Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

More Rean and Crow drama

And by drama I mean kissing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
If rean shows up in Calvard I’m pretty sure it’ll be either for eight leaves/ka-fai reasons or him being coerced into leading a military force. Nothing crow related

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rean realizes the only way to get stronger is to stop being a playable character and fight only in cutscenes

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be honest. Van only got one full game to himself as protagonist of the Calvard arc, he had to share it with Swin in Daybreak 2 and now he has to share it again with Rean for Kai. While I’m fine with Calvard being a three arc game, I’m not really okay with Daybreak 2 having been largely pointless filler for huge chunks of its runtime and now suddenly with the release of Kai, the overall series story has jumped from 70% complete as of Daybreak 2 (technically, Daybreak 1, Daybreak 2 didn’t advance the overall story at all) to 90% complete. Apparently poor sales of Daybreak contributed to ending the Calvard arc early but… that’s also a bit short sighted to me when the first game in the arc isn’t even released in the west yet which is where Falcom get the most profit from as well.

I suppose I am glad that the series is going to stop doing filler and get to the point but I also kinda feel like the Calvard arc has been botched pretty badly after a promising start because of Daybreak 2 largely being filler released only to meet shareholder demands for a new game every year. So very mixed feelings on the whole thing. I’m glad the games aren’t going to waste our time anymore but Calvard and Van got done dirty.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 28, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

i wanna know more about the Gralsritters, a game focusing on them again might be neat.
i think they had a bigger part in Sky, but they sure seem like a strong force in the world lore.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Selenephos posted:

Kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be honest. Van only got one full game to himself as protagonist of the Calvard arc, he had to share it with Swin in Daybreak 2 and now he has to share it again with Rean for Kai. While I’m fine with Calvard being a three arc game, I’m not really okay with Daybreak 2 having been largely pointless filler for huge chunks of its runtime and now suddenly with the release of Kai, the overall series story has jumped from 70% complete as of Daybreak 2 (technically, Daybreak 1, Daybreak 2 didn’t advance the overall story at all) to 90% complete. Apparently poor sales of Daybreak contributed to ending the Calvard arc early but… that’s also a bit short sighted to me when the first game in the arc isn’t even released in the west yet which is where Falcom get the most profit from as well.

I suppose I am glad that the series is going to stop doing filler and get to the point but I also kinda feel like the Calvard arc has been botched pretty badly after a promising start because of Daybreak 2 largely being filler released only to meet shareholder demands for a new game every year. So very mixed feelings on the whole thing. I’m glad the games aren’t going to waste our time anymore but Calvard and Van got done dirty.

I agree, though I'm still happy we at least got Daybreak 1 (the best game in the series IMO). I wasn't aware that the game apparently did poorly - if it did, Japanese players have bad taste!

I'm hoping that the comments about Class VII being involved are being exaggerated*, because it'll suck if they actually have a big role (like if there are 3 "routes" like in Reverie and one is Rean-focused). I'm fine with them just being a part of the story.

Edit: I want Ash to meet Van, that'd be a fun pairing.

* the language literally just seems to say "some members of Class VII will appear," which isn't a big deal by itself (heck, it's technically true of Daybreak 1). It also says the game will "revolve around Van," so it sounds like he won't get sidelined or anything. It might be as simple as "this is a concluding game for Zemuria, so it makes sense for everyone to show up."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 29, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it's been too long since CS4 but the returning character I wanted the most for Calvard was Student Council President Ash Carbide (and maybe the rest of new VII as well) and if this is how they facilitate that I will appreciate it.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Remember that opinion of a game is reflected as much in the sales of its subsequent entries as the sales of the game itself. Remember the famous example of Mega Man Battle Network 4, 5 and 6. If Daybreak sold poorly, then you should expect that it's because Cold Steel 4 or Reverie were received poorly, which I can totally believe.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Einander posted:

Remember that opinion of a game is reflected as much in the sales of its subsequent entries as the sales of the game itself. Remember the famous example of Mega Man Battle Network 4, 5 and 6. If Daybreak sold poorly, then you should expect that it's because Cold Steel 4 or Reverie were received poorly, which I can totally believe.

