Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Animal-Mother posted:

What the gently caress was the point of this loving idiot's demonstration here, anyway? We wasted a whole poo poo load of masks? People sent in their dirty used masks, here they are? loving nonsense.

Everyone's a critic. Let's see you crank out high quality arts and craft for an hour each day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Bixington posted:

I'd like to earnestly thank everybody who dredges through the papers and highlights critical bits, especially Pingui. That cognitive analysis is loving horrifying.
:same:

caught up with the thread and loling and lmaoing at everything coming down to institutions / govs doing combos of 'hmm that thing that we thought was bad, it's bad 'and 'check out these tools you can't have'

and it's all expected, following the same patterns, and never changing lmao
:theroni:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Animal-Mother posted:

What the gently caress was the point of this loving idiot's demonstration here, anyway? We wasted a whole poo poo load of masks? People sent in their dirty used masks, here they are? loving nonsense.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Mao Zedong wrote poetry. Bill Clinton played saxophone. Winston Churchill and George W. Bush both turned to painting. For some politicians, only art can calm the passions after a long day — and Gov. Andrew Cuomo, now steering New York to a cautious reopening after the deaths of 32,000 citizens, has lately taken solace in the discipline of graphic design.
-NYTimes, By Jason Farago, July 14, 2020

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol what the gently caress was 'Boyfriend Cliff' referencing? I don't remember that at all

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Tzen posted:

lol what the gently caress was 'Boyfriend Cliff' referencing? I don't remember that at all

is that a reference to the lady in montana or wherever that pushed her boyfriend off a cliff lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

[squinting] wheres "kill all the old folks in nursing homes" i dont see it

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Tzen posted:

Not sure where the cliff part comes in exactly, but:

https://twitter.com/MariaDeCotis/status/1256263535686045697

Oh, I guess the cliff might be why he's "no longer with us":

https://twitter.com/MariaDeCotis/status/1326525211232055301

lol that second one was hawking his bestseller:

American Crisis: Leadership Lessons from the COVID-19 Pandemic Hardcover – October 13, 2020
by Andrew Cuomo (Author)
4.5 out of 5 stars 1,856 ratings

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Jan 28, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
oh thats right, the spaghetti and meatballs tweet. it was so deranged mentally i had that trump wrote it even though that would not make sense

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

On March 14, 2022, at an event to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising Cuomo came out stating his plans to create an organization that will be called: "Progressives for Israel", as part of his justification for this organisation, he stated "You cannot denounce Antisemitism but waver on Israel's right to exist and defend itself but it should be non-Jewish officials who speak first and loudest". Cuomo later declared "I am going to call the question for Democrats 'Do you stand with Israel or do you stand against Israel." This comes amidst speculation that Cuomo intends to run in the 2024 United States Senate election in New York.[282]

corrupt, killed old folks on purpose, sex pest, and pro-israel, just gets funnier that this absolute scum was every democrat's next presidential favorite for like a year

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Indoor Dying posted:

I got an email from the Bernie camp on this

We can’t turn our backs on people with long covid, but they are probably just mentally ill from the pandemic

Is it your position that depression and mental illness did not worsen through the advent of COVID?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

captain amab posted:

I know this probably isn't the right crowd to ask, but it's the only actual, serious covid aware community I'm aware of -- does anyone have any good covid-safe dating venue ideas? it finally got cold enough a few weeks ago to make going outdoors inviable, and while we have plans next week I've never felt like google's been shittier and I keep getting the same page of stale results no matter what I search.

look up outdoorsy orgs around you. I’m in a cold state, but the Audubon society and similar folks offer moonlight hikes, fire pits, hot ‘n’ boozey cider fests, stargazing, owl watching, etc. throughout the winter.

tbh, restaurants suck compared to looking for owls whilst lightly boozed up. as an American, it took me a pandemic to realize this.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Potato Salad posted:

Is it your position that depression and mental illness did not worsen through the advent of COVID?

It was close but then restaurants and bars reopened and everyone stopped sobbing uncontrollably, and they felt their sanity return more and more with each tray of appetizers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Insanite posted:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0048969724004819

quote:

The risk of infection of susceptible students per 45-min lesson was 1 %.

