Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Qubee posted:

Why does my glider suck, I can barely traverse that far. It's almost as if I'm a rock dropping through the air, I get barely any hang time.

Are you holding up? Press down until you're almost level then don't press anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Enshrouded rules. Kinda reminds me a bit of 7 days with the amount of hand crafted content that's scattered around everywhere.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So I just zerg rushed to the final area in Enshrouded at like level 8 and found a spot right by a settlement called "caravan camp" where you can build a camp and just farm out mats (leather, linen, fabric, padding, etc) to make the highest tier backpack and glider by breaking pots and returning to menu.

There's also two golden chests nearby on building roofs in Brittlebush that you can get to without fighting any of the level 20+ stuff in the area by double jumping. You'll find level 23 weapons and armor sets (that are unique, I assume and not craftable).

If you open up an interactive map from google, it's a spot located exactly in the center of a straight line drawn between the Nomad Highlands Ancient Spire and Kindlewaste Ancient Spire, which are the furthest to the east points mapped out so far. You might need shroud level 2 or 3 to make it there, but you definitely don't need higher than 3. I don't think you can actually make it to the Kindlewaste Spire without a higher shroud level as every shroud in the area is deadly to me.

edit: Drew a Map https://imgur.com/a/mUZ81cL

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 28, 2024

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
That is the sort of information that is irresistible to me but will also change my playtime in a game from 100+ hours to 10.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
re: Enshrouded

What's needed to survive the Deadly Shroud areas?
How do I use magic staffs that require spell charges? I'm in Woodgard on my way to the Alchemist; is he what I need?
Where do y'all like to build your permanent base?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mischievous Mink posted:

I've been getting amber sometimes from chopping the big tall trees that give hard wood.

e: Oh no poo poo you said amber, and I was thinking resin. lol sorry.

Hot resin tip (the drop rate from regular trees is awful): chop down the trees with orange leaves.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Qubee posted:

Why does my glider suck, I can barely traverse that far. It's almost as if I'm a rock dropping through the air, I get barely any hang time.

Make sure you're not pressing down to dive (like I was doing the first few "flights"), that should give you a half decent amount with even the basic one. There are some skills for it too, a stamina reduction one first and a verticality boost (called updraft) one after. Probably more too, idk
You are jumping from a good height yeah? I mean it can sort of scoot you down some steep slopes (which looks hilarious imo) but it's really from yeeting yourself of a mountain top or a massive spire base jumper style
Just saw a video with a legendary one that looks bonkers

-edit-
Just roughly timed a jump from the cliff edge beside my starting base into the enshrouded valley below and got 8 or so seconds to the tower I wanted tor each, but could have got more if I wanted to land farther along in the mist

I just got this ring, and it seems far from legendary to me. I have to lose 20 health and 1 regen if I use it and it really doesn't seem worth it

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 28, 2024

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I know it's been said, but Enshrouded's build system is janky as hell. I hosed around with trying to get an angled roof set up and aligned without weird seams or gaps, and after a half hour I erased it all and just put on a flat roof.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Canuckistan posted:

I know it's been said, but Enshrouded's build system is janky as hell. I hosed around with trying to get an angled roof set up and aligned without weird seams or gaps, and after a half hour I erased it all and just put on a flat roof.

I think there are some tricks to it, I've learned that you kind of have to flip between snapping on and off to game the "fill" system that happens between walls and roofs if that makes sense. I'm using an Xbox controller and its pretty fast.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

isaboo posted:

re: Enshrouded

What's needed to survive the Deadly Shroud areas?
How do I use magic staffs that require spell charges? I'm in Woodgard on my way to the Alchemist; is he what I need?
Where do y'all like to build your permanent base?

You need to upgrade the strength of your flame alter. The higher your flame alter strength the more shrouded areas will turn blue instead of red. This is shown in the alter strengthen interface as shroud level or something.

