Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

Neither of us know why these drives are being sold as consumer drives instead of enterprise drives. The difference is I'm admitting it, and you're saying "well, I can't think of any reason other than them being inferior so that must be it."

Again, even if they failed tests - which tests, and why should we care considering that empirically they seem to work fine and the manufacturer is willing to stand behind them?

e: Even if WD is able to sell 100% of their capacity as enterprise drives, for more money, they might see value in retaining a presence in the consumer market. You are oversimplifying the situation to reach a predetermined conclusion.
None of this explains why they have 3.3V lines - which, again, is something only found on enterprise drives, which are made on separate production lines.
No manufacturer discloses their QA process, because doing so would open them to liabilities, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove by bringing that up.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be shucking drives, I'm saying that if you buy them you should be prepared to deal with them failing more often.
The manufacturers seem to agree with this because the warranties for them aren't as high as they are on other equivalent consumer product lines - they range between 1-3 years for external drives and 3-5 for desktop drives.

Unfortunately Backblaze hasn't really been making note of drives sourced via shucking vs internal drives, and the one time they explicitly go into it there's a much bigger confounding variable.
It's possible they do keep track of it in the raw data, but I can't be arsed to go through it.

Corb3t posted:

You’re assuming a lot of things. Maybe Western Digital doesn’t want to spin up a new manufacturing line for different external drives, and it’s actually cheaper to just manufacture and use enterprise drives in external enclosures as well.

Maybe they miscalculated the demand for enterprise drives during COVID, and they have extra enterprise drives to use up.

You don’t know. Stop pretending that you do.
They absolutely don't spin up new production lines for external drives, and I already said as much previously - so I'm not sure what your point is here.
My point is that the drives that failed-QA drives can either be recycled or stuffed in external enclosures - and that they're going to do the latter over the former.

They've been selling external enclosures with white-labeled disks and 3.3V lines for a lot longer than since 2019, so I'm not sure what COVID has to do with anything.
The availability issues during and after COVID have plenty of other reasons why, up to and including first the production lines in China and Thailand being shut down and then not having enough shipping containers because they got stuck on shores due to nobody being able to load them onto the freight ships that weren't sailing.

I already said I don't know, but I'm not seeing any other explanation.

IOwnCalculus posted:

RPM isn't the only factor in power draw; platter count seems to matter as much if not more. Check out the datasheet for the WD Red Plus: https://documents.westerndigital.co...ed-plus-hdd.pdf

There are two 8TB parts, WD80EFZZ and WD80EFPX. Both are 5640RPM, but the EFPX has a higher internal transfer rate and a lower product weight, which sounds like the EFPX has at least one fewer platter than the EFZZ. Average power draw for the EFPX is 5.2W vs 6.2W for the EFZZ.

At any rate, the largest difference in wattage in this whole product line is only 4.4W between the 10TB and the 2TB, and unless you need less than 2TB of space, the number of extra 2TB drives you need means your extra spindles are drawing way more power than the wattage saved per spindle. If we stick with comparing similar capacities, 10TB vs 8TB is costing you between 2-3 watts per spindle, which for even the most degenerate among us amounts to 100W of extra power (and for those of us at 30+ spindles, 100W isn't the real problem here :v: ). If you go from 8TB to 12TB, your difference is either 0.1 or 1.1W per drive.

I don't disagree that WD submarining CMR is a poo poo move and the whole hard drive industry sucks, but Toshiba's RMA process is well behind WD and Seagate - last I looked into it, no advance RMA process available, and more annoying to work through in general.
Number of platters certainly affect the amount of power it takes to spin up the drives during start-up, as more mass means the motor will have to draw more current, and the same same applies to keeping it spinning.
Tangentially related, it'd be interesting to know if Helium drives take measurably less power, though.

I still think host-managed SMR would've been absolutely fine - but that's not what we got.
On top of that the companies hosed customers over big-time by submarining drive-managed SMR into existing product lines where it'd do the most harm (ie. product lines used for RAID).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

None of this explains why they have 3.3V lines - which, again, is something only found on enterprise drives, which are made on separate production lines.
No manufacturer discloses their QA process, because doing so would open them to liabilities, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove by bringing that up.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be shucking drives, I'm saying that if you buy them you should be prepared to deal with them failing more often.
The manufacturers seem to agree with this because the warranties for them aren't as high as they are on other equivalent consumer product lines - they range between 1-3 years for external drives and 3-5 for desktop drives.

