Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Borsche69 posted:

yeah with ronnie and zeitler you gotta go there

but you would not see me being mad as gently caress if they traded the house to get marvin harrison jr or some fucker. push all the chips to the center of the table

I would be all the gently caress about that. Harrison plus Zay plus Lamar would be loving sick. Who needs an O-line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sharknado slashfic posted:

I dunno man I'm just tired of losing and it's only been an hour. I'll just go lightly troll the aftermath thread with conspiracy theories.

im trying to console myself by saying i got to watch them win it all in my prime early 20s, which is honestly the most you can ever hope for

the wings i was talking about earlier in the week came out good

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ravens really should trade away some assets for a big time wr. mark is a killer but he may as well be any guy in the playoffs when lamar is selling out everything to go down field for half the game or more. or w/e you want. they will be back right away

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

We’ll do what we always do and go for an aging wideout, hoping to catch the Boldin lightning in a bottle again, and you’ll all like it

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Nuk is probably available

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Macdonald is getting poached and we’re going lose several defensive players in FA. It will be a shadow of its former self.

Not that it matters if we just choke and panic in the playoffs again. Need to solve that and I don’t know what the source of that is. It’s not just Lamar, it’s the penalties, play calling, fumbles, the team just lacks discipline.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

mightygerm posted:

Macdonald is getting poached and we’re going lose several defensive players in FA. It will be a shadow of its former self.

Not that it matters if we just choke and panic in the playoffs again. Need to solve that and I don’t know what the source of that is. It’s not just Lamar, it’s the penalties, play calling, fumbles, the team just lacks discipline.

I think Macdonald is safe for next year, actually

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

there are only 2 more vacancies left and he's not gonna leave for another DC job

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Freaquency posted:

I think Macdonald is safe for next year, actually

Nah. He's interviewing with Seattle and Washington this week. One of them will grab him.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

it's called the lamar hunt trophy because lamar is still hunting for one

Oberstwo
Aug 19, 2022

Todd Monkey

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Nah. He's interviewing with Seattle and Washington this week. One of them will grab him.

washington is purportedly more interested in the lions OC and seattle is probably a tossup between dan quinn and macdonald

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

joe burrow only active qb to keep mahomes from a super bowl, makes you think

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I legit missed Joe this year. Hope he can stay healthy in 2024.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

:perfect:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

:boom::balldo::honk:

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

sharknado slashfic posted:

At some point the Ravens being good in the regular season and loving up in the playoffs should probably be addressed by the team

monken going into panic mode happened in all of the season losses + a few shaky games. i'm glad someone who uses receivers in the gameplan is calling plays, but he gets spooked out of running the ball waaaay too easily

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Sour Diesel posted:

monken going into panic mode happened in all of the season losses + a few shaky games. i'm glad someone who uses receivers in the gameplan is calling plays, but he gets spooked out of running the ball waaaay too easily

Unfortunately this will never be addressed or fixed. Every time playcalling is brought into question postgame Harbaugh just brushes it off. The team doesn’t seem to take it seriously.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yeah, he brushes it off to the media but there have been consistent attempts to improve the offense in scheme evolution and changing coaching personnel throughout Harbaugh's tenure. I suspect they will try to get better in the if season. Some injury luck would help with that too.

Sour Diesel posted:

True. Assuming Keaton Mitchell is healthy next year it will be a lot easier for him to put faith in the run game. Hopefully they can reclaim some balance there.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 29, 2024

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
We need to find Lamar's Kubiak. It could have been Roman if he were actually a capable overall OC outside of run play design.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I’m constantly flummoxed by people assuming that Harbaugh not poo poo-talking his coordinators or players is an indication that he doesn’t care, actually. I’d much rather him be taciturn and handle it i private than go full Dennis Allen.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That'd be nice but if they ever did find that young guy with the smarts and teaching ability to scheme up a great game plan for Lamar it would just mean he's a HC somewhere else almost immediately.

