Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

smdh if you don't immediately recognize that as a line from the strip "Halfling Baby Steps Are Very Small."

it might be my single favorite strip in the comic, it's just Durkon being very good and also Durkon being very Good.

oh i remember it, just couldn't lay my hands on it straight away - thanks :)

I'm doing a full reread with my daughter, she's giving me observations as she goes it's neat, like the parallels between V and Redcloak.

we calculated the strip probably has 7-8 years to go, based on being ~200 strips from the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

How old is this comic's primary demographic now?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I am 37.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am 37.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am 30.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I AM NOT A NUMBER! I AM A FREE MAN!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

My son loves the books and our average age is 22.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
My age is an unholy number and you shall not wrest it from me

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shaking lemur butt posted:

my child is half the age i was when i started reading oots

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I am 38, and started reading the comic my freshman year of college when I was home on Christmas break in 2004.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

smdh if you don't immediately recognize that as a line from the strip "Halfling Baby Steps Are Very Small."

it might be my single favorite strip in the comic, it's just Durkon being very good and also Durkon being very Good.

I'm increasingly convinced the Oracle is in fact lying, about Belkar's last breath being literal instead of figurative.

That's such an emotional strip too, so good.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Shaking lemur butt posted:

So you're six hundred and sixty six?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drakyn posted:

Maybe they're 69 and just saving us from two pages of "nice" replies.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Nice.

e: Nice of them to save us from all those replies, that is!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I'm 42 and that is a comedy number too.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

I AM NOT A NUMBER! I AM A FREE MAN!

Drakyn posted:

Well I know what album's next on my playlist.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I’m 33 and when I first started reading Order of the Stick, the most recent strip was Xykon’s evilgasm. I was intimidated by the size of the comic’s backlog, as I’d never read a serialized webcomic before.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

The X-man cometh posted:

I'm 42 and that is a comedy number too.

I, too, am a hoopy frood

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I'm 34 and the first time I read OOTS they were at the trial in Azure City, and I was so certain the comic was close to reaching its conclusion.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The fun thing about OOTS is that you can give it to teens who only got into D&D in 5e and it still hooks them, even when the mechanics jokes don't quite work. The Age can go down!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I started reading while they were still in the first dungeon. I even bought one of the strip shirts. I think it was for this strip, just something about the goblin randomly being hit after the fact always made me giggle.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I clicked through to the next strip and it’s the one where Haley does a bunch of gymnastics looking for a trap while the men in the party watch and the joke is “the girl is hot”. Those were such different times…

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

So the strip's been going for around 21 years, and if it goes 7 or 8 years more that means even most of the oldest readers will have been reading it for half their lives.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
how old is Rich this year

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

So the strip's been going for around 21 years, and if it goes 7 or 8 years more that means even most of the oldest readers will have been reading it for half their lives.

I have been reading this comic for a significant majority of my life?? :psyduck:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

riderchop posted:

how old is Rich this year

He's 50 in September.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I can't remember when I started reading this but like. I want to say "Oh yeah I didn't start reading it until much later on" but when I think about how much my life has changed in the time I've been reading this yeah uh wow. 2007? 2008? Even conservatively I've been reading this comic for about 40% of my life what the gently caress.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I hope everyone having an existential crisis over the longevity of webcomics and the inevitable passage of time is okay :(

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Thanks for reminding me of the inexorable forward march of time, my own mortality, and that I've been reading this comic for over half my lifetime already.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

As long as the comic ends before I do, I'm happy. The pace Rich was working at was literally killing him, so I'd prefer to have a drawn out comic and a living author rather than a dead author and a prematurely ended comic.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Bee posted:

I hope everyone having an existential crisis over the longevity of webcomics and the inevitable passage of time is okay :(

My life has been a positive experience and I'm happy about most of the effects I've had on those around me in that time.

Sure, I might die before belkar does, but my corpse won't know that.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I have no actual reason to believe this, but I don't doubt for even a second that Rich will see this thing through to the end.

I also think the end of OOTS will coincide with the end of his career. I mean only he can say, of course, but this just feels to me like one of those projects that you do, and then you lay down your pen forever and go off to look at some incredibly moving landscape while the music swells dramatically and satisfyingly.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

oobey posted:

I have no actual reason to believe this, but I don't doubt for even a second that Rich will see this thing through to the end.

I also think the end of OOTS will coincide with the end of his career. I mean only he can say, of course, but this just feels to me like one of those projects that you do, and then you lay down your pen forever and go off to look at some incredibly moving landscape while the music swells dramatically and satisfyingly.

I just hope it's within the next decade.

This isn't an exaggeration.

Ten years ago we were finishing up Elan's Family Troubles.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

oobey posted:

This is basically what happened with Howard Tayler when he got done with Schlock Mercenary, afaik. Immediately afterward, he teased a spin-off project, but shortly afterward announced that he realized how much he actually enjoyed not posting a comic strip daily after having done so every day for 20 years, so he decided to go on indefinite vacation instead. Rich might not have been posting pages at the same pace, for understandable reasons, but I could totally see him coming to the same conclusion when it's all done.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

OPAONI posted:

I just hope it's within the next decade.

This isn't an exaggeration.

Ten years ago we were finishing up Elan's Family Troubles.

He's doing a strip every two weeks, and we are 100 pages into the last book which will probably be 300 strips or so, I figure another eight years.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Order of the Stick is one of those rare comics where even if it never actually finishes, I still won't regret my time spent with it.

But, Rich being Rich, the only way the comic isn't getting done sooner or later is if health issues render him literally incapable of producing content.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
How much Kickstarter content does he have left to finish? I wonder if production on the main comic will pick back up once the backlog is cleared.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

Order of the Stick is one of those rare comics where even if it never actually finishes, I still won't regret my time spent with it.

But, Rich being Rich, the only way the comic isn't getting done sooner or later is if health issues render him literally incapable of producing content.

OoTS is up there with Berserk for me in that an ending would be good, but what we got stands up on its own well enough and has had enough moments of being genuinely good fiction that if Rich said he was dropping OotS tomorrow I'd give him my thanks, wish him well and offer to buy a pdf of the incomplete chunk of this final book as a last token of support.

So please Mr. Burlew, take 8 years if you need to, or 16, or more, as long as you continue to take care of your health, and you're satisfied with what you're making.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

GimmickMan posted:

OoTS is up there with Berserk for me in that an ending would be good, but what we got stands up on its own well enough and has had enough moments of being genuinely good fiction that if Rich said he was dropping OotS tomorrow I'd give him my thanks, wish him well and offer to buy a pdf of the incomplete chunk of this final book as a last token of support.

Much like Berserk, we could get another writer to finish OoTS. The creators of Goblins or The Legacy of Dominic Deegan would probably jump at the chance.

Is the Moon Over June creator busy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Much like Berserk, we could get another writer to finish OoTS. The creators of Goblins or The Legacy of Dominic Deegan would probably jump at the chance.

Is the Moon Over June creator busy?

Man it’s been years since people constantly linked Goblins, I feel like I just lost The Game