Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Got an M3 Max 40 core gpu version and it gets 30 fps in Dominions 5, not sure where all the social media hooting about how it rivals a RTX 3080 comes from.

Sorry, the only games that Apple acknowledges the existence of are Resident Evil and Death Stranding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Got an M3 Max 40 core gpu version and it gets 30 fps in Dominions 5, not sure where all the social media hooting about how it rivals a RTX 3080 comes from.
Where all social media hooting comes from.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Twerk from Home posted:

Sorry, the only games that Apple acknowledges the existence of are Resident Evil and Death Stranding.

How dare you ignore WoW!

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Generic Monk posted:

Is 300mbps on iperf3 a respectable wi-fi speed on an M1 Macbook air on Wi-fi 6, sitting next to the access point? Had to replace my router because it was failing and I realised I have no idea what realistic expectations are for wi-fi at this point. My iphone 15 gets ~600mbps on iperf3 but the specs say it has 2x2 MIMO so I guess it makes sense it'd be twice as fast?

Not expecting to get the full link speed or anything, I just want my SMB transfers to be as fast as possible. They always feel so weirdly laggy to start for one

e: access point is a TP-Link EAP610

I usually get 200-300mbps next to a Ubiquiti U6LR with my iPhone 13.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thanks both, it's much appreciated.

Sorry Bromance, couldn't find mine so hopefully the other person can.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Generic Monk posted:

Is 300mbps on iperf3 a respectable wi-fi speed on an M1 Macbook air on Wi-fi 6, sitting next to the access point? Had to replace my router because it was failing and I realised I have no idea what realistic expectations are for wi-fi at this point. My iphone 15 gets ~600mbps on iperf3 but the specs say it has 2x2 MIMO so I guess it makes sense it'd be twice as fast?

Not expecting to get the full link speed or anything, I just want my SMB transfers to be as fast as possible. They always feel so weirdly laggy to start for one

I'm getting 573 on my M1 Studio that's also next to the AP and 300 is usually around what I get on 802.11ac rather than 802.11ax from memory. Might be a good idea to just confirm you're actually connected on 802.11ax by holding down option and clicking the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Generic Monk posted:

What's your channel width? That's slow, but also completely sufficient. Your MacBook also has 2x2, only the cheapest poo poo doesn't at this point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

powderific posted:

Sorry Bromance, couldn't find mine so hopefully the other person can.

Very much appreciate you checking.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Mercurius posted:

I'm getting 573 on my M1 Studio that's also next to the AP and 300 is usually around what I get on 802.11ac rather than 802.11ax from memory. Might be a good idea to just confirm you're actually connected on 802.11ax by holding down option and clicking the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar:

Although today I'm sat the other way round on the couch and the peak speed has increased by about 90-100mbps:

So probably nothing much to complain about on the network side. I think what's annoying is the crappy SMB performance I'm getting:

20*8 = 160mbps which is like a 2x haircut on the iperf3 speed. Is the macos smb implementation just that bad? It's never been particularly great for me but when I've looked into this in the past I've been connected via ethernet which seems to smooth over the rough edges a bit. Even that performance from blackmagic seems a little deceptive since I've tried playing 4k films over SMB which cap out at about 60mbit, and I occasionally get buffering/pauses. The same share on a windows pc connected via gigabit ethernet gets near line speed.

I suppose I should try the same share over wifi on windows to see whether it's just a macos thing idk. I think my windows PC only does AC tho

Twerk from Home posted:

What's your channel width? That's slow, but also completely sufficient. Your MacBook also has 2x2, only the cheapest poo poo doesn't at this point.

Yeah I noticed after I wrote that that they mention it on the main iphone specs page but you have to go to a separate page for macbooks to see that yes it does actually have 2x2.

It was on auto, I changed the channel width to 80mhz on the 5GHZ network and this appears to have brought the iphone and macbook to rough parity when oriented in the same position. (iPhone gets about 50mb more but who cares).

