Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Nenonen posted:

It's not that, though? The claim is "if you have positive discrimination in hiring then people will assume that you were selected for your race instead of your qualifications". Because of course companies never discriminate in their hiring in non-positive ways...

Yeah reading over it again you're right. I see a Lester cartoon and just automatically assume it's racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Moir:

The cartoons are possibly getting there faster than the pundits but the discourse is realising that the Liberals' knee-jerk reaction to reject and/or reinstate the original Stage 3 tax cuts means increasing taxes for 90% of Australians.

Broelman:

Peter Dutton and deputy Liberal leader Sussan Ley.

Le Lievre:

After Tom Roberts' Shearing the Rams:

Badiucao:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Foreign minister Penny Wong. Australia pauses UN agency funding as staff investigated for suspected role in 7 October attack on Israel (Guardian).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Yeah reading over it again you're right. I see a Lester cartoon and just automatically assume it's racist.

Well you see, we are both right.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

quote:

HEY JOE, DON’T MESS WITH TEXAS!
Cartoon published 01/25/2024

The Federal Government is obligated to protect us from invasion. It’s in the Constitution. Biden and the Supreme Court have ignored the Constitution and insist Texas cannot resist federal forces who are bent on removing the razor wire. The feds want to keep the border open. They want to expedite a free flow of illegal ‘migrants,’ and the invaders are pouring in by the thousands every day. The Biden Administration is NOT putting a stop to the illegal influx. Instead, they are actively aiding and abetting the lawbreakers.

SHARE OUR NEWSLETTER LINK WITH YOUR ULTRA MAGA FRIENDS- SIGN UP TODAY FOR GREAT CARTOONS AND MORE DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! CLICK TO SHARE
Texas Governor Greg Abbott has FINALLY put his foot down—even though he’s in a wheelchair. He has ordered the Texas National Guard to halt the invasion and this had led to a confrontation between the central government and the states. Many other states have voiced their support for Texas and the list is growing. What will Biden do now…risk civil war? Chances are his federal forces will not fire on fellow Americans over a matter that is that is clear cut. Biden and his administration will not carry out their responsibilities and in fact, they are aligned with the invaders. A nation cannot stand when traitors are in command.

Once upon a time elections hinged on issues such as the economy. “It’s the economy, stupid!” Now It’s the border, stupid. Biden seems too stupid (or evil) to realize this.

Biden is the insurrectionist. He’s corrupt. He’s a traitor. He has involved us in new wars and it seems like he’s trying to trigger World War III. His inflation has raised the cost of living for average Americans living paycheck to paycheck. He and his family accepted bribes—most egregiously from communist China. He refused to shoot down their spy balloon.

PLEASE TAKE A MINUTE TO CONSIDER A SMALL DONATION TO GRRRGRAPHICS, WE ARE SUPPORTER FUNDED, CLICK TO DONATE TODAY!
Biden despises MAGA. Doesn’t he know what it stands for? It means “Make America Great Again.” That grates him because his job is destroying America.

Montana has sided with Texas, thanks to our conservative governor, Greg Gianforte. If another civil war does break out, we’ll be on the side of Texas. Joe Biden and his ilk are the insurrectionists. We are American patriots who want to see us return to Constitutional government. Biden calls patriots ‘white supremacists.’ That’s from a president who claimed he would unite our country after Trump. Well, he has united us in a way—we all want to see him thrown out of office.

As of this publication, 17 states—Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming—have stepped up to support Texas’ efforts and deployed personnel and resources to secure the border in President Biden’s absence.

DON’T MESS WITH RED STATES! ORDER YOUR SIGNED PRINT TODAY!
— The GrrrTeam
Kellies nomination: Most Opposite of Reality. As someone noted when quoting a different cartoon on the subject, the Biden administration won that court case against Texas.

quote:

THAT VOODOO THAT YOU DO..DEMOCRAT LEGAL VOODOO
Cartoon published 01/27/2024

As we expected, the Manhattan jury in the E. Jean Carroll vs. Donald Trump defamation case delivered their anti-Trump verdict yesterday. ‘Orange man bad!’

