Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I recall reaching a point where I was taking rewards with cells over basic lootbags because cells are always useful to have around in huge quantities. Bigger fluid cells are also super satisfying to use once you can craft them or get them as quest rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ash Rose posted:

Cannot figure out how to seal up this other room, used stone and the glass from all over the outside of the station and its still a vacuum in here, have no idea how im supposed to really troubleshoot this.

Having fun, excited for what I see you are cooking up, kinda wish there was more storage options at this point but I am a baby who hates juggling several chests.

You need to dig down and seal that area too. And I think stone isn't a sealable material.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Ash Rose posted:

Last Gasp report back so far.

I am sitting at here in the quest log

I have access to 10/10/10 seeds for all but 2 of the magical agriculture seeds I have made, it looks like I'm moving on to gas and maybe power soon?

Making the magician's orb required what felt like way more capacity runes than it should have, the 10 you make for the quest seemed like it should have been enough (10k base, 20k from 10 runes =30k which is 5k more than the 25k the recipe book says it takes) but it wasn't enough so I kept slowly making more of them until I got frustrated and cheated in several just to be sure it could even be done (it was).

Cannot figure out how to seal up this other room, used stone and the glass from all over the outside of the station and its still a vacuum in here, have no idea how im supposed to really troubleshoot this.

Having fun, excited for what I see you are cooking up, kinda wish there was more storage options at this point but I am a baby who hates juggling several chests.

Ah yeah you didn't do that altar right at all. https://ftbwiki.org/Blood_Altar
Note the 'inner' ring on that third level down aren't valid blocks, you made way too many of them.

And the other posters are right, you gotta seal up the entire hole in the structure with something other than stone. Note that you can turn that dried sand in that room into regular sand well before you get earth/fire seeds to make sand yourself. You just need iron buckets. Then smelt it into glass, which seals normally.

Couple of notes:
- Check out the Actually Additions Crate, or if you prefer, Iron Chest's.. Iron Chests. You also have Storage Drawers though I guess I haven't drawn attention to them. Maybe I should do a chapter of 'check out this useful stuff you might not know about'.
- Maintenance replicator lets you make Electric Furnaces and Solar Panels from Engineer's Decor. Electric Furnaces are great imo. As a note I've moved to having the player get 'free' power from the station itself, so even more reason to use the Electric Furnace asap. Spoiler for you though, if you want a boost: There is an Advanced Solar Panel on the small ship looking thing floating out in space, reachable via grappling across some asteroids.
- Another spoiler: There is a key component for making a Portal Gun in the storage room of the laboratory. It's nice for moving between sections of the station.
- Don't forget how much vertical space those side areas have to build in, including 'underground'.
- Let me know if there's anything you would like to be able to replicate, but that doesn't have a Matter value. I'm giving the player the ability to make their own Replicator patterns but matter auto calculation is spotty so I need to assign values manually in order for stuff to work. You'll only have limited recipe slots though.

I'm actually proud enough of what I've done so far that I kinda want to drop an update as is so people can play with the new map stuff if they're coming in new, but quests and recipes for this stage are super incomplete.

Also, a sneak peak at what hides inside the walls of the station:

Also thanks for playing it. :shobon:

---

This is what the quest book looks like so far:

I'm heavily altering Thaumcraft stuff currently (and touching on Astral Sorcery a bit because of how I want to use its crafting altar for doing more advanced recipes), and trying to work out how I want to approach post-IE tech. Which I'm not at yet because I want the player to build an Arc Furnace in order to deal with T3 materials/alloys next.

I vaguely want to work on increasingly more complex technology, but what to do with it is a difficult question. Just dumping the player straight into Mekanism is something I said I wouldn't do, and if anything I'd prefer to make my own increasingly complex multiblocks with Mekanism doing things to augment/support them. I don't wanna go too greggy but moving from steel and gears and basic circuitry use to post space-age technology...

I need to work out what these new Modular Machinery CE upgrades can do and how to use them.

I also feel like I don't require the player to make enough stuff currently. Should I want the player's metal press to be basically running continuously making wires/plates? Their assembler constantly making components and gears? Their solderer constantly making microchip components? etc.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 24, 2024

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Is there a 1.20.1 version of a mod like Forge Lexicon? Something that converts ores from lots of mods into a chosen ore?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

Is there a 1.20.1 version of a mod like Forge Lexicon? Something that converts ores from lots of mods into a chosen ore?

