Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I know a lot of people don't like Wally's kids for one reason or another, and maybe the Adams run wasn't their cup of tea either. But I'd highly suggest everyone give them a shot with Spurrier's Flash run so far.

It was the Adams run where I came around on the twins. I like them in Spurrier's run too, even if they're maybe written to sound a bit too old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

It was the Adams run where I came around on the twins. I like them in Spurrier's run too, even if they're maybe written to sound a bit too old?

They're now 13 I guess which is whatever and I think all of the writers who've written for them don't have a great time writing their dialogue in a way that feels their age consistently (Ivey said she was "13 and a half" which is not a thing a 13yo would say). That puts them at the same age as Damian unless his age has also been ticked up in the background just due to passage of time (and the same would go for other characters like Jon)

On the subject of writers writing young people but it feels off, there's another book right now coming out that focuses on Avery and Wallace and I have honestly have no clue if that's how people their age talk or if it's just their impression as people a decade+ their senior.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pretty much every writer sucks at writing teenage dialogue.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Duke should yell "Yo Joe!" before every fight.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Dawgstar posted:

It's funny, they were de-aged a bit for Adams' run, which worked because he was doing the wholesome family bonding stuff which suits younger kids. Right down to asking his own young daughter about stuff to write Irey. But they were depicted as basically younger than they ever were (not counting the like 2 months they were babies before Infinite Crisis). They seemed roughly 8-9 with Adams instead of the 10-11 they were before Flashpoint.

Now with Spurrier there's a clear jump in depiction of age, both visually and narratively. 13 years old might be where you'd expect the kids to be if they never got erased from the comics, like Damian. And that would track given how they were reintroduced (they had just been stuck in the Dark Multiverse in a torturous existence for years). But it is a bit of whiplash going from Adams to Spurrier. Adams run feels like it should've taken immediately after Wild Wests back in 2008, really, while Spurrier's is more suited for now. It's just we had a whole lot of Didio loving things up in between.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Batman #561

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tax slightly more on the richest people? Just loving spend the money and not worry about budgets like we do for every loving war?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Air Skwirl posted:

Tax slightly more on the richest people? Just loving spend the money and not worry about budgets like we do for every loving war?

No it has to be budget neutral. Bruce Wayne is a deficit hawk.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Have you seen some fond fucker flying a batshaped plane and car? Tax the fucker

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
well at least its an honest depiction of a billionaire

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I feel like America could not buy 20 Billion Dollar Warplanes and could half that at least. Like lowering the Military spending is by far the easiest thing in my eyes given that tons of it is not even used.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I feel like America could not buy 20 Billion Dollar Warplanes and could half that at least. Like lowering the Military spending is by far the easiest thing in my eyes given that tons of it is not even used.

Uhm, no everything about the American economy is predicated on insane military budgets.

I mean, honestly we could, but it would require a complete revamp of how America functions.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Air Skwirl posted:

Uhm, no everything about the American economy is predicated on insane military budgets.

I mean, honestly we could, but it would require a complete revamp of how America functions.

Medicare and Medicaid both take up more of the US budget than military spending

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

It keeps the lights on.

thetoughestbean posted:

Medicare and Medicaid both take up more of the US budget than military spending

Are you stupid?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

No we need those planes to be ready for the war against China we will instantly lose.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

"Cut a subsidy program. No, not the subsidy for Gotham I'm begging for. Shut up"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Considering it was published in 1999, people reacting with profound astonishment to a billionaire calling for the budget to remain the same but to be re-allocated seems correct. That'd be like hearing Mark Cuban quote Lenin on TV (in a laudatory way)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bruce is arguing for more crime to keep him sated on vigilante juice

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Kinda okay with how Beast World ended.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I'm still mad about Chester.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I'm still mad about Chester.

Sometimes you just kill a character for little reason. What a waste though.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mr Hootington posted:

Are you stupid?

You’re right, I was using older information. Current info has the highest federal allocation of the budget on Social Security

Nessus posted:

Considering it was published in 1999, people reacting with profound astonishment to a billionaire calling for the budget to remain the same but to be re-allocated seems correct. That'd be like hearing Mark Cuban quote Lenin on TV (in a laudatory way)

Yeah you kind of have to take the politics for a series in the context of when it was written. This was the end of the Clinton era! Things were way more fiscally conservative back then (and a good deal socially more conservative too)

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 31, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Anyway.

The bad politics of batman is always funny.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
That particular Bad Politics Batman was also written by Bad Politics Man Chuck Dixon, for what it's worth.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dixon started off the 90s as a squishy lib in his batman books. Something during the Clinton era caused him to go harder right.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

My money's on "hit with sexual harassment suit"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Was gonna say 9/11 but he was long off the Bat books by then I think

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

What?

Edit: to the sexual harassment thing

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Just idle speculation, no idea if that's what happened and unwilling to look it up, but it's been a fairly common element in many people's excuses for going hard right.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Azubah posted:

Kinda okay with how Beast World ended.

I'm sure there'll be ramifications for BB after this that could be interesting, but it was clearly foreshadowed at the beginning of this which doesn't feel all that common so that's kinda refreshing.

Waller taking over the Hall of Justice and now using it as her new base of operations is a pretty amusing turn of events.

Meanwhile, Batman Off-World is still fun. The easiest way to summarize the premise and sell it is "Early career Batman got beaten up by an alien so he decided to go to space to learn how to beat up aliens and spread the myth of Batman"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm sure there'll be ramifications for BB after this that could be interesting, but it was clearly foreshadowed at the beginning of this which doesn't feel all that common so that's kinda refreshing.

