Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’m flying more than ever, commercial and charter. This year might be more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My wife is same as ever but they've dialed transatlantic travel way way back. There was a directive recently about sending whoever was most local as the company representative but that policy has mostly fell on deaf ears largely because it's stupid

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
How do they know it's corporate travel versus personal? I have a company CC but book business flights on my personal Delta AMEX for the points.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gravitee posted:

How do they know it's corporate travel versus personal? I have a company CC but book business flights on my personal Delta AMEX for the points.

How does who know?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Delta... The original post was about corporate travel compared to 2019. I just don't know how they measure it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gravitee posted:

Delta... The original post was about corporate travel compared to 2019. I just don't know how they measure it.

They have full time data analysts creating models to do so. Maybe you paid with a corporate card, or maybe you didn't but you fly into DFW every first Monday morning of the month on a J ticket issued by a travel agency associated with Concur.

They don't need 100% accuracy, just to get pretty close.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Gravitee posted:

For trends, that only matters if you used to use your company CC pre pandemic but switched to personal.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They probably also use those post flight surveys where they ask if it was business or personal.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I flew to rural Iowa last Wednesday for a test production at a factory here, that was supposed to be on Friday morning. Cancelled due to the blizzard and rescheduled for tonight at midnight. I supposedly fly home tomorrow afternoon.

This project has been cursed. I question why I like business travel.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I flew to rural Iowa last Wednesday for a test production at a factory here, that was supposed to be on Friday morning. Cancelled due to the blizzard and rescheduled for tonight at midnight. I supposedly fly home tomorrow afternoon.

This project has been cursed. I question why I like business travel.

Do you like your family?

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Residency Evil posted:

Do you like your family?

Depends on the definition of family. Chosen family yes. Blood family....eh.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mandalay posted:

MiseryMap?

Cool thanks again. Actively using this to find my wife a route through the snow cloud of doom that's ruining everyone's day in Chicago right now. Looking like DFW or Houston

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Based on my current status - about 39k points short of EP - and my current estimation of my limited travel schedule for February, I'm fairly certain that I will be 25-30K short of certifying again this year.
I get upgraded quite often and anticipate that I'll be traveling a lot later this year; I know other airlines do it, but has anyone paid to close the gap with AA?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don’t know if you can pay to gap it to exp but it’s usually a few thousand no matter the difference.

Take that money and just pay the difference for first across all of next year imo unless you use the phone a lot for irrops or changes and would benefit from the exp desk.

I just booked a March 1 ticket so the reset to 0 will be minimal

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MIA sky train is MIA

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I am primarily a Delta flier. I have an office in Perth that I will be visiting much more frequently this year; I've finally cottoned onto returning to Seattle through Japan (inbound, I do SEA-LAX-SYD-PER). It looks like ANA only runs PER-HND non-stop through April, so I need to find another default option for PER-HND.

PER-SIN-HND I've done and liked on Singapore, which gets me some Star Alliance points. Other "main" option looks like Cathay. I prefer the late evening flights so I get a full day at office before leaving and then red-eye to Tokyo.

Domestically, Alaska is my 2nd choice since from Seattle, they are the only non-stop option to random cities that aren't Delta hubs / interesting enough for a non-stop.

Thinking I should focus OneWorld as a secondary, so that means... Cathay? Never flown them. There is gently caress all for SkyTeam out of there -- I guess Vietnam Airlines, and I'd connect through Ho Chi Minh, but the reason I like Japan is 1) it's Japan, 2) I can usually line up a dinner or two with partners there.

tl;dr -- OneWorld or Star Alliance to bank secondary travel on, PER-TYO-SEA? Already lean on Alaska as my second domestic airline of choice.

e: ~$70K on Delta last year from Seattle and still no 360 :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

movax posted:

Brutal :(

I was considering throwing a meaningless AA flight to Delta to get that status match until 2026 but doesn’t seem like it’s worth much

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

movax posted:

I am primarily a Delta flier. I have an office in Perth that I will be visiting much more frequently this year; I've finally cottoned onto returning to Seattle through Japan (inbound, I do SEA-LAX-SYD-PER). It looks like ANA only runs PER-HND non-stop through April, so I need to find another default option for PER-HND.

