Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's not the Phase II Enterprise though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

That's not the Phase II Enterprise though.

Yeah, it is. Probert designed the Phase II Enterprise and then the design went through several modifications before Magicam actually built the model that got used in TMP. That's the Phase II Enterprise, you can tell by the nacelle struts in particular.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Soul Dentist posted:

I like Enterprise better than Voyager also. I don't think there's high points in Voyager at all

Enterprise has better characters, and that carries it for me. Whether or not the characters actually do anything worth watching is up for debate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

See, the nacelle pylons look the same to me, but I'm just now noticing the deflector dish.

There apparently exists TOS back glass for it, but it was scrapped early on.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
ENT and VOY are both bad. Which one is worse depends on the day.

Neither are anywhere near as bad as Discovery, which is the worst Trek by far.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Accipiter posted:

ENT and VOY are both bad. Which one is worse depends on the day.

Neither are anywhere near as bad as Discovery, which is the worst Trek by far.

The worst episode of Discovery is better than the best episode of Enterprise, though the best episode of Discovery would be very subpar for Voyager.

From what everyone says, Picard is possibly worse than any of the three, but I don't intend to find out.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

disaster pastor posted:

The worst episode of Discovery is better than the best episode of Enterprise, though the best episode of Discovery would be very subpar for Voyager.

From what everyone says, Picard is possibly worse than any of the three, but I don't intend to find out.

No sorry this is insanity
Enterprise and Voyager both have pretty rubbish characters but I think at least Enterprise has a solid 4 and Voyager only has...two?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Taear posted:

Enterprise and Voyager both have pretty rubbish characters but I think at least Enterprise has a solid 4 and Voyager only has...two?

IIRC, you think Far Beyond the Stars is bad, so I'm not surprised we're on opposite sides of "is Enterprise good?"

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Taear posted:

The Doctor didn't spend years in the delta quadrant for you to question his solidity!!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

disaster pastor posted:

IIRC, you think Far Beyond the Stars is bad, so I'm not surprised we're on opposite sides of "is Enterprise good?"

I said why though - when you're watching it week on week an episode of "whoa what if it's not real" just doesn't hit
I can't get over that initial feeling either. I get what the episode is saying, I get the use of it. It just wasn't what I wanted at that time

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

bull3964 posted:

Star Trek Strategic Operations Simulator from 1983.
After Atari's Star Wars, this was my other favorite vector game. It's just a flashier version of Spacewar but it's done so well. I only saw the cockpit version once at a bowling alley, but the upright was semi-common.

bull3964 posted:

There was a sign on the machine that said they only ran it on the weekends to maintain stability.
This generation of Sega vector games are notorious for the monitor catching fire: design issues by the monitor supplier to avoid Atari patents. There are hardware hacks to make them safer but it also depends a lot on external power quality.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Taear posted:

I said why though - when you're watching it week on week an episode of "whoa what if it's not real" just doesn't hit
I can't get over that initial feeling either. I get what the episode is saying, I get the use of it. It just wasn't what I wanted at that time

They're very clear that Sisko is having a vision; Bashir explicitly compares what's going on in his brain to the time he found B'hala. Unless you're talking about the end when Sisko sees Benny's reflection in the window, but that's just a narrative conceit, not a "whoa, all this is fake!" moment.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Soul Dentist posted:

I like Enterprise better than Voyager also. I don't think there's high points in Voyager at all

Yeah, this is me. Enterprise has bland characters but I still generally like them more in a "I can tolerate their presence on screen" kind of way. I realized in my last attempt to use Voyager as background noise while working that I just straight up can't stand Tom and Harry. Janeway is basically the only consistently entertaining character and only because Kate Mulgrew is some kind of wizard who managed to do a ton of work with wildly inconsistent and sometimes insane writing for her character.

Enterprise is often very bland, but I don't find myself annoyed with it most of the time.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 28, 2024

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

bull3964 posted:

Star Trek Pinball, 1978.

That is so cool, thank you for the pics and writeup.

But the important part: is it a fun table to play? (The TNG pinball machine from the 90s was legitimately good.)

