Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Convex posted:

Specifically, the moveset (ie having two dodges which recharge, a double jump, the chainsaw as an 'aaaaaahhh gently caress this' option, the ladders and platforming) reminds me of doom eternal, as well as the enormous scale of the level design, which I also felt D:E did well at.

I love the aesthetics and sound design of both games. Both love throwing loads of enemies at you, but I don't feel restricted to a particular intended approach in TO which bugged me about D:E with its low ammo limits. Also you don't have to do lots of short cutscenes for chainsaw/melee kills which got excessive and annoying in D:E.

Yeah I largely agree, along with the fact that at higher difficulties in both games, you get vaporized extremely quickly, which necessitates constant aggressive and frenetic movement to keep ahead of the combat. That's something that reminded me a lot of DE on Nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I never played AVP2 from 2001. Only really interested in the marine campaign. Is it any good? I know it got some rave reviews back in the Elder Days.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Serephina posted:

Spent money on SS-Remake. Runs terribly for me, but is playable and great fun.

:yeah:

The upcoming patch apparently makes some significant optimisations as well!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I largely agree, along with the fact that at higher difficulties in both games, you get vaporized extremely quickly, which necessitates constant aggressive and frenetic movement to keep ahead of the combat. That's something that reminded me a lot of DE on Nightmare.

Honestly I think if D:E didn't feature glory kills and doubled/trebled the ammo counts I would enjoy it a lot more.

Convex fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 28, 2024

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I never played AVP2 from 2001. Only really interested in the marine campaign. Is it any good? I know it got some rave reviews back in the Elder Days.

I've been replaying a bit of AVP Classic on steam and 2 from a pack that installs the game and the expansion pretty much automatically since it's mostly abandonware and I think Classic is pretty rough but 2 holds up decently. I've always enjoyed the Alien/Predator campaigns more but the Marine campaign is good too.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This one looks fun. Australian themed Half-life :haw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDXEYw93cs8

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

Survival, crafting, pass.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Guillermus posted:

If this was anything other than a survival crafting thing I'd go for it but. :(

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'll give the demo a try. Not interested in survivals but this one got my attention at least.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Guillermus posted:

It's the only FPS survival crafty type game that I've ever liked - I took part in the open playtest over December and it was really good fun. Definitely heavily Half-Life inspired, to the extent that even some of the textures are very similar & the gameplay kind of hits some of the same notes as the early Half-Life mod days.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Finished up Wolfenstein 09 for the first time today. I thought it was pretty good overall, and have some thoughts on it:

• Killing Nazis feels real good in this game. The guns are awesome, AI is smart enough, and the animations & ragdolls are tuned just right.

• The upgrades you unlock for the weapons and powers are pretty cool, though the game definitely suffers from the "Why use any other gun 90% of the time" with the MP43.

• No shotgun!

• Game takes a little too long to introduce new enemy types IMO, and a lot of them seemed backloaded towards the last 25% of the game. The rocket troopers & flamethrowers come to mind here.

• There seems to be a shift in terms of battle arenas/fights between the first half and second half of the game. The first half just throws fodder at you in small cramped spaces constantly with maybe one higher-tier enemy to worry about. Things open up a bit more in the last half with more specialized enemies at once in larger areas.

• The village of Isenstadt is...interesting. It makes a lot more sense now with that comment left under Civvies video (which I haven't watched yet) with the game meaning to be open world and then switching midway through development. Other than running to your next mission and finding gold/intel, not much to do and not very interesting.

• 80% of the game takes place in Midtown Isenstadt, and then they force you into Downtown Isenstadt and you spend almost no time there. Very weird! Guess they just ran out of dev time with that one.

• I know this is a "eh, it's a videogame" thing, but I always found it funny when I was running around Isenstadt fighting Nazis, then turn a corner into the super-secret resistance hideout den with the big logo on the door. They're right around the corner from each other!

• The story is...whatever. The voice acting is pretty bad, especially BJ. Just the worst of the worst of those mid-late 2000's VO work. All of the "English speaking with German accents" stuff is bad. The actual gameplay is more than good enough to keep you going though.

• You can go through the vast majority of the game without using any of your powers, besides the one that makes you walk through certain walls and climb certain ladders. I played on Hard and besides the puzzles that force you to use them, I only felt the need to use my shield and damage amp powers in combat during the last few battles.

• Lack of Quicksave is not really that big of a deal. The checkpoint system is incredibly generous most of the time - there are only one or two instances where I felt it screwed me over.

