Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I ignored the venom and flame bows at first because it seemed lame to have to use additional weapon slots for the status. Even though the game EXPLICITED tells you poison makes Pals easier to capture

I'm in the early 30s, and the Palball grind is a bit annoying. I finally decided to test it out.

Status effects SIGNIFICANTLY increase your capture chance and stack with each other!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't have a dead weight problem especially in my nice base with food bowl in middle and stations in a ring outside of it with nice walking areas from each to the center. I do have the goober problem of them ending up in impossible places and unable to unstick themselves or being inexorably drawn to a random out of bounds corner.

I only keep one ice pal around and even with sleeping breaks it's not like I've ever so much as come close to be wanting for even a speck of food. A single plot of each produce has provided way more food than I need for all 3 bases and a few farm animals get me everything for cake too.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

EorayMel posted:

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER

Shai-Hulud popcorn bucket rear end motherfucker

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Party Alarm posted:

I'm in the early 30s, and the Palball grind is a bit annoying. I finally decided to test it out.

Status effects SIGNIFICANTLY increase your capture chance and stack with each other!!!

The trouble is poison risks killing em, so does burn. The stun rod stun can be helpful if it's safe enough to whack at em close range, but until they have a way to keep a creature alive at 1hp for a duration, it's risky going for status effects. Freeze is cool but it usually comes with a burst of damage. I'd definitely like more ways to non lethally attack pals to help .along capture easier.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Khanstant posted:

I only keep one ice pal around and even with sleeping breaks it's not like I've ever so much as come close to be wanting for even a speck of food. A single plot of each produce has provided way more food than I need for all 3 bases and a few farm animals get me everything for cake too.

So, I noticed cake doesn't actually decay if you store it in the breeding pen, which is nice. It's easy enough to grind out 400 omelettes and stick them in your pocket and all, and they'll refresh their decay timer every time you have to organize your inventory. It would still be better to have working coolers.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't even carry that much food and the refresh exploit isn't worth even the attention.

1-4 pizza decaying every 20 game minutes isn't a problem, I usually stock my food basket up with rows of berries after the main bulk meals and that's 4x the decay and still have more berries than I ever need.

I agree the cooler just logically should stay cool for at least some amount of time not being actively charged, same for electricity. But it's also a non-problem, if anything the crop balance is ridiculously high, I expected food management to be a thing to keep sane pets but you would have to be actively throwing away food to ever run out of it.

The electricity thing is more of an issue because they'll work until they get pissed and go take a hot tub before going right back to the electricity pole even if nothing is using power.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shuka posted:

It honestly sounds like you neglect collecting and leveling your pals. The first thing I did was get a ton of tombats and level them up for war mining purposes

workrate doesn't increase with level

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

IcePhoenix posted:

workrate doesn't increase with level

It's to fight off raids young blood, kinda surprised you didn't figure that out

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Shuka posted:

This is a very weird way to post

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

SettingSun posted:

Reptyro's ability is mining efficiency is higher when mounted. But while mounted you can only use its pal moves, which all take forever, making it slower than just using a pickaxe. Even independently it is so slow to mine.
Switch to your pick, aim, and attack.

You can always use whatever you've got equipped as long as you aim first.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shuka posted:

Who's saying anything about raids? How did we get here from "I don't think depression cures itself" anyway?

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

IcePhoenix posted:

Who's saying anything about raids? How did we get here from "I don't think depression cures itself" anyway?

Because you said you didn't have enough pals to switch out depressed ones, and that the pals you did have were too low level. I got a bunch of tombats my first, second and third nights, been levelling them, and haven't had your issues with mining.

I don't mind if you get upset but I remember the beginning of this convo and I will repeat what you forgot

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Elephanthead posted:

Are there pal world cards I need valentines for kids, download is fine I’ll get them printed
The Reddit has some possible merchandise that looks like playing cards for duel games. There are also some figurines.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FFT posted:

Switch to your pick, aim, and attack.

You can always use whatever you've got equipped as long as you aim first.

Well that's unintuitive!

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Shuka posted:

Because you said you didn't have enough pals to switch out depressed ones, and that the pals you did have were too low level. I got a bunch of tombats my first, second and third nights, been levelling them, and haven't had your issues with mining.