Waller taking over the Hall of Justice and now using it as her new base of operations is a pretty amusing turn of events.

Meanwhile, Batman Off-World is still fun. The easiest way to summarize the premise and sell it is "Early career Batman got beaten up by an alien so he decided to go to space to learn how to beat up aliens and spread the myth of Batman"

That is synergy with the Suicide Squad game.

I'm kind of wallered out now.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh no. Oh god. what the gently caress. Nope.
No. "No thank you." :buddy: What the fck Thomas King go straight to jail? Fuuuuck this.

:cripes: haha jesus Christ. Actually the worst thing I've read in years, this is bona fide trash :toot:

Like it's not the literal worst thing I could have imagined, I guess, but I certainly did not have "young Diana fully sucker-punching her mother in a fit of pique" on the list of Crude Tasteless Tom King poo poo That Could Happen Wjat the gently caress

Is this seriously the sort of thing that King thinks makes the character cool and interesting? That she would cold clock her own mother to make a stupid point? Is Lizzie doing the same thing to Diana years down the line supposed to make her seem like a great cool loving daughter? Fuuuck that.

It's also not even the only poo poo thing in this issue! (it's definitely the worst tho)\ In the first moments of the only new story in this overpriced "Trinity Special," Diana claims that she's not like Clark and can't outrun bullets.

Uh. No? What? Tom King blink twice if you're okay? Like I'm completely fine with the idea that WW is not actually as strong or fast as Superman but she can definitely go faster than bullets and does so constantly?? I??

Next up: the very idea that the bullets and bracelets contest is often fatal to the participating Amazons is nonsense. It has literally never been true and is stupid. The idea that they wouldn't take every sort of precaution in this contest to safeguard their precious sisters, the idea that they're constantly fighting in these contests to the death, is the sort of crude, barbaric interpretation of Amazon mindsets that only the most thoughtless edgelords could think of. As seen in Rebirth when Steve Trevor freaks out at them shooting each other only to find out that they're perfectly prepared to take care of the contestants with healers on standby, it's something that you might think about the Amazons if you don't actually know their culture all that well, and yet King is here playing their recklessness completely straight! It perfectly illustrates why King's portrayal of them has been off since the beginning, that he'll say that this is a loving culture of sisterhood and peace, but then actually show them as backwards savages who'll solve everything with shows of violence, if not literally killing each other in adherence to senseless "laws" and empty "honor."

Finally (I guess? I think? For now at least?): King claims that Hippolyta has a mother? What? Is he thinking of Historia Hippolyta, who was a mortal woman before she joined the ranks of the Amazons? Look, I'd only be all too happy to canonize Historia, but last we checked it's definitely still an AU, and all mainline canon Hippolytas were created by the gods so she definitely doesn't have a mother, which is super basic WW lore that I'm......sure that you know, right Tom King? Right? Please say sike??

This is all just...it's turning out like all of King's oeuvre, where he has clear moments of good stuff from time to time, but at the end of the day it's still Tom King, he's still That Guy who thinks grittiness and violence is the same as maturity and depth. Every time you think he's gotten it out of the system, you find that there's still more there. There's no end to the well lol. I used to say that I would withstand anything, the worst writing in the world, if only we get clay origin back. Well this is sure loving putting that creed to the loving test for sure 'cuz we got clay back, and in return we get Diana One Punching her own mother. :haw:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

What in the world

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
But uhhh in other news Alan Scott #4 was fantastic, and I thought Beast World had a great showing for Donna Troy <3

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's gonna turn out all of the WW book is just one long elaborate lie from the King of America and the actual events in the book are similar but totally different. But, yeah, great hero moment for Donna and shows a totally different dynamic with the Titans team she Nightwing trusts her with some of the weakness dossiers every Batfam member seems to keep

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Sometimes you just kill a character for little reason. What a waste though.

It's just so loving dumb that Wally sees Waller announce the death of Chunk and literally never says a thing about it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Here's a question for Hootington, and any classic Clayface fans: do I need to read Secret Origins 44 before Mud Pack, or is it skippable?

Also, any fav Clayface comics?

It is interesting that there are several Clayfaces. I have read Batman 400 which was cool and I guess featured the second Clayface who was a treasure hunter not an actor. This Mud Pack thing sounds wild. I intend to read all the Grant/Greyfogle (with Wagner for first five issues) stuff sometime too.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Wow, you mean Tom King, the guy who has on his every book decided to be a giant edgelord who does not care if he's rewriting a character as long as he gets to break them to fit his mold has written an edgelord, character breaking story?
Man, I never expected that to happen!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

They should be forbidden from having a flashback scene in a comic book ever again. Also no more alluding to somebody being a secret lost sibling maybe like in Court of Owls.

Also, I found this cool old Alan Grant / Norm Breyfogle interview about the Batman run. It is interesting to hear Detective Comics was selling so poorly it was at a loss, before they came on, and this was around 1987. Batman: Year 2 was pretty mediocre...

https://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2007/01/batman-alan-grant-norm-breyfogle-speak.html

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I'm also in the camp of very done with baan or anyone's forgotten old acquaintance who is as gifted and powerful as them.
This goes for Hush and Ghost-maker this new just awful batman-but-kills hero/villain? Bah!