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, this is me. Enterprise has bland characters but I still generally like them more in a "I can tolerate their presence on screen" kind of way. I realized in my last attempt to use Voyager as background noise while working that I just straight up can't stand Tom and Harry. Janeway is basically the only consistently entertaining character and only because Kate Mulgrew is some kind of wizard who managed to do a ton of work with wildly inconsistent and sometimes insane writing for her character.

Enterprise is often very bland, but I don't find myself annoyed with it most of the time.

Usually my partner goes to sleep first, so I put on Star Trek to fall asleep to. The last time I finished DS9 I switched to Voyager and she said she preferred the other show basing it exclusively on it being background noise.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

Enterprise at least remembers how its characters feel about each other. Voyager never remembered that Janeway and Tuvok are besties, or that Chakotay and Paris hate each other.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Paradoxish posted:

Yep, it's this. Paris and Kim go between utterly forgettable and actively annoying, Chakotay is a big slab of nothing, and Neelix is nails on a chalkboard.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Chakotay is a big slab of nothing

His ability to summon a pan flute is second to none though.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

Enterprise at least remembers how its characters feel about each other. Voyager never remembered that Janeway and Tuvok are besties, or that Chakotay and Paris hate each other.

Didn't Chakoyay just hate Tom as part of the plan to expose the mole?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Didn't Chakoyay just hate Tom as part of the plan to expose the mole?

It's one of the first things we learn about Tom and Chakotay, in the second scene of the show.

quote:

JANEWAY: Maybe. That ship was under the command of another former Starfleet officer, named Chakotay. I understand you knew him.
PARIS: That's right.
JANEWAY: The two of you didn't get along too well, I'm told.
PARIS: Chakotay will tell you he left Starfleet on principle, to defend his home colony from the Cardassians. I, on the other hand, was forced to resign. He considered me a mercenary, willing to fight for anyone who'd pay my bar bill. Trouble is, he was right. I have no problem helping you track down my friends in the Maquis, Captain. All I need to know from you is what's in it for me.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Also, if I recall correctly, Chakotay wasn't in on the plan to sus out the mole. Janeway deliberately kept him in the dark so that his getting on Tom's case over his insubordinate behavior and Tom's subsequent desertion would appear genuine to the mole.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Given how Chakotaybisnkind of a father figure to Torres makes that all extra funny.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
i remember getting a good lol at Chakotay's "Was anybody on that ship working for me?" after Seska. Chakotay's crew had more moles than the Tom Cruise IMF smh

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Powered Descent posted:

But the important part: is it a fun table to play? (The TNG pinball machine from the 90s was legitimately good.)

I'm honestly not good enough at pinball to judge objectively, but it seemed fine when I played it.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Taear posted:

This is Tuvok erasure, though the credit for the character is to the actor and not the writers (most of the time).

As one of the ENT defenders in the thread, I reluctantly have to agree that when VOY is firing on all cylinders, it can be better than ENT. But it's such a rare occasion that VOY can get everything pointed toward a great ep that ENT wins by a significant margin on the average episode.

ENT also stretches toward seriality, while VOY stubbornly hit the reset button at most every opportunity.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
anyone have that gif of voyager smashing into the giant reset button at the end of Year of Hell?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's one of the first things we learn about Tom and Chakotay, in the second scene of the show.

Remember that unusually for a first episode of a Star Trek show, “Caretaker” is NOT an episode about the Captain. It’s actually a Paris episode, and a big part of the climax is Paris proving he’s made of sterner stuff than he says he is when he goes back and saves Chakotay on the collapsing staircase. When Voyager gets dumped into the Delta Quadrant Janeway sends him to Sickbay to help out the EMH; it’s Paris rediscovering his Starfleet courage that gets her to make him a bridge officer instead.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Eason the Fifth posted:

anyone have that gif of voyager smashing into the giant reset button at the end of Year of Hell?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Admiralty Flag posted:

This is Tuvok erasure, though the credit for the character is to the actor and not the writers (most of the time).

The thing about Tuvok is that his best feature is kind of a broken fourth wall. He's fun because you can empathize with his open disdain for the other characters, but it's very clear that the writers want you to think that he's a big old stick in the mud who hates fun. So I like Tuvok but also recognize that I'm not supposed to be cheering when he chokes holo-Neelix to death.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Tuvok, the Squidward to Tom and Harry's Spongebob and Patrick.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

The thing about Tuvok is that his best feature is kind of a broken fourth wall. He's fun because you can empathize with his open disdain for the other characters, but it's very clear that the writers want you to think that he's a big old stick in the mud who hates fun. So I like Tuvok but also recognize that I'm not supposed to be cheering when he chokes holo-Neelix to death.