On staffs, you have to either find or craft 'ammunition' for them in the form of fire balls, ice bolts, or healing. You should be finding them in the wild in chests and after you get the alchemist he'll introduce crafting to make them yourself and he'll give you a quest to get an 'infinite' spell which doesn't need charges but uses mana.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
So the consensus is to get and play Enshrouded then?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Quoting myself from the Steam thread -

Sab669 posted:

How do I know which Flame Shrines I've looted already? Or do they respawn and generate more Sparks?
And what's the difference between a Flame Shrine and Flame Sanctum? Because they have the same icon on the map :shrug:

Game seems neat so far otherwise, trying to figure out how to get to the Carpenter. But I think I might need to upgrade my Flamething first because there's lots of angry red fog :thunk:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I have finished farming (using previously mentioned method)

Time to try and punch stuff to death, but still die in like 2 hits because def is really weak in this game

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BabyRyoga posted:

I have finished farming (using previously mentioned method)

Time to try and punch stuff to death, but still die in like 2 hits because def is really weak in this game

drat that's a good hat though

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Vasudus posted:

An enshrouded tip for folks building that want to make something underground: Building a block and then deleting it will remove the terrain that it clips into. So you can build/remove a bunch of foundations to get the desired depth, build out how you want, and then use the terrain block feature to put a cap on it. Much, much, much easier than manually digging out everything with a pickaxe.

Realized this about halfway through my lovely underground hobbit hole base I made.

You can also use the terrain tool and right click to delete terrain and get dirt and stone out of it.
Just take the wide brush and go to town.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Am I doing something wrong or is this expected behavior with Enshrouded? I kinda get trees respawning, and maybe even rocks, but it looks like the ground is respawning too. I've dug out the same patch of flint or whatever right next to the starting area four times now. Not sure how you'd make an underground base if this stuff keeps filling back in.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

Am I doing something wrong or is this expected behavior with Enshrouded? I kinda get trees respawning, and maybe even rocks, but it looks like the ground is respawning too. I've dug out the same patch of flint or whatever right next to the starting area four times now. Not sure how you'd make an underground base if this stuff keeps filling back in.

The terrain won't respawn if it's around a building site, otherwise pretty much everything but like shroud roots will come back.

Scruffpuff posted:

Hot resin tip (the drop rate from regular trees is awful): chop down the trees with orange leaves.

Ahh, I wonder if those are the hardwood ones? I'm quite colorblind and couldn't tell you if the ones I was having luck with were those, but I bet they were what I was whacking on.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sab669 posted:

How do I know which Flame Shrines I've looted already? Or do they respawn and generate more Sparks?
And what's the difference between a Flame Shrine and Flame Sanctum? Because they have the same icon on the map

For the first, they seem to respawn when you restart the game, just like trees and stuff. Maybe on a timer as well? I understand that trees respawn overnight, but I could be wrong.

For the second, the flame shrines seem to be just small little platforms in the middle of nowhere that you can just go grab the spark from, while the sanctums are more of a mini-dungeon with puzzles/jumping stuff you need to do, also hidden (or not) treasure chests.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

bird food bathtub posted:

Stuff within the bounds of your altar doesn't regrow

Sab669 posted:

Quoting myself from the Steam thread -

Game seems neat so far otherwise, trying to figure out how to get to the Carpenter. But I think I might need to upgrade my Flamething first because there's lots of angry red fog :thunk:

I was put off for a fair while, but there are a few little island bits of non-red that you can double jump over to get to the start of it.
Pretty sure you do need to have levelled up once (maybe twice) but not beyond that.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

So the consensus is to get and play Enshrouded then?

I'm really enjoying it, and more so as time goes on as well. Seems like it will have pretty long legs too going by some videos I've seen.
It is gaining players steadily too. 5th most played on Steam today 160,000 peak

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 28, 2024

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

twistedmentat posted:

There's not much activity in the 7 Days thread, but I've been playing a no creative mode game and i'm really enjoying it. I figured out wiring and got over my hated of mouse driving. Though I did have to turn on creative mode for 2 reasons; the dog poo poo exchange rate for making seeds, 4 fruit per 1 seed? Wtf is that crap? And also the skill book distribution is really silly. I had a 92 in tools but only 17 in forge, so i just creative moded me some seeds and enough magazines to make forged steel.
That seed thing iirc goes back to older versions, where once you planted something it would regrow. Made sense that it would cost you a few to get a permanent source. Now it's only (sort of) worth it if you put 5 points into Living Off the Land, where you'll get enough crops back to replant and still have a thing to eat. Maxing LotL now is the sort of thing you'd do on a server where you have dedicated farming people and a lot of plantings. Seeds are generally common enough loot to get by, and a point or two into LotL will give you better returns.

