Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

Basically if you see someone homerow typing you know they're not a poweruser or computer wizard because they waited to be taught how to type. Come at me

loving computer grognard opinions itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Philthy posted:

Office365 and OneDrive run off locally cached files. If you go online offline online it doesn't care. It'll sync it all back up whenever it can.

In theory maybe. It def does not work 100% of the time like that

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Philthy posted:

Office365 and OneDrive run off locally cached files. If you go online offline online it doesn't care. It'll sync it all back up whenever it can.

Good luck getting collaborative work done with other people on your local LAN if the local LAN is disconnected from the Internet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

Except for when it doesn’t.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Cerekk posted:

The US Navy, an organization whose entire purpose for existence is the operation of warships capable of independent operations in a communications-denied environment, is in process of shifting its licenses to Office 365, which requires an internet connection to function.

NMCI machines are already thin clients anyway so if the internet is down you just can't login to your system to begin with.

And RDTE is down 60% of the time I'm on base.

We had our own little carve out in my lab where we were proxy only connected to the internet through an RDTE SSH tunnel, and we had local admin access, but IA caught on and made us switch to building on RDTE machines.

poo poo sucks now. Had to switch everything over to build in containers. Which I really dont understand containers too well but w/e I just do less work

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 27, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jsut last month outlook or whatever just didn’t deliver mail for awhile? Lol ok

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

kdrudy posted:

loving computer grognard opinions itt

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

euphronius posted:

Jsut last month outlook or whatever just didn’t deliver mail for awhile? Lol ok

Bill DeJoy has infected your mail server. Rip

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

In theory maybe. It def does not work 100% of the time like that

Been using it like that for the past 7 years. Zero issues. I can't speak to your own network connections, though.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

I taught myself to type when I was like 6 years old and the way I type I use index fingers for like 90% of it and only occasionally use the middle/ring fingers on my left hand so everyone who sees me type thinks I'm doing the hunt&peck thing except I type at like 110+ WPM and confuse the poo poo out of everyone

I don't trust homerow typers, they're slow and prone to errors, also they're conformists.

i learned from games like deus ex to cover the entire keyboard with my left hand without taking my right hand off the mouse. So I can kind of type one handed if I have to and when I have both hands on the keyboard my left hand covers ~60% or more, without any regard for home keys

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

my county's library system is getting rid of music CDs >:-(

so i'm moving from an older form of piracy to a newer (but still old) one >:-)

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Philthy posted:

Been using it like that for the past 7 years. Zero issues. I can't speak to your own network connections, though.

"Works on my machine"

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

"Works on my machine"

I thought the exact same thing.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

my county's library system is getting rid of music CDs >:-(

so i'm moving from an older form of piracy to a newer (but still old) one >:-)

Bandcamp is still going (relatively) strong if you ever want to support the artists directly.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
*cough cough*

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Google search is getting worse by the day. I swear, they are testing how far they can take that poo poo.

Also, the Google search engine ads sales department is firing hundreds of people and replacing them with AI tools. One little step closer to an utopian world where ads are made by bots, sold by bots, bought by bots and watched by bots, with no human involvement at all. Then we'll finally be free to never interact with any of that garbage again.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Bandcamp is still going (relatively) strong if you ever want to support the artists directly.

There are musicians I've bought directly from on there, not that it absolves me in any way.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
this is a petty one but ever since amazon bought whole foods it has been getting shittier. it was always super overpriced but they had a good meat and seafood counter so i would shop there for select items. one of those items was their andouille sausage. for years ive been buying it there and i think it's a lot better than any other ive tried. now suddenly they don't do andouille sausage anymore! just italian (which are also very good) and chorizo (just ok). loving bezos

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Google search is getting worse by the day. I swear, they are testing how far they can take that poo poo.

Also, the Google search engine ads sales department is firing hundreds of people and replacing them with AI tools. One little step closer to an utopian world where ads are made by bots, sold by bots, bought by bots and watched by bots, with no human involvement at all. Then we'll finally be free to never interact with any of that garbage again.

On the contrary, reading human created content will cost more per month than your entire income

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

thathonkey posted:

this is a petty one but ever since amazon bought whole foods it has been getting shittier. it was always super overpriced but they had a good meat and seafood counter so i would shop there for select items. one of those items was their andouille sausage. for years ive been buying it there and i think it's a lot better than any other ive tried. now suddenly they don't do andouille sausage anymore! just italian (which are also very good) and chorizo (just ok). loving bezos

my whole foods was designed so an escalator is basically the only way in from the parking lot, and the parking lot is the way most people are entering. this escalator has been out since around thanksgiving and its giving some bad vibes

im pretty sure grocery stores in general have gotten so bad in my city that the whole foods is absorbing all kinds of business it normally hasn't.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

20 Blunts posted:

my whole foods was designed so an escalator is basically the only way in from the parking lot, and the parking lot is the way most people are entering. this escalator has been out since around thanksgiving and its giving some bad vibes

im pretty sure grocery stores in general have gotten so bad in my city that the whole foods is absorbing all kinds of business it normally hasn't.
Last time I went there the prices were cheaper on a lot of things than Safeway.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
Now when you pause Youtube on a console, the video shrinks so they can display an ad on the right half of your screen. I try to pause videos to read stuff and the video instantly becomes too small for me to read it.

