Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The Neal! posted:

Sounds like you want to play Myst or Riven or whatever the more contemporary equivalent of those games is?

That would be Outer Wilds and Return of the Obra Din. Both available on Switch (and both significantly better than Tunic).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I bought Outer Wilds when it was released and I haven't touched it. I want to finish at least Pikmin 4 before I do. On my back-log I currently have: Pikmin 4, FE: Engage, Steamworld Quest, Metroid Prime, and Outer Wilds. I also never finished Omori and I'm not sure if I will. (Also just got some 3DS games but that's a whole other story).

I have so many games that I'd like to get too. I do wonder if I'd bother with a Switch 2. I could be happy with the 1 for so long. It's going to really depend on the compatibility and the eventual games, but the Switch is the only thing I would really need for a long while. If it's not 100% backwards compatible with transferable purchases I'll likely sit out for a long time. As much as I enjoy some online experiences, like Smash or Splatoon, it's not really that worth it. The single player games will be what I want, but I'll get to them eventually once I beat everything I want on Switch.

I know a lot of you do gaming with your children, and we're about to have our first, fingers crossed, but I'll probably follow the model I had, which was first console around 6-8 and somewhat controlled gaming times (couldn't play much during the week/day, but as long as I woke up before my folks I could play all I wanted). Because of that I feel the Switch will pretty much handle all our needs for the immediate future.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

does using any video out through the usb-c enable the docked performance profile or is there a way to output the ‘handheld’ video

I'm pretty sure you can set TV output to 720p in the system settings, which is probably the closest you can get.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Super No Vacancy posted:

does using any video out through the usb-c enable the docked performance profile or is there a way to output the ‘handheld’ video

Moddable Switch can do this. You can use docked/stock tegra clocks with the undocked graphics settings.

Iirc it's currently how digital foundry captures undocked footage; by setting docked mode to output the undocked settings (with no overclocking, obv).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 28, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sheesh 2811 games are on sale. That’s the most I can remember

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Ok speculation here

I think the explosion in popularity of online stores has made it so forwards backward compatibility is expected from now on. People have dumped so much money into their online libraries that they’ll be upset if it doesn’t have some ongoing permanence

The fact that PS5 has backwards compat might’ve saved it from a massive drop in popularity this generation with the shortage of PS5 exclusives

True, :lol: and if I hadn't had several PS4 games that promised a free upgrade to the PS5-versions, I wouldn't have upgraded to a PS5 when my old console died last year. I'd have just repaired my PS4 and called it a day.

Those PS5-games are the only new games I own for the system now, in the middle of a sea of old PS4-titles. But hey, if the new Mana-title won't get a Switch-release, that'll be the very first real PS5-game I will buy!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my sister and i used to play the ever loving hell out of pocky and rocky for the snes back in the day, so i got her reshrined for her birthday. and, well, we game over'd like a dozen times in level 1. goddamn.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

my sister and i used to play the ever loving hell out of pocky and rocky for the snes back in the day, so i got her reshrined for her birthday. and, well, we game over'd like a dozen times in level 1. goddamn.

LoL, nostalgia can taste bitter from time to time.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Bug Squash posted:

That would be Outer Wilds and Return of the Obra Din. Both available on Switch (and both significantly better than Tunic).

Also Chants of Sennaar (sp?) for one involving learning a fictional language like Tunic.
(Tunic) Yes I know the "language'" in Tunic is just an alphabet for spelling English

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 28, 2024

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

lol hell yeah

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Steve Yun posted:

Sheesh 2811 games are on sale. That’s the most I can remember

- I thought people were joking but that sure is a lot of games with hentai in the name
- Goddamn Skyrim is $35 USD on sale, which means it's $70 dollars normally. And people were giving Atlus poo poo for releasing the Persona 3 remake at full price.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s worth $70

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

mycot posted:

- I thought people were joking but that sure is a lot of games with hentai in the name
- Goddamn Skyrim is $35 USD on sale, which means it's $70 dollars normally. And people were giving Atlus poo poo for releasing the Persona 3 remake at full price.

The amount of shovelware and hentai trash really doesn't help the sluggish, and uncurated storefront.
Threads on here, and youtube videos hilighting steals, and a bit of dekudeals is how I mostly find games these days. I keep imagining standing in front of a shelf at Walmart, moving to the next display, and the world freezing for 30 seconds until my vision returns. Every time I turn my head, I could expect the same experience.
No way would I go back.

Or, go up to customer service and ask if there's anything on sale. They hand you a single sheet with 5 games on it. You ask if they have anything else. "Oh sure, thousands of game. In fact, more than 2 thousand are on sale right now."
Can I see some more?
Sure! As they run to the back warehouse, returning with a Polaroid they took of the next 5 games. You wait as it develops.
Hmmm. Can I see a few more? Sure! I'll be right back.
Another Polaroid.
The manager is screaming
"NETWORK ERROR! EVERYONE OUT NOW!"
Suddenly you're standing in the parking lot, being drenched with rain.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 28, 2024

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Item Getter posted:

Also Chants of Sennaar (sp?) for one involving learning a fictional language like Tunic.
(Tunic) Yes I know the "language'" in Tunic is just an alphabet for spelling English

I just finished Chants of Senaar yesterday; good game and the language deciphering is the best one I've played in a game so far, but why the gently caress does it have stealth missions? Get those stealth missions the gently caress out of this otherwise great game. Fortunately the stealth is pretty easy and forgiving, just not enjoyable. In fact, the ending is dragged out just so it can give you several more stealth missions.