Monken seems to be in the upper half of the league. Certainly not at the top, but good enough to let the talent of the players show.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That'd be nice but if they ever did find that young guy with the smarts and teaching ability to scheme up a great game plan for Lamar it would just mean he's a HC somewhere else almost immediately.

Monken seems to be in the upper half of the league. Certainly not at the top, but good enough to let the talent of the players show.

Well I'd want that guy to be made HC there and give Harbaugh the Pete Carroll treatment if need be

Monken is better than Roman was but clearly a lot of the same issues persist and some of that is on Lamar himself but a lot of that suggests to me a greater change is needed before it's too late.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

monken's fine. i saw way more good than bad last year, and i need to see way more bad then good next year before i throw him out with the bathwater.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

It's not Monken I want gone. I'll give him another chance. It's Dunce I want gone. In the 2019 game we did almost the exact same poo poo under Roman who was a run-game fanatic. Threw 60 times despite averaging like 35 a game doing what we do. Then Harbaugh said we should have run more. Then this game comes around and the exact same thing happens. The constants are Dunce and Lamar and I know who I'm picking out of those two to keep.

But the way the team is built clashes with how Monken wants to call a game like this and you saw it against the Chiefs. Monken wants to use his skill position players in these games but we are not built like that. We need to get a WR who can draw double coverage or hope Flowers becomes that but I think Flowers is more of a slot guy. To make those offenses work you need that guy who draws lots of attention. You can't go into a game against the Chiefs where they're strong against the pass and do what we did and expect lots of guys to get open.

What if we franchise Madubuike and see if someone will trade for him and maybe get a top WR as part of that. Or something. I don't know but we need to acquire someone and I wish like you said we could get someone like Harrison Jr but that's not possible from what I can see. But I think if we want to really do better under Monken we need that top guy.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 29, 2024

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It makes no sense to throw everything out. It's rare that first year OCs take the league by storm. Monken exceeded expectations, as did Lamar, and yet there are still clear opportunities for both to improve. They were one score from OT, maybe two from the Superbowl. More than anything over Lamar's playoff career losing the turnover battle is what determined the outcome. That's mostly on him, but it's also highly variable.

I still really like this team and will be excited to see what they can do next year. I especially hope Burrow and Lamar end up healthy at the same time for once. It would be nice to see what they can do.

I do also think the Ravens need to emphasize a scheme that allows them to play a greater amount of two TE. Likely and Andrews are the most reliable skill players on the team. We need both heavily involved. The Kolar isn't bad either for a number 3. Have to use that group better without losing too much of what improved the WR play somehow.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The ravens should hire mike tomlin

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mike tomlin is just an anagram of modd tonken

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Lamar's Kubiak

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Cavauro posted:

Lamar's Kubiak

tfw you only know one thing and you dont know it very well

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
The Raven's need to scheme a way that prevents Lamar from playing hero ball because that's when he's at his worst. He's a great player but he isn't the type of player that can put a team on his back and carry them.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think the scheme in question is having better players around him. When a good but not top tier rookie WR is your best supporting cast mate, things could be better. Flowers was the only WR getting open all game.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think the scheme in question is having better players around him. When a good but not top tier rookie WR is your best supporting cast mate, things could be better. Flowers was the only WR getting open all game.

That's why you don't scheme a heavy passing attack with weakish WRs against a strong pass D and weak run D. So it is the scheme in a lot of ways. Yeah we could have won anyway but give yourself the best chance. If we run and they stop it well so be it. But that was our best chance.

We could get a WR. But I don't even know if that will work. I don't know if Lamar will ever be a consistent downfield passer so I'd say maybe go in on o-line/RB and try to build around his strengths rather than eliminate all weaknesses.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Lamar's Turdiak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Here's the FA list

LB Patrick Queen
DT Justin Madubuike
G Kevin Zeitler
G John Simpson