It should not come as any great surprise. After all the Democrats have rigged elections, the media, the FBI and now the courts against Trump. He will never get a fair trial in New York. The judge, a Clinton appointee, was obviously biased and the jury consisted of frothing, Trump Derangement Syndrome sufferers. It was a witch hunt, a miscarriage of justice, and political persecution of President Donald Trump. You would have to be blind or a news anchor at MSNBC not to see this.

E. Jean Carroll has a history of accusing men of rape and is a sex-obsessed elderly woman who is trying to sell a book.

Wait there’s more!

Biden’s handlers continue to harass President Trump with continual and politically motivated lawsuits and indictments. They are pushing more and more lawfare pins into their Trump voodoo doll in the hopes that they will somehow force him not to continue his presidential run. Despite all their dirty tricks, Trump is still standing.

PLEASE TAKE A MINUTE TO CONSIDER A SMALL DONATION TO GRRRGRAPHICS, WE ARE SUPPORTER FUNDED, CLICK TO DONATE TODAY!
Trump’s polls continue to skyrocket and even some Democrats are calling this latest trial a farce. Trump’s savvy lawyers will appeal this verdict and hopefully this abomination of justice will be struck down and the case dismissed for lack of standing.

If not, Juanita Broaddrick should sue Bill Clinton for $83.3 million dollars. 😁

—The GrrrTeam
Lol at "Trump's savvy lawyers" but he isn't wrong about Juanita Broaddrick. Though the case was actually about defamation and I don't recall Clinton going around publicly calling her a liar. I may be just not remembering it if it happened.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Kellies nomination: Most Opposite of Reality. As someone noted when quoting a different cartoon on the subject, the Biden administration won that court case against Texas.

This, except they're waiting for the first person to go to jail for loving around too much

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I know portraying their side as the villains is a common theme in conservative cartooning but if there's a worse example of it than "see this old man trapped in razor wire? we're the razor wire!" I can't think of it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Lester basically has 4 modes: Racism, TERFism, misogyny, and concern trolling.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Vib Rib posted:

I know portraying their side as the villains is a common theme in conservative cartooning but if there's a worse example of it than "see this old man trapped in razor wire? we're the razor wire!" I can't think of it.
Biden could be bleeding in that. Which would be realistically monstrous, so

Thoughtless posted:

You're all commenting on Sinfest being openly nazi or Prickly City being boring, but I think we can all agree that Hitch is the worst cartoonist in the thread. It's like he went to carnival caricature class, learned exactly one drawing, a giant yelling face, and began to draw that and nothing else forever, accompanied by the world's most boring Republican takes.

Like I'd sooner buy a prickly city anthology than look at that guy's art. At least SOMETIME they do something that's not just yelling at the reader.
The talking face and four people saying one sentence thing are probably the only independent ideas he's had in the last thirty years so I can see why he'd run it into the ground

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 29, 2024

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
You're all commenting on Sinfest being openly nazi or Prickly City being boring, but I think we can all agree that Hitch is the worst cartoonist in the thread. It's like he went to carnival caricature class, learned exactly one drawing, a giant yelling face, and began to draw that and nothing else forever, accompanied by the world's most boring Republican takes.

Like I'd sooner buy a prickly city anthology than look at that guy's art. At least SOMETIME they do something that's not just yelling at the reader.

Thoughtless fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 29, 2024

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Still a better artist than Leunig, and as far as I know never sexual harassed his own sister.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Well good news: I am intended to do the Great Political Cartoonist Bracket for a 2nd time in March, so we can put that to the test. This time around I’ll be sure to better balance things so thread heavyweights aren’t going up against each other early, and provide maybe some upsets like Matt knocking out Dry Bones.

poo poo, let’s get a robust list here. My intent was for active cartoonists, as more recent denizens of the thread may not be familiar with BAR BEE or Asay. But if the people want a true battle royale, then what the hell.