• The level design when NOT in the hub of Isenstadt, is pretty good and interesting! The Farm level near the beginning of the game was where I was sold.

Overall, I'm glad I played it! I think I'll tackle Prey 2006 next - I only ever played the demo on 360.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

anilEhilated posted:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

If this was anything other than a survival crafting thing I'd go for it but. :(

It's got toilets and a minigame where you take a poo poo, my interest is piqued and so should yours

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

• The level design when NOT in the hub of Isenstadt, is pretty good and interesting! The Farm level near the beginning of the game was where I was sold.

If you ever go back and replay, I highly recommend grabbing the axe from near the beginning of the level and using the slow-mo power to go full axe-murderer for as long as possible.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

catlord posted:

If you ever go back and replay, I highly recommend grabbing the axe from near the beginning of the level and using the slow-mo power to go full axe-murderer for as long as possible.

Any time there's an axe it goes from "pretty good Wolfenstein game" to "best Star Wars game"!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I definitely enjoyed doinking the ax off various nazis heads for sure. The sound it makes on contact is pretty funny.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Mr E posted:

I've been replaying a bit of AVP Classic on steam and 2 from a pack that installs the game and the expansion pretty much automatically since it's mostly abandonware and I think Classic is pretty rough but 2 holds up decently. I've always enjoyed the Alien/Predator campaigns more but the Marine campaign is good too.

Might be misreading your post but, does this load AvP2 through the AvP Classic install on Steam? If so, you got a link? Deffo sounds like something I wanna check out.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I was today years old when I discovered the Duke3d Pigcop and Quake Ogre use the same SFX

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

manero posted:

I was today years old when I discovered the Duke3d Pigcop and Quake Ogre use the same SFX

Now i'm imagining those Pig Cop hovercraft or whatever they were making "pwong" noises as they fire their rockets.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bumhead posted:

Might be misreading your post but, does this load AvP2 through the AvP Classic install on Steam? If so, you got a link? Deffo sounds like something I wanna check out.

No it's just a package dl with the main game and xp

https://avpunknown.com/avp2aio/

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

manero posted:

Somebody pointed out that the octobrain's projectile is from a stock image CD, and apparently crap cartoon Skeleton Warriors also got the same one because it pops up in the overwrought, comically early '90s CG introductions and I can't not see it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
how can a show called skeleton warriors be crap. it's got all your basic food groups

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

how can a show called skeleton warriors be crap. it's got all your basic food groups

It is delightfully, aggressively '90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ZlpTp_dJA

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
the worst part of skeleton warriors is the game

how the gently caress do you make such a bad game? it would have been slightly less bad if it had the theme song but no, they failed at even that

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

in this very special episode the team discovers the skeleton warrior within

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ZlpTp_dJA&t=38s

Doom really was a cross medium success

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

scroll up three posts

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Late to the party, but I finally made my way through myhouse.wad and one of the side effects is I feel like I'll never hear the MAP01 music the same way again. I'll always be afraid that it's going to start changing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

Late to the party, but I finally made my way through myhouse.wad and one of the side effects is I feel like I'll never hear the MAP01 music the same way again. I'll always be afraid that it's going to start changing.

now try myhouse.pk3 for a real trip

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Arivia posted:

scroll up three posts

What? The scene where he's on a mountain shooting at zombies skeletons is so reminiscent of doom as to seem suspect

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

manero posted:

lol I just watched that video too. The octobrain and mancubas being Elmer Fudd is the one that got me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What video

manero
Jan 30, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_lQDLfigKM

The algorithm knows

Edit for embed

manero fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 29, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Just finished Storage on System Shock remake. There's uh, a lot of guns here, in addition to a grenade launcher that is in no way worth its space. I don't recall having much trouble in the OG games, as several guns where joke items and/or just plain poo poo, but they seem want to be avoiding that philosphy here but there's no way even the storage unit can make trucking all these toys around practical. I've been dumping stuff at the elevators, like in the old game - ironic.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Breaking News: You Just Saw A Headline With "Embracer" And "Deus Ex" In It And You Already Know The Entire Story, You Don't Even Have To Click The Link.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

what a shame

it was a good IP

what a rotten way to die

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Embracer to Deus Ex: Get the hell out of here Denton

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

Eyud fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 29, 2024

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I'm sure I already know the answer, but is there any possible legal recourse to this? Could all the people Embracer hosed over come together and get some kind of recompense out of them?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no, when you're a company it is for some reason very legal and very cool to buy up stuff with the promise that you will have the money to actually afford it eventually and dump everything when it turns out you won't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
e; f,b

Convex fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 30, 2024