Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

MikeJF posted:

Hi, I'm the Doctor and I don't believe in guns, it's not my fault if my companion has a built in nose gun that solves half of my problems by shooting people

One Loop Hole they don't want you to know about !

Edit:

Oh cool just got to the Douglas Adams serial The Pirate Planet. Its good so far! The doctor using the Jelly Babies like their a grenade and distracting a guard to steal a car is real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Hollismason posted:

One Loop Hole they don't want you to know about !

The other loophole of course is just using guns when you feel like it.

https://youtu.be/lzmnPs64K74?si=ibJvzZ52bTCAmQI2

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

LividLiquid posted:

You can show somebody who's never seen a single episode of Doctor Who Heaven Sent and it still just plays out as a loving great short film that you'll still be thinking about days later.

My ex-wife never gave a gently caress about Doctor Who (She was a Torchwood gal for a minute, though) before that, but that not only made her a fan, Twelve became her Doctor.

While it's only in my top three favorites to watch myself, it's almost certainly the finest episode of Doctor Who ever made.

I thought about doing that with my wife but given her fondness of Buffy and Vampire Diaries, I knew she could stand some campiness of the RTD era and she's been making her way through the revival slowly. Can't wait for her to get to season 9

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Pirate Captain from Pirate Planet is a loving great design. Love it. Love that he has a robotic parrot. Pirate Planet is pretty drat good.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Hollismason posted:

The Pirate Captain from Pirate Planet is a loving great design. Love it. Love that he has a robotic parrot. Pirate Planet is pretty drat good.
There's some really lovely design decisions in the Pirate planet, including a gag with the doors which is one of the funniest things Tom Baker ever did on the show.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Fil5000 posted:

WHELL SAAAH, I DOOO DEE-CLARE, YOU ARE MAKING A TERRIBLE MAHSTAKE

Bad accents and amnesia, as far as the eye can see.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hey now, that's an authentic Malebolgian accent.

My word, no dear lady, we are quite particular here at the Hellfire Club. Sufferin Succ'otash, yada yada.

Well, I'm 5 minutes in and already laughing at the obvious "....hell." name drop early on.

It's bad when the best accent we have is Peri-level, but I shall trudge forward.

"Chaaawww-leee" - Becky Lee from LA

("and locals not shooting each other that often?" Becky describing the differences in LA/London got an actual lol from me, funny then no doubt but even more darkly hilarious now.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

From what i remember of the very small bit of American history we covered at my English secondary school, Custer was not only a racist but an incompetent leader who got himself and his men killed by refusing equipment, ignoring intelligence and generally being poo poo, so I don't even know how the Doctor could save him short of bonking him on the head and dumping him somewhere away from the battle

Hey, he also was so fixated on doing genocide that he made everything much worse!

Hey now, that's an authentic Malebolgian accent.

I'm moving to Malebolgia, a bustling new state that is definitely a real place and absolutely not sinister!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I can't decide whether I really like that Season 16 has one big long arc about finding the Key of Time or whether I am growing a bit tired of it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I can't decide whether I really like that Season 16 has one big long arc about finding the Key of Time or whether I am growing a bit tired of it.

Yeah, that's kind of how everyone goes. It's not the worst idea to have a season long arc, but at the same time the plotting winds up feeling kind of samey.

But hey, it's not the other season long plot arc in classic Who!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Random Stranger posted:

I'm moving to Malebolgia, a bustling new state that is definitely a real place and absolutely not sinister!

I’m pretty sure that’s what all the Twin Peaks entities eat

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Jelly Babies are loving weird they're covered in what I am assuming is cornstarch which gives them a strange taste.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Hollismason posted:

Jelly Babies are loving weird they're covered in what I am assuming is cornstarch which gives them a strange taste.

