Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Struggling to complete Jins Combo Challenge 10 because I can't get b3 to connect after the second Wind Hook Fist. I just can't get his knee to make contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Started and finished story mode over the course of the afternoon. It's "better" than T7s but that isn't a high bar to trip over. It is however extremely over the top utterly loving bonkers from the word "go" and I did in fact find myself looking back at the earlier Tekken games and wondering how the gently caress we got to (spoilers) Angel Jin and True Devil Kazuya fighting with lasers on a chunk of rock in outer space. My advice to anyone holding back on playing it - I finished it on medium with a few losses in chapters 1, 14 and 15. It might be wise to look up a Jin string or two along the way since you'll be spending most of the story controlling him. Or just abuse the gently caress out of his f, f+4 since the CPU loves letting you land it.

Oh and some of the boss characters that show up in the story mode get unlocked for arcade battle (NOT ARCADE QUEST) as final bosses. I think. I've fought Devil Kazuya, then I cleared story mode and went back to arcade and fought Azazel and Angel Jin. The latter is by far the most busted PoS fight. Took a few tries but I finally shot a rocket salmon up his arsehole to win.

Story ending spoilers: There's actually two endings to story mode but boy they make you work for the bad ending. The only way I could get Kazuya to win the last stage of the last fight was to crouch and just take all the mediums he was throwing out and even then the game gave Jin a 50% heal after his health gauge emptied first time. Even so I'm fairly confident the good ending is the canon one, as the credit pictures show stuff like Feng Wei having murdered Leroy Smith in the bad ending as well we Kazuya tossing Jin off a cliff onto some rocks (of course), while the good ending left the door open for Kazuya to come back. The credit stinger with Reina revealing her devil gene opens up an interesting question of just how many devil gene carriers there are in the world as it doesn't end with just Jin and Kazuya.

Oh, and Jun was a big fat nothing in the end. All that hype for no screen time and a short crappy comic unlock.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

spiritual bypass posted:

Half of my online matches disconnect right when I'm close to winning. Are these ragequits? Everybody I play against has a 0% disconnect rate. Also, is there any way to see my own disconnect stat? I've never intentionally disconnected mid-match, but I wonder how these potentially random disconnects might affect me.

Are you playing on Linux/Steam Deck? I've been getting a lot of disconnects midmatch as well in ranked.

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023

spiritual bypass posted:

Half of my online matches disconnect right when I'm close to winning. Are these ragequits? Everybody I play against has a 0% disconnect rate. Also, is there any way to see my own disconnect stat? I've never intentionally disconnected mid-match, but I wonder how these potentially random disconnects might affect me.

(From T7, probably still the case) DC is only counted for menu exits -- so people will alt+f4 or pull their ethernet and it effectively invalidates the match. Dumb, since even if that happens legitimately I wouldn't want to play against someone who has those problems constantly.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trucker Hat posted:

Are you playing on Linux/Steam Deck? I've been getting a lot of disconnects midmatch as well in ranked.

Linux with a wired connection, yeah. Hope I'm not the one causing problems with my weird computer choices!
On the other hand, command throws and low kicks are my bread butter, so I like to think everyone is really mad about it

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I haven't had anyone DC on me mid match. Had some crashes trying to launch matches day 1 but thats gone now. People will occasionally alt f4 or shut off the console if losing a ranked match but it was rare in T7. Though in 7 I only played vs other xbox players. I have crossplay on for now but if I run into a lot of people playing on lovely pcs, alt f4ing a lot, or using macros then I'm turning that poo poo off.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 28, 2024

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This is my first Tekken game besides playing like Tekken 2 in an arcade a billion years ago. Why is the player lobby system so bad....And why is there like a 10 second delay for the spectator...

e: also if we do best of 3 the spectator gets booted after the first match and it won't let them view the second or third match.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

e: also if we do best of 3 the spectator gets booted after the first match and it won't let them view the second or third match.