Your chances of finding skill books in loot are based on where you put your points. So you probably have more points in categories that give tool books and less in ones that give forge books which accounts for the discrepancy. You have a higher chance of getting forge books from destroyed workstations (makes sense), and weirdly a point or two in lockpicking helps as well. Technically the crucible was always the top tier unlock, and required maxing out INT but there was a decent chance you'd find one at a trader or even in regular loot. Traders still carry them, but they're stupid expensive and I think they really nerfed the chance of finding one so steel is now a big roadblock where it used to be a minor inconvenience. Learning elixirs are much cheaper now, so you can always respec heavy into INT, get the books you need and craft a crucible, then spec back out. Obviously a moot point for you now, but why didn't you just CM yourself a crucible instead of a bunch of books? :v:

I should jump back on the goon server, been hankerin' to play a bit and while it's not as busy as it was when A21 launched occasionally there are people on and it's always fun to find goon bases.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sab669 posted:

And what's the difference between a Flame Shrine and Flame Sanctum? Because they have the same icon on the map :shrug:

You don't. But over time they respawn and generate more sparks.

Flame Shrines are out in the open, Flame Sanctums are in little buildings. Otherwise no difference.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Definitely feels like Enshrouded merits it's own thread. I'm only a few hours in but it already seems way more engaging than the demo. I love the building system, this is the first game that making a proper roof didn't feel like a huge pain in the rear end. It also has a good "coziness" factor when you're in your base, seems right up there with Valheim.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Hakarne posted:

Definitely feels like Enshrouded merits it's own thread. I'm only a few hours in but it already seems way more engaging than the demo. I love the building system, this is the first game that making a proper roof didn't feel like a huge pain in the rear end. It also has a good "coziness" factor when you're in your base, seems right up there with Valheim.

I would agree, it's really first game where I felt kinda satisfied just decorating a base. Was waiting for the night cycle just for the cozy vibes. I've never played valheim though.

A thread and perhaps a dedicated server would own.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I will say that Icarus's building system, once you understand it is super easy and probably my favorite building systems so far. Decent decorative things you can do in it too, though of course the cosmetic stuff is still locked by technology points.

To interrupt Enshrouded chat, Icarus just added BEES. I had put it down for a little bit while doing a mhw replay with some friends but I might pick it back up just to get into some beekeeping. Most notable is that caves now get more enemy variety because you can get cave bees.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hakarne posted:

Not sure if there's a hidden disadvantage to doing this, but I've been making themed homes for each crafter. Can you move the flame without destroying the buildings? I kinda want to move it to the center of the town now.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I made a simple house with slanted roof based on the core (4m?) parts and I have little corners poking out of my roof. Is that intentional? Moving them even one block further away makes visible gaps, but I don't like the way this breaks up the roof.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Threads get made cause someone is willing to make them, not because of whether or not they're warranted. :v:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

if you think about it, starting threads is the ultimate survival game

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TrashMammal posted:

if you think about it, starting threads is the ultimate survival game

Press E to gather enough sticks and rocks to build the first post.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Survival games that heavily feature combat mechanics ought to have quest lines that involve building materials as rewards.

Blacksmith's fetch quest of 10 ore results in a new weapon plus my choice of X building mats.

Please don't make me punch a tree at level 100 when I already spent levels 1-20 doing that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Trivia posted:

Survival games that heavily feature combat mechanics ought to have quest lines that involve building materials as rewards.

Blacksmith's fetch quest of 10 ore results in a new weapon plus my choice of X building mats.

Please don't make me punch a tree at level 100 when I already spent levels 1-20 doing that.

Don't many that do that also scale harvesting with weapon damage? Thinking like V Rising where at max level you basically one shot giant trees that'd take a good 40 seconds to do when you could first damage them.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
If they don't then they should. Or offer a mechanic to increase yields.

Minecraft for example never (as far as I knew when I stopped playing) offered machines or mechanics that allowed you to increase yields from basic resources. Wood also yielded 4 planks. You never could make a sawmill that would double that yield, for example.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Threads get made cause someone is willing to make them, not because of whether or not they're warranted. :v:

I made a thread for Enshrouded:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053051

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Played some co-op and I’m revising my opinion a little on enshrouded - while it has some jank, and a LOT of stuff about the game is very derivative if not just outright copying poo poo (BotW glider, falling bow attack, and basic quest structure, Valheim food + comfort) it’s basically fine. It looks decent, it mostly plays well enough, and $26 for a reasonably competent botw clone isn’t bad.

