Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
That was an interesting weekend, but I'm pretty done with the current incarnation. I could grind the last few levels to 50 and build the hot/cold pal armor sets and capture more stuff but I can do that later when more major patches have gone in. Once pal assignment works and they aren't spending their time slowly wasting away because they clipped on top of something it'll probably have a lot more enjoyable base management.

Khanstant posted:

For single player content Id like to see places that need to be defended. The part of raids people hate is when their bases get destroyed. So just have some tower defensey areas where they give you X resources to setup the various defense things you never get to use, pick a handful of defense pals, and set them about the location or defense placements. Then send in the raids.

That'd be interesting but I don't think there's anything good about the current raids. They remind me a lot of the base attacks in State of Decay 2 where there were doors everywhere in every location specifically to enable an attack. When you do deal with raids by putting your base on a cliff (or, in SoD2, blocking everything with cars) then the raids become a non-issue. It all amounts to either an annoyance or a nonexistent mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
There's one minor benefit to raids - frequently they'll include capturable pals from areas you don't have access to at the level you're at, so they can serve as a variety injection. I caught an Incineram at level 15 from a raid very early on.

They're really not generally worth the hassle, though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Turning up damage done to pals creates an interesting dynamic. All pals take much more damage, including yours, so everything dies quickly, but your weapons are much more effective.

Could be fun for a kind of different playstyle

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Shuka posted:

Raid burned down my house and I absolutely refuse to deal with the bullshit construction in this game to rebuild it.

Turns out I never sleep at night anyways so it didn't matter at all

Are you me?

I was planning on moving my base anyway once I got my mining colony up and running.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Turning up damage done to pals creates an interesting dynamic. All pals take much more damage, including yours, so everything dies quickly, but your weapons are much more effective.

Could be fun for a kind of different playstyle

i did this so i could play as a big game hunter

now if there were an ecology update where you hunt pals to extinction...

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Booty Pageant posted:

now if there were an ecology update where you hunt pals to extinction...

Eco's got you covered

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah, the game definitely needs something to work towards end game because there's pretty much nothing new once you hit mid lev el. Maybe something like beating all factions changes the world state, like terraria's hard mode.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

DrManiac posted:

Yeah, the game definitely needs something to work towards end game because there's pretty much nothing new once you hit mid lev el. Maybe something like beating all factions changes the world state, like terraria's hard mode.

I think this is actually intended, based on what little story we have so far, and that if you try to go to the giant tree in the north west it's surrounded by a barrier but is actually in the game map.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm kind of in the same boat. Mid 30s, there is still stuff to strive for but the incompleteness and bugs make it a little tiring to play for long. Mostly the monsters loving up basic life functions at base makes me want to play rimworld some more instead while they work on their codebase

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Given the faction leaders have an intro and everything I'd wager there's a story/campaign here that just doesn't exist yet. There's a lot of bones here waiting for meat to be put on them and since it's the hottest drat game right now that'll hopefully happen.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of the leaders, I was surprised at the quality of their intro cinematics.
They clearly have some people that really like animating on board

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I want way more gear. For a game that sold itself as Pokémon with guns, there's a surprising lack of firearms. Hell, all the parts are there for just to get monster hunter style crazy with it.

I also wish the elemental triangle was a bit more complex.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Hopefully they can figure out how to code swapping ammo types. Carrying a fire bow just to use fire arrows is dumb.

Also more Pals as guns, excellent idea

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone mine with the ancient tech spear? It has more durability, weighs less, and only takes a few hits less than the refined pick to break rocks

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I desperately want a Makeshift Handgun schematic. If I could get my hands on a Legendary one, I'd finally have a use for all of this Coarse Ammo...!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kith posted:

I desperately want a Makeshift Handgun schematic. If I could get my hands on a Legendary one, I'd finally have a use for all of this Coarse Ammo...!

The musket also uses coarse ammo and is a pretty good boss killer imo. I keep mine on hand despite having graduated onto the shotgun, because it's still great to bust out for a massive headshot as the opening attack to start a boss battle and stuff.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Something I just discovered: if you're in a dungeon and you leave the boss room and come back, the boss room will spawn a different Pal. Useful for rerolling bosses into Pals you actually want.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Is there a point to boosting your attack? It seems like the worse stat to put points into.
I do health to get me up around 1k, a few in stamina(in case I gotta scale something) and most everything else goes into carry weight

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Let's Game It Out played Palworld. That guy is truly a genius.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Is there a point to boosting your attack? It seems like the worse stat to put points into.
I do health to get me up around 1k, a few in stamina(in case I gotta scale something) and most everything else goes into carry weight

definitely a huge waste

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Boosting Attack is worse than useless - it's actively detrimental. It makes tapping down target health without killing them harder, and eventually impossible.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Well this is awesome, about 80% of the pals at my first base are all starving to death because they're running off to a corner of the base and refusing to leave. If I pick them up and move them somewhere else they just run back. If I feed them manually they stay there, if I put them back in the back when I take them out they run right back.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kith posted:

Something I just discovered: if you're in a dungeon and you leave the boss room and come back, the boss room will spawn a different Pal. Useful for rerolling bosses into Pals you actually want.