I watched Twitch on my phone for the first time in over a year and they also squashed the stream over to the side to show me an ad on the other side... while the stream was playing!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Now when you pause Youtube on a console, the video shrinks so they can display an ad on the right half of your screen. I try to pause videos to read stuff and the video instantly becomes too small for me to read it.

I watched Twitch on my phone for the first time in over a year and they also squashed the stream over to the side to show me an ad on the other side... while the stream was playing!

This is going to make chess instructional videos super fun to watch.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
The only part of Idiocracy I've seen is the part with the guy watching a TV that had ads all along the borders. It's gonna be like that, isn't it

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Wile E. Toyota posted:

The only part of Idiocracy I've seen is the part with the guy watching a TV that had ads all along the borders. It's gonna be like that, isn't it

smart tvs rock

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Wile E. Toyota posted:

It pretty much already is. :shrug:

A lot of it probably goes unnoticed too. You get all of those ads that pop up during your show of another show on that network. My brain kinda of filters some stuff out automatically. If I paid more attention I'd probably be angrier.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My grocery store tacked another dollar on to half the stuff I buy again. Depressing as hell. They also added an "every day low prices" sticker to most of the things with new higher prices, just to rub it in I guess? I'm surprised that phrase isn't trademarked by Walmart.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I agree with this theory, I type like an insane person using mostly my middle fingers, but I get 90 wpm

This is basically me except with my index fingers. I get a lot of comments on how impressive sounding my typing is.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Coxswain Balls posted:

smart tvs rock

To be clear, is that preventing the watcher from changing the volume before they watch an ad? This is hell lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Wilkins Micawber posted:

To be clear, is that preventing the watcher from changing the volume before they watch an ad? This is hell lol

No. I'm guessing the person just changed the volume when they took the pic so that's why it's up there.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

dumb tvs only

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think the ad is part of the volume change UI. It's a sponsored volume change. This change in volume was brought to you by...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
MCDONALDS!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

thathonkey posted:

Un chien Andouille

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Dog sausage?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
All I know is, they slice up eyeballs to make it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My poor lions

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
I know we're not supposed to publicly talk about how to do piracy or whatever, but, there are cracked youtube apps for android and anything that runs android. I run a pihole on my network so there's no ads in our browsers, and ublock origin and sponsorblock for firefox, ditto for me and my wife's phones.

My kid loves watching mickey mouse, so I put smarttube on our Shield for him and wow, it's amazing. When the video's over it just...stops. And he has to come ask us to put a new one on for him.

No 2 hour long ads, no "here's somethign else you might like" just, like, something working good. He's not bombarded with toy ads. Same deal when he wants to watch one on our phones.

It's awesome. Even when I was a kid I remember watching ads on TV all the time. My kid's never seen an ad.

Ads have become so pervasive that I just had to go full nuclear. I didnt' used to mind them but they're just everywhere now.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cosmik Debris posted:

I know we're not supposed to publicly talk about how to do piracy or whatever, but, there are cracked youtube apps for android and anything that runs android. I run a pihole on my network so there's no ads in our browsers, and ublock origin and sponsorblock for firefox, ditto for me and my wife's phones.

My kid loves watching mickey mouse, so I put smarttube on our Shield for him and wow, it's amazing. When the video's over it just...stops. And he has to come ask us to put a new one on for him.

No 2 hour long ads, no "here's somethign else you might like" just, like, something working good. He's not bombarded with toy ads. Same deal when he wants to watch one on our phones.

It's awesome. Even when I was a kid I remember watching ads on TV all the time. My kid's never seen an ad.

Ads have become so pervasive that I just had to go full nuclear. I didnt' used to mind them but they're just everywhere now.

Wow what a piece of poo poo you are depriving your child. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyg3kn0cfwE Is also acceptable.

I don't know about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo_eZsRTf0o.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

lol no joke I saved an old vhs tape from my grandparents house that had a ducktales special taped off the TV. It had ads for mcdonalds scrabble game, which they did before the monopoly game.

also ads for quantum leap. poo poo is burned into my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
So many restaurants around here don't even have delivery drivers anymore. You call in to order delivery and they're like "oh we're on Ubereats/Postmates/etc" instead. I can't see how that's saving them money long-term.