Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Flatline is so so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It really is, it all comes together so perfectly at the end.

Plus!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just got to season 17 and Destiny of the Daleks. Kind of strange that Romana just decides to regenerate on a whim and choose Astra's form. I like that her outfit also includes a ridiculously large scarf just like the Doctors.

Doesn't really explain why she is just kind of like "I'mma regenerate " at a whim.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Hollismason posted:

Just got to season 17 and Destiny of the Daleks. Kind of strange that Romana just decides to regenerate on a whim and choose Astra's form. I like that her outfit also includes a ridiculously large scarf just like the Doctors.

Doesn't really explain why she is just kind of like "I'mma regenerate " at a whim.

IIRC, that scene was written by the script editor at the time, a fellow named Douglas Adams.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

IIRC, that scene was written by the script editor at the time, a fellow named Douglas Adams.

You can kind of tell that Douglas Adams influence on Doctor Who when he was script editor. There's all these humorous asides etc.. that are all very much Douglas Adams.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Just got to season 17 and Destiny of the Daleks. Kind of strange that Romana just decides to regenerate on a whim and choose Astra's form.

Given what happened in season 17, this bit from The Armageddon Factor always cracks me up:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
LMAO at the music playing in Destiny of the Daleks while the Doctor is just wheeling Davros around against his will.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The state of the dalek props in Destiny is absolutely shocking. Budgetary problems aside it really didn't help that the BBC kept loaning them out on publicity tours where they'd get inevitably banged up and would then not provide the money to restore them back to decent condition. Not that it mattered that much, attention to detail was so poor in several scenes throughout the story theres one dalek which has the top half badly misaligned with the bottom. Now maybe I'm just a stickler for detail, but come on.

Plus you might spot in some scenes a rather odd looking dalek which has a skirt with completely wrong proportions. Apparently this was created by chucking the top half of a former background prop onto a poorly made skirt originally made for an exhibition as they were so desperate for functional props. Generally known as "Oddball", this wierd dalek kept showing up all the way into Revelation.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Gatwa's screwdriver is fine but it's especially weird that in a season where it looks like magic and myth are more real than ever the sonic has changed to look like a magic wand than ever.

It looks like a weird cell phone or palm pilot, or maybe the toy version of either where it can be a funky silly shape since it's for kids.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Hollismason posted:

People used to be aghast not just that she seemed to regenerate on a whim, but that she seemed to burn through several regenerations in a row just to try out different faces. (That interpretation seems to have disappeared since the new series with The Christmas Invasion, though.)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Hollismason posted:

My headcanon on that is that she's decided that, now she's going to have to be a space/time fugitive just like the Doctor, she may as well regenerate into a mindset which can better handle that/will actually enjoy it. Time Lords would rather burn a regeneration than go to therapy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's rather trivial to explain away with all the weird stuff with regeneration that has come up since the revival. She's not burning through four lives, it's just one because "she's not done cooking yet." And as a member of Gallifrey's elite Romana will obviously be granted a new set of regenerations by the High Council.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rochallor posted:

And as a member of Gallifrey's elite Romana will obviously be granted a new set of regenerations by the High Council.

I don't think Romana would have those privileges, she's a Time Lord but not a significant one. She'd just get the thirteen lives like all the rest.

Plus once she becomes a renegade (so pretty much Destiny Of The Daleks onward) she effectively abdicates any of the privileges she'd once possessed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I just assume that The Doctor doesn't have any control over his regeneration like other Time lords did because he flunked out of Time Lord school. Romana even says he got terrible grades at the academy. He probably just never learned. I think there's even a part when the 4th Doctor meets one of his teachers at the academy and his teacher straight up tells him he was a terrible student.

Like Romana makes a point to even say stuff like "Oh I just stopped my heart like I learned at the academy".

So the Academy teaches Time Lords how to be Time Lords.