Yes. If you don't want the boss, run back until you see the autosave notification and the boss will change into something else

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Figured if you dont want to deal with a raid...

just leave. Just walk out.

Or at least I've been warping to other bases / other warp points and it just sort of seems to go away on it's own after awhile without much impact?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Nyaa posted:

Let's Game It Out played Palworld. That guy is truly a genius.

This man is a treasure.

I wouldn't have believed that they grinded to level 46 with only 2 wood and a nerd pole if it was anyone other than the Let's Game It Out guy.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The rare times raiders get in my base they are instantly obliterated by 2 million elemental explosion.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kith posted:

Boosting Attack is worse than useless - it's actively detrimental. It makes tapping down target health without killing them harder, and eventually impossible.

This isn't really a big deal. Anything terribly weak can be either straight up full caught, you can chip it with weak pal moves(you can move swap mid-combat), or you can trample it with a ground mount until it's ready.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DrManiac posted:

The rare times raiders get in my base they are instantly obliterated by 2 million elemental explosion.

Yeah when my bases could still get them properly that was my experience. 15 pals drop what they're doing to make an sfx explosion I can't see through to even shoot a soldier and it's over.

Now my one coal base that gets raids spawns them on a beach across from my island and they wade through the water to bunch up in a wad in a corner and do nothing. If the pals are big enough they can get onto the island and get obliterated by level 4 mining demons, but usually I pop out my rhungervird and it aoes them down in one go.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Khanstant posted:

Yeah when my bases could still get them properly that was my experience. 15 pals drop what they're doing to make an sfx explosion I can't see through to even shoot a soldier and it's over.

Now my one coal base that gets raids spawns them on a beach across from my island and they wade through the water to bunch up in a wad in a corner and do nothing. If the pals are big enough they can get onto the island and get obliterated by level 4 mining demons, but usually I pop out my rhungervird and it aoes them down in one go.

Raiders are an amazing medicine delivery service. I haven't had to make any low quality medicine in ages. They just roll up, get obliterated by my flamethrower eagle and drop a bunch of free bullets and pills.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Does the :cumpolice: ASSAULT :cumpolice: status with guards teleporting on top of you ever go away by itself? Or do you just have to commit suicide to get things back to normal? I tried fighting back and eventually got to ASSAULT X5 with level 47 guards that took no damage

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It feels like at some point my pals just stopped getting sick entirely. I think managing Sanity well just stops that from being a problem?

My problem with raids is even with defensive walls, they sometimes just decide to phase through them, and because I'm level 40ish, the raids are all 30+ and tend to mow down my poor level 10-20 base pals who barely level.

I feel like Pal experience should be design such that it's really easy to catch pals up to your level (or close) - there feels like a somewhat limited amount of "good" XP in the sense a bulk of the XP comes from catching the first 10 of things - so once that drys up, it's going to be a pain to catch up your Pals. Like, my main set is lagging behind as-is. If I want to level something else, that seems like it's gonna be a pain.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

EorayMel posted:

Does the :cumpolice: ASSAULT :cumpolice: status with guards teleporting on top of you ever go away by itself? Or do you just have to commit suicide to get things back to normal? I tried fighting back and eventually got to ASSAULT X5 with level 47 guards that took no damage

Crouch and walk away and it falls off after a minute

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

It feels like at some point my pals just stopped getting sick entirely. I think managing Sanity well just stops that from being a problem?

My problem with raids is even with defensive walls, they sometimes just decide to phase through them, and because I'm level 40ish, the raids are all 30+ and tend to mow down my poor level 10-20 base pals who barely level.

I feel like Pal experience should be design such that it's really easy to catch pals up to your level (or close) - there feels like a somewhat limited amount of "good" XP in the sense a bulk of the XP comes from catching the first 10 of things - so once that drys up, it's going to be a pain to catch up your Pals. Like, my main set is lagging behind as-is. If I want to level something else, that seems like it's gonna be a pain.

Yeah just keeping good food and beds seems to avoid all sanity and health issues not related to bugginess issues.

Weird the raids are such a problem, even my.fiest base with no walls and low level pals managed just fine. Again why I think they need a more controlled environment for some raid gameplay since it seems to either be a weird nuisance people struggle with or a complete non-issue of free item delivery. Even weirder some bases just don't get raids at all, seems arbitrary.

If nothing else, let us build a flag that either signals "peace" or "come at me bro."

As for leveling, most of my pets out level me. Even guys who are just filler while I breed better versions. Breeding also generates XP and it's easier to get cake ingredients than it is to constantly churn through pal balls that fail. Plus you go catching while things are breeding and get XP when you go home as well as on the field.