Which makes this SMB performance even more strange:

I don't think this related to the wi-fi, I've had this problem for ages. Replaced network time machine with an SSD duct taped to the back of my monitor because it was so laggy it stopped being able to finish properly.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 31, 2023

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Keep in mind that if you are literally a foot or two from the AP, you're probably overloading the radio in your devices, both in the laptop/phone, but also on the AP. You might get better speeds if you step away a little bit.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve got an Akitio thunderbolt 1 dock with FW800 you can have, however I’m in Australia so shipping might be a bit pricey.

Edit: sorry, turns out the thing is dead and won’t even power on :ohdear:

Softcox fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 2, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm going to look through my cable pile today; I just had to find where I stashed my older cables but I found them.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

manero posted:

Keep in mind that if you are literally a foot or two from the AP, you're probably overloading the radio in your devices, both in the laptop/phone, but also on the AP. You might get better speeds if you step away a little bit.

Last test was done at a more sane distance thankfully

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Here I sit laying in bed watching videos on Youtube and listening to music while trying to fall asleep. M1 Air on my lap, earbuds in, been here for about an hour and the battery has dropped from 100% to 95%.

The efficiency and battery life on these things during daily tasks is loving amazing.

[Edit] I've had this M1 Air for two years too and the battery life still impresses me.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 3, 2024

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Every day I am reminded how much I’d love a M3 as my 2017 13” MacBook Pro sounds like a jet engine throughout the day.

I’ll just wait for M4 I guess.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I remember how I set up a 4-port 2017 13-inch rMBP for someone and then six months later they returned it and said they'd just keep using their 15-inch 2014 until a faster one came out.

It was full spec, 16 GB/1 TB too..

In my experience the 13-inch 2016s - 2017s were underwhelming / underpowered by Apple refusing to put quad cores in them; they literally were boat anchors at their release, and if you dared to upgrade them past their original OS (Sierra) that's when they would literally overheat just trying to get to the login screen.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Binary Badger posted:

I remember how I set up a 4-port 2017 13-inch rMBP for someone and then six months later they returned it and said they'd just keep using their 15-inch 2014 until a faster one came out.

It was full spec, 16 GB/1 TB too..

In my experience the 13-inch 2016s - 2017s were underwhelming / underpowered by Apple refusing to put quad cores in them; they literally were boat anchors at their release, and if you dared to upgrade them past their original OS (Sierra) that's when they would literally overheat just trying to get to the login screen.

The post 2015 mbps were a dark time. thank timb apple for the m-series

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Well thanks to this thread coming me in to the a Samsung Education store, and the current 25% off sale, I was able to get the Viewfinity S9 for $850, which is very palatable even if it has a few issues.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Ok team have an odd situation just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar. I have a M1 Max MBP in my home office connected to a 5GHZ wifi network downstairs. It's always worked fine getting around 110 - 140 MBps. Recently I've had major stutters and latency and testing on the same network I'm getting 7 - 12 MBps, but it's inconsistent. Sometimes it's fine sometimes it's unusable. Thinking back I realized this all started when I built a gaming PC in the same room. I've discovered if the PC is on - just sitting idle - the Mac 5GHZ performance tanks. They are on the same network, both wifi, cabling isn't possible. When I put the PC to sleep the Mac goes back to its previous good performance. I doubt there's anything I can do about this? It's not a huge deal now that I know what's happening, when the PC is on I'm usually gaming anyway and the Mac runs fine on the 2.4 GHZ network. Is my PC trying to murder my MacBook?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Do you have another router to try? Merely having multiple clients shouldn't tank performance that hard, especially if the PC isn't doing anything on the connection at the time, and it sounds more likely to be a router problem than one client affecting the other.

You could also go into the WiFi adapter's hardware settings and see if switching the PC to 2.4GHz mode only will help, but that doesn't seem like an ideal solution.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Eletriarnation posted:

Do you have another router to try? Merely having multiple clients shouldn't tank performance that hard, especially if the PC isn't doing anything on the connection at the time, and it sounds more likely to be a router problem than one client affecting the other.

You could also go into the WiFi adapter's hardware settings and see if switching the PC to 2.4GHz mode only will help, but that doesn't seem like an ideal solution.

