Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

there’s also almost always implied and explicit heavy drinking but that’s just life in america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Mandel Brotset posted:

I have a soft spot for imperial propaganda like jack ryan etc. I’ve noticed in recent years that almost all of them include a scene near the beginning where the grizzled, reluctant operator with a heart of gold pops some kind of unspecified pills to start the day

that and starting the day with a shot of bourbon. bonus points if they PTSDd their puppy on waking

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

tatankatonk posted:

whats with all the TBI diagnoses whenever US troops get missiled? is it just an easy catch-all category? an admin thing where they'll slowly release the actual injury later? an actual effect of the specific weapon?

Havana syndrome

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

skooma512 posted:

Havana syndrome
They've developed their own syndrome, it leaked from Fort Detrick, and now they're laundering it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mandel Brotset posted:

there’s also almost always implied and explicit heavy drinking but that’s just life in america

the navy seal trick of getting two pours of booze, dumping cocaine in one of them and chugging it, then sipping on the other one is something that’s for sure.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...e-syria-border/

drat getting drone striked sounds like it sucks, good thing the US didn't do that [checks notes] fourteen thousand times

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they've got drones now?!
they've got DRONES now.
well THAT happened.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hey its not fair when they hit back! I'm telling mother about this, just you wait!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It’s not going to be a problem, the US has the biggest, strongest, most powerful military in the world. I think they know how to fight and win a war even without total air supremacy. :smug:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
what do you even do against drone strikes with the american military right now?

feels like asking this question should have informed some of the decisions that brought us to this point

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

hubris.height posted:

Die, evidently.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hubris.height posted:

feels like asking this question should have informed some of the decisions that brought us to this point

C-RAM go brrrrr

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hubris.height posted:

Play the latest Call of Duty and dream about the first gulf war invasion of Iraq.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mandel Brotset posted:

Every statistic I have seen suggests most Americans barely drink

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Weka posted:

depends what state

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

hubris.height posted:

Personal cope cage by Raytheon.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/26/us-planning-to-station-nuclear-weapons-in-uk-amid-threat-from-russia-report

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol uk unable to afford any deterrence at all.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

hubris.height posted:

We spent 2 years doing everything we could to not take any lessons from the Ukraine war lol. sounds like we are really not prepared to deal with FPV warfare or what to do about 25k shahed swarms

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
TBI talk got me remembering that blast gauge program that got shut down in 2016 and I found this case study about the sensors they were using.

the experiment was set up so that the sensors detect pressure events, and call them as red, amber, or green, based on the severity of the impact. this summary doesn't have specifics on the pressure levels and I didn't go looking. they record all pressure events. a poo poo-ton of them can't be analyzed, a bunch happened while the soldier wasn't wearing a helmet, a bunch couldn't be linked reliably to a medical record or soldier, lots of data issues. but they did get some data to analyze. there's a summary of an interesting conference talk in the summary:

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/trecms/pdf/AD1065366.pdf

quote:

To highlight the current state of sensors as a potential screening tool for mTBI, Colonel Greene presented preliminary data from the Known Events Tracker (Figure 3), a list of PCEs defined by the four criteria set forth by the DoD. From this list of events, 378 occurred while the service member was outfitted with a sensor. Of these 378 events, sensors triggered a warning (defined as a red or amber light output) in 12 cases; 9 of the 12 warnings were eventually confirmed concussions, a positive predictive value of 75%. The sensors issued no warning (defined as a green light or no output) in 366 of the events, 121 of which were confirmed concussions. Therefore, the sensitivity of the sensor was 9/130 (6.9%, Figure 3). In other words, the sensors missed 93.1% of concussions amongst the potentially concussive events
or, to put it another way: the threshold for pressure wave intensity that can cause a concussion is horrifyingly low. those "green" events are the ones that can be detected by the sensor but weren't thought to be worth caring about. the ones small enough that it's not worth changing the indicator on the unit. and half of the people exposed to green-class events got concussions.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

SixteenShells posted:

TBI talk got me remembering that blast gauge program that got shut down in 2016 and I found this case study about the sensors they were using.

the experiment was set up so that the sensors detect pressure events, and call them as red, amber, or green, based on the severity of the impact. this summary doesn't have specifics on the pressure levels and I didn't go looking. they record all pressure events. a poo poo-ton of them can't be analyzed, a bunch happened while the soldier wasn't wearing a helmet, a bunch couldn't be linked reliably to a medical record or soldier, lots of data issues. but they did get some data to analyze. there's a summary of an interesting conference talk in the summary:

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/trecms/pdf/AD1065366.pdf

or, to put it another way: the threshold for pressure wave intensity that can cause a concussion is horrifyingly low. those "green" events are the ones that can be detected by the sensor but weren't thought to be worth caring about. the ones small enough that it's not worth changing the indicator on the unit. and half of the people exposed to green-class events got concussions.

It's shame that program got shut down right as it was about to show the the military should have massive liability for all the concussions its causing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Personal cope cage by Raytheon.

A repurposed chicken coop mounted on supermarket trolley wheels. 2 million dollars each.

If you want the off road deluxe version upgraded with BMX wheels that's 2.5 million per unit.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol the news has a guy on begging for attacks in iran

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Real hurthling! posted:

lol uk unable to afford any deterrence at all.

