Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

That’s a good fit, hope it doesn’t happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Ditto

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1751688468906885381

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/rapsheet/status/1751688468906885381?s=46

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/28/bill-belichick-has-warned-coaches-about-new-york-giants-organization/

quote:

Bill Belichick is a name that simply won’t go away when it comes to the New York Giants. At least not since he and the New England Patriots parted ways.

Fans have clamored for Belichick to return to the Giants, either as their head coach, a job currently held by Brian Daboll, or as their defensive coordinator.

Neither of those things is going to happen — not now and likely not in the future.

During the latest Breaking Big Blue podcast, ESPN’s Jordan Raanan revealed that Belichick’s view of the Giants has shifted over the years.

“I’ve heard this multiple times over the past five, six, seven years. And it’s a dirty little secret, maybe, about Bill Belichick and the Giants,” Raanan said. “I don’t think he looks at the Giants the same way he used to look at the Giants when he was here.”

Raanan notes that Belichick was a Wellington Mara guy, not a John Mara and Steve Tisch guy. And while he still reflects positively on his time with the Giants, Belichick has become wary of the current ownership and front office structure.

Specifically, Raanan notes, is the presence of John Mara’s nephew, Tim McDonnell, the team’s director of player personnel.

“Over the years, Bill Belichick has given advice to people . . . that he didn’t really like the setup of the Giants organization. Like, he didn’t think the Giants (were) this great organization,” Raanan said. “Bill Belichick, like everybody else watching from the outside (and) watching the way it’s set up, doesn’t think — at least this is what I’ve heard — it’s this great organization in its current iteration.

“That doesn’t mean Bill Belichick doesn’t love the Giants and appreciate everything they’ve done for him and have great memories.”

Because of the current power structure, Raanan doesn’t believe Belichick would want to come to the Giants at this point in his career. Even if he became desperate and the Giants came calling, it’s likely Belichick would request a major dynamic shift within the building at 1925 Giants Drive.

“He’s directly told that to people — be careful about the organization and their setup and the way it’s run. That’s happened,” Raanan said. “So, yes, Bill Belichick loves the New York Football Giants, the organization, and the memories he has from the past. It doesn’t mean he’s bats— crazy in love with the Giants organization right now.”

And there’s no reason to believe the Giants organization covets Belichick, either. After all, it was his accidental text message to Brian Flores that currently has John Mara and Co. in court.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

nice news dump

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1751704737202770197?s=46

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Schefter's habitual misuse of possessive apostrophes irritates me on a level that I can't quite articulate.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1751704671033397611

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Bill Belichick as a TV guy sounds like a charisma black hole, lmao

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Toss Gronk out and transition Bellichick into his place with zero changes to the wacky guy role

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Timby posted:

Schefter's habitual misuse of possessive apostrophes irritates me on a level that I can't quite articulate.

Fairly certain he follows the AP style guide.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Timby posted:

How do you think the apostrophe is supposed to be used there? They're the Atlanta Falcons, not the Atlanta Falcon.

edit: vvv that's a take.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 28, 2024

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
There just shouldn't be an apostrophe there

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A.o.D. posted:

How do you think the apostrophe is supposed to be used there? They're the Atlanta Falcons, not the Atlanta Falcon.

edit: vvv that's a take.

Is the gumbo poisoned down there or something?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hot Diggity! posted:

As a 20-year veteran of the AP Style Guide, I can assure you it is incorrect usage. The possessive does not apply in the way that Schefter uses it.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 28, 2024

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Head coach of the Falcons.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Hot Diggity! posted:

some style guides have changed to allow the apostrophe before the s on possessive plurals but they're still the minority and I doubt AP has changed

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Wrong thread

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

seiferguy posted:

He actually seems pretty fun and charming when he's just breaking down tape, and he's a massive history nerd. If he wants to do TV I think he could be excellent at it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The issue isn't whether it's supposed to be "former Falcons' head coach" or "former Falcons's head coach". Both are wrong. Jesus Christ.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

should have been a touchdown. still might be

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

indigi posted:

some style guides have changed to allow the apostrophe before the s on possessive plurals but they're still the minority and I doubt AP has changed

Sure but the apostrophe isn’t needed at all right?

I guess I could see how it could be used, but it feels odd to me to use it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Oops

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Sure but the apostrophe isn’t needed at all right?

I guess I could see how it could be used, but it feels odd to me to use it.

well it's the coach who now belongs to the Falcons. it could go either way depending on if you view Falcons as a noun or adjective

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Most NFL teams are nouns, but the Falcons play like they're adjectives.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Schefter's tweet about the Harbaugh hire:

quote:

New Los' Angeles' Chargers' Head Coach Jim Harbaugh

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

The issue isn't whether it's supposed to be "former Falcons' head coach" or "former Falcons's head coach". Both are wrong. Jesus Christ.

Unfortunately, based on style guides, a possessive apostrophe is fine there. It IS optional though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is the gumbo poisoned down there or something?

I learned to write professionally according to an old style guide. It's just my default. :shrug:

I don't claim to be good at it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Woozie66 posted:

Unfortunately, based on style guides, a possessive apostrophe is fine there. It IS optional though.

So, my degrees are in journalism and public relations, and I've done copywriting by the AP Stylebook since 2003.

Proper usages are:

"The Falcons' former head coach, Arthur Smith..."

OR:

"Falcons former head coach Arthur Smith..."

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Edit: wrong thread

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I expect Mike Macdonald to be the coach of the Seahawks within a week.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Kirios posted:

I expect Mike Macdonald to be the coach of the Seahawks within a week.

It's going to rule :hawksin:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Psycho Ken is going to Cleveland
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1751743547345076331
https://twitter.com/AlanSpringer/status/1574132330712612864/video/1

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/MikeDugar/status/1751746840155005105?t=O8J8K62NJdtUTrWVUmgKog&s=19

Thank u for losing, Ravens

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Seems like a fine hire? Our offense needed an injection of creativity. His weakness was always the run game and Stefanski should be able to cover that.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Mike MacDonald should have a first class ticket on Alaska Airlines Flight 379 tomorrow

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Did Dorsey interview anywhere else?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Woozie66 posted:

Seems like a fine hire? Our offense needed an injection of creativity. His weakness was always the run game and Stefanski should be able to cover that.
His play-calling could be a bit iffy; a bit too much long-ball, moving away from the run game even when it was working, doing something other than getting Allen to bulldoze on a 4th and short. In a wider context, I'm not sure his fiery character was what you need with Josh Allen, who will probably also be best with a HC who can keep Sugar Rush Allen away. It all started well enough, with that fun demolition of the Rams on their home-coming party, but once it went a bit wobbly mid mid 2022, he never managed to get the whole system truly working in sync again.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

His play-calling could be a bit iffy; a bit too much long-ball, moving away from the run game even when it was working, doing something other than getting Allen to bulldoze on a 4th and short. In a wider context, I'm not sure his fiery character was what you need with Josh Allen, who will probably also be best with a HC who can keep Sugar Rush Allen away. It all started well enough, with that fun demolition of the Rams on their home-coming party, but once it went a bit wobbly mid mid 2022, he never managed to get the whole system truly working in sync again.

Thanks for the breakdown. I wonder if he'll even call the plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
49ers should really be looking long and hard at moving on from shannahan