This is nonsense, you're basically reverse-engineering an explanation for poor sales from a thing you already believed. Poor sales for Daybreak could very easily be a result of oversaturation of the franchise and not poor reception to an individual entry. Besides, if you're gonna blame a game for Daybreak's poor sales, why would you pick CSIV instead of just Reverie? And why would they keep shoving Class VII into games if the reception to CSIV and Reverie is as dire as you're assuming it is?

I'm not saying this to defend CSIV, it's just a bad explanation.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Arist posted:

This is nonsense, you're basically reverse-engineering an explanation for poor sales from a thing you already believed. Poor sales for Daybreak could very easily be a result of oversaturation of the franchise and not poor reception to an individual entry. Besides, if you're gonna blame a game for Daybreak's poor sales, why would you pick CSIV instead of just Reverie? And why would they keep shoving Class VII into games if the reception to CSIV and Reverie is as dire as you're assuming it is?

I'm not saying this to defend CSIV, it's just a bad explanation.

I'm not saying it's definitely the answer, man. I'd say you're actually offering up my own argument to me, because "oversaturation of the series" is what I was gesturing at with "CS4 or Reverie" rather than just naming the game I liked less. (It's Reverie.) Maybe I should have been more explicit about that, but there's some sacrifices to attempted brevity.

"why would they keep shoving Class VII into games"? I don't know, why do creators ever misread their audiences? It happens.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Daybreak was legit loving poo poo at launch, you treat your customers poorly just like your musicians, you get poo poo

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I heard Daybreak 2 was kind of received not that well because it came out so soon after Daybreak 1 and was kind of a 'filler' game meant to be a Trails game for the year. Also, Daybreak 1 wasn't as well advertised, and I guess for Daybreak 2 there was a delay of the Switch version, which apparently sells gangbusters

That, and the series is pretty long at this point; some considered Reverie a natural conclusion and dropped off

edit: Just bad opinions posting, cause Reverie (just got done with Act 3 for Lloyd and C routes) might be my favorite Trails game next to CS2 and Sky 3rd

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 29, 2024

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Daybreak sold like 50K copies between both the PS4 and PS5 versions at launch, Reverie sold over double that before it even released in the west and Cold Steel sold more than even Reverie did. Daybreak 2 sold even worse. I don't know how the Switch versions or PC versions have sold, but it's no big surprise that after the sales were so disappointing and the response to Daybreak 2 was so tepid, that they're shoving Class VII into the next game and making them a major focus to attract fans that lost interest.

It's just also a problem Falcom created entirely by themselves because of how they handled the series from Cold Steel 3 onwards, pushing out a game every year unless it's an Ys year and getting diminishing returns as a result in addition to launching the games not fully feature complete because Falcom's shareholders are insane and demand a new game every year from a tiny developer. Seriously, if you live in Japan you got a much better experience waiting a few months for basic QoL stuff and extra story content to be patched in than playing at launch, that's been true of Reverie, Daybreak 1 and Daybreak 2 so far.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Western launch days have been a clusterfuck yeah. Kinda hoping that Kuro being on PC already will limit that damage. Isn't Hatsuu back on localisation duties? Was she involved with Reverie as well?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i say Reverie was way more Crossbell heavy than Class VII given that 2/3 teams were more on that side than the the other, Class VII barely had any lines comparably.
its like saying why they keep shoving Estelle into the games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looking forward to Rean once again having a crisis of confidence and getting his rear end beat by some random bandits so he can have a game-long arc of regaining his confidence and finally stepping up to be a true high-rank hero but this time his hair turns golden.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Are you capable of making any other posts in this thread, or

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

same, but unironically, and tries to self-sacrifice, and everyone is like damnit, we need a babysister with Rean at all times

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

Are you capable of making any other posts in this thread, or

Sorry, but every time I try I end up losing in a cutscene and then someone cooler than me has to come in and make the same post instead. It's tragic really.

