Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah unless my memory is completely failing me, my 100% runs ended well north of SL 100. Mountaintops has gotta be around at least that on average.

If all else fails, I would look up Alexander's quest to see if it's still doable. That'll get you a solid npc summon for Fire Giant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Limiting the Mimic's options is a good idea, but I wouldn't recommend a shield for Malenia since she'll still heal on hits and the shield will engender passivity in the Mimic. Consider ditching the staff altogether and relying on the DMGS. Have a dagger or something with the Sacred Order ash on it to buff damage and damage resistance for the two of you, use the damage reduction and magic damage boosting tears in your flask, wear the Godfrey talisman to increase the power of your charged R2 beams, keep meat dumplings in your items, plus maybe some frost pots. Lean heavily on charged R2s when she's not focused on you, and if you can ever double-team her against a wall in the first phase you can get her health down surprisingly fast. Run past her at the start of the second phase and you'll have time to refresh buffs and get a few free beam hits.

I am mildly disappointed at how quickly dropping the staff and just using the DMGS worked. Some of it was probably just luck, she did her rot flower thing twice on the winning round, but got her on the third try after dropping the staff and giving the mimic some dumplings. Stance pressure from weapons is a hell of an advantage, I guess.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Radahn was comedy as an archer. I've got the black bow and Radahn's as an opening shot. Being able to shoot things in the head reliably is very nice. I got attacked by the death rite bird and got a shock, then I shot it in the face until it died. The only hairy party is running in to stab things with misericorde lol.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just wanna say, as a Berserk fan, it tickles me pink whenever I see something that is obviously an homage to Berserk. For example, the Prisoner starting class is a reference to when Griffith was locked away at the Tower of Rebirth and tortured while ER's trolls look a lot like the giants Griffith and company fight after Falconia is founded.

e: Also of course the Erdtree is a reference to the World Spire tree.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 28, 2024

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

if I do near and far is that every martyr effigy I've activated?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Rand Brittain posted:

My best guess is that because maidens are basically a form of priestess, they have to be trained, and nobody is training maidens any more because the Lands Between are completely nonfunctional.

But this doesn't explain why Varre and Melina both think that having a maiden is a big deal, but nobody else has one, even at the Roundtable Hold, or even mentions the concept.
It's kind of implied no one else in the roundtable hold besides gideon is all that serious in claiming the elden ring

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

actionjackson posted:

if I do near and far is that every martyr effigy I've activated?

Yes.

Though in reality it is still limited by a.) where others are when they want cooperatives b.) what weapon level you have and c.) where most people ask for help anyway.

Basically, in my experience, you roughly only get summoned to the most recent areas you are in, because most likely all of those above are where others are, too. When you reach the end game, though, it's almost always going to be Malenia, Radagon/Elden Beast, and Maliketh.

You can occasionally get a little a Radahn, as a treat.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 28, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I respecced to lean into the Fallingstar Beast Jaw and goddamn that thing rules.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So I was idling wondering if Godfrey Icon still doesn't work with Ancient Dragon Lightning Strike like it used to, and I stumbled upon this reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/...ning%20strikes.

It's still a nerf to the incantation, but considering how many times it can hit on larger enemies that means Godfrey's Icon is still worth using on ADLS, even if it's not as convenient as it used to be.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's kind of implied no one else in the roundtable hold besides gideon is all that serious in claiming the elden ring

There’s an early Gideon dialogue where he pretty much says this, and then goes on grumbling about how Tarnished These Days are a bunch of bums.

Anyway I think the main reason why nobody’s got any maidens is because maidens serve the fingers and the fingers are all dead, evil, or so senile they think Gideon is young.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

skasion posted:

There’s an early Gideon dialogue where he pretty much says this, and then goes on grumbling about how Tarnished These Days are a bunch of bums.

Anyway I think the main reason why nobody’s got any maidens is because maidens serve the fingers and the fingers are all dead, evil, or so senile they think Gideon is young.

I mean, Gideon IS young if your measure for age is in tens of thousands of years.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
My favorite videos are when Gideon gets one shotted mid dialogue like a little bitch.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

dialhforhero posted:

My favorite videos are when Gideon gets one shotted mid dialogue like a little bitch.

If you let him finish and fight him honestly, he's actually kind of hard. Fucker spams Comet and whatever spells you got from bosses endlessly and has infinite MP. If you let him build any kind of momentum, it's gonna be a rough fight.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Madness screaming directly into gideons eyeballs mid speech, killing him instantly and proving the futility of being a tiny pissbaby.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Drone_Fragger posted:

Madness screaming directly into gideons eyeballs mid speech, killing him instantly and proving the futility of being a tiny pissbaby.

That's literally what I did in my most recent run when I Howled at him and forced him to gaze into the flaming abyss of eyes.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

If you let him finish and fight him honestly, he's actually kind of hard. Fucker spams Comet and whatever spells you got from bosses endlessly and has infinite MP. If you let him build any kind of momentum, it's gonna be a rough fight.

My first playthrough I didn't let him finish as just pure instinct. I was also a bonky boi so I destroyed him in about 30 seconds I want to say and he couldn't cast a thing because I would destroy his poise.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

That's literally what I did in my most recent run when I Howled at him and forced him to gaze into the flaming abyss of eyes.

In my frenzy ending playthrough I did this and was hilarious. Him being so smug and then getting his eyes and brain burned down :discourse:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
What's your funniest moment in the game

the spiritspring jump at the last Mt. Gelmir grace. The way they set up the arc so you go from "hell yeah this is so much faster than the ladder" to "NOOOOOOOOO" the first time is perfect

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Started sunbroing again at level 155. There are plenty of players looking for help but almost none of them know how to stay alive for more than 30 seconds against Malenia or that you are supposed to teabag the defeated Radagon.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Getting summoned for Malenia only for the host to take Scarlet Aeonia in the face 5 seconds into phase 2 is way too common.