Yeah in the same way that the risk of a fatality of Julius Caesar was four and a third percent per wound.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
On the topic of long COVID, I've seen "Are you suffering from long COVID?" placards at four different medical offices in the last two months. They're definitely new, so I have no idea what's changed that this is suddenly something that providers around here are actually trying to get people to talk about it. They weren't advertising anything, just COVID-related versions of those signs to talk to your provider about some random health issue you don't know you have.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
maybe they figured out how to make money off it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

maybe they figured out how to make money off it

I was going to guess updated medical billing as well

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Animal-Mother posted:

spaghetti and meat balls

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Note that it is normal to lose lung function with aging, so a continual decrease isn't something per se (hence the continued decline of the non-infected in the figure). Variant isn't outright stated, but going by the time period most have been Alpha, with some wildtype. Vaccination status isn't noted but between mean age (56.2) and time frame (9 March 2020—16 January 2021), they were not vaccinated.
"Lung function trajectories in mild COVID-19 with two-year follow-up"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38271235/ posted:

Abstract
Objective: To characterize lung function dynamics in individuals with mild COVID-19 from pre-infection to two years post-infection.

Methods: We re-invited participants two years after infection from our matched cohort study of the Copenhagen General Population who had initially been examined 5.4 months after infection. We repeated lung tests and questionnaires. Linear mixed models were used to estimate lung volume changes in individuals with COVID-19 patients versus uninfected controls over two intervals: from pre-infection to six months post-infection and six months post-infection to two years post-infection.

Results: 52 individuals (48.6%) attended the two-year examination at median 1.9 years (IQR 1.8; 2.4) after COVID-19, all with mild infection. Individuals with COVID-19 had an adjusted excess decline in FEV1 of 13.0 mL per year (CI 23.5; 2.5), p=0.02 from prior infection to 6 months after infection compared to uninfected controls. From 6 to 24 months after infection, they had an excess decline of 7.5 mL per year (CI 25.6; 9.6), p=0.40. A similar pattern was observed for FVC. Participants had a mean increase in DLco of 3.33 (SD 7.97) between the 6- and 24-month examination.

Conclusion: Our results indicate that mild COVID-19 infection affects lung function at time of infection with limited recovery two years after infection.
(..)

(..)
In conclusion, our study found evidence of long-term lung function impairment among individuals who had recovered from mild COVID-19. The decline in dynamic lung volumes was greater in affected individuals compared to matched controls and persisted up to two years after the initial infection. Further research is needed to fully understand the implications of these findings, particularly as the global burden of COVID-19 continues.

Full study link: https://soeg.kb.dk/discovery/openurl?institution=45KBDK_KGL&vid=45KBDK_KGL:KGL&id=pmid:38271235

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I opened up a Youtube video in a private window because I didn't want it in my viewing history and I noticed that even though the video I'd watched had absolutely nothing to do with covid I got several anti-covid conspiracy videos in the recommendations side bar. Tucker fuckin' Carlson and that shitlord Dr John Campbell

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Rough read for the Psychology Today crowd. It ends on a cope node, but the bulk is purestrain doom:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/how-my-brain-works/202401/update-on-covid-19-and-changes-in-the-brain posted:

Update on COVID-19 and How It Changes in the Brain
COVID-19 is a systemic illness that often involves the central nervous system.

KEY POINTS
  • About one-third of COVID-19 survivors suffer from a variety of symptoms long after they were first infected.
  • COVID-19 can affect the brain, even in asymptomatic patients.
  • Brain fog is the most frequently reported symptom in COVID-19 survivors.
(..)

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
Anyone got a good source on cheap rapid tests? Fisher Scientific used to be my go to for ~$1/test but that link is dead.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
An unsurprising finding, but - considering the taboo - the more important for it. The effect isn't massive, but it is statistically significant and naturally long COVID sufferers are hit harder. It should also be noted that to be able to take the test at all, participants must have had sexual activity within 4 weeks, which presumably precludes some of the more heavy PASC cases (though it should be noted that there was no seeming difference between participation rates).
"The impact of COVID-19 and long COVID on sexual function in cisgender women"

https://academic.oup.com/jsm/advance-article/doi/10.1093/jsxmed/qdad155/7458909 posted:

Abstract
Background
Research suggests that COVID-19 impairs sexual function in men, but little is known about the impact of COVID-19 (or long COVID) on sexual function in women.

Aim
We sought to compare the sexual function of cisgender women who had never had COVID-19, who had COVID-19 but not long COVID, and who had long COVID, and assessed whether long COVID symptoms and/or emotional distress mediate the relationship between COVID-19 history and sexual function.