What

No, the writers want you to be aware that he’s a mean old Vulcan stick in the mud who’s also a caring father and has relatable emotions and experiences he’s dealing with as a Vulcan.

There is an episode where Tuvok dreams about showing up for a bridge shift and then realizes he’s naked. There are multiple episodes where Tuvok lands a punchline on Paris, Kim, or Neelix and they only realize they’ve been owned after he exits stage. There are episodes about him being a caring father to alien children.

You are absolutely supposed to be laughing along when Tuvok lets rip. His “open disdain” is the part you’re reading into Tim Russ’s performance, but his comedic moments are absolutely intentional.

e: to be fair, leaning into the occasional sarcastic utterly devastating comedic powers of Vulcan nature was Nimoy’s trick first, but Russ is very good at carrying the torch forward.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 29, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Paris: Well if we can't transport it out, we'll just have to fly in and grab it.
Tuvok: Perhaps you weren't paying attention when the Malon freighter imploded?

Tuvok, the Chandler of Voyager.

the character from Friends of course, not the profession, although 98% of people are going to think that anyway so I don't know why I'm bothering to clarify this.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Arivia posted:

What

No, the writers want you to be aware that he’s a mean old Vulcan stick in the mud who’s also a caring father and has relatable emotions and experiences he’s dealing with as a Vulcan.

There is an episode where Tuvok dreams about showing up for a bridge shift and then realizes he’s naked. There are multiple episodes where Tuvok lands a punchline on Paris, Kim, or Neelix and they only realize they’ve been owned after he exits stage. There are episodes about him being a caring father to alien children.

You are absolutely supposed to be laughing along when Tuvok lets rip. His “open disdain” is the part you’re reading into Tim Russ’s performance, but his comedic moments are absolutely intentional.

e: to be fair, leaning into the occasional sarcastic utterly devastating comedic powers of Vulcan nature was Nimoy’s trick first, but Russ is very good at carrying the torch forward.

I am saying that the best part of Tuvok is reading open disdain into his performance. Because the other characters are terrible, you see.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Taear posted:

This is what they say about it:

"[Ben] has an easy smile and wit. He signed aboard a Starship for fun and adventure, and as a civilian, isn't subject to the pressures of Starfleet. He likes nothing more than to kid his friends about how seriously they take everything."

I hate that. It diminishes the effort made by Starfleet Academy graduates.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

thotsky posted:

The cadets couldn't handle the Hospitality course's Kobayashi Maru: party of 12 who all have special orders, don't tell you they want to split the bill until after they're done, present you with coupons you've never seen before, and keep making bad jokes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In the future humanity has evolved beyond coupons.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

thotsky posted:

It's funny because he probably got turned into an urn or some bushes when that ancient alien archive began reformatting the ship and it was up to all those serious Starfleet people to solve the problem

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Knormal posted:

Being a waiter on the Enterprise would be waiting for roughly the same 1,000 people repeatedly, with some occasional crew turnover. And they nearly all have a superior officer you can file a complaint with. You wouldn't have to deal with random assholes wandering in like you would in, say, Joseph Sisko's restaurant.

Not just that, but the food literally tastes the same every time. No one reasonably is gonna go "send it back it doesn't taste right" or "where's my food, i ordered 35 seconds ago"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

V-Men posted:

Not just that, but the food literally tastes the same every time. No one reasonably is gonna go "send it back it doesn't taste right" or "where's my food, i ordered 35 seconds ago"

"I literally just told the replicate to make exactly what you told me to tell it to make. If you're food sucks that's on you buddy."

And yeah, other than alien take overs/space anomalies, you really shouldn't have to worry about people causing trouble as like a third of the people in their are probably going to be in security anyway, and if some how no securities there you can probable get some to beam in, in like less than a minute.

Worst you'd have to deal with I guess with be any non federation guest that are a bit surly or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Worst you'd have to deal with I guess with be any non federation guest that are a bit surly or whatever.

Sounds like a problem for the diplomatic team!