Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Behold, the many towns to visit in Phantasy Star III:

It's as if Milton Keynes was a solar system.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Kanos posted:

PS4's spell system is exactly like something like SMT's, where once you understand what the weird prefixes and element names are it's very simple.

For prefixes, Gi- is the mid level, Na- is the high level.

For elements, Foi = Fire, Wat = Water, Tsu/Thu = Light, Zan = Wind, Gra = Gravity, Res = Single target Healing, Sar = Multi target Healing.

So Foi would be basic fire, Gifoi is mid-level fire, and Nafoi is high-level fire. Gisar would be mid-level AoE healing, Nawat would be high level water, etc.

For other spells that don't fall into this, the really important ones are Shift(attack buff), Deban(defense buff), and Saner(speed buff). Ryuka is the warp spell and Hinas is the escape dungeon spell.

I remember PS2 had a handy reference sheet on the back of the included world map to tell you what all the techniques did and who could learn them; I'm not sure if PS4 had anything that convenient or if your only option was to look in the manual. (Of course, in PS2 the different attack technique types were just for flavour; elemental resistances and weaknesses didn't actually exist until PS4.)

The PS2 manual also had really over-the-top descriptions of how powerful the higher-level techniques were. Nagra was described as crushing enemies until nothing was left. It actually did about 70 damage, which was less than a normal attack with the best weapons, and was only learned by one character in the game at way beyond normal endgame levels, but that kind of stuff got me hyped up when I was 8 years old and first picking up the game so I guess it served its purpose.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 28, 2024

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kanos posted:

PS4's spell system is exactly like something like SMT's, where once you understand what the weird prefixes and element names are it's very simple.

For prefixes, Gi- is the mid level, Na- is the high level.

For elements, Foi = Fire, Wat = Water, Tsu/Thu = Light, Zan = Wind, Gra = Gravity, Res = Single target Healing, Sar = Multi target Healing.

So Foi would be basic fire, Gifoi is mid-level fire, and Nafoi is high-level fire. Gisar would be mid-level AoE healing, Nawat would be high level water, etc.

For other spells that don't fall into this, the really important ones are Shift(attack buff), Deban(defense buff), and Saner(speed buff). Ryuka is the warp spell and Hinas is the escape dungeon spell.
Sa- is actually a prefix too! Sa-Res (Shortened to Sar), Sa-Ner (there's an item which casts single-target Ner, which is not very useful, but it exists), and... I think that's mostly it.

It's from an era where you were absolutely expected to read the manual, though, so don't be afraid to look things up.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Behold, the many towns to visit in Phantasy Star III:

It's as if Milton Keynes was a solar system.

Not enough roundabouts

great username
Dec 28, 2023

Jesus. I had to have the guest healer drag my zombie rear end through the spider boss in DQXI, so I vowed to do some grinding when the Tentacular first kicked my rear end and even staying on top of everything you can still lose the fight pretty easily at level 25 or so. I was using the Luminary, Erik (that dot spell is amazing), Ronnie and Serena though, maybe Norberto (excuse me SYLVANDO!) / Jade / Rab would have a better kit, I haven't really explored their abilities that much yet.

I got the fucker but it was a battle. I think I get too jazzed on the idea of debuffing the boss instead of dealing damage. Serena's buffing powers helped a ton, but every time you whiff an attempt to debuff the boss its withering, but when you get him locked down it feels amazing. Great game, drat.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah debuffs are also annoying in that game due to multiple boss turns.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Did you get the assistance for that fight? For that fight and iirc only that fight you can get outside assistance from a villager who helps a ton.

For Yak8 the resolution to becoming full friends with the Alo-Happy woman is not sitting right with me at all and its dragging this down for me hard at the moment.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

great username posted:

Jesus. I had to have the guest healer drag my zombie rear end through the spider boss in DQXI, so I vowed to do some grinding when the Tentacular first kicked my rear end and even staying on top of everything you can still lose the fight pretty easily at level 25 or so. I was using the Luminary, Erik (that dot spell is amazing), Ronnie and Serena though, maybe Norberto (excuse me SYLVANDO!) / Jade / Rab would have a better kit, I haven't really explored their abilities that much yet.

I got the fucker but it was a battle. I think I get too jazzed on the idea of debuffing the boss instead of dealing damage. Serena's buffing powers helped a ton, but every time you whiff an attempt to debuff the boss its withering, but when you get him locked down it feels amazing. Great game, drat.