Yeah, I've already agreed that these are made on the same production lines as enterprise drives. Where we disagree is the idea that this fact means anything else by itself - you seem to think it's an indicator that these have functional defects (at least, compared to the enterprise-labeled drives), and I don't think that's sufficiently proven.

The warranties being shorter could be a market differentiator by itself instead of an indicator of shorter expected life. It's not like the 5yr-warrantied drives have zero failures in the 3-5yr range, so WD would save money reducing that even if the drive is physically the same. They would also motivate consumers who want a longer drive life cycle to spring for the more expensive drive, so it might be that this is where some of the price difference comes from! Could they have a higher failure rate? Sure, they might! But we don't have any actual evidence of that, which is the through line of this whole conversation.

e: They might also give the exact same drive a lower warranty in an external enclosure than in a form which is expected to go inside a PC/rack, because the former is a lot more vulnerable to physical shock and therefore has a lower expected life. Considering the bathtub curve that HDD failures tend to follow, I feel like a 3 year warranty is still long enough to indicate a fair degree of confidence from the OEM that the drive won't fail due to mechanical defects.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 13, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Doesn't it make sense that 3.5" SATA disks ending up in USB enclosures come off the enterprise line because there's just no demand for consumer HDDs any more? If hypothetically 95% of these drives end up going to cloud operators and OEMs for integration into actual enterprise products, then it's likely not cost effective to design and build a consumer line rather than just badging 5% of your output as a MyBook or whatever.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Change of topic but what are the thread's thoughts on mixing and matching drives with a good warranty along with used drives. I built an Unraid NAS for my brother with some spare parts and put one good 12 TB HDD in there but didn't want to spend too much so threw in a couple used 12 TBs from Rhino Technology on eBay. Could have gone all used but seems less likely that multiple drives will go bad at the same time with there being one good on in there.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Smashing Link posted:

Change of topic but what are the thread's thoughts on mixing and matching drives with a good warranty along with used drives. I built an Unraid NAS for my brother with some spare parts and put one good 12 TB HDD in there but didn't want to spend too much so threw in a couple used 12 TBs from Rhino Technology on eBay. Could have gone all used but seems less likely that multiple drives will go bad at the same time with there being one good on in there.

I buy my parity drives new and the rest is retired enterprise off eBay. Using unraid.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I think it's good practice for large installations to avoid all your drives being made the same day, so they don't all die together if there was a problem with the production line. Using different makes or models should reduce the likelihood of them failing simultaneously even further, I guess?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm extremely pro used drives, with the caveat that I do use some of the money saved to increase both redundancy and spares. I haven't even seen any real difference in reliability - they're most prone to failure just after you get your hands on them, just like a new drive.

There are also a handful of sellers that offer their own warranty at a very small premium over the cheapest possible drives.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

wibble posted:

I backed this on kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/icewhaletech/zimacube-personal-cloud-re-invented?ref=user_menu
Its a six disk + SSD NAS , not intrested in their OS so I'll just stick trueNAS on it. But for $400 for a full system that you can just put disks and your own OS in and boot up is something the market needs.

I hope I get it.

dang! missed out on it

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Smashing Link posted:

I'm also interested in this because there are currently some "Seagate recertified" 16TB Ironwolf drives available for like 50% off from a local supplier. Only a 12 month warranty from the retailer but it seems like a pretty good deal?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

evil_bunnY posted:

do..do you not have backups?

I mean.... Usenet is my backup for the majority of the data. Anything truly irreplaceable is backed up in a couple other places, but it's more the desire to not re-download 30+TB of Linux ISOs on a 1TB/mo data capped line.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

PitViper posted:

I mean.... Usenet is my backup for the majority of the data. Anything truly irreplaceable is backed up in a couple other places, but it's more the desire to not re-download 30+TB of Linux ISOs on a 1TB/mo data capped line.