Almost Unified

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Black Pants posted:

- Check out the Actually Additions Crate, or if you prefer, Iron Chest's.. Iron Chests. You also have Storage Drawers though I guess I haven't drawn attention to them. Maybe I should do a chapter of 'check out this useful stuff you might not know about'.

I'm interested in trying this modpack when it's more complete, but I'm much less familiar with older stuff like you're building it with so yeah, that'd be very helpful.

EDIT: do you think it'd be any good in multiplayer?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

I'm interested in trying this modpack when it's more complete, but I'm much less familiar with older stuff like you're building it with so yeah, that'd be very helpful.

EDIT: do you think it'd be any good in multiplayer?

Oh, uh, maybe. One person will have to do the stuff that requires the space suit while the other waits, I suppose. I'm not sure how the Better Questing party system works though, so you might have to then swap and have the other go through the motions lol. I suppose there's nothing stopping you from working together with someone though.

There's a second space suit, of a sort, but you gotta go through a bunch of vacuum to get it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Oh, uh, maybe. One person will have to do the stuff that requires the space suit while the other waits, I suppose. I'm not sure how the Better Questing party system works though, so you might have to then swap and have the other go through the motions lol. I suppose there's nothing stopping you from working together with someone though.

There's a second space suit, of a sort, but you gotta go through a bunch of vacuum to get it.

I usually get like 3-4 people on my little server so sounds like "not really" then :v: It did sound like there was a lot of Things There's One Of so I wasn't really expecting a yes

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
About GTNH fluid movement. You can just shapeless craft a regular cell into a universal cell and it will pick up any amount up to a bucket like the larger cells. I think they don't work for crafting with fluids that way but you don't need fancy volumetric flasks to move small amounts.

E: you can also just shapeless craft them back into regular cells when you're done.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Ah yeah you didn't do that altar right at all. https://ftbwiki.org/Blood_Altar
Note the 'inner' ring on that third level down aren't valid blocks, you made way too many of them.

And the other posters are right, you gotta seal up the entire hole in the structure with something other than stone. Note that you can turn that dried sand in that room into regular sand well before you get earth/fire seeds to make sand yourself. You just need iron buckets. Then smelt it into glass, which seals normally.

Couple of notes:
- Maintenance replicator lets you make Electric Furnaces and Solar Panels from Engineer's Decor. Electric Furnaces are great imo. As a note I've moved to having the player get 'free' power from the station itself, so even more reason to use the Electric Furnace asap. Spoiler for you though, if you want a boost: There is an Advanced Solar Panel on the small ship looking thing floating out in space, reachable via grappling across some asteroids.
- Another spoiler: There is a key component for making a Portal Gun in the storage room of the laboratory. It's nice for moving between sections of the station.
- Don't forget how much vertical space those side areas have to build in, including 'underground'.
- Let me know if there's anything you would like to be able to replicate, but that doesn't have a Matter value. I'm giving the player the ability to make their own Replicator patterns but matter auto calculation is spotty so I need to assign values manually in order for stuff to work. You'll only have limited recipe slots though.

I'm actually proud enough of what I've done so far that I kinda want to drop an update as is so people can play with the new map stuff if they're coming in new, but quests and recipes for this stage are super incomplete.

Also, a sneak peak at what hides inside the walls of the station:

Also thanks for playing it. :shobon:

---

This is what the quest book looks like so far:

I'm heavily altering Thaumcraft stuff currently (and touching on Astral Sorcery a bit because of how I want to use its crafting altar for doing more advanced recipes), and trying to work out how I want to approach post-IE tech. Which I'm not at yet because I want the player to build an Arc Furnace in order to deal with T3 materials/alloys next.

I vaguely want to work on increasingly more complex technology, but what to do with it is a difficult question. Just dumping the player straight into Mekanism is something I said I wouldn't do, and if anything I'd prefer to make my own increasingly complex multiblocks with Mekanism doing things to augment/support them. I don't wanna go too greggy but moving from steel and gears and basic circuitry use to post space-age technology...

I need to work out what these new Modular Machinery CE upgrades can do and how to use them.