Do you find switching out characters useful in battle? I forgot that was an option and went a good 75% of the game before doing it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

great username posted:

The Tentacular boss is a tough one since it's a bit unclear that you can make the fight easier by talking to a specific character in town. Winds up being one of the biggest difficulty spikes in the game without it!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Over here in casual land, aside from those two griffins at the beginning while you're trying to find the Red Orb (Because I didn't heal before the fight) I didn't have much trouble with any bosses till late Act 2 in DQXI. I didn't even know you could have an NPC shoot the Tentacular with a cannon, I just beat it up normally.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

great username posted:

I never had any issues with anybody and the reason for that is Sylvando and Hustle Dance.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Phantasy Star! Whatever happened to that series, it was so good. We should be discussing Phantasy Star 14 vs Final Fantasy 18 by now, shame. Sega had wonderful stuff back then

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it became mmos

since sega wants to revive a ton of their old ips and turn based rpgs are in right now i don't think a phantasy star 5 would be out of the question honestly

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Phantasy Star! Whatever happened to that series, it was so good. We should be discussing Phantasy Star 14 vs Final Fantasy 18 by now, shame. Sega had wonderful stuff back then

Phantasy Star became multiplayer online action RPGs.

Which has turned out pretty good for Sega? I'm pretty sure PSO2 is the single most profitable title Sega's ever made by fathoms. Their marquee console RPG series has shifted to the Shining series in the wake of Phantasy Star's absence which... isn't nearly as fondly regarded as many other Sega properties these days. So maybe Phantasy Star dodged a bullet there.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they haven't made a new shining game in ten years though. and it never really occupied the same space as phantasy star, it barely even occupies a single consistent genre. if sega has a marquee rpg series it's yakuza

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

they haven't made a new shining game in ten years though. and it never really occupied the same space as phantasy star, it barely even occupies a single consistent genre. if sega has a marquee rpg series it's yakuza

That's true now, but for a long time it was Shining. Shining even survived Sega's big franchise pinch in the mid-aughts, if only just. It still got like 11 new console and handheld games in 12 years from like 2002 to Resonance in 2014, as well as a bunch of remakes. It's dead now but it was Sega's main RPG series for a decent while, when most folks just kinda act like Sega stopped making RPGs after Skies of Arcadia until Valkyria Chronicles.

They're also mostly pretty bad outside the Soul games and EXA, which people tend to forget when mentioning whatever new PS/Skies/whatever RPG you imagine Sega would have made in that timeframe. It's probably a small mercy that PS missed out on the 'Shining' age of Sega RPGs.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think the shining age of sega rpgs would have happened to phantasy star because the shining games of that era are uniformly extremely low budget compared to phantasy star or skies of arcadia. that's why sega pumped so many of them out. phantasy star's on the level of one of their more prestigious ips like sakura wars, the budget action rpg era of shining started as early as the saturn and way back there you already see the pattern of sega not really caring enough to even translate all of them

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 28, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
all of those games were also cheap contract gigs. it's less indicative of sega's internal ability to develop rpgs and more indicative of how rough their post-dreamcast downsizing was that outside of sakura wars, their main surviving rpg series only really survived because they were budgeting it that cheap. the shining soul games were basically just grasshopper manufacture picking up a quick job for some extra cash between silver case games

it's a far cry from stuff like phantasy star, final fantasy, dragon quest, tales etc. where every major entry was developed in-house. even shining resonance, the last one of those games, was just a contract gig taken up by a dying media.vision

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 28, 2024

great username
Dec 28, 2023

RareAcumen posted:

Over here in casual land, aside from those two griffins at the beginning while you're trying to find the Red Orb (Because I didn't heal before the fight) I didn't have much trouble with any bosses till late Act 2 in DQXI. I didn't even know you could have an NPC shoot the Tentacular with a cannon, I just beat it up normally.

Same! Live and learn...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it is a shame that phantasy star stopped being a single-player turn-based rpg series, however given that half of those original four games play like absolute dogshit, while PSO is beloved, you can't really knock the switch

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The 7th Guest posted:

it is a shame that phantasy star stopped being a single-player turn-based rpg series, however given that half of those original four games play like absolute dogshit, while PSO is beloved, you can't really knock the switch

Well that carried forward with PSUv1 and NGS

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Finished Kingsvein, it was pretty drat good! Are any of the other games by this dev connected storywise? Because I enjoyed the lore a lot and there were lots of unanswered questions

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
incredibly funny playing cave noire after beating void stranger and seeing just how much of void stranger was informed by the devs playing cave noire with a default black and white gameboy emulator color palette

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I need to play cave noire, it looks sick

but yeah especially the color select thing is so incredibly game boy

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well that carried forward with PSUv1 and NGS