I don't mind if you get upset but I remember the beginning of this convo and I will repeat what you forgot

They didn't say they were too low level, they said they were worse than the pals they normally had out mining. Because you know, you'd obviously use the ones with the best traits, and pals getting depression has nothing at all to do with raids.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shuka posted:

I didn't say anything about levels :confused: I said the backups are slower so I don't want to use them if I don't have to.

Maybe you just got super excited or something because your memory isn't very good.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Mailer posted:

Problems like why in a base with literally one roof tile off in a corner do so many pals get stuck on it.

I think the pathfinding AI uses some sort of top down view of the world. Making multi level bases made me realize they simply cannot perceive anything on the first floor if there's any production on the floor above them. Tested by having a ranch under a roof with a berry patch on top, and as soon as I delete the berry patch the pathfinding to the ranch fixes itself.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

SettingSun posted:

Well that's unintuitive!

It's less unintuitive when you realize guns work the same way (for pals that don't come with their own guns)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

2MB posted:

I think the pathfinding AI uses some sort of top down view of the world. Making multi level bases made me realize they simply cannot perceive anything on the first floor if there's any production on the floor above them. Tested by having a ranch under a roof with a berry patch on top, and as soon as I delete the berry patch the pathfinding to the ranch fixes itself.

Yeah I just had to completely redesign my awesome base that had food production on the roof and factory inside

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Khanstant posted:

I agree the cooler just logically should stay cool for at least some amount of time not being actively charged, same for electricity. But it's also a non-problem, if anything the crop balance is ridiculously high, I expected food management to be a thing to keep sane pets but you would have to be actively throwing away food to ever run out of it.

Yeah even having two patches of berries equals infinite berries. The issues come up when you (in theory) get better work and less illness/slacking/etc with upgraded food. Keeping that upgraded food, which is not automatically refreshed, in stock and unspoiled becomes a problem. If you engaged in horrific genocide against a species and came back with enough upgraded food to make a long-term difference, then spent literal hours having multiple flamey guys cook it in multiple cooking stations... it'd just expire.

The cooler is a solution to food expiry but even if everything worked better in terms of AI it's still something you have to manually dump into the feed station over and over where it's not cooled. The problem is especially notable for eggs/milk which are things you'd theoretically acquire over time but without storage options you either have to jank around it or just farm gold to buy them and do all the cakes up at once. Then your drat cakes expire (unless you box them, which feels unintended) if you're not running a nonstop orgy in the breeding pen. Also also milk is food so anything that gathers will haul it straight to the feeding box.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think it's funny that there needs to be active cooling for the cooler, and not like, a room where the ice guy just roosts that ends up being cold as a result.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I appreciate the commitment to making the pals an integral part of systems, and I think the effort that they put in to make this game entirely pal focused speaks well to lessons learned from Craftopia. Still, it feels kind of weird to need a fire guy to breathe fire on my electric oven. Those guys would still have a job (smithing) I think it's okay to just have the electric stuff run on electricity. Similarly, there could probably just be an improved incubator that uses electricity and doesn't need a campfire on a chair next to it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Spanish Matlock posted:

I appreciate the commitment to making the pals an integral part of systems, and I think the effort that they put in to make this game entirely pal focused speaks well to lessons learned from Craftopia. Still, it feels kind of weird to need a fire guy to breathe fire on my electric oven. Those guys would still have a job (smithing) I think it's okay to just have the electric stuff run on electricity. Similarly, there could probably just be an improved incubator that uses electricity and doesn't need a campfire on a chair next to it.

Their intent looks really, really good with that and I look forward to a fixed version of it. Electric things that still require pals to manage is probably something better handled with a name change. "Advanced Tech Oven: Augments smelting with electrical plating to make more advanced types" is a one-line solution to it being confusing without modifying the operation at all.

I'd hate to lose the unique pal-operated base mechanics entirely at a given tech tier. If anything I'd want to make the usage of pals more efficient (working in shifts, etc) instead of automating away from them.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
What if you just built a cubical for every pal and associated workstation, IE just drop a furnace on the ground, throw a fire pal at the furnace and tell it to make 100 ingots, then hastily build four walls around the pal? Maybe even with a feed tray and bed crammed in there because you are generous

Surely that would work, right :thunk:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

EorayMel posted:

What if you just built a cubical for every pal and associated workstation, IE just drop a furnace on the ground, throw a fire pal at the furnace and tell it to make 100 ingots, then hastily build four walls around the pal? Maybe even with a feed tray and bed crammed in there because you are generous

Surely that would work, right :thunk:

They seem to teleport/phase once in a while either through walls or the ground. There is no avoiding it that I've seen so far.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mailer posted:

Yeah even having two patches of berries equals infinite berries. The issues come up when you (in theory) get better work and less illness/slacking/etc with upgraded food. Keeping that upgraded food, which is not automatically refreshed, in stock and unspoiled becomes a problem. If you engaged in horrific genocide against a species and came back with enough upgraded food to make a long-term difference, then spent literal hours having multiple flamey guys cook it in multiple cooking stations... it'd just expire.

