Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

jaegerx posted:

Do not take the counter offer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Do not buy a boat

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The other acceptable option is taking the new job while doing 1099 work for the previous place at triple your previous rate.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

tokin opposition posted:

Do not buy a boat

Young blood spittin’ wisdom

Boat people are worse than Corvette People, Gun People, Vegans, MMA People and Internet Atheists from an annoyance perspective

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

tehinternet posted:

Boat people are worse than Corvette People, Gun People, Vegans, MMA People and Internet Atheists from an annoyance perspective

When I was younger, I would have taken that as a challenge.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Cyks posted:

Is the new offer a contract as well?

Yes, new offer is contract as well. Also leaning towards not taking the counter offer from currently employer because they had 2 years to convert me to direct hire. gently caress 'em, plus I'll get my foot in the door to a new industry.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Prescription Combs posted:

Yes, new offer is contract as well. Also leaning towards not taking the counter offer from currently employer because they had 2 years to convert me to direct hire. gently caress 'em, plus I'll get my foot in the door to a new industry.

:hmmyes:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

tehinternet posted:

The second best day in the life of a boat owner is the day you buy your boat. The best day is the day you sell it.

I had the best of it though. Had a friend who has a boat, and I worked at a boating store, so I would buy him poo poo with my staff discount and he would take me out fishing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

getting a little jon boat isn't that expensive

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Fool posted:

Do. Not. Buy. A. Boat.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

🚫💵⛵

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you must use a boat, rent or borrow one. It will always be cheaper and less soul destroying.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

The Fool posted:

Seriously get a little flat bottom boat with a small engine and you're g2g

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

Do. Not. Buy. A. Boat.

you're right, you should make plywood sail boats

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/290890/You_Must_Build_A_Boat/

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Buy a sushi boat

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

Do. Not. Buy. A. Boat.

I inherited one :negative:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Having a small sailboat is pretty neat, actually. With good wind I could make it to Ærø and back over a weekend, and I wouldn't need to interact with a single electronic device on the entire trip.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I learned how to sail on a 1980s 29' mamba, we didn't even have a chart plotter until the last few years, so we used paper charts. I still prefer using paper charts for route planning and plotting positions.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
counterpoint: boats rule

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've worked with people over the years who I would like to give The Boats, if you know what I mean

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Current place is trying real hard to keep me. :derp:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're not doing it because they like you they're doing it because they don't have a fallback plan when you're not there.

(as soon as they have that fallback plan you get cut because now they know you're disloyal)

If you really want to turn the screws offer to contract for whatever widget they need you to support and charge a huge fee for it.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Echoing what everyone else has said, they will drop you like a sack of bricks the moment they can do it without major negative consequences. They are fighting to keep you because of said looming consequences. Do not entertain their counteroffers. They could've paid you this much all along and actively chose not to

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

graphs are fun

graph is of message count in a service bus queue this morning
vertical scale is 1k messages per line

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 29, 2024

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Fool posted:

graphs are fun

graph is of message count in a service bus queue this morning
vertical scale is 1k messages per line

Scale issue

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We do a bunch of load capacity planning and scale up everything in advance.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A jonboat seems like the only acceptable boat because it has pretty much nothing to go wrong except maybe welding in a piece of a cookie pan if it rusts.

Just don't take it out onto the open water like that idiot in Florida did and nearly died last year.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

they were really popular where I grew up because they're really easy to load up with gear and still have a shallow enough draft to not get caught on a submerged sand bar

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I had a square stern Coleman brand canoe years ago that was bad rear end. Put a little trolling motor on it and I could toot around wherever fishing or pull it up and paddle along easily enough.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I’m not saying to buy a boat but get gently caress you boat money if they want you back so much.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

what about a small plane

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

tokenbrownguy posted:

what about a small plane

a brown guy flying a plane solo? my dude. inadvisable.

yours in vishnu, a fellow brown

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Don't buy a plane either it's the only thing worse than buying a boat

I'd say don't buy a car either but there are Americans itt

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Office parks with no public transit options for days

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

I'd say don't buy a car either but there are Americans itt

There's an idea being floated around by the Colorado governor where property taxes get calculated based on land value not the building. One of the common arguments against it is that they'll end up tearing out parking garages from downtown areas and putting in dense buildings.

Yes, exactly.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

That was the only part I loved about nyc. No truck. Just public transportation

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ban cars from cities

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Ban office work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

xzzy posted:

There's an idea being floated around by the Colorado governor where property taxes get calculated based on land value not the building. One of the common arguments against it is that they'll end up tearing out parking garages from downtown areas and putting in dense buildings.

Yes, exactly.

Make The Land Pay