Current List

-Mike Lester
-Gary McCoy
-Michael Ramirez
-Ben Garrison
-Dry Bones
-Hitch
-Stiglich
-Gary Varvel
-Al Goodwyn
-Lisa Benson
-Clay Bennett (:unsmith:)
-Chip BoK
-Eric Allie
-Steve Kelley
-Henry Payne
-Scott Stantis
-Chris Muir (yes, Day by Day is still running)
-Stonetoss
-Ted Rall
-Dana Summers
-Bob Gorrell (does it count if he hasn’t actively drawn original cartoons in years?)
-AF Branco
-Margolis & Cox
-Scott Adams (of Dilbert infamy)
-Son of Leak (Righto, what’s his name then?)
-Matt Pritchett
-Stan McMurty aka Max (he came back, right?)
-Latuff

And my laundry is done, so I’ll stop there. Throw your names in this greasy, moth-eaten hat.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Throw your names in this greasy, moth-eaten hat.
Out of the current active Aussie cartoonists I'd also nominate Mark Knight (whose Serena Williams cartoon made international headlines).

If there's room, also John "Wind Turbines" Spooner.

edit: maybe also Leunig although he borderline doesn't qualify as a political cartoonist anymore.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 29, 2024

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

They're all awful but I think Kirschen is the only one who has explicitly called for genocide.
e: Clay Bennett probably doesn't belong. He used to be great but Trump's election broke his brain and he became mediocre.

L. Ron DeSantis fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 29, 2024

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Pants Donkey posted:

And my laundry is done, so I’ll stop there. Throw your names in this greasy, moth-eaten hat.

If Stonetoss qualifies for the bracket at this point, so does Sinfest/Tatsuya Ishida.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 29, 2024

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
BoB "cooler full of jizz" Moran

Mac

Leunig

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ed Gamble is a more mumblecore kind of bad.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Pants Donkey posted:

David Horsey
Dick Wright
Ed Gamble
NEMØ
Rivers

I have a bunch of others, but they aren't poo poo. (I'm not saying they're GOOD, but...)

Amjad Rasmi

Carlos Latuff

Clay Bennett

Dave Whamond

Drew Sheneman

John Darkow

Randall Enos

Rivers

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism)

I did watch parts of the videos Discendo Vox posted including this maniac. I didn't learn a lot about the identity of the cartoonist although I was treated to Cagle giving him (probably) and Gary McCoy a ridiculous toungebath.

Walt Handelsman

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

ZZT the Fifth posted:

If Stonetoss qualifies at this point, so does Sinfest/Tatsuya Ishida.

I kinda have to agree here. Dbd was banned because it couldn't be posted without censoring 80% of the image (that and the marital anal rape) but Stonetoss is just not posted because nobody wants to see it. If we're being consistent we wouldn't see Sinfest either. That said I don't like the idea of cartoons being banned from the thread for being terrible. That is kind of the whole point.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

If it were me I'd like to see the playoff brackets limited to cartoonists published in papers, mainly because I don't want the semi-finals to default to Ben Garrison vs Stonetoss vs Sinfest vs Dry Bones*.

Although I guess that also rules out Dilbert.

edit: *I know this is published so will qualify either way.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 29, 2024

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
How about Ward Sutton. I know he is probably already in as Kelly, but outside of his parody political cartoons he is still active.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I doubt Sutton has a chance at winning "worst cartoonist", but then again, maybe it's good to have some good-to-mediocre people in just to see how fast they get knocked out.

That being the case, here are a few more:

Ann Telnaes
Bill Bramhall
Darrin Bell
Dave Granlund
Drew Sheneman
Jeff Danziger
Jeff Stahler
John Branch
Kevin "KAL" Kallaugher
Kirk Walters
Lee Judge
Marty Two Bulls
Matt Davies
Matt Wuerker
Mike Peters
Pedro X. Molina
Randall Enos

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Is Telnaes “good-to-mediocre”? I’d call her “under-appreciated”.