Yeah that was my assumption, there's no reason the PC should have that effect. My router is probably garbage, never had a reason to replace the ISP provided one but there is now so shopping time I guess.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
also it didn't give the pc the same ip as your mac did it

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

squirrelzipper posted:

Ok team have an odd situation just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar. I have a M1 Max MBP in my home office connected to a 5GHZ wifi network downstairs. It's always worked fine getting around 110 - 140 MBps. Recently I've had major stutters and latency and testing on the same network I'm getting 7 - 12 MBps, but it's inconsistent. Sometimes it's fine sometimes it's unusable. Thinking back I realized this all started when I built a gaming PC in the same room. I've discovered if the PC is on - just sitting idle - the Mac 5GHZ performance tanks. They are on the same network, both wifi, cabling isn't possible. When I put the PC to sleep the Mac goes back to its previous good performance. I doubt there's anything I can do about this? It's not a huge deal now that I know what's happening, when the PC is on I'm usually gaming anyway and the Mac runs fine on the 2.4 GHZ network. Is my PC trying to murder my MacBook?

Do you live in a house or apartment? If you’re in a crowded area and a neighbour moves in or changes something that can have an effect, especially if your router isn’t great.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The router your cable company provides will usually be some garbage tier combo modem / router / AP with a slow CPU, it's better to buy your own router and hook it up directly to the cable modem. You usually have to call the ISP and tell them to enable the data port on the modem, depending on its configuration

The best way if you don't want to buy a combo router is to just buy a dedicated wired router and hook up dedicated APs into the router

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Is the new gaming pc near the router? Some usb3 stuff is very leaky, and can poison connections near it.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Thanks all - PC and Mac are in the same room upstairs from the router and it’s a house - I’m going to get a new router and see if that helps.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rawrbomb posted:

Some usb3 stuff is very leaky, and can poison connections near it.

Ugh reminds me of when I worked out years into owning it that the USB hub near my home automation stuff was why anything using zwave was absolutely hit and miss. I had no idea it was a thing.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Rawrbomb posted:

Is the new gaming pc near the router? Some usb3 stuff is very leaky, and can poison connections near it.

Not going to say it's impossible but this is usually a problem for 2.4G, not 5G:

https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/327216.pdf

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How do Mac Studios and Macbook Pros compare performance-wise if they're configured similarly?

I use my M1 16" mbp with 16gb and 1TB for some video work and I've started to run into, I think, excessive swap that's slowing exports to a crawl. Previously I could export at around realtime for 4k 24p end files. Now I'm working with some higher res source files (and will continue to from here on out) and getting about 5 fps export in Resolve and something even lower than that in Premiere. Both playback from the timeline totally fine. During export Premiere activity monitor shows upwards of 16GB of swap with yellow memory pressure, Resolve more like 8GB of swap also with yellow memory pressure. Swap use during regular timeline work in both is much less bad and performance seems OK though there's some yellow memory pressure.

The slow exports aren't gonna fly for me so I need some kind of upgrade. Trying to figure out whether it makes more sense to add a Studio or trade off the current 16" for an M3 (or something else?) Probably looking at either an M2 Max studio with 64gb of ram and 1TB ssd, or a 16" M3 Max with 64gb of ram and 1TB ssd.

What I'm not sure of is how the studio's desktop power and cooling on M2 Max compares to a laptop with the generational upgrades of an M3 Max. One random youtube person had Resolve export out of and M2 max studio at twice the speed of a loaded M3 max mbp, but I'm not sure if that's a realistic result of better cooling or they messed something up during the test or misreported specs and the M2 is an Ultra.

If the M3 with could roughly keep up with the M2 I'd probably go that way as it's useful to me to be able to export in the field, but if the M2 studio is actually going to be fully twice as fast on export I could probably deal for the benefits when I'm in the office.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

powderific posted:

How do Mac Studios and Macbook Pros compare performance-wise if they're configured similarly?

I use my M1 16" mbp with 16gb and 1TB for some video work and I've started to run into, I think, excessive swap that's slowing exports to a crawl. Previously I could export at around realtime for 4k 24p end files. Now I'm working with some higher res source files (and will continue to from here on out) and getting about 5 fps export in Resolve and something even lower than that in Premiere. Both playback from the timeline totally fine. During export Premiere activity monitor shows upwards of 16GB of swap with yellow memory pressure, Resolve more like 8GB of swap also with yellow memory pressure. Swap use during regular timeline work in both is much less bad and performance seems OK though there's some yellow memory pressure.