I was literally coming here to ask if anyone else had this problem. Seems like a pretty glaring issue that I hope they fix. Otherwise to ensure people can spectate consistently it's gonna be best of 1 lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

eggrolled posted:

I was literally coming here to ask if anyone else had this problem. Seems like a pretty glaring issue that I hope they fix. Otherwise to ensure people can spectate consistently it's gonna be best of 1 lol

Yeah this is what we ended up doing, annoying but at least it's a workaround...But yeah I hope this is fixed soon,

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
In retrospect (story mode), If Kazuya got to fight Azazel then Jin should have gotten to fight True Ogre

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I gotta say, regular scrub, non-kbd movement feels way better in 8 than ever

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Check your graphics settings. For whatever reason it decided to use FSR 1.0 to upscale by default even though i have a 2080, which looks like absolute rear end no matter what. I switched it to DLSS quality and everything is perfect. Even if you need to upscale and don't have an rtx card, pretty much any option is better than FSR.

It wasn't even doing that, it had me at the most basic-option "bicubic". Thanks, this has actually made the game look a lot better and I don't seem to have a frame hit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

nothing personnell...

https://twitter.com/kevinmcolon/status/1750851298633675237

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

I gotta say, regular scrub, non-kbd movement feels way better in 8 than ever

Gotta agree. Also something clicked and KBD makes sense to me now. As to whether I'll be any good at it, who knows?

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Probably old news to most here but I just got an all-button arcade controller and WOW is it nice. I'm a lot more consistent with EWGFs and a lot of Kings moves that I was 50/50 on before. I got a Haute42 M Series but I feel like there's gotta be something with better ergonomics that doesn't have a boutique pricing like Hitbox. I just want something with the left hand/directional inputs being a bit more spaced out from the others.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Dr. Poz posted:

Probably old news to most here but I just got an all-button arcade controller and WOW is it nice. I'm a lot more consistent with EWGFs and a lot of Kings moves that I was 50/50 on before. I got a Haute42 M Series but I feel like there's gotta be something with better ergonomics that doesn't have a boutique pricing like Hitbox. I just want something with the left hand/directional inputs being a bit more spaced out from the others.

If you're up to putting it together yourself (it's really easy!) You can buy different plates from focus attack for some different layouts. You'll have to transfer all the components to a new case though so it's not perfect

RME
Feb 20, 2012

A ton of manufacturers have moved into the leverless market now, which is great because there’s a so many offerings with slightly different form factors and such but it’s also pretty hard to keep track of it all. I got my hitbox right before the explosion it feels like and I like mine enough that I don’t plan on replacing it soon enough but it feels kind of barebones, and I wouldn’t mind one that has a flatter profile and some of the extra non-essential Buttons natively since training modes these days are utilizing them for shortcuts.

Ultimately my point is it’s worth looking around a little bit, especially now that you have a clearer idea of what you want

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tekken 8 settles it that tea and coffee mixed together are the best drink. :hai:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Kazuya says some really badass poo poo in this game. Probably the coolest fascist I've seen in a while.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Been playing Tekken this morning and I started play asuka on a whim, and now I think I just really like playing asuka?? Harada????

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I still can't decide who to play. It's gonna take me forever just to pick.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

unattended spaghetti posted:

I still can't decide who to play. It's gonna take me forever just to pick.

Pick whoever looks the coolest (Nina)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

spiritual bypass posted:

Pick whoever looks the coolest (Kuma)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

spiritual bypass posted:

That means I can't pick Asuka because I have no idea what she's supposed to be wearing.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

spiritual bypass posted:

For real though she's on my list. It'll take me a while. I'm kinda ground floor on Tekken mechanics. Mashing as a child in the older games doesn't count lol.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

https://youtu.be/YEDLRTOjxcA?si=IWvae2TEwnde-3yn

Here’s a 3 hour YouTube showing every character and explaining them.

This made me wanna change mains like, 7 times unfortunately

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

https://youtu.be/YEDLRTOjxcA?si=IWvae2TEwnde-3yn

Here’s a 3 hour YouTube showing every character and explaining them.