Breeding also makes monsters, and if you get Lucky and Swift (and Ferocious!) on something start trying to crossbreed those traits onto other species.

Also doing dungeons, mineshafts, and bosses whenever you see em. Defeating one average level boss can take a level 1 hatchling to level 20 or 30. You should also have one guy around who probably kills everything so fast it's annoying, make sure you're using your pal souls and condenser.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
My starter base that I built near the first NPC, and was full of level 8-15 pals, when I was level 25, got raided by 6 level 32 Relaxaurus. They burst through like the Kool Aid man, it was a massacre. They murdered me, all of my pals, demolished my house, and destroyed all the furniture.

After that happened, I decided to pack it up and leave. Took 2 hours, and I had to leave 4k wood behind, but we relocated to an unraidable spot on an island that is round, flat and clear, and now we have a highly efficient base. So much so, that I’m going to relocate manufacturing from my second ore base to this base.

I got lucky with a black marketeer selling a cryolix, who I immediately threw in the breeding pen and got a jormuntide and a rhypen(sp?).

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

i recognise that this is an insane point but I'm a little disappointed that trees respawn so quickly. I should be able to completely despoil the environment with my industry

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There are a lot of easy ways to breed really good lategame creatures super early. I reccomend breeding a Faeleris, this giant speedy Phoenix Rooster ASAP. It's so fast it's gets air whooshes before even using sprint mode.

Vanwyrm + Anubis = Faeleris

You can make Anubis with pengking and bushi easily available as map bosses early. Or mossandra and katress, or nitewing and Rayhound.

Anubis are great to have around to work or fight with. They can also breed Quivern eggs with Crylinx if you want a big fat friendly dragon.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ZeroCount posted:

i recognise that this is an insane point but I'm a little disappointed that trees respawn so quickly. I should be able to completely despoil the environment with my industry

I hate them because they will spawn inside of breeding corral and break them, making you assign pals to tree instead of the breeding farm, sometimes even after you delete the tree. Sometimes I just deconstruct and rebuild it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

My quest to get at least one of each Pal in boss version has led to an unsettling discovery.

Boss Lovander is literally as tall as a house.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khanstant posted:

There are a lot of easy ways to breed really good lategame creatures super early. I reccomend breeding a Faeleris, this giant speedy Phoenix Rooster ASAP. It's so fast it's gets air whooshes before even using sprint mode.

Vanwyrm + Anubis = Faeleris

You can make Anubis with pengking and bushi easily available as map bosses early. Or mossandra and katress, or nitewing and Rayhound.

Anubis are great to have around to work or fight with. They can also breed Quivern eggs with Crylinx if you want a big fat friendly dragon.

Anubis rules both as a worker and an attacker. Shame that ground isn't a super useful typing lategame though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
55 hours, level 47, I think I might have hit the limit on current game enjoyment. I found myself spending most of the last play session just hanging out in base, going out to gather things like sulfur or HQ pal oil, and not really playing but mostly watching.

I've been playing with the gathering/drop rates maxed so I can easily obtain materials, but constantly run out as well trying to craft a huge excess store of ammo and legendary pal balls. I can only imagine how much slower the game is at the default resource settings for things like high quality pal oil. I also have no item drop on death as you can end up completely screwed if your flying mounts die in combat and you have no way to get back to any fast travel points.

I went ahead and upped the limit of pals to 20, but every single problem you have in a base that is anything but a wide flat area gets worse. Effective base building under the current system is either dead center to an empty flat dirt patch or built near resources you plan to automate the gathering off. Pals will change tasks too quickly when a job becomes open, blocking out the much better pal who was simply on a break. Running a kiln with a rank 4 fire pal is great but the moment they leave any other fire skill pal rushes to take over and then block it.

The Shiny pals size are a problem as they keep getting caught in ways the normal sized ones don't.

As far as resources go, I get the feeling we are at maybe 1/4 of the planned automated gathering stuff. There's a Pal called Flambelle which drops fire organs in the ranch, I am certain they plant to implement the other elemental versions of it. I would get wanting to keep some things as manual drops but bones and pal fluids are in such high demand that shouldn't be one of them.

I can't be sure but it really seems like the pals will work more effectively when you are in the base, notwithstanding having to reset pals who get stuck on terrain and just go hungry. I've experimented with placing a lot of different cooked food in the feed box(which needs a store space upgrade) and have not seen any difference in the pals behavior. Even between red and cooked berries, nothing I can actually tell is different.

The technology tree needs heavy refinement, mostly the cost of Pal research. I've skipped over literally all the building stuff and unlocking the new pal saddles/gear as I catch them gets real expensive real fast. At level 46 I have 172 tech points of things to unlock and 14 ? boxes. The only source of tech points I have found are dungeon chests that sometimes have tech manuals consumables that give 1 tech point on use.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 28, 2024