The slow exports aren't gonna fly for me so I need some kind of upgrade. Trying to figure out whether it makes more sense to add a Studio or trade off the current 16" for an M3 (or something else?) Probably looking at either an M2 Max studio with 64gb of ram and 1TB ssd, or a 16" M3 Max with 64gb of ram and 1TB ssd.

What I'm not sure of is how the studio's desktop power and cooling on M2 Max compares to a laptop with the generational upgrades of an M3 Max. One random youtube person had Resolve export out of and M2 max studio at twice the speed of a loaded M3 max mbp, but I'm not sure if that's a realistic result of better cooling or they messed something up during the test or misreported specs and the M2 is an Ultra.

If the M3 with could roughly keep up with the M2 I'd probably go that way as it's useful to me to be able to export in the field, but if the M2 studio is actually going to be fully twice as fast on export I could probably deal for the benefits when I'm in the office.

Are you sure the comparisons you're looking at are between Max machines and not a value comparison between a Max MBP and an Ultra Mac Studio?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I could only find one comparison of this specific pair and they claim it’s the max but I very much suspect it’s an ultra; I just don’t know as an hour long export also seems like enough that thermals could really play a part.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Max in the 16" chassis should not perform much different from Max in the Studio chassis, there's a very good chance that was an ultra as you suspect.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Clarified with the guy and he was using an M2 Max not ultra Mac Studio with the 38 core GPU and 64gb ram vs an m3 Mac MacBook Pro 16” with 128gb of ram. Other tests didn’t show that kind of huge difference so I think resolve export must have really heat soaked the MacBook.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anywhere happen to have a good clearance on a Macbook M2 Pro 14"? 32gb 1tb preferrable. Looks like I missed some good deals at B&H

zhar
May 3, 2019

The external hard drive I use for time machine backups suddenly stopped mounting. I could see it in disk utility but it wouldn't mount and I couldn't run first aid. Same on another mac, it popped the decryption box but no mount, and on a non-mac it showed up but I didn't want to deal with finding something to try to decrypt apfs on another os.

I managed to format and set it up as a backup disk again fine with disk utility but I'm not sure if this implies some issue like a bad sector (I can run first aid now with no issues detected but idk how exhaustive it is) and I obviously do not want this to happen again if I want to use it to actually recover data. Anyone have any ideas?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Get a new backup drive. Sounds like that one is failing.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Still no M3 studio yet? i'd like to replace my 2018 mini that sounds like a jet engine every time I need to use a vm and do a teams call

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

track day bro! posted:

Still no M3 studio yet? i'd like to replace my 2018 mini that sounds like a jet engine every time I need to use a vm and do a teams call

Probably WWDC, so June

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Technically not Mac hardware since it's a third-party accessory, but I've got a Satechi stand & hub for Mac mini that has a slot for a sata m.2 SSD and I'm curious if anyone has this and a preferred m.2 drive for it. Satechi just released an NVMe model, but I'm not replacing this thing a month and a half after I got it, so I'm "stuck" with SATA over a 5 Gbps a USB-C connection. Probably want a 1TB or 2TB drive, since this Mac mini is my now my primary desktop system, relegating my PC to gaming and file hosting only. I guess I'm just looking for a brand/model recommendation for reliability since all the m.2 drives I've ever bought have been NVMe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I personally have been using a number of the SK Hynix Gold P31 1TBs and 2TBs, and really like them a lot. They're Gen 3 NVME, so you'd be overpaying a little, but if you ever did go to an NVME enclosure with it, it'd be ready. Obviously it's not the fastest drive around since it's Gen 3, but they've been reliable and also run fairly cool.

I actually saw that Stand & Hub from Satechi and was tempted, but I've had mixed results with Satechi-branded hardware. About half of the chargers I've bought from them over the last few years, failed around or just after a year, so I swore them off. However, they're still getting good reviews, and I picked up their new Mac-focused TKL mechanical keyboard to try that they announced at CES.