No data cap here, but if I drop 50tbs with of Linux, I'll probably just give up on digital media.

And yes/same, important things backed up properly.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Any suggestions for decently priced refurb 16-20tb drives? I see Seagate exos x18s on eBay, would that be a terrible mistake? Use case would be some kind of home Linux iso server (Plex, jellyfin, or Kodi) probably in a Synology enclosure.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3041946844...ABk9SR8bMqvamYw

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Serverpartdeals.com is where I got my most recent batch of drives (6x Exos X18 SATA 16TB) several months ago and they have been flawless so far. You can save $1/drive if you order directly instead of through their eBay store: https://serverpartdeals.com/collect...fied-hard-drive

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Any suggestions for decently priced refurb 16-20tb drives? I see Seagate exos x18s on eBay, would that be a terrible mistake? Use case would be some kind of home Linux iso server (Plex, jellyfin, or Kodi) probably in a Synology enclosure.

That ebay storefront is for ServerPartDeals, which another goon said they've ordered from successfully. Looking on their site, they have HGST 16TB drives for slightly less:

https://serverpartdeals.com/collect...fied-hard-drive

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

You might also roll the dice with these 20TB disks with a 5 year warranty, for around $220-230 based on what week it is: https://www.amazon.com/MDD-MDD20TSATA25672E-256MB-Internal-Enterprise/dp/B0BYTYCP14/

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is arr questions better here or Plex?
What steps should I take when upgrading to Sonarr v4? I'm using the linuxserver/sonarr:latest image currently.

it looks like latest is now 4.0.1, so I should be able to just recreate the container and pull the newest image right?
And I'll have to redo Settings > Profiles; Settings > Quality, but everything else migrates pretty smooth? I am using Prowlarr. Thanks

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I snagged a 4 pack from the exact seller, went with a lot that only had 80 powered on hours. Then did the "make an offer" dealio, and he finally accepted one of em.

No issues, exactly as expected, great shipping pack job.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2959407906...emis&media=COPY

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not sure if this is the best thread, but we're connecting some our windows 10 and 11 machines to our NAS via 10gbe and I'm looking for recommended NIC cards. I've seen the X550-t2 thrown around but seems to be a lot of fakes being sold?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

BonoMan posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread, but we're connecting some our windows 10 and 11 machines to our NAS via 10gbe and I'm looking for recommended NIC cards. I've seen the X550-t2 thrown around but seems to be a lot of fakes being sold?

Serve The Home just did a review of a few inexpensive 10g cards that seem to be pretty good.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

deong posted:

Is arr questions better here or Plex?
What steps should I take when upgrading to Sonarr v4? I'm using the linuxserver/sonarr:latest image currently.

it looks like latest is now 4.0.1, so I should be able to just recreate the container and pull the newest image right?
And I'll have to redo Settings > Profiles; Settings > Quality, but everything else migrates pretty smooth? I am using Prowlarr. Thanks

if you want to play it really safe you could always have the arr in question produce a backup artifact and set it aside in case things don't go so smooth.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Krailor posted:

Serve The Home just did a review of a few inexpensive 10g cards that seem to be pretty good.

Oh cool thanks! Definitely at the price point that it's ok if it' doesn't work out

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
QNAP came up last time I posted here and the consensus was they weren't trustworthy. Is there a recommend appliance that will:

1) Transcode Plex media reliably
2) Talk to Backblaze B2
3) Run TrueNAS Scale or at least a reliable file system
4) Take at least four HDDs
5) Take optional NVMe / SATA SSDs

That last one is pure luxury as all I want out of this is a LAN media server. Building my own is either an exercise in stuffing a SFF case to fit under my printer, or carving out space for a Meshify 2, and both of those options end up costing me close to $3000 CAD once drives are in.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

QNAP came up last time I posted here and the consensus was they weren't trustworthy. Is there a recommend appliance that will:

1) Transcode Plex media reliably
2) Talk to Backblaze B2
3) Run TrueNAS Scale or at least a reliable file system
4) Take at least four HDDs
5) Take optional NVMe / SATA SSDs

That last one is pure luxury as all I want out of this is a LAN media server. Building my own is either an exercise in stuffing a SFF case to fit under my printer, or carving out space for a Meshify 2, and both of those options end up costing me close to $3000 CAD once drives are in.

