my bath

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I'm thinking about corner-mounting a TV for my relatively small home office to have one while I'm on my computer. I'd be sitting at my desk and the TV would be on the right side pretty close. My desk's edge is about two feet from the right wall and my chair about 3-4 feet. I'm worried if I get something like a 43" it would be too big to have close to me - my monitor is only 24" and already feels like it takes up a lot of space, does anyone have any experience with a setup like this?

I was thinking something like the Vizio V-Series" and 43" is the smallest it gets. Any advice the TV pros have here?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Why not use another monitor? All a TV really gets you now is bad apps and uploading your data to their ad sales department.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

qirex posted:

Why not use another monitor? All a TV really gets you now is bad apps and uploading your data to their ad sales department.

Makes sense to me! I'd just have to look up how to get the audio split right. I may do just that!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It did not fit up the stairs. So, I called some movers and found a better way…

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Hello goons.
I'm an old man and don't know what TV to buy. I've read the OP and various reviews online, but still not sure.
I have an ancient plasma panasonic viera, and my wife thinks it's a bit too small and the OS (lol) on it has less functions than a NES.
I always liked the image quality, though.To the point that over the years I've frequently strolled down the TV aisle at a local supermarket, looking at the various new TV's and was seldom impressed.
This can also be entirely the fault of the supermarket not playing good quality footage on them. But I see a lot of weird artifacts in the new screens, they all look like extreme zoomed in iphone pictures that kinda look like oil paintings. Very sharp, but it kinda clusters similar colors together to get there. Maybe I'm just looking from too close by.

Anyway, any recommendations are welcome. The distance from the tv - couch is only 3,5 m/11,5 feet.
So I guess 55 to 65? I won't play games on it.

Currently in discount (these names are all done with a random password generator, I'm guessing)
SAMSUNG 65" Neo QLED 4K Smart TV QE65QN85CATXXN
TCL 55C845 55" QLED Smart 4K (2023)
PHILIPS 65PML9008/12 65" FULL LED Smart 4K
SONY Bravia KD55X85LAEP X85L

I think the mini led (tcl) kinda looked better than the newer models in the store. But this is probably because of crappy footage/me being old.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
What’s your budget

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

mrfart posted:

Hello goons.
I'm an old man and don't know what TV to buy. I've read the OP and various reviews online, but still not sure.
I have an ancient plasma panasonic viera, and my wife thinks it's a bit too small and the OS (lol) on it has less functions than a NES.
I always liked the image quality, though.To the point that over the years I've frequently strolled down the TV aisle at a local supermarket, looking at the various new TV's and was seldom impressed.
This can also be entirely the fault of the supermarket not playing good quality footage on them. But I see a lot of weird artifacts in the new screens, they all look like extreme zoomed in iphone pictures that kinda look like oil paintings. Very sharp, but it kinda clusters similar colors together to get there. Maybe I'm just looking from too close by.

Anyway, any recommendations are welcome. The distance from the tv - couch is only 3,5 m/11,5 feet.

Currently in discount (these names are all done with a random password generator, I'm guessing)

I think the mini led (tcl) kinda looked better than the newer models in the store. But this is probably because of crappy footage/me being old.

LG Oled

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

mrfart posted:

Hello goons.

Idk why people are being a bit unhelpful but agree a budget would be good.

Depending on the store they are probably sending bad video signals to the TVs or have them set up badly. Current ones have amazing picture quality, especially OLED screens.

How do you plan on getting media to the TV?

3.5m is a decent distance and if you have the space I'd go for a 65in+ screen.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

For my own part the TV I ordered is showing as "signed, delivered" in the tracker, but when I look for the consignment directly it's giving an invalid number error. Obviously there is no way to speak to anyone. gently caress!

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

mrfart posted:

Hello goons.

At that distance I think you'll be happier with 65". (I'm using 55" at 10 feet and it seems a little small.)