The cooler is a solution to food expiry but even if everything worked better in terms of AI it's still something you have to manually dump into the feed station over and over where it's not cooled. The problem is especially notable for eggs/milk which are things you'd theoretically acquire over time but without storage options you either have to jank around it or just farm gold to buy them and do all the cakes up at once. Then your drat cakes expire (unless you box them, which feels unintended) if you're not running a nonstop orgy in the breeding pen. Also also milk is food so anything that gathers will haul it straight to the feeding box.

You should 1000% be running multiple breeding pens at all times. Both to get good traits onto a useable work or battle pet, but also to have extras to condense and to fill out the first ten catches. It's free real estate.

I feed any meat I pick up to my pals in the field immediately or just chuck it if I need inventory space. Meat meals are a waste of time and effort. 1 and 2 star farm animals produce tons and can keep you making stacks of salad or pizza without ever needing meat. Cakes are the most hassle and I added a couple extra farm guys on my coal base that only really needs 1 or 2 workers just so I could make a big batch of a separate oven to fill em up on occasional egg roundups.

Also they will haul to fridge, you just need to fill up the four non-pizza/bestmassfoodyouhave with some of the infinity berry stacks. They will always add to food basket if empty but with each slot with a thousand berries, they will finally store in fridge.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 29, 2024

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

One thing I really miss from ARK is the ability to just store food on my animals. I'd love to just have my mount have a couple stacks of broncherry steaks or something on him that he can eat when he gets hungry. The meat pocket you can research doesn't seem to work all the time. I've seen food being eaten from it but I've also been hungry a lot with food in there.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I just went to go to bed in my tiny house and when I opened the door a starving chicken ran for the food bucket and like two dozen eggs spilled out :allears:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

been having a lot of pals fall through the floor and starve themselves to the brink. pals on roofs they shouldnt be, on top of trees they have no business being near, along and outside the castle wall through powers unknown to man. my smithmon is traumatized from having been trapped underground for so long that he's been on semi-retirement at the ore resort since

still havin fun staking my claim across this land though. i thought coal only spawned on desert surfaces but i found a grassy crater to the west of the map's center ice mountain filled with 6-8 coal deposits in addition to trees and rocks. considering setting up a base there, much to think about...

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

this 3 base limit sucks rear end im with the other goon, i would gladly take 5 bases at a cap of 11 or 12 mons instead of what we got now

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Spanish Matlock posted:

One thing I really miss from ARK is the ability to just store food on my animals. I'd love to just have my mount have a couple stacks of broncherry steaks or something on him that he can eat when he gets hungry. The meat pocket you can research doesn't seem to work all the time. I've seen food being eaten from it but I've also been hungry a lot with food in there.

It's possible that it waits until you'll get the entire benefit of the food, like maybe it gives you back 90% of your hunger meter, but it'll say you're hungry at like 30 or 20%. Or maybe you have a buff like defense that it's waiting to clear before it refreshes by eating the food?

Or I could be talking out my rear end! But it definitely seemed like when i just stuck bread in there it would eat when i was at like 70% because it doesn't give much, then when i put a cooked meat dish in it would have me sitting at Hungry on the screen, but would eventually do it before I started taking damage from the meter actually being empty.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They need to add pals that only spawn under the ground and atop trees. You can't even deploy the tree ones unless there are trees around, they just don't deal with normal surfaces.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Ended up returning the game. Fully intend to purchase it again, provided the devs keep on working towards a completed game. I really want this to succeed. I think I might give Necesse a shot in the meantime. That game seems more done? And its also $5 at the moment.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

SettingSun posted:

Well that's unintuitive!