Maybe a Terramaster box? I know you can switch out their OS for Unraid/TrueNAS and some models have a few nvme slots.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Do you actually have a need for transcoding? It would simplify things quite a bit if you didn't.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah - you can transcode on a separate $100 (USD, at least) mini PC, so if that's the hurdle to making it all work with an appliance I'd just split it into two boxes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I mean I can transcode on my gaming PC for about 85W idle, but the idea was to use less power not just expand its storage.

How much transcoding would I need to do on XBox Series X, anyway? Most of my content is h264 and x265. Will AV-1 or old-rear end MPEG be a problem?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's basically why I asked. Most clients can direct play most media these days. I'd either convert or re-rip anything that's actually a problem. I have transcoding completely disabled on my Plex install and I very rarely have an issue.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/203824396-what-media-formats-are-supported/

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

I mean I can transcode on my gaming PC for about 85W idle, but the idea was to use less power not just expand its storage.

How much transcoding would I need to do on XBox Series X, anyway? Most of my content is h264 and x265. Will AV-1 or old-rear end MPEG be a problem?

Personally, I transcode (using Tdarr) just so I have everything in the same formats/codecs because of my OCD, and Tdarr also keeps track of the health of my files.

The benefit of splitting the files/transcoding is when I need to I can just pull out a few NUC's I normally use for other purposes and absolutely tear through the transcode queue by running Tdarr nodes on them as well.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Shumagorath posted:

Well, yes, you could - but a mini PC with an i5-8500T will use a fraction of that (probably about 10W idle): https://www.ebay.com/itm/176202466407

It won't do AV1, but if you want that you need a discrete card or something from at least 11th generation. Like an N100, which is not much more expensive actually.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 29, 2024

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

I have rarely and I mean rarely seen Series X need ANYTHING transcoded. I run a server that can transcode and I keep track of who watches what and on what device and what and who needs transcoding. I contact them to change some settings per device to get it to direct play as the defaults on some devices are terrible and almost everything I have needs to be transcoded for those default settings.

But a series X 9.5/10 times is just direct playing everything!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

That's basically why I asked. Most clients can direct play most media these days. I'd either convert or re-rip anything that's actually a problem. I have transcoding completely disabled on my Plex install and I very rarely have an issue.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/203824396-what-media-formats-are-supported/
I’m mostly paranoid about that due to my parents’ XBone losing DirectPlay over the holidays but that’s a Plex thread issue.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

So it's been a long time since I built a media server/NAS, but I really like the setup I had and I was wondering if there's a simpler way to get the functionality I had.

My previous file server was running Windows 8 with five four terabyte hard drives and one 128gb SSD. I was using a combination of two programs, SnapRAID and DrivePool for data management. I had three archive drives, one parity drive, and one "dump" drive. The directory structure of the four non-parity drives was flattened into a single virtual drive. DrivePool was set up so that any new data written to the virtual drive would go to the dump drive and data could only be written to the archive drives manually.

I liked that this setup wasn't flogging all five drives constantly, and that the files on each drive were readable without the whole array present. When I was done seeding a torrent I could move the files from the dump drive to one of the archive drives with the same directory tree and to my media server software it was like nothing changed. Every few days I would manually stop everything and synchronize SnapRAID since that could not calculate parity while data was being written.

While I liked the features I got with that system there is no denying it was super janky. I was wondering if there's anything out there that would replicate this functionality in a more integrated way.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
If you're not attached to windows, as a do it yourself solution you can combine mergefs/snapraid. Or pay for unraid.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Gangringo posted:

So it's been a long time since I built a media server/NAS, but I really like the setup I had and I was wondering if there's a simpler way to get the functionality I had.

My previous file server was running Windows 8 with five four terabyte hard drives and one 128gb SSD. I was using a combination of two programs, SnapRAID and DrivePool for data management. I had three archive drives, one parity drive, and one "dump" drive. The directory structure of the four non-parity drives was flattened into a single virtual drive. DrivePool was set up so that any new data written to the virtual drive would go to the dump drive and data could only be written to the archive drives manually.