Also Godfrey with 2 summons sucks, he just has too much health.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Getting summoned for Malenia only for the host to take Scarlet Aeonia in the face 5 seconds into phase 2 is way too common.

:hmmyes:

That or just being a total wimp and running away only to cause her to Waterfowl Dance in them constantly even in phase 1.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I got the smartest host for Malenia yesterday, we just traded her aggro between us and threw a ridiculous amount of fire at her whenever she Scarlet Aeonia'd.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What's the normal ranges for the game anyway? I'm at leyndell at around 80ish but I see people talking about starting NG+ at 160.

I do wonder how underlevelled I've been for various things and have probably been doing stuff in reverse order, because I went back and did that cave west of laskyar ruins after being asked to by someone (i can't remember, my memory is dogshit without some kind of quest log) and i felt like I was absolutely smashing the hell out of everything

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What's the normal ranges for the game anyway? I'm at leyndell at around 80ish but I see people talking about starting NG+ at 160.

I do wonder how underlevelled I've been for various things and have probably been doing stuff in reverse order, because I went back and did that cave west of laskyar ruins after being asked to by someone (i can't remember, my memory is dogshit without some kind of quest log) and i felt like I was absolutely smashing the hell out of everything

Normal game end is between 120-150.

150 is like 100%-ing the game and having a diverse build. You can still finish at 90-110, easily with a focused build and knowing where and what you're doing.

My "mid-level" invasion build is 75 and uses Mohg's bloodboon spell, which meant beating him woefully under-leveled.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bobby Deluxe posted:

80 sounds right to me. You've got a lot of game left not including two huge side areas.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm usually in the 150-160 range after NG, with 23-29 hrs per run. While there are tons of places I rarely or never engage with on the grounds that there's nothing there worth the time, I am fairly rigorous about swapping to the gold scarab talisman after beating a boss and popping a gold fowl foot on the big-money bosses.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

I'm usually in the 150-160 range after NG, with 23-29 hrs per run. While there are tons of places I rarely or never engage with on the grounds that there's nothing there worth the time, I am fairly rigorous about swapping to the gold scarab talisman after beating a boss and popping a gold fowl foot on the big-money bosses.

I keep doing this while not wanting to be over-leveled and using the twiggy tear so I never lose my collected runes. Then I end up having to figure out how to spend 1.2 million runes without becoming too OP against the last boss rush.

Mostly buy out every merchant, and get enough smithing stones to fully upgrade 3-5 weapons.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 29, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is there a mod that puts an n in front of every erdnoun thing?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

JBP posted:

Is there a mod that puts an n in front of every erdnoun thing?

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Some level breakpoints for fighting bosses:

Margit: 30 (usually closer to 35 or so due to defeating the sleeping dragon early, but probably could be beaten earlier)
Godrick: 40
Renalla: 50
Radahn: 70
Draconic Tree Sentinel: 70 (usually fight Radahn first if going for an INT or ARC build, otherwise might beeline into Leyndell)
Gold Godfrey: 75-80
Morgott: 90
Astel: 90 (again, depends on build. INT builds benefit from beating Astel earlier and completing Ranni's quest)
Rykard: 100 (probably can be beaten around 70 or so like Radahn, but completing the Volcano Manor quest requires going into the mountains)
Fire Giant: 100
Mohg: 120
Malenia, endgame bosses: 140-150

So around level 150 is the typical point for finishing the game, if going for an "all quests completed" playthrough.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I have been trying my best with a dex build with a gimmick using black flame and the night cavalry set with the flail.

I think I just have to be bonky in this because the damage is anemic at best or I can never poise break or stagger. I realize the flail may not be the best but same goes with the halberd.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
night cavalry halberd rules

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I think the night flail’s alright for guard counters. It whips on horseback

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

I have been trying my best with a dex build with a gimmick using black flame and the night cavalry set with the flail.

I think I just have to be bonky in this because the damage is anemic at best or I can never poise break or stagger. I realize the flail may not be the best but same goes with the halberd.

Try bloodflame blade and spinning it into things? It's black flame-ish..

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
What is the best way to kill these big rear end dragons in Faram Azula?

Because my 50/50 INT/FTH Sword of Night and Flame basically tickles them, and Tiche keeps getting stuck walking into a wall.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Annath posted:

What is the best way to kill these big rear end dragons in Faram Azula?

Because my 50/50 INT/FTH Sword of Night and Flame basically tickles them, and Tiche keeps getting stuck walking into a wall.

Pest threads can mess them up. I used the Death Ritual Spear last run. Burn O Flame! (flame pillars) are really strong when multiple hit.

Stars of Ruin aimed at the head is a decent long range strategy, especially if you wear Lusat's crown.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 29, 2024

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you can cast stars of ruin you can cast shard spiral which is way better against big targets. Get in close and spam it like you’d spam pest threads.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

War Wizard posted:

I used the Death Ritual Spear last run.

I found the DRS disappointing against dragons, like it was running into limits of how many projectiles could do damage.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

I found the DRS disappointing against dragons, like it was running into limits of how many projectiles could do damage.

It's pretty mid, but it "casts" relatively fast and its magic damage can be boosted with Terra Magica. But it's true that I used it more for its unique targeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

My 2nd playthrough so far is my new Battlemage. I have not played Elden Ring in a good while so im starting all the way over.

Level 35 while aiming to starting to progress Stormveil Castle and upwards. Leveled up summons and got some good equipment to progress forward this time around. My first playthrough I didnt know you can level up summons as well as a bunch of other things. Im having way more fun than I remember on my first character.