Methods
In total, 2329 adult cisgender women were recruited online as study participants. Half of these women reported having had COVID-19, and the other half reported never having had COVID-19. Of those who had COVID-19, 25% (n = 170) reported having long COVID. We compared the mean Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI) scores by using t-tests for each of the primary comparison categories (never COVID vs COVID and only COVID vs long COVID). Four path models were used to test the hypotheses that (1) long COVID symptoms or (2) depression, anxiety, and/or stress assessed with the subscales of the 21-item Depression, Anxiety, and Stress Scale (DASS-21) mediated the relationship between COVID-19 and sexual function.

Outcomes
Sexual function was measured with the FSFI, long COVID symptoms were assessed using the Centers for Disease Control working symptom set, and emotional distress was measured with the DASS-21.

Results
In total, 1313 participants provided data suitable for analysis. The never-COVID group (n = 645, 49.1%) had higher scores on the Desire, Arousal, Lubrication, and Satisfaction subscales of the FSFI (mean [M] [SD] FSFI total Mnever COVID = 27.98 [4.84] vs MCOVID = 27.05 [5.21]) than the combined only-COVID (n = 498, 37.9%) and long-COVID (n = 170, 12.9%) groups. The FSFI subscale scores were significantly higher in the only-COVID group than in the long-COVID group for the Arousal, Lubrication, and Orgasm and lower for the Pain subscales and higher for overall sexual function (FSFI total Monly COVID = 27.49 [5.00] vs Mlong COVID = 25.77 [5.61]. None of the proposed mediation models had adequate model fit.

Clinical Implications
Clinicians treating cisgender women who have COVID-19 should consider proactively discussing sexual function with their patients and offering available resources.

Strengths and Limitations
In this study we used a large and diverse sample, but this sample did not include transgender or gender-diverse persons. This study was also correlational; as such, causal conclusions cannot be drawn. Further, the mechanism of action remains unexplained.

Conclusions
The study findings suggest the following: (1) COVID-19 infection is associated with impaired sexual function in cisgender women, and (2) that women with long COVID experienced incrementally more impaired sexual function than women with COVID-19 who did not develop long COVID.
(..)
Sexual function
Sexual function was assessed using the FSFI,39,40 which consists of test6 subscales (Desire, Arousal, Lubrication, Orgasm, Satisfaction, and Pain) and has a total score that reflects overall sexual function. The FSFI has 19 Likert-style questions (eg, “Over the past 4 weeks, how often did you feel sexual desire?”) and requires that at the time of test administration the participant has had sexual activity within the last 4 weeks. Scores range from 2 to 36, and higher scores indicate better sexual function. In the original validation study, the FSFI demonstrated strong test–retest reliability (between r = .79 and r = .86) and internal reliability (Cronbach’s alphas were all higher than .82). Since then, the FSFI has demonstrated ongoing utility and validity [see Meston et al. (2020) for discussion]. A clinical cutoff score of 26.55 has been recommended41 and generally adopted, with scores below 26.55 suggestive of sexual dysfunction.
(..)

(..)

News article on the matter:
"Having COVID-19 and Long COVID Can Impact Women’s Sex Lives"

https://www.bu.edu/articles/2024/covid-can-impact-womens-sex-lives/ posted:

BU study finds long COVID has detrimental effect on sex, is associated with sexual dysfunction in cisgender women

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Potato Salad posted:

It did, but using isolation and mental illness in the same sentence like that is exactly how minimizers use it to focus on how the real problem with COVID is that people did anything about it because not going to brunch makes people sad and the solution isn't to improve air quality at brunch, the solution is to ignore the negative impacts of the plague that is still going around.

No, I'm not particularly salty right now about that specific line of thought that is pushed everywhere, no.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Thoguh posted:

It did, but using isolation and mental illness in the same sentence like that is exactly how minimizers use it to focus on how the real problem with COVID is that people did anything about it because not going to brunch makes people sad and the solution isn't to improve air quality at brunch, the solution is to ignore the negative impacts of the plague that is still going around.

No, I'm not particularly salty right now about that specific line of thought that is pushed everywhere, no.

bumming ppl out by accurately describing reality is a lockdown

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The mild virus you want to get.

https://twitter.com/killedbyproxy/status/1751280158814715934

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

'several years of "brain fog"' is an interesting way to say "permanent brain damage"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
please stop spreading misinformation; even the absolute worst cases in the data were only 3.6 years long

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

please stop spreading misinformation; even the absolute worst cases in the data were only 3.6 years long

lol I see what you did there

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

"Tell people the truth and they will do the right thing."