I don't think it is about the UK beyond it is politically reliable. It's just a closer launch platform if America itself feels threatened.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Weka posted:

I don't think it is about the UK beyond it is politically reliable. It's just a closer launch platform if America itself feels threatened.

i think it's also a weird kinda threat to the UK

like if poo poo kicks off even if the UK tried to stay out of it, there's nukes here now so it's going to get hit by Russian nukes

it's the US making sure we know we're going if they go. If you look at all the other flashpoints going on right now, the UK is knee deep in the poo poo. We're even the ones giving Ukraine long range missiles after the US pointedly refused. And they've been using these missiles to attack Russian officials and generals. It's like someone is making sure the UK is deep in every possible quagmire.

Regarde Aduck has issued a correction as of 06:38 on Jan 29, 2024

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Curious with all this talk about TBI - how do the Russians deal with it (or not) given their focus on artillery?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Curious with all this talk about TBI - how do the Russians deal with it (or not) given their focus on artillery?

they used a pencil

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

doesnt the uk have its own missiles stations or was their nuclear program all sub/air based?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Z the IVth posted:

my understanding is that a lot of this has to do with the way artillery pieces are used and designed. It used to be that a "field gun" [high muzzle velocity, flat trajectory] and a "howitzer" [lower muzzle velocity, high-angle trajectory] were two different things.

a field gun would be 105mm artillery, and a howitzer would be 155mm howitzer, for example

the problem is that, at some point, NATO decided that all artillery should be 155m in order to use the same caliber shell all throughout, while also designed to be a gun-howitzer, or an artillery piece that can act as either a field gun or a howitzer

part of how a field gun manages to achieve its high muzzle velocity is that the calibre is smaller (105mm); a howitzer has a bigger shell (155mm), which means a heavier shell, but that's okay, since the muzzle velocity is expected to be less

but if you're trying to push a 155mm shell into the muzzle velocities demanded by field guns, you need to use much bigger (and more chemically dangerous?) powder charges to squeeze out every last bit of force

when you combine that with:

- artillery pieces also lack gun shields, because gun shields add weight, and you want the piece to be as light as possible for portability, when gun shields are important for protecting the gun crews from shock
- a muzzle brake design that projects more of the force back towards the crews (and all that extra force that has to be dissipated comes from, again, forcing 155mm artillery to act as a gun-howitzer)
- troops that aren't disciplined enough to dig proper firing positions for themselves

and you get artillerists with brain damage

somebody's going to have to dig up specifics, but as far as I know, Russia doesn't design artillery like this, and so doesn't run into quite the same problems (as much)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It doesn't hurt that the Russian artillery formations aren't "optimally manned" like the us was doing against isis

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
doesn't russia use a whole lot of self-propelled artillery? you'd think that would help things on the brain-scrambling front

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

doesnt the uk have its own missiles stations or was their nuclear program all sub/air based?

just the 4 subs

Weka
May 5, 2019

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think it's also a weird kinda threat to the UK

like if poo poo kicks off even if the UK tried to stay out of it, there's nukes here now so it's going to get hit by Russian nukes

it's the US making sure we know we're going if they go. If you look at all the other flashpoints going on right now, the UK is knee deep in the poo poo. We're even the ones giving Ukraine long range missiles after the US pointedly refused. And they've been using these missiles to attack Russian officials and generals. It's like someone is making sure the UK is deep in every possible quagmire.

Didn't Russia say they would definitely nuke Britain if they launched the nukes back in 2022?

As to the rest, maybe, but it seems to me you would have to restrain Britain from jumping into these messes. Your political class love the yanks, I suppose because they represent power and wealth.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

doesn't russia use a whole lot of self-propelled artillery? you'd think that would help things on the brain-scrambling front

Yeah, the length of the barrel and being armored compared helps a lot, ak lot of it is doctrine. That said, a fair amount of it is specifically the M777 howitzer.

The issue really isn't using the larger calibers that have been around since the First World War, but they tried to jam a medium howitzer into the weight class of basically a field gun. That means a much more aggressive muzzle break, no shield, a shorter barrel, frequent use of red bag charges, shorter lanyards, and usually no trench work, basically doing everything to promote TBIs as aggressively as possible in exchange for a lighter and more easily transportable gun.

It is a clear signal from the politicians to the brass to the average soldier that their livelihood is completely meaningless as tools of the empire.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Cerebral Bore posted:

you get protection from the muzzle but i imagine the small enclosed space could create a lot of pressure on the other end

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Weka posted:

Didn't Russia say they would definitely nuke Britain if they launched the nukes back in 2022?

As to the rest, maybe, but it seems to me you would have to restrain Britain from jumping into these messes. Your political class love the yanks, I suppose because they represent power and wealth.

oh yeah this country is a trash fire and no one needs any help to gently caress things up

it's just... odd. Like with the Ukraine, Gaza and Yemen stuff it seems like there's this weird drive to be involved while other countries are obviously trying to distance themselves from the whole mess. There's probably a whiteboard somewhere that just says 1. gently caress everything up........... 4. profit???

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Weka posted:

Every time I've drank with Americans suggests this too

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Haaretz

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...03351#925403351

Houthis launched rocket at U.S. warship in Gulf of Aden
Reuters
9:05 AM

The Iran-aligned Houthis launched a rocket at U.S. warship Lewis B. Puller as it sailed through the Gulf of Aden on Sunday, the group's military spokesman said in a statement on Monday.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Megamissen posted:

you get protection from the muzzle but i imagine the small enclosed space could create a lot of pressure on the other end

isn't the other end supposed to be sealed tight by the breech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yes, self-propelled guns provide good if not great protection for their crew from blast effects - you're essentially in a giant, 360-degree gunshield, that might also be NBC-quality protection