I mean it makes sense because hte Doctor is some shifty miscreant that flunked out of school and stole a outdated time machine and fled the planet.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 29, 2024

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I’ve been watching all of NuWho again and now I’m going through the 13th episodes for the first time. There are sure a lot of shots of the fam standing next to each other in a perfectly spaced line while the Doctor expositions at them, huh?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The state of the dalek props in Destiny is absolutely shocking. Budgetary problems aside it really didn't help that the BBC kept loaning them out on publicity tours where they'd get inevitably banged up and would then not provide the money to restore them back to decent condition. Not that it mattered that much, attention to detail was so poor in several scenes throughout the story theres one dalek which has the top half badly misaligned with the bottom. Now maybe I'm just a stickler for detail, but come on.

Plus you might spot in some scenes a rather odd looking dalek which has a skirt with completely wrong proportions. Apparently this was created by chucking the top half of a former background prop onto a poorly made skirt originally made for an exhibition as they were so desperate for functional props. Generally known as "Oddball", this wierd dalek kept showing up all the way into Revelation.

David Gooderson, who played Davros in that story, is also a wearing Davros mask that: a) had been used five years earlier in Genesis, and b) had been sculpted around Michael Wisher's features.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I’ve been watching all of NuWho again and now I’m going through the 13th episodes for the first time. There are sure a lot of shots of the fam standing next to each other in a perfectly spaced line while the Doctor expositions at them, huh?
I'm on a watchthrough of NuWho and everything from season 9 onwards is going to be new to me. I'm incredibly excited to see what the hype is about Heaven Sent, World Enough and Time, Husbands of River Song and The Doctor Falls.

My girlfriend and I (she is new to the show) are also going to watch all of 13th, though we're expecting it to be what she calls a "salt watch".

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Davros1 posted:

David Gooderson, who played Davros in that story, is also a wearing Davros mask that: a) had been used five years earlier in Genesis, and b) had been sculpted around Michael Wisher's features.

Yes and if I remember right it was made worse by the fact the latex had shrunk since it was last used so even if they managed to get Michael Wisher back it wouldn’t have fit him properly either.

There’s a lot wrong with Destiny so the state of the props isn’t that high on the list all things considered, but given the return of the Daleks was a big thing back then you would think the BBC as tight as they were/are would have made a provision to ensure they at least look good on screen.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

SirSamVimes posted:

My girlfriend and I (she is new to the show) are also going to watch all of 13th, though we're expecting it to be what she calls a "salt watch".

So far, for me, the 13th’s run hasn’t been as actively terrible as I expected from all the complaints, but it’s also been taking longer for me to get through compared to the earlier seasons just because it’s so… boring, I guess? There are quite a few moments in RTD’s and especially Moffat’s runs that were objectively awful, but I still continued watching because it was bad in a silly and entertaining way, or the actors put in enough effort to save the script. Though Whitaker’s Doctor is entertaining, I’m just not as invested in all of the characters.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Maybe 15 uses a remote control because unlike all prior Doctors, who used a magic wand to fight mostly science stuff, he's fighting myth and magic stuff with a science thing.

I hope that made sense.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Maybe 15 uses a remote control because unlike all prior Doctors, who used a magic wand to fight mostly science stuff, he's fighting myth and magic stuff with a science thing.

I hope that made sense.

No, that makes sense and is a kinda cool read on it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I really dig that as a read on things.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

The Crystal Maze has such an odd production history.

In 1989, French tv was making a show, Fort Boyard, a game show about solving puzzles, doing challenges, and collecting keys to a treasure room at the end of the episode. British tv company Chatsworth acquired the format, but couldn’t schedule time to film at the titular Fort Boyard (a real fort completely surrounded by the sea off the coast of France!) so they initially made a FB pilot using sets and filmed it at Elstree studios. It looked dreadful, so they asked FB’s creator for help and he suggested the Crystal Maze format.

Eventually the UK did get its own Fort Boyard with Geoffrey Bayldon, Leslie Grantham and Melinda Messenger hosting/as characters (and eventually Tom Baker!) and is one of 34 countries to have their own version of the show!