Skill issue.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, so they don’t stick together/to the moulds when making them. It shouldn’t be excessive though, just dust them off if you like.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

kill the moon: still bad. oh well, the rest of the episodes of this season are good! mummy, flatline, dark water, death in heaven. just banger after banger.

definitely no other episodes in that mix.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hollismason posted:

It's not so much the taste, it's a bit of a squeaky feeling on your teeth. Easily dealt with though, just suck them a bit before you chew.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Dabir posted:

It's not so much the taste, it's a bit of a squeaky feeling on your teeth. Easily dealt with though, just suck them a bit before you chew.

Works with so many things!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I laughed pretty hard at The Androids of Tara when the Doctor steps out of the hut and they start blasting and he ducks back inside but not before ducking back out to shout "Liar!" .

Honestly Season 16 is pretty good. I've liked all the serials so far.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I was only aware of four and his love of Jelly Babies through osmosis, really, as all of him I've seen is clips and Genesis of the Daleks, but I still marked out during Orient Express when Twelve pulled out a cigarette case of them and offered one up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think it's one of those things that was relatively small in the original context, but sort of became massively outsized in the retelling. Always feels weird when it turns up in another incarnation that isn't the fourth too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

I think it's one of those things that was relatively small in the original context, but sort of became massively outsized in the retelling. Always feels weird when it turns up in another incarnation that isn't the fourth too.

The fourth Doctor uses and eats Jelly Babies all the drat time. Like they come up in multiple serials through out the seasons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hollismason posted:

The fourth Doctor uses and eats Jelly Babies all the drat time. Like they come up in multiple serials through out the seasons.

I'm not saying he doesn't. I think we're operating on different definitions of "relatively small".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm almost done with Season 16 and am finishing up The Power of Kroll. Its just alright. The other serials have been really good this one is not that great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean I think Mummy On The Orient Express partly included them so Capaldi could show off his Baker impression again.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

It was, when you considered that it was originally a Second Doctor thing. He offered them only twice - once in The Dominators and once in The Three Doctors.

Then when Terrance Dicks was writing Robot, the casting decision hadn't been made yet but they did know they were going to aim for a more whimsical Doctor than Pertwee, so Dicks just fell back on Second Doctor motifs and the rest was history.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Capaldi had the jelly babies added to Orient Express himself, and almost certainly ad-libbed the Fourth Doctor impersonation when he was talking to himself. That kind of thing is why he's the GOAT

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gaz-L posted:

I mean I think Mummy On The Orient Express partly included them so Capaldi could show off his Baker impression again.

I was convinced that line read was Tom himself. :psyduck:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hollismason posted:

I'm almost done with Season 16 and am finishing up The Power of Kroll. Its just alright. The other serials have been really good this one is not that great.

The Power of Kroll always baffles me because they cast Philip Madoc as.... just some guy!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Immortal use of a jelly baby from Face Of Evil:

quote:

(The Doctor holds a jelly baby under the nose of the red-haired warrior.)
DOCTOR: Now drop your weapons, or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby.
WARRIOR: Kill him, then.
DOCTOR: ...what?
WARRIOR: Kill him, then.
DOCTOR: I don't take orders from anyone.
(The Doctor eats the jelly baby.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Something I have noticed with watching the old Tom Baker Doctor Who episodes is how very little he actually uses the sonic screwdriver. Compared to the later new Who where he basically uses it as a magic wand.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Power of Kroll has some interesting behind-the-scenes stuff and if you squint you can see it as a first draft of Caves of Androzani but as a story in its own right it doesn't really work.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Zaroff posted:

When (or where) did you watch it? The two shows were being shown around the same time, so anyone who’d have watched MM in the UK would have been aware of The Crystal Maze.

The ABC, and then also the Comedy Channel, on early Foxtel (cable television) in Australia, probably late 90s. I had no idea what the Crystal Maze was because I don't think it ever aired here or we even had a version.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Crystal Maze has such an odd production history.