I do recommend the PC version though since you'll want to type a lot of guesses.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

B33rChiller posted:

The amount of shovelware and hentai trash really doesn't help the sluggish, and uncurated storefront.
Threads on here, and youtube videos hilighting steals, and a bit of dekudeals is how I mostly find games these days. I keep imagining standing in front of a shelf at Walmart, moving to the next display, and the world freezing for 30 seconds until my vision returns. Every time I turn my head, I could expect the same experience.
No way would I go back.

Or, go up to customer service and ask if there's anything on sale. They hand you a single sheet with 5 games on it. You ask if they have anything else. "Oh sure, thousands of game. In fact, more than 2 thousand are on sale right now."
Can I see some more?
Sure! As they run to the back warehouse, returning with a Polaroid they took of the next 5 games. You wait as it develops.
Hmmm. Can I see a few more? Sure! I'll be right back.
Another Polaroid.
The manager is screaming
"NETWORK ERROR! EVERYONE OUT NOW!"
Suddenly you're standing in the parking lot, being drenched with rain.

Yeah the number of games to scroll through is why I use email alerts on psprices.com

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

mycot posted:

And people were giving Atlus poo poo for releasing the Persona 3 remake at full price.

anyone doing this can be summarily disregarded in all matters

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
they're charging full price for persona 3 and they're gonna charge full price for the upcoming persona 3 girl version too

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You should just be a Nintendo fan and know what good games are coming out. Just buy whatever they tell you to

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You should just be a Nintendo fan and know what good games are coming out. Just buy whatever they tell you to

:yeah:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Vampire Survivors added a whole new base game.

I paid two dollars for this game and I've probably put 500 hours in it. Can I give these devs money somehow because I feel bad

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

mdemone posted:

I paid two dollars for this game and I've probably put 500 hours in it. Can I give these devs money somehow because I feel bad

What do you mean new base game?

I just checked (on Steam), and the most recent thing I see is the AmongUs collab DLC, but that says it just adds new characters and a new stage, it doesn't mention anything like new mechanics or something.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Annath posted:

What do you mean new base game?

I just checked (on Steam), and the most recent thing I see is the AmongUs collab DLC, but that says it just adds new characters and a new stage, it doesn't mention anything like new mechanics or something.

Unlock "Adventures" by finding the Atlas Whatever in Boss Rash

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mdemone posted:

Just buy all of it on multiple systems

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Len posted:

Just buy all of it on multiple systems

:hmmyes:

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
puyo puyo tetris for the switch is good imo.

it ain't as good as puyo puyo sun for n64 though

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Sick avvy bro. Nice.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

An Actual Princess posted:

Sick avvy bro. Nice.

im a broke college student i can't be bothered to change it back

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you should be at the club

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i refuse to believe college aged people know what something awful is

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Soul Glo posted:

i refuse to believe college aged people know what something awful is

My wife is 42 and she’s a college student. She makes good money and has a couple of degrees already but she wants to be a nurse now so…?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
my wife got a caved in face

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What is the song being sampled/referenced in the mario wonder athletic theme? I swear it's incorporating some song from another mario game but I can't tell which

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

What is the song being sampled/referenced in the mario wonder athletic theme? I swear it's incorporating some song from another mario game but I can't tell which

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVhAkQuZvLQ ?

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
My partner and I over the weekend kicked Bowser Castle to the curb. I gotta say that Wonder was one of our best co-op games we've ever done together. Did anyone else think it was a bit short, though?

Anyway, does the thread have any other good co-op suggestions for a very casual gaming partner? She likes 2D side scrollers and puzzle focused games that don't require a lot of tricky reflexes. Unraveled and Blanc went pretty well for us, if you've got suggestions in those territories. I'll come out and say stuff like shovel knight is too tricky. Pikmin and Mario Odyssey didn't fit the bill either (though they're very much my jam) because they were 3d and the second player experience was almost nothing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Got Virtua Racing for 2.50

feel like I spent 30 bucks in my lifetime on this game

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Whale Vomit posted:

My partner and I over the weekend kicked Bowser Castle to the curb. I gotta say that Wonder was one of our best co-op games we've ever done together. Did anyone else think it was a bit short, though?

Anyway, does the thread have any other good co-op suggestions for a very casual gaming partner? She likes 2D side scrollers and puzzle focused games that don't require a lot of tricky reflexes. Unraveled and Blanc went pretty well for us, if you've got suggestions in those territories. I'll come out and say stuff like shovel knight is too tricky. Pikmin and Mario Odyssey didn't fit the bill either (though they're very much my jam) because they were 3d and the second player experience was almost nothing.

It does feel short but it’s a good short

With they’d put out one last tent pole 3D Mario game before this platform’s done

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Oh yeah, duh

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Steve Yun posted:

It does feel short but it’s a good short

With they’d put out one last tent pole 3D Mario game before this platform’s done

Have you tried Yoshi's Crafted World? It's a very chill co-op experience. Game is very chill in general.

If you're looking for something a bit meatier, give Stardew a try.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Steve Yun posted:

maybe they'll do a botw with the next 3d mario game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

It’s actually this one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rEcOzjg7vBU