I have been thinking that selling it as a survival game misses the mark, because it’s really actually co-opable BotW with some crafting/building trappings, and tbh that makes it a little more palatable for some reason.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Trivia posted:

If they don't then they should. Or offer a mechanic to increase yields.

Minecraft for example never (as far as I knew when I stopped playing) offered machines or mechanics that allowed you to increase yields from basic resources. Wood also yielded 4 planks. You never could make a sawmill that would double that yield, for example.

Most popular Minecraft mod packs have tiered machines that increase yield of processed mats and other machines that automate resource extraction.

Who the hell still plays vanilla Minecraft?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Yes I know mods exist but that's not really the point.

It's that at this point there should be enough iteration within the genre that these issues should become bog-standard. Much like crafting from chests (and not gating it for no real reason).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SubponticatePoster posted:

That seed thing iirc goes back to older versions, where once you planted something it would regrow. Made sense that it would cost you a few to get a permanent source. Now it's only (sort of) worth it if you put 5 points into Living Off the Land, where you'll get enough crops back to replant and still have a thing to eat. Maxing LotL now is the sort of thing you'd do on a server where you have dedicated farming people and a lot of plantings. Seeds are generally common enough loot to get by, and a point or two into LotL will give you better returns.

Your chances of finding skill books in loot are based on where you put your points. So you probably have more points in categories that give tool books and less in ones that give forge books which accounts for the discrepancy. You have a higher chance of getting forge books from destroyed workstations (makes sense), and weirdly a point or two in lockpicking helps as well. Technically the crucible was always the top tier unlock, and required maxing out INT but there was a decent chance you'd find one at a trader or even in regular loot. Traders still carry them, but they're stupid expensive and I think they really nerfed the chance of finding one so steel is now a big roadblock where it used to be a minor inconvenience. Learning elixirs are much cheaper now, so you can always respec heavy into INT, get the books you need and craft a crucible, then spec back out. Obviously a moot point for you now, but why didn't you just CM yourself a crucible instead of a bunch of books? :v:

I should jump back on the goon server, been hankerin' to play a bit and while it's not as busy as it was when A21 launched occasionally there are people on and it's always fun to find goon bases.

Ah that explains it. I remember when i first got 7Days picking stuff rather than destroying it. And that was the issue, i was finding less than I could plant. I did go a bit overboard with planters, but that was due to me starving constantly in the early game.

And I was unaware that skill book drops where tied to your stats, but I've only put stuff into strength and health and a little bit into awareness, due to my main focus is not dying all the time. I got my level 4 pummel pete so i'm basically invincible.

I didn't CM me a crucible because i wanted to keep with the spirit with what I was trying to do.

I have to say actually needing to think about the resources I have on hand to make a horde base is pretty fun. i'm coming up to day 35 and i just got enough to make a 3rd blade trap. These things are great, mostly because you get xp from them killing things! I should put this one a big higher so it hits the zombies in the torso not the legs. My biggest issue is the AK i use for horde night is he lowest quality so it breaks really fast, so i'm constantly repairing it. Hopefully I can find a new one or get enough gun books to make one. There is a shotgun messiah factory near my base, but going in there, yea i am not good enough to hit up a 5 skull place yet.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm personally waiting for Undead Legacy to be updated for A21 before diving back into 7DTD. I don't like vanilla or any of the other megamods.

Unfortunately at the rate things are going it'll be A22 before that happens.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I've never played a 7 days mod. I have quite enjoyed vanilla but It gets stale pretty fast.

Darkness falls sounds interesting but I've not really had a proper look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I've never played a 7 days mod. I have quite enjoyed vanilla but It gets stale pretty fast.

Darkness falls sounds interesting but I've not really had a proper look at it.

Darkness falls is awesome and what I've been playing for some time now. I'd suggest checking out the @GunsNerdsandSteel channel on YouTube, he has two "New York City" series where he plays DF. The older one will be on an earlier version of 7 days, but it still gives a solid feel for playing the mod.

It definitely overhauls the gameplay a lot, and the game is a lot tougher, especially horde nights, which don't time out, they run the entire night.