In 1989, French tv was making a show, Fort Boyard, a game show about solving puzzles, doing challenges, and collecting keys to a treasure room at the end of the episode. British tv company Chatsworth acquired the format, but couldn’t schedule time to film at the titular Fort Boyard (a real fort completely surrounded by the sea off the coast of France!) so they initially made a FB pilot using sets and filmed it at Elstree studios. It looked dreadful, so they asked FB’s creator for help and he suggested the Crystal Maze format.

Eventually the UK did get its own Fort Boyard with Geoffrey Bayldon, Leslie Grantham and Melinda Messenger hosting/as characters (and eventually Tom Baker!) and is one of 34 countries to have their own version of the show!

My companion and I watched an ep last year while in France and it’s wild. For one, the episode was 2.5 hours long, and there’s a huge amount of lore behind it all where the characters in the fort all have their own motivations and history, which evolves season to season.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The_Doctor posted:

The Crystal Maze has such an odd production history.

In 1989, French tv was making a show, Fort Boyard, a game show about solving puzzles, doing challenges, and collecting keys to a treasure room at the end of the episode. British tv company Chatsworth acquired the format, but couldn’t schedule time to film at the titular Fort Boyard (a real fort completely surrounded by the sea off the coast of France!) so they initially made a FB pilot using sets and filmed it at Elstree studios. It looked dreadful, so they asked FB’s creator for help and he suggested the Crystal Maze format.

Eventually the UK did get its own Fort Boyard with Geoffrey Bayldon, Leslie Grantham and Melinda Messenger hosting/as characters (and eventually Tom Baker!) and is one of 34 countries to have their own version of the show!

My companion and I watched an ep last year while in France and it’s wild. For one, the episode was 2.5 hours long, and there’s a huge amount of lore behind it all where the characters in the fort all have their own motivations and history, which evolves season to season.

I've heard the Boulanger era is held in plus respect.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Something I have noticed with watching the old Tom Baker Doctor Who episodes is how very little he actually uses the sonic screwdriver. Compared to the later new Who where he basically uses it as a magic wand.

I like how it's circled to magic in the universe and the magic wand is not very effective on it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Armageddon Factor is pretty drat good serial. I'm enjoying it and I like the mythos behind The White Guardian and Black Guardian. Has that been explored any further in Doctor Who or has it kind of been forgotten? I don't recall the new series (I stopped after Matt Smith) ever addressing the White Guardian or Black Guardian.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Hollismason posted:

The Armageddon Factor is pretty drat good serial. I'm enjoying it and I like the mythos behind The White Guardian and Black Guardian. Has that been explored any further in Doctor Who or has it kind of been forgotten? I don't recall the new series (I stopped after Matt Smith) ever addressing the White Guardian or Black Guardian.

The black guardian turns up again (only one time I think?) on TV and there have been a few audios with them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

The black guardian turns up again (only one time I think?) on TV and there have been a few audios with them.

Three stories, but it's a short arc all tied together. They're the fifth Doctor stories Mawdryn Undead, Enlightenment, and Terminus. Enlightenment is one my favorite fifth Doctor stories, too.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Khanstant posted:

I like how it's circled to magic in the universe and the magic wand is not very effective on it.

Gatwa's screwdriver is fine but it's especially weird that in a season where it looks like magic and myth are more real than ever the sonic has changed to look like a magic wand than ever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Random Stranger posted:

Three stories, but it's a short arc all tied together. They're the fifth Doctor stories Mawdryn Undead, Enlightenment, and Terminus. Enlightenment is one my favorite fifth Doctor stories, too.

Yeah, Enlightenment rules (as the Buddhists have been known to never say), just a loving weirdo out-there concept. I always loved that after Tom Baker played the Doctor as a character with complete self-confidence, Davison played him as a big brother/uncle who somehow got stuck babysitting the kids (companions) and is doing his best to struggle through everything without revealing he's doing it all by the seat of his pants.

Especially since the oldest kid (Tegan) is constantly pushing his buttons :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

That one guy in Thirteen's run namedrops the Guardians in a "I am like the thing you are nostalgic about, therefore you should like me too" way.