I also feel like I don't require the player to make enough stuff currently. Should I want the player's metal press to be basically running continuously making wires/plates? Their assembler constantly making components and gears? Their solderer constantly making microchip components? etc.

Do you have some way of updating the map with updates without destroying built blocks? I'm wondering if I need to worry about the map being in a final state before I start playing again.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

Do you have some way of updating the map with updates without destroying built blocks? I'm wondering if I need to worry about the map being in a final state before I start playing again.

No, unfortunately. Not station changes, anyway. I'd like to say that I'm done messing with the station but I'm not 100% sure.

That said, any major building work I do now is probably going to be using other dimensions, which can be just dropped in without touching existing stuff. So I'll give the station a look around to make sure it's as I want and then drop an update with the new map stuff. Any further updates with recipe/quest changes will be fine to update to after that.

Edit: ha ha not me loving up and having to release a hotfix, nope https://legacy.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/last-gasp/files/5058821

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 25, 2024

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Anybody have a problem with the Precise Auto-Assembler in GT:NH just... refusing to accept power? Even though I have an EBF on the same power lines working just fine, the PAA just refuses to accept or detect power on the line it's connected to and won't start. I'm about at my wit's end with how inconsistent and fussy the loving multiblocks in this pack are.

/edit: Apparently the controller block even says it has energy! It just keeps saying it doesn't have enough energy to start the recipe even though that's absolutely not loving true.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 26, 2024

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

RocketMermaid posted:

Anybody have a problem with the Precise Auto-Assembler in GT:NH just... refusing to accept power? Even though I have an EBF on the same power lines working just fine, the PAA just refuses to accept or detect power on the line it's connected to and won't start. I'm about at my wit's end with how inconsistent and fussy the loving multiblocks in this pack are.

/edit: Apparently the controller block even says it has energy! It just keeps saying it doesn't have enough energy to start the recipe even though that's absolutely not loving true.

Double check the recipe? It might require more amps than you have hatches for.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

McFrugal posted:

Double check the recipe? It might require more amps than you have hatches for.

It should be 30,720EU/t of power, which 1A of LuV would cover. I have AT LEAST 4 amps coming out of that dynamo hatch on my LSC, and I was able to run the necessary ZPM recipes on an EBF for the cerium-doped M200 steel used in the Precise Auto-Assembler casings without issue.

/e: poo poo, I'll check to make sure it's not crossing chunk boundaries when I get home from work.

/e: Nope, even that wasn't it! I'm absolutely stumped.

/e: Oh, the 21 lower casings and the energy input hatch have to match tiers. It's always something.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 27, 2024

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
What kind of stuff can blood magic do for you in GTNH? It's not a mod I've ever really used, and I'm too busy when in game to try to research it there.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

American Dad posted:

What kind of stuff can blood magic do for you in GTNH? It's not a mod I've ever really used, and I'm too busy when in game to try to research it there.

There are two standout benefits: teleposers and summoning meteors. Teleposers are cross-dimensional teleports. They're the earliest form of interdim teleport. Meteors are full of ore, and let you get unusual stuff without having to go to space. There is a whole NEI tab for all of the meteors you can summon, look for uses of a heavy plate (the kind you use to make spaceship rockets) to get to the tab so you can inspect all the recipes.

I believe both of these require at least EV/IV tech to get the required altar tier level. It also requires a shitload of Thaumcraft research and something like a full quarter of the warp load of the entire Thaumonomicon. Be warned that if you do get meteors, and talk about GTNH with anyone else, you will probably become THAT guy who says "just spawn a meteor for X resource" any time it's even vaguely applicable.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Teleposers will teleport anything including the player, which is nice too. gently caress Node in a Jar when you can just telepose nodes where you want.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh man I remember Node In A Jar being super annoying to use with the chance of damaging the node, I think at both ends of the journey? Definitely not something to use if you have some other method of teleporting the node somewhere more convenient. Especially since I remember there being multiple ways of damaging a node and none of improving one.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Node In A Jar wasn't that bad if you let it fully recharge first but was still a hassle. Improving a node meant slamming it onto an Advanced Node Stabilizer and feeding it other nodes until you had a monster.

TC4 was batshit insane.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I honestly don't recall ever damaging a node by jarring/dejarring it in TC4, at least not enough that it wasn't up to the tasks I needed it to do.

