Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

withak posted:

I’d be ok with using a float and we can generously round down when necessary.

Nah, we need unlimited magnitude and precision no matter the memory or processing time cost. We need to use biglynum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
"As President of the United States, my debts are the nation's debts. And because the validity of the debts of the United States must be guaranteed, the American public must shoulder the burden of this judgment. And though this lying woman who I have never met for the seventy-third time continues to get away with it, I know the American people are strong and can work off this 648.32 quadrillion dollar judgement."

-Donald Trump, February 21st, 2024

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Staluigi posted:

I'm all about leaving myself open to the possibility that he is truly actually dumb enough to do this to himself until he dies

We are talking about a guy who still has no idea who the woman to whom he's lost multiple multi-million dollar defamation lawsuits is.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I hope we hear about the NYC case sometime this week. I can't wait to see how much he owes, and when he'll lose everything. The MAGA chuds will probably somehow spin his loss to be a good thing or something like that. They won't admit that he's a crook.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It’s supposed to come down before Wednesday.

And what the gently caress is taking the DC Circuit so long?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

John Yossarian posted:

I hope we hear about the NYC case sometime this week. I can't wait to see how much he owes, and when he'll lose everything. The MAGA chuds will probably somehow spin his loss to be a good thing or something like that. They won't admit that he's a crook.

Nah, they’ll declare the whole thing null and void because the system is rigged or something

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah to them it'll be even more proof he's a crusading hero who really is trying to shake things up. Biden/The Deep State/RINOs/whoever are punishing him for his previous efforts to do so and sabotaging his efforts to try again.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Gyges posted:

We are talking about a guy who still has no idea who the woman to whom he's lost multiple multi-million dollar defamation lawsuits is.
In a sane world, being intentionally ignorant about someone who's costing you a shitload of money would be considered a bad thing but since intentional ignorance is something his base requires to function, well

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah to them it'll be even more proof he's a crusading hero who really is trying to shake things up. Biden/The Deep State/RINOs/whoever are punishing him for his previous efforts to do so and sabotaging his efforts to try again.
"The system is massively unfair to me, a billionaire effectively born that way who spent my entire life doing whatever the gently caress I want"
Which would seem massively unfair to an enormous narcissist the moment their ability to do that stops really

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 28, 2024

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

John Yossarian posted:

They won't admit that he's a crook.

At this point interviews indicate they know he's a crook but don't care. A substantial portion of the electorate wants a fascist dictator who rapes women and promises to deport brown people without due process.

Make sure you vote.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Ynglaur posted:

At this point interviews indicate they know he's a crook but don't care. A substantial portion of the electorate wants a fascist dictator who rapes women and promises to deport brown people without due process.

Make sure you vote.
Caring might possibly make them want to... well, basically make their version of this thread in a different medium. Of course show me someone who's taken the time to comb through and refute the legal arguments on behalf of Trump and I'll show you someone who's getting paid to do it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

It’s this. They’ve already spun the Carroll trials about it being a Biden White House orchestrated conspiracy despite that the events happened in the 90s, the first suit was brought while trump was president and the second suit was brought based on his clear recent statements in a state court.

Add it all up and it’s obviously Biden pushing the strings.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Xiahou Dun posted:

And what the gently caress is taking the DC Circuit so long?

Either:

A) the judges agree on the major issues and are sending memos back and forth about specific statements, paragraphs, etc in a draft opinion;

or

B) the votes are in and one judge who disagrees is drafting a concurrence/dissent. And similarly emailing memos back and forth;

or

C) one of these two has happened and the clerks are emailing memos back and forth checking individual case cites and fixing typos and other clean-up.

Courts only move quickly when they have to. If nobody’s strapped to an execution gurney or bulldozers aren’t literally moving in, folks still go home at 5:30.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Courts only move quickly when they have to. If nobody’s strapped to an execution gurney or bulldozers aren’t literally moving in, folks still go home at 5:30.

Unless they start late should be 5:00. DC circuit judges need a better union.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah better not move quickly on these cases that could decide the future of the nation. :rolleyes:

Also, Trump.. did tax fraud??!

Surely no one saw this coming or should have saw this coming literally decades ago.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

Surely no one saw this coming or should have saw this coming literally decades ago.