GateOfD posted:

same, but unironically, and tries to self-sacrifice, and everyone is like damnit, we need a babysister with Rean at all times

This is what the Ride-Along attachments should do. Every time Rean tries to do something dumb a cute plushie version of whoever you have attached hits him on the head.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm guessing Rean returns so that he and Shizuna can do some rivalistic bullshit But On Camera This Time.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

GateOfD posted:

Yea, whoever wants it, I can wait, I’m in no rush to recoup what I can

I saw Estelle preorder is up, but I never played Sky.
All I know of her is from post Zero/azure. I really need Renne though

I'll surrender the opportunity to whoever else. The earliest I can justify something like that is well after the winter, which absolutely kills my finances.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Based on what I’ve heard about Van, I’m looking forward to possible conversation between him and Rean where Rean tells Van to drop the loner act and stop pushing his friends and loved ones away; coming from Rean’s own experience of trying to shoulder his burdens by himself and never letting his friends help until he broke and almost lost himself

Edit:

Tesseraction posted:

I'm guessing Rean returns so that he and Shizuna can do some rivalistic bullshit But On Camera This Time.

And the run-back as well

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 29, 2024

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

ImpAtom posted:

Sorry, but every time I try I end up losing in a cutscene and then someone cooler than me has to come in and make the same post instead. It's tragic really.

Look, myself and Hwurmp are S-Rank poo poo posters. I, for one, am still holding back.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Looking forward to Rean once again having a crisis of confidence and getting his rear end beat by some random bandits so he can have a game-long arc of regaining his confidence and finally stepping up to be a true high-rank hero but this time his hair turns golden.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm ok with Rean still having these crises of confidence because I think he's the most realistic portrayal of Major Depression in an RPG character, and it's unrealistic that any amount of major life events will ever truly clear that up.

Edit
Though it'd be cool if he snaps out of it faster and/or seems happier outside of his crises.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 29, 2024

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm ok with Rean still having these crises of confidence because I think he's the most realistic portrayal of Major Depression in an RPG character, and it's unrealistic that any amount of major life events will ever truly clear that up.

Yeah, I like that he has ups and downs, progress and relapses, crashes and building himself up again, and negative traits that he continuously needs to work on and keep in check. And especially his low confidence and self worth issues; that I actually sympathize and relate to. To me that makes him a really compelling character.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

Based on what I’ve heard about Van, I’m looking forward to possible conversation between him and Rean where Rean tells Van to drop the loner act and stop pushing his friends and loved ones away; coming from Rean’s own experience of trying to shoulder his burdens by himself and never letting his friends help until he broke and almost lost himself

Edit:

And the run-back as well

Van's already learned that lesson by the end of Daybreak 1 and isn't like that in 2. Mind you, Rean learned that lesson like 4 different goddamn times so maybe Van will revert back to how he was.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I mean, the person he gets his rear end beat by at Reverie's start is literally supposed to be one of the most powerful people there, constantly talked about in the same breath as Aurelia and Victor. So I don't know why people here constantly like to talk about it as though he got beat by Gilbert or something.

And it seems people also like to complain about overpowered protagonists who can beat everything, and also like to complain about Rean not being one.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Rean's confidence issues is fine because for most of his career, he was thrown around by politics and had to follow orders, so the regret he was used like that makes sense. He needs to accept the fame more though and use it as a power to push things more forward, and just go 'gently caress you, do you know who i am' once in a while.

Llyod is great because he talks back against people that try to use him most of the time and will push back against authority if it smells wrong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyouni posted:

I mean, the person he gets his rear end beat by at Reverie's start is literally supposed to be one of the most powerful people there, constantly talked about in the same breath as Aurelia and Victor. So I don't know why people here constantly like to talk about it as though he got beat by Gilbert or something.

And it seems people also like to complain about overpowered protagonists who can beat everything, and also like to complain about Rean not being one.

I don't think people have a huge problem with incredibly strong protagonists in RPGs, a genre where you frequently go and beat up a god with a sword.

I don't think it is a problem if your protagonist isn't on that level (Estelle rules) but Rean has had 5 games of development, 4 different kinds of plot power, has won (or close enough to won) duels against the strongest people out there. (Unless they were just holding back of course), and in general is presented as being someone who by all rights should be presented in the same league as the other Divine Blades and supernaturally gifted people.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 29, 2024

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I dunno, because the others have literal an extra Rean's lifetime worth of training on top, for instance? Why should Rean be the person who can take on anyone in the setting solo, especially the people listed as heads of their school and strongest in Erebonia?