She’s consistently pretty good, occasionally really good, and she has a really unique style and gift for a kind of austere-caricature.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is Telnaes “good-to-mediocre”? I’d call her “under-appreciated”.

She’s consistently pretty good, occasionally really good, and she has a really unique style and gift for a kind of austere-caricature.

I'd say she's very good; I meant that as a scale for the whole list of cartoonists, not as an assessment of each one individually. It's more "a list of people I don't think are really in the running for The Worst".

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

idonotlikepeas posted:

I doubt Sutton has a chance at winning "worst cartoonist", but then again, maybe it's good to have some good-to-mediocre people in just to see how fast they get knocked out.

Sorry, I didn't realize that "great" was used sardonically and was thinking great like large amount.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Stantis what the gently caress are you doing

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
having a sweet easy gig im jealous of

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

idonotlikepeas posted:

Ah, here's some Q stuff, but it's more background for the antisemitism than anything else.

Good morning, Tatsuya. Hope the day finds you well.

Just wanted to let you know that I accidentally received this, and it seems you are accidentally forwarding these to the internet and not your court appointed psychologist. Giving you a heads up, as it appears that this one needs to be quite urgently sent over!

Best of luck,

Everyone

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: In Case of Fascism

Ted Rall posted:

Democrats say that Donald Trump is incredibly dangerous and cannot be allowed to ever be president again. If they really feel that way, why are they re-nominating Joe Biden? It’s not like he’s the strongest possible candidate.
I think Rall's hosed up his titles/quotes again and used the one for Wednesday but that's what is on his website.

First Dog on the Moon: Toto the tax cut cavoodle explains the updated stage-three tax cuts!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Vib Rib posted:

Stantis what the gently caress are you doing

The desert hamsters did WHAT?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
If we post Stonetoss to make fun of him or post edits of his cartoons like on r/antifastonetoss that could be fun.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Matt Furie should order a DMCA against Tats for stealing Pepe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I dont know posted:

BoB "cooler full of jizz" Moran
If he gets a nickname it should be BoB "kosher babies" Moran now.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
If a certain famous fascist reincarnated in America with his memories intact a decade after dying, you could replace the person Fishman is clearly talking about with Anime Hitler and Biden would be completely correct here.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nenonen posted:

It's not that, though?
It is though. He could make cartoon about how pilots that are hired because of positive discrimination are in fact qualified. Not that they make others look bad.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Well good news: I am intended to do the Great Political Cartoonist Bracket for a 2nd time in March, so we can put that to the test. This time around I’ll be sure to better balance things so thread heavyweights aren’t going up against each other early, and provide maybe some upsets like Matt knocking out Dry Bones.

poo poo, let’s get a robust list here. My intent was for active cartoonists, as more recent denizens of the thread may not be familiar with BAR BEE or Asay. But if the people want a true battle royale, then what the hell.

Current List

snip

First time for me, is the purpose to determine who is the worst overall cartoonist among the people listed?

I don't see how that's even a contest, Kirschen would probably win every single time, for having some of the worst art bar none, combined with the vilest possible opinions.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Chip Bok

Gary Markstein

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Tom Stiglich

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

axolotl farmer posted:

Matt Furie should order a DMCA against Tats for stealing Pepe.

Unfortunately, that is not Pepe. They use Peepo now, who is just Pepe, but changed enough that they won't get in trouble. It's the "I'm not touching you" style of poo poo.

As always this is also a terrible sticky red flag because outside of people in the know he is just the funny Twitch emote.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

What is the "Black National Anthem"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Clerical Terrors posted:

What is the "Black National Anthem"?

Lift Every Voice and Sing. NFL has sometimes played it in addition to (not instead of) the national anthem during pregame ceremonies at major event, basically as deflective pandering.