Some day, probably about 20 years from now, someone’s going to hit some successful FOIA requests about meetings Trump had with IRS leadership and internal memoranda generated from that basically destroying any investigations up to and around that time period and the worlds is going to gasp and tut tut.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Gyges posted:

this is another reason why my brain probably shifted into the "gently caress, he ain't got it anymore" interpretation whenever i watch his sad rear end on video

his denials are just slurred notme poo poo these days. gets on video in his blasted out bronzer and you get 10 minutes of him goin on about he doesn't know where that bundle of copper pipes and wire came from, and he was just holding on to that catalytic converter for his cousin

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Murgos posted:

Some day, probably about 20 years from now, someone’s going to hit some successful FOIA requests about meetings Trump had with IRS leadership and internal memoranda generated from that basically destroying any investigations up to and around that time period and the worlds is going to gasp and tut tut.
The Freedom of Information Act is only a thing in UK law.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

pumpinglemma posted:

The Freedom of Information Act is only a thing in UK law.

What? It exists in the US as well.

https://www.foia.gov/

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
FOIA is used for getting your college's football coach fired and nothing else

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Nervous posted:

Well poo poo, turns out I'm an idiot today. Sorry!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Nervous posted:

It even predates the UK one by like 30 years!

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

Well poo poo, turns out I'm an idiot today. Sorry!

Your punishment shall be to firever salt your tea!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Jesus III posted:

Your punishment shall be to firever salt your tea!

Worse, you must now become a coffee drinker

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

Worse, you must now become a coffee drinker

No, now when they mean tea they mean sweet tea.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

C. Everett Koop posted:

No, now when they mean tea they mean sweet tea.

A little salt really makes caramel taste better, let's throw some salt in that sweet tea and see if we can't get our blood pressure and blood sugar levels to compete.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jesus III posted:

Your punishment shall be to firever microwave your tea!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You also have to swap to putting your milk in first or last, whichever is more offensive to you

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah better not move quickly on these cases that could decide the future of the nation. :rolleyes:

These cases are not going to decide the future of the nation. And even if they were, the court still shouldn't be going out of its way to do things differently because their target is a political candidate in an upcoming election.

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

These cases are not going to decide the future of the nation. And even if they were, the court still shouldn't be going out of its way to do things differently because their target is a political candidate in an upcoming election.

I feel like the courts determining issues related to that political candidates ability to run in that upcoming election should push them to do things differently or more quickly than usual, as their rulings will affect the upcoming election itself.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Captain Melo posted:

I feel like the courts determining issues related to that political candidates ability to run in that upcoming election should push them to do things differently or more quickly than usual, as their rulings will affect the upcoming election itself.

There is no question related to Trump's ability to run before the DC Circuit.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
A Republican retired judge in Illinois has issued an opinion that Trump has engaged in insurrection, should not be disqualified from the ballot

I feel as if this hairsplitting will continue due to people not wanting to make the decision themselves. Specifically the judge's opinion is that it should be up to the courts and not the Illinois Board of Elections. As background, the Hearing Officer (the retired judge, in this case) provides the board with a recommendation but the board is not bound by the recommendation.

Starting from the conclusion:

quote:

In the event that the Board decides to not follow the Hearing Officer’s recommendation to grant the Candidate’s Motion to Dismiss, the Hearing Officer recommends that the Board find that the evidence presented at the hearing on January 26, 2024 proves by a preponderance of the evidence that President Trump engaged in insurrection, within the meaning of Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment, and should have his name removed from the March, 2024 primary ballot in Illinois.

The reasoning for the recommendation to grant Trump's motion to dismiss:

quote:

1. While the timeline for conducting a hearing and issuing findings is similar in both the Illinois election code and the Colorado election code, there are substantial differences, at least in terms of handling identical objections involving Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment;

2. In Colorado a trial judge hears evidence at a hearing while in Illinois, the Board conducts the hearing, typically through an appointed hearing officer;

3. The instant Illinois case, 24 SOEB GP 517, was called on January 18, 2024, the same day a hearing officer was appointed to handle the case. with hearing set on January 26, 2024. As described in Appendix A, above, a mad scramble of motions, responses and replies then took place, between January 19 and January 25. The hearing was held on the 26th, with an opinion expected to be filed by the hearing officer in advance of the Election Board hearing set for January 30th. There was no opportunity for meaningful discovery or subpoena of witnesses;

4. The Colorado hearing did not take place for nearly two months following the initial filing of the objection. The hearing lasted more than a week, with a full week devoted to taking testimony. At the hearing, several witnesses testified, including an expert witness in Constitutional law by each party; thereafter, closing arguments were held and a decision was rendered several days later;

5. Illinois law, including the Supreme Court decisions of Goodman and Delgado prohibit the Election Board from addressing issues involving constitutional analysis.