The best way to grow TC4 nodes, however, is to have Chromaticraft installed, plop the node down in a Rainbow Forest, chunkload it and leave it for a week until it has 100s to 1000s of all the aspects it started with. :q:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Finally got the tinker's slimesling in GT:NH and what the hell, it sucks. What happened to the incredible overpowered slimesling I remember? :negative:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Multiblocks!

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Black Pants posted:

Multiblocks!

Speaking of, can you give me a primer on moving liquids in this pack? I'm at the 'making plastic' part and for the life of me I can't figure out how to move things with pipes.

Also I completely replaced all the stone I was using to plug in the open section with glass and it Still isn't sealing.

More general advice is to maybe stretch out the quests for making plastic since each step here feels like I need to stop and largely figure out how several multiblock/alternative crafting systems work. Could just be my utter lack of pneumaticraft knowledge.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ash Rose posted:

Speaking of, can you give me a primer on moving liquids in this pack? I'm at the 'making plastic' part and for the life of me I can't figure out how to move things with pipes.

Also I completely replaced all the stone I was using to plug in the open section with glass and it Still isn't sealing.

More general advice is to maybe stretch out the quests for making plastic since each step here feels like I need to stop and largely figure out how several multiblock/alternative crafting systems work. Could just be my utter lack of pneumaticraft knowledge.

Make sure you plug the elevator shaft too. And make sure the oxygen vent is even turned on, it might be set to require a redstone signal instead of being Always On.

And I did write how to move fluids in the Water Woes quest. Basically until you can make the Mekanism Fluid Pipes you gotta use IE pumps aka how I've got the setup there in the screenshot. Make sure you use the hammer to change one of the sides to an output (orange) and use a lever to make it pump fluid.

And okay I suppose that's fair re plastic, though having the player get a quest and then go about figuring out how to reach the goal is kinda the point. But the normal process is this:

- Place 4 PNC Refinery blocks in a stack, and then place Vortex Tubes such that the red side is touching the refineries. You only need 1 for each, but you can place them on all sides if you feel like building that many. For optimal heat production, you (paradoxically) place Heat Sinks on the blue sides of the Vortex Tubes, because that will uh.. absorb the cold and let the tube heat up more. The point is making the Refineries really hot. These vortex tubes will need air pressure, lots of it.

- Pump oil into the bottom Refinery and it'll fill up. Once it's hot enough, it and the 3 refineries above it will start filling with Diesel, Gasoline, Kerosene and LPG respectively. Diesel is good for making Lubricant with (which you want to make Speed Upgrades), but otherwise the only one you care about for now is LPG.

- Bucket LPG out into a Thermopneumatic Processing Plant, with Coal in the middle slot, and heat it up. This will start turning the LPG into Liquid Plastic.

- Bucket the Liquid Plastic out into a Plastic Mixer with red/green/blue dye in it to produce solid plastic.

The multiblock I've just introduced with the update simplifies the first step basically, by using RF instead of heating up Vortex Tubes. You still pipe oil into the fluid input port and Diesel/Gasoline/LPG will be produced in the outputs. Once you've got your first plastic from PNC you'll be able to work on producing Bioplastic from Emerging Technologies instead.

Edit: Hmmmm

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 30, 2024

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I swear there used to be a way, around the time of GT:NH, that you could pull the growing fruit blocks off trees and place them beneath other, player-placed leaf blocks. I distinctly remember having a growing overhead sort of hedgerow of leaves covered in fruits from all different trees.
I thought shears did this, but apparently not. Is there a way to do this?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I swear there used to be a way, around the time of GT:NH, that you could pull the growing fruit blocks off trees and place them beneath other, player-placed leaf blocks. I distinctly remember having a growing overhead sort of hedgerow of leaves covered in fruits from all different trees.
I thought shears did this, but apparently not. Is there a way to do this?

Do you have access to Blood Magic teleposers?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I may be attempting to do things with Modular Machinery that nobody else has done before?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

I may be attempting to do things with Modular Machinery that nobody else has done before?

I feel like everybody who tries that always is doing something that hasn't been done before.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I feel like everybody who tries that always is doing something that hasn't been done before.