I'd suggest a Sony or LG OLED. OLED is self-emitting and it will have a picture quality that is qualitatively closest to your old plasma.

As an alternative, I'd suggest the Sony X90L (LED) or X93L (Mini-LED).

These aren't value sets (ranging roughly $1000-1800, with the X90L being cheapest), but overall I think these would give you the best experience.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Just got a Sony X90L myself and (after over a decade with a smaller, crappier TV) I'm very happy with it for the price.

I got 75" for an 11ft seating distance and it feels about right for our space. 65" would have been fine but felt small. 85" would definitely also be good, but perhaps dominate our wall a bit too much due to shelves and nearby hallway positioning.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

knox_harrington posted:

Idk why people are being a bit unhelpful but agree a budget would be good.

You gotta know if they should get a smaller LG OLED or a larger LG OLED.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

morestuff posted:

What’s your budget

Sorry for the late reply.

around 1500 max.

knox_harrington posted:

How do you plan on getting media to the TV?

3.5m is a decent distance and if you have the space I'd go for a 65in+ screen.

Media via dvr from Cable company? hdmi. (and :filez: through wifi, I guess)
Might go for 65 then. It seems to become the smallest size fast.

Thanks

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
If it’s not too bright a room, a 65” LG B3 would be a great plasma replacement.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

You could also try and find one of last year’s models on closeout. That worked great for me…

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

For my own part the TV I ordered is showing as "signed, delivered" in the tracker, but when I look for the consignment directly it's giving an invalid number error. Obviously there is no way to speak to anyone. gently caress!

Spoke to the post office who confirm the TV was delivered and signed for, the shop replied to my enquiry saying delivery was complete, see the attached documents (nothing was attached). So I think someone did manage to intercept the delivery of the TV. Incredible.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

You loving believe I bought it.

Man I swung by at lunch today to check this out, they have another at the same price. Not sure I could convince the wife though.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

Spoke to the post office who confirm the TV was delivered and signed for, the shop replied to my enquiry saying delivery was complete, see the attached documents (nothing was attached). So I think someone did manage to intercept the delivery of the TV. Incredible.

Check if the credit card you used to purchase the TV provides purchase protection. Some cards will reimburse you for theft within a short period after purchase.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Man I swung by at lunch today to check this out, they have another at the same price. Not sure I could convince the wife though.

drat, I've gone 3 times and no deal.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

SamDabbers posted:

Check if the credit card you used to purchase the TV provides purchase protection. Some cards will reimburse you for theft within a short period after purchase.

Yeah will do. I bought it on an Amex which I got in case something goes wrong with a transaction. Swiss credit cards generally offer quite poo poo protection from fraud.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

You could also try and find one of last year’s models on closeout. That worked great for me…

Might check the store for LG TV OLED 65 B3. Would be nice to be able to see it IRL in a decent store.
Prices here are significantly higher than in the US, I noticed, but that's always the case.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Sometimes it’s better to ask for forgiveness than for permission

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sometimes it’s better to ask for forgiveness than for permission

She's actually okay with it. I'm just not sure if I can find a good spot in my house, it's enormous.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Buy a bigger house. Bing, solved.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kri kri posted:

Buy a bigger house. Bing, solved.

*Points at title*

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Went to the store to check out a wall of televisions and now we're even more unsure.
Samsung oled looked hella bright.
LG oled next to it looked ok (couldn't see much difference between old one and evo).
Panasonic TX-65 had the best looking images, but it had different (and maybe better) footage playing on it.
But I'm poor and drat, that thing's pricey.

Some of the older dirt cheap leds looked weirdly good and had less reflection.

Sales end on monday. Oh well... maybe do another year with the old one.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You're going to be looking at this thing frequently and for a long time. Dust off your wallet and get a 65in LG OLED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Currently thinking about getting a Samsung qd-oled (s95c), if Canada ever gets a decent Superbowl sale (unlikely). Otherwise I'll just let the money pile up and get whatever the d model is this for this year, instead.