(I also wouldn't count vs. Cassius as an actual duel given the whole point was to serve as a test.)

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think people have a huge problem with incredibly strong protagonists in RPGs, a genre where you frequently go and beat up a god with a sword.

I don't think it is a problem if your protagonist isn't on that level (Estelle rules) but Rean has had 5 games of development, 4 different kinds of plot power, has won (or close enough to won) duels against the strongest people out there. (Unless they were just holding back of course), and in general is presented as being someone who by all rights should be presented in the same league as the other Divine Blades and supernaturally gifted people.

It doesn’t really bother me, he just got promoted to Divine Blade so there’s still room for him to keep growing. In fighting game terms he just entered at the bottom of the Diamond League where the Diagos and SonicFoxes live so it makes sense to me that he can throw down but still kind of struggles with the Aurelias, Victors, and in Reverie Matteus Vander.

And this got spoiler for me but in Reverie, Act 3 of Rean’s route: he fights, for all intents and purposes, fellow Divine Blade Arios solo and wins. Yeah I know that Arios is a Life Model Decoy but they’re explicitly said to be such exact copies that they don’t even know they’re robots and have the exact power and abilities of the original.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 29, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyouni posted:

I dunno, because the others have literal an extra Rean's lifetime worth of training on top, for instance? Why should Rean be the person who can take on anyone in the setting solo, especially the people listed as heads of their school and strongest in Erebonia?

(I also wouldn't count vs. Cassius as an actual duel given the whole point was to serve as a test.)

Because due to the nature of the story the story keeps going "Wow, this guy is so absurdly strong, they're more than able to stand on our level." You can't even argue age because there are plenty of characters who get the same treatment who are Rean's age or younger. Like Trails is not a game franchise where age = power and skill.

Like I don't expect Rean to defeat Aurelia because she is the strongest swordswoman of the age but the fact that he can fight on her level means he's at least in the same ballpark.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 29, 2024

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Linear power scaling is a huge drag, and I, for one, blame Akira Toriyama.

Please, fiction writers, I beg of you. Don't use linear power scaling.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Take the Grendel

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Power levels is my least favorite discussion about the series. They're always inconsistent.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Selenephos posted:

Power levels is my least favorite discussion about the series. They're always inconsistent.

And they loving should be

Duvalie beat Loewe once. Linear power scaling is bullshit. At the moment in time when Aurelia fought Victor, she was superior. It is less clear if that is the case for Arianrhod, given the convo with her in her trial.

It is nonsense in all fiction. It's OK if character A loses to character B.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

And they loving should be

Duvalie beat Loewe once. Linear power scaling is bullshit. At the moment in time when Aurelia fought Victor, she was superior. It is less clear if that is the case for Arianrhod, given the convo with her in her trial.

It is nonsense in all fiction. It's OK if character A loses to character B.

I would agree with this 100% if it worked in both directions but usually doesn't. If the protagonists lose it is because the opponent was superior. If the NPC loses it's usually because the opponent was holding back. I don't think anyone would object to "How did Strong McCoollady lose" when the answer is "Because she was fighting 6 on 1 against talented opponents."

I don't think Trails would lose anything if the protagonists won more fights because they are almost always fighting at a number advantage anyway so it doesn't make someone look weak if they went "poo poo, I underestimated them" and back off, especially in Trails of Cold Steel where the protagonists explicitly have a cool prototype system that allows for perfect teamwork.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 29, 2024

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

But Rean and Class 7 are winning fights with no “I’m holding back” caveats by NPCs in CS4 and Reverie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rean Schwarzer is mostly portrayed as very strong/capable and generally wins all his fights as of CS4 (he usually got draws in CS3) and this whole thing about "wow so Rean needed to get saved by NPCs again" feels like a CS2 problem that people have convinced themselves applies to the later titles too. A joke popular enough that people forced themselves to keep repeating it even as it became less relevant to the series.