Narrator voice: we did not tell people the truth.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

On the topic of long COVID, I've seen "Are you suffering from long COVID?" placards at four different medical offices in the last two months. They're definitely new, so I have no idea what's changed that this is suddenly something that providers around here are actually trying to get people to talk about it. They weren't advertising anything, just COVID-related versions of those signs to talk to your provider about some random health issue you don't know you have.

it gets it on your health record so the insurance companies can deny it as preexisting in the future

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I hesitate to stock up on Paxlovid in advance because there are data brokers that aggregate your prescribing history and sell it to insurance companies to check against when you apply, for example, for life insurance.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Woodsy Owl posted:

I hesitate to stock up on Paxlovid in advance because there are data brokers that aggregate your prescribing history and sell it to insurance companies to check against when you apply, for example, for life insurance.

you? nah never. you follow cdc guidelines and the recommendations of your physician.

someone you know named max titers (uninsured and with no id, naturally) who shares lifesaving medication with people who are cleared safe to use it? max doesn’t give a poo poo what the cdc or your doctor say and won’t tell your insurance anything.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

I think the article is this :brainworms: one:
"Preliminary Findings on Cognitive Dysfunction in University-Educated Patients After Mild COVID-19 Disease"

'[url posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10757160/[/url]'Abstract
Objective
To investigate cognitive functioning in patients with higher education having post COVID-19 condition.

Design
Prospective cohort study.

Setting
Outpatient rehabilitation clinic.

Participants
Patients (N=38; mean age, 48.5y; 71% women) at the Cognitive Post COVID-19 Clinic at Danderyd University Hospital in Stockholm, Sweden, who sought health care because of self-experienced cognitive problems. All had at least 4 years of university education and an initially mild infection (ie, most were not hospital admitted, none were admitted to intensive care).

Interventions
Not applicable.

Main Outcome Measures
Cognitive test performance assessed with a comprehensive neuropsychological test battery including Information, Matrix Reasoning, Coding, and Digit Span from Wechsler's Adult Intelligence Scale-IV, Buschke Selective Reminding Test, Rey Complex Figure Test, Ruff 2&7, Color-Word Interference Test, Verbal Fluency, and Trail Making Test. The mean time between the infection and the assessment was 18 months.

Results
Cognitive deficits were evident on tests of verbal learning and memory (Buschke Selective Reminding Test) and selective attention (Ruff 2&7). Approximately 50% of the participants had scores lower than 1 SD below the mean in the norm group on the measures of verbal learning and memory. When estimated premorbid cognitive functioning was accounted for, deficits were suggested in most cognitive domains.

Conclusions
Post COVID-19 condition seems to be associated with cognitive deficits, even in patients with high education and an initially mild infection.

I don't know why anyone would expect a different result for people with higher education, which makes me eye it suspiciously.

It should be noted that this is a self-selecting cohort and not representative. On the other hand the news article notes that they have a steady stream of 5-6 new patients/week at the clinic from which the participating patients came, showing no tapering off relative to the 1k the hospital department already has a patients. Indicating that the number is much higher and continues to grow with infections, making a self-selection critique essentially moot.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Woodsy Owl posted:

Sure but any life insurance that plans on staying solvent is already going to be building estimated numbers of infections in to their models anyway if they intend on taking covid in to account.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
sure glad all the doctors and nurses are willingly nuking their brains repeatedly and constantly spreading the means to do so. if anything could be considered a final nail in the coffin of the idea of "progress" its the unraveling of centuries of it within the realm of sanitary and safe health care. why even bother washing your hands before surgery? just soak them in bourbon, and leave the rest to God

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mags posted:

sure glad all the doctors and nurses are willingly nuking their brains repeatedly and constantly spreading the means to do so. if anything could be considered a final nail in the coffin of the idea of "progress" its the unraveling of centuries of it within the realm of sanitary and safe health care. why even bother washing your hands before surgery? just soak them in bourbon, and leave the rest to God

Extremely anti-science to suggest you should waste bourbon on something that you can't even see, when you could use it to steady your hand instead.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
My professor has had a sore throat and weird cough for weeks and keeps making stupid mistakes and falling behind schedule. Correlation ≠ causation and all but no matter what being sick sucks!!! I'm way too old to be out of commission for that long, Jesus.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
and my streak is over.

symptoms quickly overnight. have a 12:30est appointment with seasame care for pax. Testing audio/video in the browser and only the audio works sooooo here's hoping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Insanite posted:

bumming ppl out by accurately describing reality is a lockdown