Well specifically this is working with a feature introduced in Modular Machinery Community Edition, which is apparently currently only in 5 packs on Curseforge, including mine. And requires trying to decipher the source, heh.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

Well specifically this is working with a feature introduced in Modular Machinery Community Edition, which is apparently currently only in 5 packs on Curseforge, including mine. And requires trying to decipher the source, heh.

Man, I got triggered seeing "Community Edition," but way to go on them trying to update it like that.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I love modpack innovation.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There's actually been quite a resurgence of people stepping up and forking/updating abandoned mods on 1.12. For example AE2's last update for the version was in 2019, and so now there's AE2 Unofficial Extended Life and its addons.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh my god I'm building my first EBF and only just now discovered that the kill quests in GT:NH are repeatable.

I've killed so many of these guys and not been credited, I could be swimming in thousands of coins. :negative:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

There's actually been quite a resurgence of people stepping up and forking/updating abandoned mods on 1.12. For example AE2's last update for the version was in 2019, and so now there's AE2 Unofficial Extended Life and its addons.

I have mixed feelings about that. When I was trying the latest All The Fabric, I decided I like older mods than newer Minecraft, but I'd rather have newer mods and newer Minecraft. There's some fracturing going on. There were people in Reddit trying to encourage me to fix a thing in BFSR a year ago and that's 1.7.10!

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I'm grateful that the old versions remain so easily accessible, though it's hard not to want at least certain later features when playing earlier versions.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm definitely not against developing for newer versions, even if I don't really ever plan to make a pack using newer version's vanilla features. It's just a more fragmented mod environment. The mod you want might be on 1.18 and 1.19 but not 1.20, while another might be on 1.18 and 1.20 but not 1.19, and yet another might only be on 1.19. And unfortunately a lot of projects were abandoned in 1.16.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Playing GT:NH again really makes you realize just how far back 1.7.10 really is. I kept wondering why the combat shields are so janky and weird and I realized it was because they predated the vanilla shield, or even the offhand slot.
It makes me wish a modern GT:NH recreation were possible, but the uncountable hours that went into this pack can't simply be translated over. What does a modern GT:NH even look like?

I wonder what the closest living relative would be? FTB: Interactions is pretty thematically close, but I could never stick with that one after leaving the skyblock intro because the questbook immediately loses all cohesion, so you get dozens of pages of completely changed recipes and dependencies, but the quests and tutorials guiding you through those and how you can progress/what's available offers no help at all and you're stuck swimming in a sea of JEI and hoping you find the one route that you were intended to take. Omnifactory/Nomifactory feel close for a lot of reasons, but much more "lite", very simple and streamlined in comparison even for all its complexity, and without the real exploration/combat focus. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and I don't miss having to break for the Twilight Forest, but it still feels like only a slice. Still, maybe the closest that currently exists?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

Playing GT:NH again really makes you realize just how far back 1.7.10 really is. I kept wondering why the combat shields are so janky and weird and I realized it was because they predated the vanilla shield, or even the offhand slot.
It makes me wish a modern GT:NH recreation were possible, but the uncountable hours that went into this pack can't simply be translated over. What does a modern GT:NH even look like?

I wonder what the closest living relative would be? FTB: Interactions is pretty thematically close, but I could never stick with that one after leaving the skyblock intro because the questbook immediately loses all cohesion, so you get dozens of pages of completely changed recipes and dependencies, but the quests and tutorials guiding you through those and how you can progress/what's available offers no help at all and you're stuck swimming in a sea of JEI and hoping you find the one route that you were intended to take. Omnifactory/Nomifactory feel close for a lot of reasons, but much more "lite", very simple and streamlined in comparison even for all its complexity, and without the real exploration/combat focus. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and I don't miss having to break for the Twilight Forest, but it still feels like only a slice. Still, maybe the closest that currently exists?

Yeah, those are both the conclusions I'd reach myself. Although FTB:I commits the most ridiculous loving sin by gating mid-tier minerals behind the goddamn Chaos Guardian, which made me quit the pack immediately.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RocketMermaid posted:

Yeah, those are both the conclusions I'd reach myself. Although FTB:I commits the most ridiculous loving sin by gating mid-tier minerals behind the goddamn Chaos Guardian, which made me quit the pack immediately.
This must be a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
You want far back, try the Mango Pack for beta 1.7.3...

https://youtu.be/Qe0SKKB3cjE?si=f6RJ5X74n4Uw9OLB