And in favor of disqualification

quote:

1. It is a unique feature of the Rules of Procedure that the final decision on dispositive motions, such as the Motion to Dismiss, are to be made by the Board. Inasmuch as the Board may decline to follow the Hearing Officer’s recommendation, and that evidence has been received on the Objector’s Petition, it is incumbent upon the hearing officer that he makes findings on the evidence received at the hearing and make a recommendation to the Board regarding a decision based on the evidence.

2. The Hearing Officer has received into evidence for consideration numerous exhibits. This evidence also includes the trial testimony heard in the case of Anderson v.Griswold, 2023 Co 63 (2023).

3. The Hearing Officer, pursuant to the Stipulated Order Regarding Trial Transcripts and Exhibits from the Colorado Action, has reviewed the entire transcript, consisting of several hundred pages, and finds while the hearing/trial did not afford all the benefits of a criminal trial, (e.g., right to trial by jury; proponent bearing a burden of beyond a
reasonable doubt), the proceedings was conducted in a fashion that guaranteed due process for President Trump: parties had the benefit of competent counsel, the right to subpoena witnesses and the right to cross-examine witnesses. The proceeding was conducted in an open and fair manner, with no undue time restrictions that would effect the length of testimony on direct or cross. The parties clearly took advantage of the fact that they were not constrained by the typical expedited manner in which election challenges are normally carried out in Colorado. In fact, one dissenting justice on the Supreme Court commented on the greatly relaxed time frame, in response to the majority claim that the hearing was held in substantial compliance with the statute, by stating that if what the majority claimed was substantial compliance, then that meant that substantial compliance included no compliance at all. In comparison to the Illinois procedure, the parties had several weeks to prepare for hearing. The result was that the witnesses included two constitutional law professors, with specialty in the history of the Fourteenth Amendment. Further, the lead investigator for the House Select Committee investigating the January 6 Attack upon the United States Capitol testified. A signed copy of the stipulation regarding testimony taken at the Colorado hearing has been transmitted to the General Counsel.

4. Hearing Officer finds that the January 6 Report, including its findings, may properly be considered as evidence, as it was by the Colorado trial court, based on Illinois Rule of Evidence 803(8), as well as the relaxed rules of evidence at an administrative hearing. Hearing Officer further finds, after reviewing the Report, that it is a trustworthy report, the result of months of investigation conducted by professional investigators and a staff of attorneys, many of whom with substantial experience in federal law enforcement. The findings of the Report are attached to this opinion.

5. Ultimately, even when giving the Candidate the benefit of the doubt wherever possible, in the context of the events and circumstances of January 6, 2024, the Hearing Officer recommends that the Board find in favor of the Objectors on the merits by a preponderance of the evidence. While the Candidate’s tweets to stay peaceful may give the candidate plausible deniability, the Hearing Officer does not find that denial credible in light of the circumstances. Dr. Simi’s testimony in the Colorado trial court provides a basis for finding that the language used by the candidate was recognizable to elements attending the January 6 rally at the ellipse as a call for violence upon the United States Capitol, the express purpose of the violence being the furtherance of the President’s plan to disrupt the electoral count taking place before the joint meeting of Congress.

6. The evidence shows that President Trump understood the divided political climate in the United States. He understood and exploited that climate for his own political gain by falsely and publicly claiming the election was stolen from him, even though every single piece of evidence demonstrated that his claim was demonstrably false. He used these false claims to garner further political support for his own benefit by inflaming the emotions of his supporters to convince them that the election was stolen from him and that American democracy was being undermined. He understood the context of the events of January 6, 2021 because he created the climate. At the same time he engaged in an elaborate plan to provide lists of fraudulent electors to Vice President Pence for the express purpose of disrupting the peaceful transfer of power following an election.