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's less unintuitive when you realize guns work the same way (for pals that don't come with their own guns)
Yep. Fire musket, start reloading, use Pal Powers, repeat.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Alright, I was rolling my eyes at everyone who was saying that this game is tuned wrong as it hits later game, but I get it.

Even with maxxing out the capture rate, it still sucks poo poo once you're trying to get Pals over level 20-30. Which is super frustrating when you know how many resources went into throwing ten balls at something with the absolute barest sliver of health that you just can't get down anymore. And as soon as it breaks the ball it fires off a perfect shot at you every single time. Which craters your armor which requires an inordinate amount of resources to keep fixing over and over and over like all of your items.

I'm not a fan of how quickly stamina drops, despite having leveled it, because I enjoy gliding and climbing everything if I can.

The big guy alpha or boss or whatever Pals and how they can be effectively useless because they get stuck on everything.

This is the base of a FANTASTIC game, don't get me wrong. But they've got a ton of tuning to do to get it right.

I'm a big fan or Ark. Solo or private server, with the settings tuned mind you. I always joke about how that's a game that hates you. This game does too, but not in quite the same way that Ark does.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lt. Cock posted:

Alright, I was rolling my eyes at everyone who was saying that this game is tuned wrong as it hits later game, but I get it.

Even with maxxing out the capture rate, it still sucks poo poo once you're trying to get Pals over level 20-30. Which is super frustrating when you know how many resources went into throwing ten balls at something with the absolute barest sliver of health that you just can't get down anymore. And as soon as it breaks the ball it fires off a perfect shot at you every single time. Which craters your armor which requires an inordinate amount of resources to keep fixing over and over and over like all of your items.

I'm not a fan of how quickly stamina drops, despite having leveled it, because I enjoy gliding and climbing everything if I can.

The big guy alpha or boss or whatever Pals and how they can be effectively useless because they get stuck on everything.

This is the base of a FANTASTIC game, don't get me wrong. But they've got a ton of tuning to do to get it right.

I'm a big fan or Ark. Solo or private server, with the settings tuned mind you. I always joke about how that's a game that hates you. This game does too, but not in quite the same way that Ark does.

They really encourage you to jump the next rank up in pal spheres. The costs don't even seem significant when it comes to a 30-40% boost to capture rate for their level range

Pal Sphere: Paldium x1, Woodx3, Stonex3
Mega Sphere: Paldiumx1, Ingotx1, Woodx5, Stonex5
Giga Sphere: Paldiumx2, Ingotx2, Woodx7, Stonex7
Hyper Sphere: Paldiumx3, Ingotx3, Woodx10, Cementx2
Ultra Sphere: Paldiumx5, Refined Ingotx5, Carbon Fiberx2, Cement x3
Legendary Sphere: Paldiumx10, Pal Metal Ingotx5, Carbon Fiber x3, Cement x5.

The moment you can get an ore farm running there's no reason to use anything less then giga spheres.

With cement as the limiting factor, I can make 242 ultra spheres, or 145 legendary spheres. If you want to capture something it's likely going to take at least 2 ultra spheres for anything less then an easy 100% so the math would clearly favor legendary. Refined Ingots are also in much greater demands for higher tier ammo as well making ultra sphere production come at a cost of ammo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ammo is worth buying, I don't need the gold for much else really.

The stamina thing is weird because you want enough to sprint and dodge during fights, but once you have a mount that's faster than sprinting and can fly I only stop flying because it's faster to descend by dropping than to fly down. Especially helpful once your pal is strong enough to obliterate most stuff, gives you better control over how much damage to deal. Climbing and sprinting is just slower for no real reason, there aren't any ground level secrets or puzzles to solve like in TotK.

I'm really glad they have mounted combat in this. Too often games will let you ride a cool animal but limit what you can do while doing so.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I don't think I've played a game with better mounted combat than Palworld, or really anything that comes close, and that says a lot about other games tbh.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

buglord posted:

Ended up returning the game. Fully intend to purchase it again, provided the devs keep on working towards a completed game. I really want this to succeed. I think I might give Necesse a shot in the meantime. That game seems more done? And its also $5 at the moment.

Necesse is great, I highly recommend it especially for the sale price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Fajita Queen posted:

I don't think I've played a game with better mounted combat than Palworld, or really anything that comes close, and that says a lot about other games tbh.

agreed EXCEPT every move needs to not force the mount to stop moving, let me do strafing dragon breath runs god dammit