PER-SIN-HND I've done and liked on Singapore, which gets me some Star Alliance points. Other "main" option looks like Cathay. I prefer the late evening flights so I get a full day at office before leaving and then red-eye to Tokyo.

Domestically, Alaska is my 2nd choice since from Seattle, they are the only non-stop option to random cities that aren't Delta hubs / interesting enough for a non-stop.

Thinking I should focus OneWorld as a secondary, so that means... Cathay? Never flown them. There is gently caress all for SkyTeam out of there -- I guess Vietnam Airlines, and I'd connect through Ho Chi Minh, but the reason I like Japan is 1) it's Japan, 2) I can usually line up a dinner or two with partners there.

tl;dr -- OneWorld or Star Alliance to bank secondary travel on, PER-TYO-SEA? Already lean on Alaska as my second domestic airline of choice.

Ditch Skyteam, you're seriously limiting your options because both Japan and Australia don't have a Skyteam airline.

I'd also caution against Cathay because their network is quite weak, their recovery was delayed for so long because of HK/PRC's covid closures. It's almost a skeleton of 2019 still, especially because Singapore took over many of their routes.

I would choose Star in your case and fly Singapore Airlines with Thai as a backup. And you can fly ANA nonstop until the service ends.

It sounds like your employer is paying for business class? ($70k spend is a lot) I would also look into SQ's PPS program if so.

If you're flying coach, then I'd consider oneworld more because those first class lounges in Japan, Australia, and Hong Kong are quite nice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow

What's the analysis for SFO DXB if you're invested in AA and Delta as a distant second

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Hadlock posted:

Wow

What's the analysis for SFO DXB if you're invested in AA and Delta as a distant second

QR all day if you're doing paid J. Same for movax, honestly. SEA-DOH-PER in QSuites is a civilized way to travel and credit to OneWhirled.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Wow

It depends on how invested you are, given there's Emirates nonstops and that's a pretty convenient option. And a really nice business class on the A380.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

That was with maybe 3 paid J (which is why I didn't get 360 I imagine), I just made a LOT of Europe/Asia trips last year in PS, often booking 1-2 weeks out. SkyTeam is still pretty good for my EU travel (Delta / AF / KLM of course) which is more than Asia / Australia at the moment.

Have never done QR or friends, or a Middle East route to PER... can't book suites but they have a business / lay-flat class in addition, right?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

movax posted:

That was with maybe 3 paid J (which is why I didn't get 360 I imagine), I just made a LOT of Europe/Asia trips last year in PS, often booking 1-2 weeks out. SkyTeam is still pretty good for my EU travel (Delta / AF / KLM of course) which is more than Asia / Australia at the moment.

Have never done QR or friends, or a Middle East route to PER... can't book suites but they have a business / lay-flat class in addition, right?

Yeah, they're not slangin 360 your way unless that spend is predominately international J. And even then in a base like SEA, that may not be enough.

QSuites is the J product on most long haul routes, and SEA-DOH definitely qualifies (I did DOH-SEA in April of last year). Looks like the flight times to connect to PER suck though with a 9+ hour layover in DOH and then an A380 with their normal lie flat J instead of the QSuite for the second leg. SEA-DOH is 14 hours but DOH-PER is 11 so it wouldn't be terrible but not as nice as QSuites are. The return is a much more reasonable three hour layover; DOH is a nice airport but doing that on any sort of regular basis and for business would be questionable in my book.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think I am going to do the delta status match. Why not? I don’t use upgrade priority so the 60k LP don’t matter and it’s my biz partner’s turn with CK for our org so I’m not getting it so who cares.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 30, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

i fly airplanes posted:

It depends on how invested you are, given there's Emirates nonstops and that's a pretty convenient option. And a really nice business class on the A380.