My companion and I watched an ep last year while in France and it’s wild. For one, the episode was 2.5 hours long, and there’s a huge amount of lore behind it all where the characters in the fort all have their own motivations and history, which evolves season to season.

Funny cos the first time I even heard about Fort Boyard was a week or so ago - they made a Fort Boyard video game - mostly FMV - and a speedrun of it ran during this year's AGDQ Awful Block. Some of the worst old age makeup I've ever seen.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

You don't have to do this. You can just walk away.

Think of every time the Doctor told someone this and they ignored them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I'm trying to remember which EU story it is that has the Doctor say this, and then the evil alien menace thinks about the offer for five seconds and says, "actually, hey, yeah, that's a good idea. We'll take you up on this."

Followed by the Doctor mentally going fuuuuuuck because it turns out that repatriating a slavering alien horde that's actually trying to do better is way tougher and more involved than just tricking said horde into self destruction.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Random Stranger posted:

Not quite the same thing, but the Mark Gatiss-starring radio series Nebulous from about 20 years ago has, aside from being a Pertwee era spoof in general, a very timely direct parody of The Claws of Axos.

It's also written by the guy who played the cyborg waiter dude in Deep Breath!

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's also written by the guy who played the cyborg waiter dude in Deep Breath!

Speaking love.. what was the general consensus on his death? Talked into suicide or pushed? I'm a fan of the former.

Also if anyone cared, got about... 45 minutes? into minuet before I got wide side tracked and haven't been able to force myself back to finish 😂

Whoever script edited this, read the sections with Nicholas Courtney hunt and peck typing his exposition, and approved it - you are a hack.

Edit probably bothers me a lot more this time around because big finish has gotten so much better at working it in organically

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

McGann posted:

Speaking love.. what was the general consensus on his death? Talked into suicide or pushed? I'm a fan of the former.

Not super relevant to the question but that was a different dude

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

McGann posted:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not super relevant to the question but that was a different dude

Oh, darn. Now I have to re-watch Deep Breathe. For shame.

Anyone speak whatever that language is which uses the Eyebrows to talk? What's he telling us????

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pushed (although it feels to be like it's closer to assisted suicide, the robot wishes to die, it's just not allowed to) and that's the trigger for his entire 'am I a good man' spiral that basically defined his life.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

Anyone speak whatever that language is which uses the Eyebrows to talk? What's he telling us????

Yeah that's Delphon for "pushed tinman out of fleshballoon cafe."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

McGann posted:

Oh, darn. Now I have to re-watch Deep Breathe. For shame.

Delphons, I think?

12 certainly knew where the 4th wall was.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
4th doctor mugs for the camera a lot and sometimes speaks directly to it. It's offputting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hollismason posted:

4th doctor mugs for the camera a lot and sometimes speaks directly to it. It's offputting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb0p1AfLJ6w

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm trying to remember which EU story it is that has the Doctor say this, and then the evil alien menace thinks about the offer for five seconds and says, "actually, hey, yeah, that's a good idea. We'll take you up on this."

Followed by the Doctor mentally going fuuuuuuck because it turns out that repatriating a slavering alien horde that's actually trying to do better is way tougher and more involved than just tricking said horde into self destruction.

This kind of happens in forest of the dead and the eleventh hour. Hell, it even happens when 12 has to be Missy's Jailor for a thousand years.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm always shouting at the screen telling them what to do so I'd appreciate it if the Doctor stopped and asked for my input Dora Explorer style.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9xUK6ZL9lk

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I'm watching Mawdryn Undead and I love Mawdryn just showing up and telling the companions "yeah I'm The Doctor after another regeneration and I'm all hosed up looking because that can just happen sometimes" and they have to go along with it for a little bit because they can't say for sure that isn't true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
And I also love that he does it with all the 'charm' of Mark McKinney whining "please, please please" in this KitH sketch" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZWCTk35650