This made me wanna change mains like, 7 times unfortunately

lol I immediately clipped this at the Kuma/Panda section when he fired off a combo that blew mine out of the water by a good 20 points of damage without using heat :stare:. Gonna try and dissect it later to get the inputs.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Weird Pumpkin posted:

If you're up to putting it together yourself (it's really easy!) You can buy different plates from focus attack for some different layouts. You'll have to transfer all the components to a new case though so it's not perfect

RME posted:

A ton of manufacturers have moved into the leverless market now, which is great because there’s a so many offerings with slightly different form factors and such but it’s also pretty hard to keep track of it all. I got my hitbox right before the explosion it feels like and I like mine enough that I don’t plan on replacing it soon enough but it feels kind of barebones, and I wouldn’t mind one that has a flatter profile and some of the extra non-essential Buttons natively since training modes these days are utilizing them for shortcuts.

Ultimately my point is it’s worth looking around a little bit, especially now that you have a clearer idea of what you want

Thanks for the input. I'm a little divided. My M Series is good enough that I'll be able to use it and get my monies worth I think. It has all the extra system buttons and as long as I hold it on my lap tilted bottom-up so that I can drape my hands downward over it I can play for longer periods without feeling the discomfort of having my hands jammed so close together and laid flat on a surface.

I'm interested in modding or putting one together myself but at the same time I think I just want to play more than anything. Last night I was thinking about what the ideal shape of a 3d printed housing was and today I found the ErgoBox but they aren't shipping currently.

The Smash Bros related leverless controllers look much closer to the form factor I'd want with the JFA LBX particularly looking ideal but it hasn't shipped in more than a year. I'll probably give it a little while longer with what I have and hope the Smash Style form factor becomes more common.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

spiritual bypass posted:

Pick whoever looks the coolest (Kuma)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I got a 8bitdo SNK pad and I think it might make me a pad player for this game despite enjoying it pretty well on my leverless. Unsurprisingly feels like the perfect 4 button fighting game pad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr E posted:

I got a 8bitdo SNK pad and I think it might make me a pad player for this game despite enjoying it pretty well on my leverless. Unsurprisingly feels like the perfect 4 button fighting game pad.

This is the pad I have as well! I really like it, its my first one.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Went 3-2 in my local launch tournament. Leo is good.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How do you find a local tournament?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

At first I thought Arcade Quest was going to be a much better, more concise (relatively speaking) tutorial than SF6's World Tour mode but I came away extremely unimpressed by it from the standpoint of someone who is new to Tekken (other than playing 30 years ago). It drip feeds you explanations of mechanics which would be great, slowly ramping you up in complexity, except IMO it does a piss poor job of explaining things.

Once I got the extreme basics down I hopped in online and havnet looked back, it's so much fun. No disrespect to Street Fighter but this definitely has a lower floor since mashing will probably result in at least something happening. Every match I've felt like I've learned something compared to my "forever-bronze wow my execution sucks what am i even doing" SF6 experience.

Really glad I bought this.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Trucker Hat posted:

spiritual bypass posted:

Linux with a wired connection, yeah. Hope I'm not the one causing problems with my weird computer choices!
On the other hand, command throws and low kicks are my bread butter, so I like to think everyone is really mad about it

Pretty sure it’s because of Linux. Tons of people online, including me and my deck, are having the same issue.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
blastedsalami imo puts out the best tekken guides (he does overviews and in depth), he edits a lot so itll take a bit of time for him to get to all the basics but has character guides are trickling out and very good and digestible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaaDQ-2U4F0

His t7 full roster break down was the definitive one and honestly you could still learn a lot about what t8 characters are about from this one still for legacy characters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ym-u3i6Ke8

Anyways not necessary to watch that since some info will be incorrect but definitely check his channel for the T8 stuff he's doing.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
As someone who likes Musou games, Chapter 10 was real fun. I mean, it probably isn't good, but the Musou alike segments were light and quick enough that they did not run out their welcome.