Man, New Genesis dropped like a rock real quick. It was fun at first, novel, but the lack of content and focus on the grind (screw power levels forever) made me nope out and never come back. "Version 2.0" didn't make the necessary changes and improvements to draw me back in. It's a shame because PSO2 was so fun and content-rich by virtue of releasing outside of Japan so late.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

New Genesis is shockingly bad

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

booky said i should post the final result of me going through the entire 800+ jrpg tiermaker template, however i think i will get cyberbullied if i just barf it out full-size so i will just post some timgs

it's interesting what is still missing from such a giant list. no ara fell, no half-minute hero, no crystal project, no the last remnant (unless I overlooked it), none of Experience's games, several Vita RPGs like mind zero. but they do have infinite undiscovery. and a couple of indie RPGs on there that aren't even out yet like Oddventure, Other: Her Loving Embrace, and Oddity (which originally went by Mother 4 and has had so few updates that a subreddit dedicated to the game stopped allowing new posts as of 6 months ago, until any kind of new information were to be released). and also Moon which has RPG in the title but IDK if i'd actually call it an RPG so much as I'd call it Purestrain Love-de-lic

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 29, 2024

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

glad we managed to find the one person who liked alliance alive

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

glad we managed to find the one person who liked alliance alive
it was way better than i was expecting it to be, i really liked it. a little half baked in story execution but i really enjoyed the combat, and the idea of building up all the guilds

i'm not sure about its predecessor though, legend of legacy, which is getting a remaster this year but all the reviews I read back when it first came out was "every part of this is half-baked"

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 29, 2024

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

nice to see a fellow dragon quarter appreciator

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
My brother's theory with Dragon Quarter is that if it wasn't labeled a Breath of Fire series game, people probably would have accepted it a bit more readily.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There were a fair amount of players who just didn't jive with the battle system and even the notion of the timer that I think still would have bounced off of it without the Breath of Fire brand.
On a very surface level of aesthetics/setting it does always amuse me that the game came half a decade before Gurren Lagann, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neeksy posted:

My brother's theory with Dragon Quarter is that if it wasn't labeled a Breath of Fire series game, people probably would have accepted it a bit more readily.

It being Breath of Fire is the only reason I played it. The actual mechanics were so not what I was looking for Id never have touched it otherwise

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Dragon Quarter would have been better with all Breath of Fire elements expunged from it. The whole system with the dragon transformation in particular was just bad. If you knew the trick to maximizing your value from it, you could trivialize every boss fight in the game with it and not run the risk of hitting 100%. It was a binary win button that felt really bad to use because it removed, effectively, any real engagement with the gameplay. The late game difficulty curve was also a massive spike if you deliberately chose not to use it.

Also, if it's a Breath of Fire game, one of the things you're implicitly there for if you know about the series at all is in fact turning into a dragon all the time and here is a game that says "gently caress you, it feels bad to use in every conceivable way".

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Dragon Quarter is even better for being a Breath of Fire game, because the dragon transformation is so central to the game. It touches every aspect of it! It's a resource management game where you spend so much of the game fighting for every inch, knowing that at any moment of difficulty, you can make all your problems disappear... But how many times can you afford to do that? It's an amazing survival horror game, and if the dragon was any weaker or the consequences any lesser than the game would be lesser for it.

Sure, a lot of that pressure is illusory, because the game is fairly short and the dragon blows through basically everything in 7-9% of the meter. But the first time through, when you aren't yet sure of all of that, when you don't know what's ahead or how much of the dragon you still need, is a great experience. You've just got to be willing to let yourself be scared a little.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Einander posted:

Dragon Quarter is even better for being a Breath of Fire game, because the dragon transformation is so central to the game. It touches every aspect of it! It's a resource management game where you spend so much of the game fighting for every inch, knowing that at any moment of difficulty, you can make all your problems disappear... But how many times can you afford to do that? It's an amazing survival horror game, and if the dragon was any weaker or the consequences any lesser than the game would be lesser for it.

Sure, a lot of that pressure is illusory, because the game is fairly short and the dragon blows through basically everything in 7-9% of the meter. But the first time through, when you aren't yet sure of all of that, when you don't know what's ahead or how much of the dragon you still need, is a great experience. You've just got to be willing to let yourself be scared a little.

Actively discouraging the use of being a dragon through abusing gaming elixir hoarding syndrome in the game series whose whole gimmick is being a dragon is not, in fact, good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Obligatum VII posted:

Actively discouraging the use of being a dragon through abusing gaming elixir hoarding syndrome

That's not a real thing. Free yourself.

Also DQ is the best BoF game easily.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dragon quarter isn't just great, it's loving great

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Anyone else get Granblue Relink? Haven't gotten too far into it but the action gameplay's pretty fun if a bit simplistic at lower levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

not out until the 1st in US/AU I think