I liked that this setup wasn't flogging all five drives constantly, and that the files on each drive were readable without the whole array present. When I was done seeding a torrent I could move the files from the dump drive to one of the archive drives with the same directory tree and to my media server software it was like nothing changed. Every few days I would manually stop everything and synchronize SnapRAID since that could not calculate parity while data was being written.

While I liked the features I got with that system there is no denying it was super janky. I was wondering if there's anything out there that would replicate this functionality in a more integrated way.

Unraid. You set your drives you want parity protected as the main array drives, and your "dump" drive as the cache drive.
I don't personally use a cache drive, but as far as I understand it, you set a schedule that starts the process to flush data from the cache to the main array (or I guess you could trigger it completely manually), the share access remains unchanged.
https://docs.unraid.net/legacy/FAQ/cache-disk/

The part about each drive being readable without the whole array present is true in Unraid (at least if you don't use ZFS), so that matches up to your desires.
But you can most definitely calculate parity while data is being written, and when reading from the array Unraid will only spin up the drives needed to read the files requested.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 29, 2024

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

That sounds perfect. Unraid was just starting to be a thing when I last built something like this but it sounds like it has matured a lot.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

Do you actually have a need for transcoding? It would simplify things quite a bit if you didn't.
Soooo... what are some good ZFS / Backblaze / Plex capable vendors if QNAP isn't reliable and iX Systems boxes are overpriced? QNAP has SEO'd everything to death.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Soooo... what are some good ZFS / Backblaze / Plex capable vendors if QNAP isn't reliable and iX Systems boxes are overpriced? QNAP has SEO'd everything to death.

There aren't any, which leaves you either building it yourself or using an alternative raid tech like Synology. Unfortunately the "entry level server" space that used to have options like the HP Microserver or Dell or Lenovo towers is a small, dying market so the only options left are consumer or small businesses targeting NASes. Commercial NASes aren't targeting people who want a specific RAID tech, they're targeting people who want to stuff drives in there, click a button, and be done with it.

Synology has a much better reputation than QNAP, but as I'm sure you noticed QNAP gives you way more powerful CPUs for your money.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So I've been looking to build/buy a NAS for my apartment and have been weighing my options between both as my storage hard drive on my workstation eeks closer to 100% capacity.

AMD recently (or will soon) release some new APUs, and one perk they have is hardware support of AV1 encoding, so if I ever want to double it as a Plex server it might prove useful.

Anyone have any thoughts on the new APUs and using them for a NAS?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I’d be interested in that too since I thought everything was QuickSync or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So I've been looking to build/buy a NAS for my apartment and have been weighing my options between both as my storage hard drive on my workstation eeks closer to 100% capacity.

AMD recently (or will soon) release some new APUs, and one perk they have is hardware support of AV1 encoding, so if I ever want to double it as a Plex server it might prove useful.

Anyone have any thoughts on the new APUs and using them for a NAS?

AMD's AV1 encoder in RDNA3, which is the 7xxx GPU line and 8xxx APU line, only supports output resolutions that are a multiple of 64x16, which does not include 1080p. This is a hardware level limitation that cannot be fixed in software, but if your client decoder is able to accept higher resolutions and you're using a container with the right cropping support, it all works fine.

However, this breaks simple / naiive decoders, and means that you can't use it to stream to Twitch at 1080p because they only allow specific input resolutions.

If you want to read more about this, here's some links:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/AV1#Align
https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/AMF/issues/423
https://www.reddit.com/r/davinciresolve/comments/163ycjz/deliver_1920x1080_coming_out_as_1920x1082/

AMD did somehow do a software workaround that means that attempting to output 1080p will instead output 1082p, they didn't have to round all the way up to 1088. You can output 720p and 4K though, because those are both divisible by 16.

Edit: It looks like the cropping support isn't actually widespread yet in software that uses hardware transcoding, so it's just outputting 1082p video in general, without cropping to remove the black bar.

You also might not care about 1080p, in which case you'd be golden.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 30, 2024