7. Even though the Candidate may not have intended for violence to break out on January 6, 2021, he does not dispute that he received reports that violence was a likely possibility on January 6, 2021. Candidate does not dispute that he knew violence was occurring at the capitol.. He understood that people were there to support him. Which makes one single piece of evidence, in this context, absolutely damning to his denial of his participation: the tweet regarding Mike Pence’s lack of courage while Candidate knew the attacks were going on is inexplicable. Candidate knew the attacks were occurring because the attackers believed the election was stolen, and this tweet could not possibly have had any other intended purpose besides to fan the flames. While it is true that subsequently, but not immediately afterwards, Candidate tweeted calls to peace, he did so only after he had fanned the flames. The Hearing Officer determines that these calls to peace via social media, coming after an inflammatory tweet, are the product of trying to give himself plausible deniability. Perhaps he realized just how far he had gone, and that the effort to steal the election had failed because Vice President Pence had refused to accept the bag of fraudulent electors. It was time to retreat, with a final tweet telling the nation that he loved those who had assembled and attacked the Capitol.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 28, 2024

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Lol Trump is going to get out of all his current legal troubles with a vastly reduced fortune and then this case will hit for back taxes and wipe the rest out. God I hope he dies penniless.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Murgos posted:

I hate how they all just lie about what just happened all the damned time.

It’s just gotten to be standard practice now to just ignore what we all observed and just make something up.

But enough about [politics subforum] posters.

Lammasu posted:

No, Elon tried to pay a masseuse for a hand job with a horse. gently caress, forget bitcoin. Horses are the future of currency.

Bit-and-bridle-coin.

Ms Adequate posted:

No, it's a Mr Handsjob

Please, Mr Handsjob is my father.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

D-Pad posted:

Lol Trump is going to get out of all his current legal troubles with a vastly reduced fortune and then this case will hit for back taxes and wipe the rest out. God I hope he dies penniless.

It is now public knowledge that Trump committed some level of tax fraud, never mind the states with the actual documents where they can say "well you claimed Trump Tower was worth fourteen cents and a used tomato sandwich to the property tax assessor, and told the banks it was worth ten billion"

The moment his bank valuations were disclosed the tax cases became inevitable

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

D-Pad posted:

I assume he was largely failing in the way that large businesses with lots of tangible assets fail. Just kind of limping along net neutral or slightly negative income most years living on loans and the occasional year that manages to show a small profit and even that was likely predicated on some sort of tax or bank fraud scheme.

And then he got elected and his empty clubs filled up and his empty hotels filled up and his empty restaurants filled up all with marks or people looking for favors or from his own directed policies.

And like countless businesses with bad management they probably assumed this would go on for ever and they made some very unsustainable decisions.

Even without half a billion in lawsuit damages I bet his business is failing if he doesn’t get re-elected.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Staluigi posted:

I'm all about leaving myself open to the possibility that he is truly actually dumb enough to do this to himself until he dies

Can you imagine the sheer schadenfreude of seeing him croak of apoplexy mid-verdict and then his kids' face when the estate still gets raked over the coals for punitive damages?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Dying would reduce punitive damages I guess, don't need to dissuade a corpse!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I appreciate the world giving us a whole day to enjoy the defamation verdict before putting its foot back on the accelerator with his $50mn tax fraud right before Engoron makes his decision.

I have seen in the Independent that lawfolks are worried about setting precedent in the Tish James lawsuit, specifically that all prior business dissolutions have been to prevent ongoing harm to victims. James herself has requested that Trump's businesses be put under a state-appointed monitor for five years before making a decision on dissolution.

So that's the likely outcome for Engoron to sign on to, although hopefully he also gives the $350mn fine too.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Tesseraction posted:

I appreciate the world giving us a whole day to enjoy the defamation verdict before putting its foot back on the accelerator with his $50mn tax fraud right before Engoron makes his decision.

I have seen in the Independent that lawfolks are worried about setting precedent in the Tish James lawsuit, specifically that all prior business dissolutions have been to prevent ongoing harm to victims. James herself has requested that Trump's businesses be put under a state-appointed monitor for five years before making a decision on dissolution.

So that's the likely outcome for Engoron to sign on to, although hopefully he also gives the $350mn fine too.
Buyout private equity firms are really good at stripping the copper out of the walls, make the monitor someone who retired from that gig

As for everyone who gets their paychecks signed by Trump who would be out of a job, gently caress 'em (the ones working voluntarily at least)

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So what's the upcoming schedule for February in the worlld of Trump Legal?