Yeah I think for sanity sake nonstop on Emirates trumps oneworld points stuff. Sadly. Apparently in Dubai, business and first class class boards directly from a private lounge on to the plane via private jet bridge on the a380? Pretty wild stuff

Will have to look into QR though double check routes

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

movax posted:

If you're booking Premium Economy, I'd be loyal to oneworld. Often very good op up chances on carriers like CX and QR because they oversell so aggressively. And it's a really good network for you given how strong they are in Asia, in addition to being based in SEA with AS.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I think for sanity sake nonstop on Emirates trumps oneworld points stuff. Sadly. Apparently in Dubai, business and first class class boards directly from a private lounge on to the plane via private jet bridge on the a380? Pretty wild stuff

Will have to look into QR though double check routes

Some of the concourses do at DXB T3, but not all of them. Boarding directly from the lounge is nice, but I'm not too big a fan of the lounge layout because it's open air, even the smoking area. The food/beverage is very good, though. Usually Moet & Chandon Champagne on offer.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 31, 2024

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

movax posted:

Don't know if it helps your decision, but I believe Alaska still awards elite miles for flights on Singapore Air.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

BA is now standardizing their membership year across their program: https://www.britishairways.com/content/executive-club/faqs/tier-point-collection-changes

This, coincidentally, aligns with Iberia's membership year dates.

There have been talk for a long time by the owners IAG about merging the various Avios programs between BA, Iberia, Aer Lingus. Qatar Airways and Finnair also use Avios. It looks like this plan is going full speed ahead. :tinfoil:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My wife has a final (video) interview with the CEO, but it's scheduled while she's traveling in Boston on business so she's in a hotel

In her own words "hotel room lighting is always bad"

Is there somewhere in the Boston/Cambridge area where she can do a video call interview where it's both quiet/private and has excellent lighting. Pretty flexible on budget

Was gonna cross post this to Boston thread but I think the relevant people there already cross read this thread too

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hadlock posted:

My wife has a final (video) interview with the CEO, but it's scheduled while she's traveling in Boston on business so she's in a hotel

In her own words "hotel room lighting is always bad"

Is there somewhere in the Boston/Cambridge area where she can do a video call interview where it's both quiet/private and has excellent lighting. Pretty flexible on budget

Was gonna cross post this to Boston thread but I think the relevant people there already cross read this thread too

Any WeWorks left? Alternately those phone booth / pod things are starting to show up at airports also.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maybe hit a Best Buy, buy a camera light?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

Maybe hit a Best Buy, buy a camera light?

"LED ring light" is the magic phrase. They're <$20 on amazon.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

What hotel? Quite a few I’ve been to recently have had conference rooms you can use/book

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

These are great ideas I have a ring light arriving tomorrow morning and yeah it's reasonably fancy hotel on the waterfront, I'll call the hotel tomorrow about booking a conference room. Thanks!

:tipshat:

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Yeah you are most of the way there already - a high quality LED ring light will make up for 90% of bad lighting situations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I assume she's in Seaport or the financial district since you said waterfront, and there's an abundance of WeWorks around if she wants to get a conference room.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Another conference room rental option is Regus. I've used them numerous times across the country.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beef Of Ages posted:

Another conference room rental option is Regus. I've used them numerous times across the country.

Spaces is a Regus brand and also decent.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Because I'm traveling more for work, I need a smallish suitcase.

I really love my small Samsonite carry-on that's small enough that I never even have to argue about it being a carry-on, but the only other suitcase I have is a 160 liter monstrosity that I bought when I had to bring enough stuff to live in another country for six months.

What's a good medium sized thing in between those? So bigger than a carry-on, but smaller than my family sized "moving to the Middle East with all my clothes" suitcase.

Maybe it's irrational, but I like hardshell. I'm in Europe so that will affect what's available to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Opinions on the wisdom of booking SAS for this summer? There’s a few crazy deals for a flat bed across the Atlantic (prem. econ west business class east for ~1400 level crazy) but I have no idea if they’ll still be in operation, or if transiting any of their hubs is a nightmare.